[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Patience with newer/ unskilled players

1356

Comments

  • Like the others pointed out. IMS is a terrible place to learn. If you want to learn press Y on your keyboard and make a Learning run in there. It might take a while to get a group but believe it or not there are plenty of players who like to teach newbies the ropes.

    I have done it enough and even after wipe number 10 in whatever instance i was trying to learn they still had the patience to continue and point out what i did wrong.

    Just make sure to properly thank these players.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TWMagimay not everywhere and not always there is conspiracy. All of us that speaking here can't be sure 100% the things how you say neither this is opposite. But we don't loose anything offering a help

    What conspiracy?!
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Community doesn't suck in general, find friends and run stuff with them as said before. Also you gotta run the dungeon to learn it, guides are there to give you a review of what is there but you gotta face it yourself to learn it, anyway unfortunately currently community is not as cool and cooperative as once it was but still there are many that like to make friends or even teach players to run dungeons. Having more players around is good for everyone.
    Cheers.
  • 6N9TDWR5NR wrote: »
    At the end of the day the questions I ask myself is "do I want to be here"? "Is this the environment I wish to be in". "Can I have more fun playing some other game?" "Is this the game for me?"

    If the answer to any of these questions is "yes" then keep at it; it might take time. I originally started playing TERA in 2014, quit for a year because of this kind of thing, and came back about a year ago and forgot why I left. Honestly, if you're enjoying the gameplay style, once you learn stuff it can be a heck of a lot of fun!

    I don't know if you mentioned what server you're on (not enough coffee yet to scan back through the whole thread) but if you're on CH, send me a PM and I'd be happy to find you in-game and help.

  • ImarabbitdawgImarabbitdawg ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I'd be happy to help anyone that really wants to learn some dungeons, improve their rotations on any class, or just answering a few questions about anything tera-related.

    I usually try to be nice on IMS/Lfg with people learning but when you get 3 people with 0 crystals who just auto attack, afk, don't communicate etc it's just frustrating... I know it's not always the case, and those who really invest time and effort to learn tend to improve drastically, which also leads to having more fun!

    If you're on Mount Tyrannas and would like to learn the low/mid-tier dungeons and work your way up i'm down to help, anyone is welcome to join! Just hit me up with a pm here or on my twitch twitch.tv/imarabbitdawg

    Currently working on uploading full dungeon runs/separate bosses on every single class for this content, starting with VHNM!
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    I will try to sound as objective as I can, because that is how the game works. I don't feel sugarcoating things is a good way to keep newbies in the game because this isnt a tab target mmo where "You just need to gear up and you can facetank everything". There is a skill floor that still needs to be there otherwise dungeons will go southward really quickly. Regardless I will give pointers, because I hate it when I see newbies give up so fast, especially when most of us start out as newbies due to the niche genre.

    There is no room for mistakes for tank. That's why for many it is the hardest class to play. A single death on the tank will be chaotic for the dps. Same goes for healers because once they die they have few ways to get back in the fray. Dps can make more mistakes than the other two but you are judged by your competency in your class regardless of dungeon. The only reason why is because everyone wants the clear. It is a team effort, and most people by now have already gone through enough runs to rage at one where it is particularly bad.

    Everyone wants to have fun. Being forced to tank as a dps while still trying to maintain maximum damage isnt. Healing people who blatantly takes damage for no reason at all is probably not fun for everyone as well. As much as you want to say that you can't have fun for being shouted upon, you can't say you aren't at fault for ruining someone else's day if you caused the run to go awry.

    Also contrary to belief, gear cannot carry in endgame. A completely unskilled player who is extremely gear will endup at nearly the same spot as one without any gear at all, there is still some skill involved.

    This game is objectively not fun if you dont learn fast or if you don't have much experience with the game. The two star -> three star jump is huge, and three star -> four star is pretty wide too. However I will list down the general difficulty.

    [spoiler]1star (Levelling dungeons): Tbh this can sometimes be harder than the 2 star ones at level 65. These are the story dungeons, where you clear your story quests. It also gives a pretty much ridiculous amount of exp, so with buddy up and Kuma exp bonus, as well as 400% xp bonus from Joy of Partying, you should be levelling loads.

    2star (Entry dungeons): This is your warmup dungeon series. Regardless of how easy it is, you SHOULD be by now be getting familiar with your true role in the party, what skills you should be using, what is enrage, what are buffs and debuffs and what is a standard rotation/skill hierachy in your class. That is the bare minimum.

