Forum bugs/annoyances

Comments

• PlagueFWCPlagueFWC ✭✭✭
    thnx for the update o/
    Updated the first post a bit as well
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    another tiny annoyance. no way to tell if you liked a post before or not. again, super minor, but meh.
  • PagesPages ✭✭✭
    "Arcknight wrote:
    @counterpoint I run 2 Ad-blocks and NoScript. However, even with all scripts allowed it still does not function. It has acted this way for a long time.

To the second, yes I am using IE currently. It just will not work on Firefox.

As for the last, that is what I followed and the only thing that is listed is what I am using currently. I might have been mistaken in thinking it was able to be changed after-the-fact. However, thinking about it, I may have already done it far in the past. Perhaps this one is not an issue after all? I use this handle for all manner of other things but I try to drop the numbers when possible.

I actually was also having problems with my Firefox and my problem was extension based. I don't know if yours is also extension based but if you are running an extension that forces secure websites, that can cause problems.

I know you say you're only running adblock and noscript, have you tried disabling everything in your Firefox and attempting/trying a clean install of Firefox? I'm not saying it'll work (especially considering you've likely already tried that) but it's worth a try if you haven't.
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I don't see anything on these forums that should have taken what 4-6 months to come up with I mean really a company spending money and time for 4-6 months cant get it done without cutting corners and saying that they will come back to it later? gotta be kidding me

On top of that a company that is making tons of money from Tera is talking about how much it would COST to finish a forum? is that just them saying well Tera isn't profitable anymore when people are spending 10-12k just to get tier 10 on their stupid loyalty system which is in itself pretty pathetic but cant cough up a little bit to finish a forum that a game uses?
    The forum project went through a bunch of different hands along the way and at least one completely-failed attempt due to a bad partner. It's not as though they've had a massive team working on this non-stop for months.

Besides that, EME just had pretty major round of layoffs recently (which contributed in part to the most recent delay), so I'm not sure it's really safe to say that they're making "tons of money". (You may think a few people spending 10-12k is a lot, but a company takes an awful lot to run by the time you consider salaries, overhead, taxes, expenses, equipment/facilities, and so on. The vast majority of F2P game players never pay a cent.) But besides that, it's not just about money, but about opportunity cost and other commitments. They're not going to go and here a bunch of new employees just to work on a forum project; they'll have their web team do it between other projects and commitments. So even if they had people on the community team doing planning and testing, there was only going to be a certain limited window when the IT and web teams were available to help.

In the end, coordinating and implementing projects like this isn't as easy as you make it sound for small teams, as they tend to be swayed from crisis to crisis and lower-priority projects like this have to be fit in as time allows. It's good that it's finally here. The Q&A Thread on the old forum sort of sheds some light on the process, and it's pretty in line with what is often seen in the industry.
  • Going to also agree that we need Server/Classes forums. While the classes forum wasn't super active, it was a place where a new player could look to for advice.
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭
    1. Default font size is too big. Give us the option to make it smaller, because it just makes things look messy.
    2. Posts aren't separated enough. You can barely tell where one post ends and another begins. It looks cluttered af.
    3. No icon showing when EME replied to a topic; too many icons on every damn thread in general. Every thread title on the forum doesn't need to have several shiny icons next to it. No, I don't need to know if a thread is new. If I want to read it, I'll read it.
    4. No class forums. How can people talk about their classes when all of them are lumped together into one? It's a mess.
    5. No server/character names. That helped add space and make the old forum look less cluttered.
    6. It's either the color scheme, or font size, or the fact that every post is squished on top of each other (honestly, I can't tell), but this forum is really difficult to focus on for people prone to headaches. I'm not the only one with this problem; I literally can't focus on the posts because of how disorganized it looks, and trying harder to just results in eye strain.

tl;dr: New forums are disorganized/cluttered/not enough sections, and are unusable for people prone to headaches. Guess I'm not posting in the TERA community anymore, save for Reddit. It's not worth the eye strain.
  • Mobius1Mobius1 ✭✭✭
    My main problem is that quoting is broken for me.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the mobile version, since I use forums on my Android, and not a PC.
  • PlagueFWCPlagueFWC ✭✭✭
    So what exactly are the benefits to switching to these forums? So far the only thing i can see which is an improvement is the notifications and the no more downvotes thing (and honestly, i couldn't care less about either of those.)

And on the negative end? User confusion, All ye olde posts gone (yes i know they're being archived. But who's even gonna remember that in a month or so). Looks messier, missing quite a few things everybody liked about the old forums.

I get that you guys at eme have been working on this quite a while. And you hope this would make us happy. But personally this is in no way an upgrade to me.
    sorrynotsorry

<3 plague
  • TstomixTstomix
    edited May 2016
    They're working on things, the forum has been out not even two days yet. A lot of stuff is user-based, so they had to wait until posts to really intensely 'test' the board. Like:

1. Between topics, there was nothing separating them when you went into a discussion board, that is now changed, they are alternating colors.
    2. The quoting system was odd, still a bit broken. The quoting background was the same color as the post, and looked clunky, that has changed.
    3. The 'character name' under our avatar, they will have to re-write the plug-in for that. It's not something built into the board system. It will also be different from the last forum board, it works in a completely different way!

These are some things that bugged me. Give them time!
  • PlagueFWCPlagueFWC ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Tstomix wrote: »
    They're working on things, the forum has been out not even two days yet. A lot of stuff is user-based, so they had to wait until posts to really intensely 'test' the board. Like:

1. Between topics, there was nothing separating them when you went into a discussion board, that is now changed, they are alternating colors.
    2. The quoting system was odd, still a bit broken. The quoting background was the same color as the post, and looked clunky, that has changed.
    3. The 'character name' under our avatar, they will have to re-write the plug-in for that. It's not something built into the board system. It will also be different from the last forum board, it works in a completely different way!

These are some things that bugged me. Give them time!

Which is exactly my point

Right now it's a lesser version of the forums we already have.
    After probably months of tweaks like the ones mentioned above, we'll end up with a forum exactly like the old one, with notifications and no more downvotes (which they could just remove from the old one)
  • One really cool addition is all of the avatar choices. Before there weren't nearly this many options when selecting an avatar for your forum profile :awesome:
  • PlagueFWCPlagueFWC ✭✭✭
    Ztoka wrote: »
    One really cool addition is all of the avatar choices. Before there weren't nearly this many options when selecting an avatar for your forum profile :awesome:

that really isn't a forum specific thingy. it's pretty ez to add more avatars to the old ones
  • NataxieNataxie
    edited May 2016
    Sometimes less is more. I like these new forums better. And when you disagree, you will need to speak up here, not just downvote everyone because they see things differently.
    But.. yeah, why didn't they remove the downvote from the old ones first? Because they were already working on these. For years. Yeap I am not being 100% serious here.
  • SquishiesSquishies ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Can we get a media/art/video subforum

Edit: Nevermind I just noticed the Creations and Events subforum. Still trying to get use to the visual layout.
  • GeletronGeletron admin
    edited May 2016
    Mobius1 wrote: »
    My main problem is that quoting is broken for me.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the mobile version, since I use forums on my Android, and not a PC.

We were missing a plugin to make quoting work properly with BBCode. I worked with Vanilla to track down the correct plugin and get it installed and turned on. Quoting should work much better now.