[TERA PC & CONSOLE] One week left in Summerfest, Part 1: Festival of the Sun! Part 2: The Beach Bash kicks off August 11. Participate in Summerfest activities to earn tokens redeemable for costumes, consumables, mounts, and more! Details: https://bit.ly/tera_sf20

How does Veldeg's "Beware!" work exactly?

edited May 2017 in PvE Discussion
After a few runs of VHHM, I've noticed a huge difference in damage taken at the end of the Beware mechanic. Sometimes, I get hit for 20-50k, then there are times when I get 1 shot (aka dead even with 120k hp). Keep in mind that these experiences were taken from when the healers had done their job removing the buffs on the boss, so I'm not taking increased damage due to buffs not being removed during Beware.
I can't remember about previous runs, but on my latest run, I noticed that I took fatal damage when some players were dead during the mechanic. Therefore, I'm hypothesising that the damage you take at the end of Beware is shared between party members.
Hope someone can explain how the mechanic works in detail. Would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Extra note: I'm in full guile +12 if it matters, with armor rolls being: unconditional damage reduction, damage reduction when hit from front, damage reduction from enraged monsters.

Comments

• feazesherofeazeshero ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    At first I thought the team has to break a shield or something but then I realized the boss gets some kind of buff. I might be wrong but I think it depends on the healers regressing the boss during this stage. I think he receives more than 1 buff during the phase. I would think that if it was a double heals, one healer would regress the 1st buff and the next healer would regress the 2nd buff. If it's a solo healer run, then the regress occurs only once and the party takes more damage. And ofc if both healers or one of the healer misses the regress, then gg. That must explain in one of my 1st runs where we all died, I guess because the boss wasn't regressed. The damage might also depend if boss is enraged vs. unenraged and also gear. Still need to do more testing to see if it does depend on enrage/unenrage status.
  • MForAllMForAll ✭✭
    If you're solo healing VHHM, during dispelling phase you must plague at least one of the buff - preferably the first buff. Since your entire party will receive huge inc damage, be ready to heal them up asap.
  • PoofcatPoofcat ✭✭
    The boss will get two yellow debuffs on his bar at some point during the Beware animation, and they show up one at a time.
    If neither healer plague/regresses either one during the phase, you will take a LOT of damage, more so than anyone can survive.
    If the healers plague/regress just one, the damage is reduced by a bit and if you are full health you might live depending on your HP.
    If the healers sort out who is going to take each debuff beforehand, take turns to plague/regress both, the damage is reduced to a reasonable number BUT DPS/Tank need to be careful to stay out of the AOE that spawns during that mechanic or it will still be enough for them to die.
  • LYC14LYC14 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    First Buff Second Buff Damage received
    Dispelled Twice Yes Yes 50k+ damage
    Dispelled Once Yes No 100k+ Damage
    Dispelled Once No Yes 180k+ Damage
    Dispelled None No No 280k+ Damage

Taken from Essentialmana's guide on Velik's Hold.
  • HaloistHaloist ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Weird tho. I'm saying that even with both dispels I'm getting 1 shot, which is the point you guys seem to miss and being too quick to reply.
  • czczczczczcz ✭✭✭
    Keep an eye out on the boss' status bar, and make sure both are being properly dispelled. Don't just count on seeing the healer's animations. Or even better, make a video of it.
  • I love how everyone is missing the point of his question. To offer my perspective, yes I've also noticed huge discrepancies in damage taken on his Beware! mechanic. I believe part of it may due to how quickly you dispel, and how many party members are up. I've noticed I take less damage when healers are on point with their debuffing, and I take less damage when we're all huddled together and properly healed up. Sometimes despite debuffing both, I receive 370k damage (which oneshots) so it is interesting to see how it works.
    Just my two cents on this topic. It looks like no one else has bothered testing it to see how the damage is affected, though.
  • I haven't had the chance to learn HM yet, but perhaps the discrepancy is whether or not a Priest uses Kaia? Not sure if KS affects this damage or not.
  • Based12Based12 ✭✭✭
    Haloist wrote: »
    Weird tho. I'm saying that even with both dispels I'm getting 1 shot, which is the point you guys seem to miss and being too quick to reply.