    3 star (Gearing Dungeons): I have mentioned this many times in my previous comments across this forum. This difficulty is meant to challenge the newer players. You should have a huge amount of difficulty if you don't have grasp of your class's skills. This is the difficulty level you shouldn't IMS at all unless you know your class very well and don't floormat on 3 star dungeons in the previous patch cycle/ or if you know the dungeon by heart. I am serious when I say this, because way too many times people don't know their place in the game, and think that gearing is easy when it should only be obtained by people/parties who are skilled enough to do the basic gearing dungeons.

    This is the phase I emphasize the most because most newer players die here. This is the dungeons needed to get the midtier gear of the patch cycle. The difference between experienced and non experienced players regardless of whether they have attempted the dungeon before is very obvious by the number and frequency of deaths by said player. Not knowing how your class works is literal [filtered] at this point, because you have to adapt to dungeon mechanics as well. There is no shortcut to clearing this difficulty.

    4 star (Highend dungeons) There is way less mercy than there is in 3 star. If you feel there is no mercy given in 3 star dungeon mechanics, then don't bother going up one notch because you are definitely not prepared.

    5 star (Endgame) This is your typical raids/floor dungeons, and the final hardmode dungeon for the patch cycle. Unless you are used to other HM dungeons and have practiced the normal version and remember the skills by heart, don't bother at all. [/spoiler]

    There is no problem with being new in the dungeon at all, I am not kidding. There is, however, a problem if you have no idea how your class works after leveling to 65. If you are a lancer/brawler have you ever had difficulty keeping up Debilitate/Jackhammer stacks? Priest's Energy stars/Triple Nemesis, Mystic's Volley of Curses and Contagion, Archer's Velik's Mark and Focus stacks, Warrior's Edge which is similar to Valkyrie's runemark system? Almost all of these are learnt from leveling, and from there players should have figured that with so many skills, the basic attack shouldn't have much use outside of some classes. But yet most people fall into the Autoattack trap. There are so many bad players that it got to the point where I recently decided to put characters into learning/newbie guilds just to teach newbies around.

    Tera is easier than it was 2 years ago, but it still isn't easy. There are just way too many things you have to learn when you start out, and you have to learn them regardless. That's why I have once and again told people to ignore Kuma's Royale and practice in lower level dungeons when they are leveling, learning not to die whatsoever. Personally have trained a friend to tank pretty recently, will admit I was pretty harsh on that guy, but in the end when he first did VHNM for Misery Weapon he actually didn't feel like he is a burden. Once you get past the skill floor, it won't get long before you enjoy the game at its true potential, and you will actually have fun.

    If you want, you can private message me using the forum message function. I can teach every class barring berserker and slayer, as well as basic dungeon fundamentals. Will promise I won't sugarcoat anything, but you know what you want to ask I, alongside many others in this forum, can teach you.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    @TWMagimay not everywhere and not always there is conspiracy. All of us that speaking here can't be sure 100% the things how you say neither this is opposite. But we don't loose anything offering a help

    What conspiracy?!

    To be fair, I did read all the wall of text OP has written, and I can be sure he never blamed experienced players for being toxic, much less has he generalized experienced players as the toxic community.

    OP simply ranted/vented and asked how to deal about the toxic ones. Experienced or not.


    That's what we did then: tell him how to deal with the toxicity. Some people are just sensitive to this thing, or some people deal with it way too often to put up with it, so we just told him ways to get experienced himself without doing it the toxic way through LFGs.

    Tho I do need to tell OP one thing as well: you'll need some though skin on online gaming or heck online life. Jeez real life even. Don't forget that games are made by people, even offline ones were made by someone who may be a toxic troll and whatnot. Online ones are a community made of people who live in real world so you'll deal with an average of just as much toxic trolls as real life toxic rude people. That really is a necessity to get used to trash people and getting over them.

    Well, options are there, you can try the LFG learning runs, or newbie guilds for those stuff. I've been in newbie guilds even tho I can now run almost every dungeon this patch (except VS, I suck at that and need practice at VHHM), it's just fun sometimes to take on the newcomers and wipe around or downright carry them to a point. You may find yourself in those guilds starting at one edge and ending at the other. I don't see a single problem in finding a group you like and sticking with them.
  • FlorettaSoupFlorettaSoup ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    6N9TDWR5NR wrote: »
    Now I'm at the point where I am asking myself why do I want to be subjected to this humiliation? Am I not ingame to have fun? When I leave an instance feeling deflated I don't want to go back. It's easy to say "suck it up" -- but the point is I'm there to have fun. Having played many other games it's my conclusion that this game has some of the most critical players I've ever seen. In one way I can understand why-- the game is very technical. At the end of the day the questions I ask myself is "do I want to be here"? "Is this the environment I wish to be in". "Can I have more fun playing some other game?" "Is this the game for me?"

