[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Anniversary Tokens [Updated 5/30/17]

Comments

• I'm not a fan of them becoming un-tradable. I don't want to have to pvp all day on my valk just so I can afford a costume for my priest. As it stands dungeons jackpot isn't even worth the time compared to the 8 the bg jackpot gives for time spent. I understand the premise is "do you want to buy now or potentially save for something better next week" which kind of sucks to begin with but meh.
  • Magichan wrote: »
    *OR* maybe casuals arent supposed to afford the top prizes every single week? Maybe the hardcores can aim to get everything while the casuals can save up for something nice?

I have to ask, how many games have you played during their anniversary? Every single one I played (except for TERA) gave the players something good that wasn't contingent upon grinding HUNDREDS of hrs. Anniversaries are universally celebrated because players look forward to it. ALL players. Rewards were available to both long term players and players who just started playing. It was a celebration of the game, and further, a celebration of the PLAYERS that played to make it successful. It wasn't just for max level characters. Rewards went to both winners and losers. Rewards went to PVPers and PVEers, and those who did other activities in-game.

One of the anniversary "activities" is GIFT GIVING. Buying cash shop gifts for your friends to show your appreciation for their continued support. Sadly, EME is so greedy that they only care about receiving gifts, and not about GIVING them. In years past we had letter gathering, blue boxes, and other things that EVERYONE could participate in. It never required that you be level capped and max geared. Bonuses went to people for running dungeons and participating in PVP, but it wasn't the sole way to earn your prizes. This "give us all your money and we'll let you purchase RNG loot boxes" crap would never be tolerated, and if you people accept it, EME will never respect you except for how much money you have in your wallet.
  • rexoerexoe ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    when anniversary events were creative and not just a cash grab cause the game is doing poorly in sales
  • Vix wrote: »
    Magichan wrote: »
    *OR* maybe casuals arent supposed to afford the top prizes every single week? Maybe the hardcores can aim to get everything while the casuals can save up for something nice?

I have to ask, how many games have you played during their anniversary? Every single one I played (except for TERA) gave the players something good that wasn't contingent upon grinding HUNDREDS of hrs. Anniversaries are universally celebrated because players look forward to it. ALL players. Rewards were available to both long term players and players who just started playing. It was a celebration of the game, and further, a celebration of the PLAYERS that played to make it successful. It wasn't just for max level characters. Rewards went to both winners and losers. Rewards went to PVPers and PVEers, and those who did other activities in-game.

One of the anniversary "activities" is GIFT GIVING. Buying cash shop gifts for your friends to show your appreciation for their continued support. Sadly, EME is so greedy that they only care about receiving gifts, and not about GIVING them. In years past we had letter gathering, blue boxes, and other things that EVERYONE could participate in. It never required that you be level capped and max geared. Bonuses went to people for running dungeons and participating in PVP, but it wasn't the sole way to earn your prizes. This "give us all your money and we'll let you purchase RNG loot boxes" crap would never be tolerated, and if you people accept it, EME will never respect you except for how much money you have in your wallet.

As I said earlier, only Blade & Soul has been anywhere near this level when it comes to making Anniversary celebrations heavily focused on high level, geared players who can clear the hardest content, and they too required grinding out daily dungeons 5+ times per day for weeks to get the top prizes. I'm still not clear on how this works, but assuming it's the way I'm reading, 23 tokens max per day from dungeons alone--if each clear gives tokens and it's not just 3 per dungeon tier--will take 20 days to reach 450 tokens. 20 days, clearing 8 dungeons per day. That is a job, it's not an event.

You're right, people are literally thanking EME in every post where they update this event, even when the updates do little to make it more enjoyable. There's no reason for the company to change when they're thanked for running players ragged and driving wedges in the community.
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    On weekends do something special for everyone I mean it Spacecats, w/o open world event this event won't please the community and they have a right, I like BG, DG jackpot and also Token store, it is a good system but there is something missing and that is what I mentioned.

