Why is the character creation so limited?

A friend recommended the game to me and I've spent 3 hours in character creation today...Made 5 characters, not happy with any of them, spent maybe 10 minutes actually playing the game. Why are there no options to decouple horns/tails/ears from hairstyles? Face shapes from eye colors and accessories? Chest, legs, waist, muscle definition, height sliders? Color wheels for hairs and eyes? The closest I've gotten is with a high elf, somewhat happy with her face, but the [filtered] and the giraffe neck bother me and it bothers me even more I can't change it. I guess I'll try again with elin, couldn't get satisfied with the eyes but I was okay with everything else...Haven't seen such limited character creation in ages.

Comments

• TheCatalystTheCatalyst ✭✭✭
    Because of costumes.
    If the adjustments are too extreme, chances are your costumes gonna get clipped..
    And u'll be running around with a naked elin.
    :scream:
  • You can change your height with items in game.
  • EllieChuEllieChu ✭✭✭
    Because of costumes.
    If the adjustments are too extreme, chances are your costumes gonna get clipped..
    And u'll be running around with a naked elin.
    :scream:

every costume clips anyway, lol

Notice how they stopped bothering putting holes in costumes for elin's tails to stick through?
  • > @TheCatalyst said:
    > Because of costumes.
    > If the adjustments are too extreme, chances are your costumes gonna get clipped..
    > And u'll be running around with a naked elin.
    > :scream:

Terrible excuse. Revelation Online, ArcheAge, and other Asian MMOs have loli characters and much, much better character customization. Some costumes may clip a bit, but at least there's decent customization...
  • czczczczczcz ✭✭✭
    >3 hours
    Amateur.

Jokes aside, it's disappointing that we cannot choose hairstyle and features independently.

Elin eyes can be decently customized. I like to drag the sliders back and forth from a good camera distance until it lands somewhere that looks decent, then fine-tune from there. It's important not to get caught up on the closeup. If a face looks weird by default, play with the bone structure sliders first, and check from all the important angles.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with OP on that. Many times I wanted a specific hair style but with different ears/tails combination.
    SPECIALLY Castanic horns are of importance. Heck Castanics themselves are not much cuter than the few cute ones people posted on the Castanic faces thread here. In fact.... most people copied me and that other guy's cuties.
    There's this one hairstyle I just love (the long one with blunt bangs) on Castanic, but the horns annoy me. I've lived ignoring them and that's it.

Long story short it's limited cause it's kinda halfassed programming, specially Elins being a filler race (!!!) on start even tho they became the most popular race later on (unless you count castanic males + females together). If you check it, Elins have way shorter nose customization than Humans for example.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    My dream is a hair color slider, that'd be boss
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was nice when game came out, it is just outdated now and takes a lot of work to update the whole thing. Who knows maybe we see updates for that too.
  • Because the game is from 2012 and the focus was on the combat, not the character customization. Newer games have more customization.
  • Because the game is from 2012 and the focus was on the combat, not the character customization. Newer games have more customization.

Aion, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, RIFT were all around at that time and had better creation. LOTRO had separate choices for eye color, shape, and face shape. SWTOR at the time had multiple body shapes available per race even if it wasn't the most indepth creation.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way cosmetics are done limits any possible changes to body sizes. Even with the limited option of changing thighs that already can cause issues for certain race and cosmetic options. Changing height can also cause some undesirable things that aren't present in some of these other games due to their way of doing cosmetics allowing far more freedom.
  • sevdasevda ✭✭
    Anzan wrote: »
    Because the game is from 2012 and the focus was on the combat, not the character customization. Newer games have more customization.

Aion, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, RIFT were all around at that time and had better creation. LOTRO had separate choices for eye color, shape, and face shape. SWTOR at the time had multiple body shapes available per race even if it wasn't the most indepth creation.

Errr....I play RIFT and have played LOTRO. Sorry to tell you, but there's very limited customization in those.
  • ArdireArdire ✭✭✭✭✭
    "In fact.... most people copied me and that other guy's cuties."

lol get over yourself. people have been using that same castanic face since like... idk... nightforge vm2 patch, is when i remember it got big. thanks to a few choice ktera videos featuring a castanic character with that face.

anyway. this game is old, so there's that on why stuff is so limited. but even despite its age it's noticeably limited, super basic stuff like hair and eye colour sliders are missing. personally i'm glad though there's no body height sliders and such, that made Aion so obnoxious seeing 1ft tall characters running around. BHS is lazy though, so whaddaya gonna do

2012? game is way older friend
  • Anzan wrote: »
    > @TheCatalyst said:
    > Because of costumes.
    > If the adjustments are too extreme, chances are your costumes gonna get clipped..
    > And u'll be running around with a naked elin.
    > :scream:

Terrible excuse. Revelation Online, ArcheAge, and other Asian MMOs have loli characters and much, much better character customization. Some costumes may clip a bit, but at least there's decent customization...

Anzan - sounds like you shouldn't play TERA if you can't deal with "limited" customization. [filtered] on the forums isn't going to change this.
This discussion has been closed.