    As it has already been said, pug parties can be toxic, and some people will offend you no matter how good you are, I think that everyone in any online game has experienced it. Finding a good guild that's willing to teach you about the game's mechanics is essential, and playing this game without a guild/friends is impossible. I'm sure that, if you want to continue playing, you'll find a friendly guild, just ask in global chat!
    If you play on MT I'll be more than happy to invite you to my guild and teach you stuff! (if you're interested pm me here on the forums) ;)

  • Based12Based12 ✭✭✭
    Make a learning run or join one, forget Instance Matching exists. Just join runs by pressing Y.

    At the beginning is not easy, but dungeons like Bathysmal Rise, kalvian's dreadnought, even VHNM, you should join a PUG and eventually you will get accepted. Nowadays everyone is spamming VHNM for the jackpot, im sure any skilled party will take a non-skilled player, because it really doesn't make a difference, so just apply to every party you can and you'll get accepted to one. But stop with the IM already.

    There is a lot of content to learn, but its a great game.
  • Toxic people on the Internet you say? It's an mmo, join a guild or make friends and learn together. That's really all to it.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    As others have said, using the IMS to learn how a dungeon works is probably the worst method of trying to learn said dungeon. Really, use the IMS if you're on short time or you're felling ballsy. That said, remember this axiom and it will help you when doing so: "Hope for the best, expect the worst."

    I can't really say much that hasn't already been said, but I'm going to try anyway. Ahem...

    2 things:
    1) You may need to take matters into your own hands - Every now and again I do something called "Scrub Runs" and it's exactly what it sounds like; me and some others will find some people trying to learn/get gear from a dungeon and we all just scrub it up. It's been going pretty well so far, and despite the potential disaster of the run itself (for obvious reasons), everyone benefits: we get in some dungeons runs, others get knowledge that they then use in future runs/pass to others, and we have more people in the game as a whole. Heck, I think I even made a few friends in the process.

    My point being that try making your own parties and be sure to tell them what the intent is. There are a lot of "OG" players willing to help, but most prefer that the person needing help comes to them rather than the other way around ("teach a man to fish" and all).

    2) Don't be afraid to ask questions - admittedly, this one drives me up the wall with how infrequent it happens. Just earlier I was in a BR run and I asked - as lead no less - "before we start, anyone DON'T know how this works?" The response I got from a single person was "yes. go." and she zoomed off into the fight. Anyone with some modicum of reading comprehension will be able to see what's wrong with that response. Also, if someone indeed was unfamiliar with the dungeon/fight, they can't get any important info since the fight is now going and trying to ask [filtered] during said fight isn't really in the cards.

    That little tirade aside, simply saying "1st time here" can ease some of the apprehension inherent of the IMS. For myself, as an example, if there's no time to explain things (which is a bit of a coin flip these days), at least I now know "errors are probably going to get made" and I can just sit back and laugh when they do get made instead of someone dying 20 times in a fight and me wondering if they're doing it on purpose.

    All that said, you're going to come across some dicks. Big ones, angry ones, ones that make it very obvious that they need a hug. Okay, this analogue is getting weird... anyway, it's not going to be an easy path- some people will try to kick you for that reason alone, but don't let that deter from you trying to learn and eventually enjoy the game. Because that's what this is all about, right?

    I hope all that made sense. Good luck, and may the Force be with you!

    Statement: Post edited for clarification.
  • SageWindu wrote: »
    All that said, you're going to come across some dicks. Big ones, angry ones, ones that make it very obvious that they need a hug.

    You think about dicks a lot don't you?

    (but actually your post was well written, nice)
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    SageWindu wrote: »
    All that said, you're going to come across some dicks. Big ones, angry ones, ones that make it very obvious that they need a hug.

    You think about dicks a lot don't you?

    [shifty eyes]

    No comment.

  • SageWindu wrote: »
    All that said, you're going to come across some dicks. Big ones, angry ones, ones that make it very obvious that they need a hug. Okay, this analogue getting weird... anyway, it's not going to be an easy path, but don't let that deter from you trying to learn and eventually enjoy the game. Because that's what this is all about, right? Having fun.

    I think this sums it all up!
  • Just taking a moment to comment that I agree that it is good to have patience with new players. I also wanted to say that I was treated really well when I once tried out a priest class in a group for the 1st time at that lvl 32 instance matching. I was very hesitant about it since I have never played a full on healer before in a dungeon group but we finished the thing alright and even though a couple of people died they did not openly bad mouth me or kick me from the group. I was impressed with how considerate those players were.
Sign In or Register to comment.