Community refers to collecting TERA words to get Jadeheart mount a good event, but actually it sucked on rewarding, it was just Jade, nothing else, just kill bams forever, TER could be found over and over but after awhile A was't dropping, seems it had some kind of limit, so yeah, That event wasn't that great but community loved it, why? I got a jade, you got a jade, everyone got a jade, so yeah, that event was planned for everyone on the open world, everyone after lvl 20 could get a Jade, or get one from friends or buy cheap, so community refers to it as a successful event despite the simple design.

@Spacecats your Token system and store is actually well planned, it has more choices but players are not pleased, because of that simple thing, no Open world activities. Make a math on distribution with a good balance and run OW event on weekends and this alone turn this to one of the best events actually. Think about it, please. Also give something to newcomers to look forward making Tera as a new hobby, you come with good ideas, do this too.

From someone that cares about community and publisher. Cheers.
  • edited May 2017
    Vix wrote: »

As I said earlier, only Blade & Soul has been anywhere near this level when it comes to making Anniversary celebrations heavily focused on high level, geared players who can clear the hardest content, and they too required grinding out daily dungeons 5+ times per day for weeks to get the top prizes. I'm still not clear on how this works, but assuming it's the way I'm reading, 23 tokens max per day from dungeons alone--if each clear gives tokens and it's not just 3 per dungeon tier--will take 20 days to reach 450 tokens. 20 days, clearing 8 dungeons per day. That is a job, it's not an event.

You're right, people are literally thanking EME in every post where they update this event, even when the updates do little to make it more enjoyable. There's no reason for the company to change when they're thanked for running players ragged and driving wedges in the community.

Well, the whole reason for this problem is because of the huge gulf between casual and hardcore players in this game, events or not.

Under the new arrangements (once the bankability is fixed) there will be people who, without changing their normal playstyle at all, will have no problem earning at least one tradeable cash shop costume/weapon skin a week via these tokens, and they're doing so by playing dungeons/battlegrounds, which creates more parties/decreases queue times/etc. -- all sorts of things that are generally good for endgame.

If you switch this to blue boxes or BAM kills, the farmability goes up massively while taking people away from normal end-game parties/queues, and so you'd either have to a) give worse prizes, b) give a smaller selection of prizes, or c) increase the amount of grinding needed to earn something worthwhile. Because the instant you make something easy and accessible to casual players, it because far too exploitable by the hardcore players -- purely because there's no cap.

I've actually worked a few times on different models that wouldn't have this problem, but the systems they have directly in-game right now don't support it. But it basically revolves around having two parallel systems: a one-time "event reward" (only earnable once per account, all rewards untradeable), and then smaller farmable rewards on-going (which could be tradeable). So basically, everyone in the game could win something, but people who try hard could earn marginally more (but not many multipliers more). Basically the problem is that BAM drops and Blue Boxes don't have this sort of cap mechanism.

So anyway tl;dr: it's a job if it wasn't something you were already doing anyway, but with the changes they've proposed now, it's basically an additional cash shop costume/weapon skin each week for doing what many hardcore players are already doing. The problem is basically those who don't normally play the game that much and for whom this amount of play to win prizes seems daunting. And trying to find a way of rewarding those kinds of players without giving 10x rewards to the players who already were playing that much is the entire problem.

P.S. I do still think having tokens drop at level thresholds would be a good idea, and some sort of open-world mechanic (though probably time-limited) would be good as well. But long-term multi-week events always have to consider the above problem. This is also the reason why BnS events have similar mechanics -- they usually last for many weeks at a time.

LesbianVi wrote: »
    Make a math on distribution with a good balance and run OW event on weekends and this alone turn this to one of the best events actually.
    Yes, if you could do limited open world events but only for a few days (to prevent it from being too exponential), that's a possible way to balance it. Could also do it so that it only runs in certain time ranges so you can monitor farmability and re-balance each day.
  • They are untradeable, thats fine. But were they also intended to be character locked and not account based?
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlackAdder wrote: »
    They are untradeable, thats fine. But were they also intended to be character locked and not account based?