Mby he's enraged, when he's enraged he does more dmg i think. Also depends weather priest uses kaia or not, and also you can i-frame it and recieve no dmg. I always DFA just in case.
  • HaloistHaloist ✭✭✭
    The thing is, it doesn't make sense for a dungeon to one shot anyone who has done the mechanics right. Enrage or not, Kaia or not, it shouldn't be allowed to one shot anyone who meets the minimum ilvl requirement, with properly rolled gear & proper crystals, since it's supposedly unavoidable. What if you had decided to run with 2 mystics? What are you going to do since you don't have Kaia then?
    From a game design perspective, punishing players for doing things right just makes no sense, that's why I'd opened this thread to ask if there is actually something about the mechanic that's killing my character which I don't know of.

Also, are you sure it's iframe-able? Cuz from what I've seen all these days doing VHHM, no one has ever avoided taking dmg once that mechanic ends.
  • ObsObs ✭✭✭
    The thing is, it doesn't make sense for a dungeon to one shot anyone who has done the mechanics right. Enrage or not, Kaia or not, it shouldn't be allowed to one shot anyone who meets the minimum ilvl requirement, with properly rolled gear & proper crystals, since it's supposedly unavoidable. What if you had decided to run with 2 mystics? What are you going to do since you don't have Kaia then?
    From a game design perspective, punishing players for doing things right just makes no sense, that's why I'd opened this thread to ask if there is actually something about the mechanic that's killing my character which I don't know of.

Also, are you sure it's iframe-able? Cuz from what I've seen all these days doing VHHM, no one has ever avoided taking dmg once that mechanic ends.

I've always taken the proper amount of damage when the healers dispel properly (as in, not both at the same time). They need to space out the dispels (do it when they see the Zerk Leaping Strike icon). If they're doing that, then you should have no problems.
  • Based12Based12 ✭✭✭

If you organize a party with 2 mystics then please uninstall. Their auras don't stack, you're better off with an extra dps instead of a 2nd mystic. So yeah, the game assumes you're a smart person and will take both mystic and priest which can take turns to dispell. It's unavoidable because all you need is P/M to agree on who's doing it first, and that's all the mechanic right there. So if you're wiping or getting killed, is not your problem, is that healers are doing it wrong.

Idk if you knew, but if none of them dispells the 1st one, then it does 180k+ dmg, so yeah its all about the healers.

And what you say about ilvl and one-shots just makes no sense. What kind of game would it be if all you needed to survive is gear? :facepalm:
  • c0gc0g ✭✭
    C'mon fellers, who needs gear when we has the skill? Everybody run the dung with 1 HP, leggo!
  • HaloistHaloist ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Based12 wrote: »
    If you organize a party with 2 mystics then please uninstall. Their auras don't stack, you're better off with an extra dps instead of a 2nd mystic. So yeah, the game assumes you're a smart person and will take both mystic and priest which can take turns to dispell. It's unavoidable because all you need is P/M to agree on who's doing it first, and that's all the mechanic right there. So if you're wiping or getting killed, is not your problem, is that healers are doing it wrong.

It's quite funny that you don't get the point here. Veldeg's mechanic only requires 2 dispels to do properly, so no, I cannot agree to your statement that "If you organize a party with 2 mystics then please uninstall", unless you can also explain why IMS would allow matching you with 2 mystics for the dungeon, just like DFNM (not that I've used IMS for this dungeon, but based on logical extrapolation, it is the case). This also means that your statement about "the game assumes you're a smart person and will take both mystic and priest which can take turns to dispell" is false due to this fact. If you're still not getting it, what matters here is if the raid can clear the dungeon, not min-maxing DPS. It's very simple: if the game itself is programmed to match players for dungeons based on some algorithm (in this case it's just 1 tank, 2 healers, 4 dps, without any restrictions), then that dungeon has to be clearable regardless of whether the same class is present in the party. Otherwise, it's bad game design, and the game should be at fault, not the player.
    Based12 wrote: »
    And what you say about ilvl and one-shots just makes no sense. What kind of game would it be if all you needed to survive is gear? :facepalm:

???? Did you not read properly before replying? After seeing so many of such replies, I'm beginning to think that this community doesn't even bother reading thoroughly and just jumps straight to giving a response.
    I was saying that, assuming the mechanic was done properly, if the party did the mechanics right, then it shouldn't matter if we have op gear or not; we should all survive if we have the minimum ilvl required (with proper gear rolls and crystals of course).
  • HaloistHaloist ✭✭✭
    c0g wrote: »
    C'mon fellers, who needs gear when we has the skill? Everybody run the dung with 1 HP, leggo!

Have anything else that's constructive to add to the thread? Or are you just advertising to everyone that you're a troll and shouldn't be taken seriously?