We're having maintenance Tuesday, November 20 from 8 - 11 am PDT (three hours).

Forum bugs/annoyances

1235»

Comments

• GeletronGeletron admin
    edited May 2016
    Mobius1 wrote: »
    My main problem is that quoting is broken for me.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the mobile version, since I use forums on my Android, and not a PC.

We were missing a plugin to make quoting work properly with BBCode. I worked with Vanilla to track down the correct plugin and get it installed and turned on. Quoting should work much better now.
  • Mobius1Mobius1 ✭✭✭
    It's still giving me the error "The text had to be converted from BBCode to TextEx, some formatting may be lost..."

And just says "null"
  • Geletron wrote: »

I'm wondering if it has to do with the mobile version, since I use forums on my Android, and not a PC.

We were missing a plugin to make quoting work properly with BBCode. I worked with Vanilla to track down the correct plugin and get it installed and turned on. Quoting should work much better now.

Well there's only one way to find out...
  • PlagueFWCPlagueFWC ✭✭✭
    Geletron wrote: »

Well there's only one way to find out...

well that looks a lot better
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Nataxie wrote: »
    But.. yeah, why didn't they remove the downvote from the old ones first? Because they were already working on these. For years. Yeap I am not being 100% serious here.
    That's actually basically the reason, from what they've said. The old forum was custom-written by someone who used to work at EME. A lot of things were kludgy and broken with it. The moderation features were abysmal. Features like voting weren't a Admin toggle (like you'd expect), but would require literally going through the code and commenting it out. Trying to fix up the old forums to do all the things they wanted and fix all the broken stuff would have meant someone new trying dig through someone else's old code, understanding what the heck it does, and trying to maintain it. But that's a waste of time and resources given that there are perfectly good solutions for this already on the market. So once they decided that they were going to move to a new forum, there was no reason to try to mess with that old code, but just say "we're getting rid of it soon anyway".

Basically this is a classic problem of someone reinventing the wheel, then moving on to another job, and the people left behind inherit this mess that no one else knows how to maintain. It's a big reason why the usual advice is to not reinvent the wheel, and instead integrate with something else that already handles it -- as they did here.

As someone who spent way too much time on the old forum, I really don't know how some of you guys have so much praise for it. That thing was buggy as heck and broken in so many ways. I can understand liking the visual design and layout, and the feature to link your character was a nice option, but I'll be quite happy no longer getting randomly logged out in the middle of writing a post, thank you very much...
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueFWC wrote: »
    So what exactly are the benefits to switching to these forums? So far the only thing i can see which is an improvement is the notifications and the no more downvotes thing (and honestly, i couldn't care less about either of those.)

And on the negative end? User confusion, All ye olde posts gone (yes i know they're being archived. But who's even gonna remember that in a month or so). Looks messier, missing quite a few things everybody liked about the old forums.

I get that you guys at eme have been working on this quite a while. And you hope this would make us happy. But personally this is in no way an upgrade to me.
    sorrynotsorry

<3 plague

i dont like the old forum, it is just i expected something of better, unfortunally gameforge beat us with their forum :(

• Merged forum feedback thread "I hate to be that guy..." since it was over the same topic as existing thread.
  • Okay, first of all; I'm rather new to the whole of the Tera Community, and after seeing this forum crop up after liking what I saw with the old forum, .. I kinda don't really like it.

First of all, the overall design and layout is way too cluttered.

On the homepage where the category hierarchy is listed; I think we need to swap bold on pretty much everything. The number of discussions, the number of comments, those don't need to be bolded. The latest post information doesn't need to be bolded. In fact, to be honest that entire column doesn't even need to exist. The hyperlink to open an individual forum should be bolded, and the description below the hyperlink should not be bolded.

On the forum listing itself; where each thread (or topic, whatever the term is here) is listed, there's far too many icons splattered all about.

For announcement threads, instead of a teeny tiny little "announcement" description under the thread title, it should physically be separated from the general topic/thread list, and have a header for announcements, then a header for normal threads. ... as far as everything else goes... First of all, drop the whole "Started by" column. We don't need an entire column for who started the thread/topic. Instead, the primary column where the hyperlink to take you into the thread should have a linebreak, then By: Link to users' profile. Of course the users' profile link being unbolded and a smaller font-size than that of the thread/topic title. Bold the hyperlink to the thread/topic. Let's drop the whole # new "tag" thing for threads where there's been new replies to them, and simply use an icon instead. .. Better yet, let's have an overall icon to the far left of each thread in the list, allowing us to overlay certain other marks or icons to specify what's what with the thread. For fully-read threads, set the opacity of this icon to 50% or so, so it appears to be "dimmed out". Overlay a EnMasse logo on the thread icon if one of you EnMasse representatives reply to the thread. .. This is an absolute necessity, especially with this forum being pseudo support-related, since it appears the PR team constantly checks this forum. .. Anyways, went off on a tangent; let's unbold the replies and views columns to coincide with the updated forum home page, and here we can keep the last poster information. .. And one thing I don't like is how hyperlinks and static text is the same exact color. This ... is a terrible web-design decision to make. People like visual clues to let them know something can be interacted with. On the old forum, all hyperlinks were blue, whereas standard text was white. Why can't we bring that back? The only thing blue on the thread listing now is the miniature pagination that shows up for multi-page threads/topics.

Now, as far as thread/topic view goes, this is about as good as it gets, however there are some changes that should be done here as well. Let's drop the light-slategray header where the users' profile link is and the time (or date) the post was made, eliminating that visual break between posts. Let's lighten the background of individual posts up slightly, and allow the margins between posts to act as the border between threads. Place the users' profile hyperlink centered above the users' avatar. As far as the hyperlink for the date/time, drop it down into the same row as the Flag, Quote and Like hyperlinks are, but float it to the right. This will allow the content of the thread to be a little easier to flow from one post to another, while still having a bit of a visual clue that each post are by a separate user.

.. And for the love of God, those bright-blue bars at the top and bottom of the forum, let's tone that down a bit. It's far too bright compared to the rest of the forum design. .. and those super-bright yellow buttons below this text box.. Ick.
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    ...quote removed for brevity...

Honestly, there's nothing that wrong with this design style -- it is a valid style, and this is all based on a standard template. While I think a few of the adjustments you proposed wouldn't be so bad, I think at this point it's better to just focus on small CSS tweaks and implementing beneficial functionality rather than trying to force a whole other design paradigm onto Vanilla's UI style. If they hated this design paradigm that much, they probably should have chosen a whole other software package, but that ship has sailed. Most of those things I think most people will just get used to in time, just like they got used to old forums in time.
  • PlagueFWCPlagueFWC ✭✭✭
    Not really an annoyance or bug, just wondering what this is:

dFHXnZv.png
1235»