They said they'll change the "unbankable" soon™.
  • MagichanMagichan ✭✭✭

1. I'm not sure why so many people are asking for leveling rewards, when it takes maybe 2-3 days to reach cap. There's no reason to not have at least one level 65 character to participate in the events.
    2. You no longer need max level gear to participate through dungeons. KC and Abscess now award Tokens (hence the reason for this thread in the first place), and you can do those in Idoneal. There's no gear requirement to participate in Battlegrounds, just appropriate Crystals and Glyphs if you want to pull your weight. Anyone at 65 can earn tokens.
    3. Quiz events will be available for those who insist on ignoring both PvE and PvP content, though actually playing the game won't kill you. Just your character.
    4. The Gift Box portion of the event are both entirely separate and optional. The rewards aren't that great anyway. Ignore it.

What, do you want tokens fed to you for afking in Velika? Play the game and you'll earn tokens. That's what this thread is (was?) about.
  • BlackAdder wrote: »
    They are untradeable, thats fine. But were they also intended to be character locked and not account based?

They said they'll change the "unbankable" soon™.

Tuesday, May 16 to be precise :)
  • SedennaSedenna ✭✭
    I agree that it is better not to trade them but i don't agree not put them in bank so we have to play with only 1 character that sucks really :(
  • MagichanMagichan ✭✭✭

My last response to this got sent to approvals because of an edit. Rip.

1) Why are leveling rewards in such high demand? Leveling takes 2-3 days to reach cap. I'm sure all "the PLAYERS that played to make it successful" have at least one 65.
    2) Any level 65 can earn Tokens. Battlegrounds reward plenty. Beginner dungeons like KC and Abscess reward tokens now. You can do those in Idoneal. Who said you had to be "max geared" to participate?
    3) Quiz Arena will be a thing for those people who insist on avoiding both PvE and PvP. I'm not sure why you would avoid playing the actual game other than for the sake of arguing, but the option will be there.
    4) The gift boxes are their own little thing. Separate and optional. I don't see what the fuss is about.
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are leveling rewards in such high demand? Leveling takes 2-3 days to reach cap. I'm sure all "the PLAYERS that played to make it successful" have at least one 65.

Because some players prefer to level alts rather than grind the level 65 stuff. Also, for the new players. It doesn't matter how fast it takes to get to the cap, some people don't play there.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    -snip-

Did you forget about the last Kyra event and the Santa hunt? Also, the systems they have in game absolutely do support those models you mentioned.
  • Magichan wrote: »
    Leveling takes 2-3 days to reach cap. I'm sure all "the PLAYERS that played to make it successful" have at least one 65.

Experienced players are able to cap in that time period, but newbies take much longer unless they're led and fed by veterans. Newbies don't know where things are. Newbies don't know how to gear. Newbies don't have the gold to buy +9 leveling armor. Newbies explore. They're the future of this game, and exactly the people that EME needs to attract, not alienate. Are all lowbies alts? I don't think so, but if they are, TERA is in a much more dire situation that you realize, and should be attracting and retaining players with virtual freebies rather than spend real money to advertise for new/replacement players. If you have subscribers, you work to keep them, because their F2P replacement isn't going to contribute as much to your operating costs.

Can all 65's earn tokens? YES, but not all have equal opportunity. A person who was in T9 until this week is only eligible to enter two dungeons that award tokens, and tokens from those dungeons aren't even guaranteed. A newbie in Idoneal can try to join a PVP BG, but they're probably going to suffer greatly after being repeatedly slaughtered by the seasoned players. Further, getting tokens shouldn't be contingent upon running dungeons or PVPing. Some people pay to hang out, play dress up, chat with friends, craft, gather, etc. They're still subscribing. EME is taking their money. Why shouldn't they get stuff too? I used to PVP and run dungeons, but some of us face severe challenges trying to complete them. Some of us struggle to make it through dungeons without dying a dozen times, and I don't think that it was fair the way that EME threw us under the bus on this "event." Being disabled shouldn't mean that I get no rewards for my years of patronage and (now former) subscription and cash shop dollars. Several of us have already stopped playing TERA and have moved on, and 95% of that decision was driven by this whole anniversary fiasco. (and their failures to fix other ticketed issues) TERA has been a part of my life for FIVE YEARS, and for EME to tell us that our continued patronage wasn't appreciated was heartbreaking. I want this game to succeed, but I won't give EME another dollar because of their handling of things like this. Our small group may only represent $200 /mo in revenue, but it's $200 /mo that's probably gone forever.
This discussion has been closed.