Mystic, Priest DPS

Hi all

i know this is probably asked alot but lets go...

I am new, justs downloaded teh game and i wanna choose a class. I have always played a dps class such as a mage or rogue in all mmos.
I have thought this time for one i would like to be a healer.. there is mystic and priest i see.

From what i read mystic is more about buffs and mana regen and su pport where priest is a full on healer

Priest is looking good to me but i'm wondering about lvling and dps
i played a white mage in ff14 for a while but found i was spamming one skill for dps and that was boring
What is a priest dps like here? is it one or 2 skills and then everything heals?

whats better end game for heals? i basically wanna heal dungeons and raids (if they have them) but wanna have fun lvling

Im looking pve only here

Thanks

Comments

• TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    75X5L45KE7 wrote: »
    I can say that I am a good fox priest and fox mystic

Having read the rest of your post, I'm inclined to disagree.

@OP: Were you reading information from CBT times? Both priest and mystic are full time healers in a party, both have various support skills to improve the party's performance. When soloing, both classes rely on a limited number of skills, 4-5 in total(excluding buffs) and the damage rotations are rather generic. How solo levelling goes depends on what you choose to do. Mystic has an advantage if you decided to grind mobs but for more standard ways of levelling, they are at about the same place. As for endgame, the current meta is double healer. Mystics do seem to be in more demand at the moment(and that trend will likely continue), solohealing can be done just fine with either class and most parties won't turn their noses up at either healer. Lastly, you can try both of them and just see which one you like better or even play both as gearing healers is cheap compared to dps and tanks.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Priest I could say that your Focus Heal will be the least used heal, really. Circle Heal can half or top an HP bar depending on gear level on both sides. Healing Immersion is EPIC hands down, you trow a gigantic Circle Heal far away, and if you're inside it's radius you also get it's heal. The HOT ones (Heal Over Time in case unfamiliar) should be like always on heals, you trow one at tank's feet and one around you and party. Focus only when rest is on CD and when DPS is too far to rush to and use circle.

Yes, DPS is MINIMAL, but you'll contribute a lot to the DPS by buffing party, debuffing boss and using instantaneous buffs like Energy Stars.
    WHEN your party is not eating damage (and by that I mean your party's HPs are all like 80% + class, I'm NOT a fan of slaying), you can do some DPS skills.
    Also there's one DPS skill you'll be using constantly on end game as a Priest: Triple Nemesis. You glyph it up to generate a temporary endurance debuff on boss/monster and it improves dramatically the party's DPS.

Mystic has some strong primary heals like the boomerang thingy (what was it called.... jeez forgot entirely), heals everyone in it's route, once when it hits going, once when it hits coming. Focus will also be a minimally used heal later on if you don't have a damage eating party.
    Specially true if your party uses the motes you drop.

On both classes I would say Focus Heal is the auto-attack of the healing skills. Use only when nothing better available.
    And DPS is minimal as they're not done for this, but the open world damage is buffed so you can solo a bit, SPECIALLY leveling solo. But don't worry much about leveling solo, unless you really want to level solo, as a healer will enter dungeons fast.

Keep in mind when making a healer: your task is to heal. Really important to mention. Seen too many heals that really, leveled DPSing and hence weren't ready on end-game.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    75X5L45KE7 wrote: »
    I can say that I am a good fox priest and fox mystic

Having read the rest of your post, I'm inclined to disagree.

@OP: Were you reading information from CBT times? Both priest and mystic are full time healers in a party, both have various support skills to improve the party's performance. When soloing, both classes rely on a limited number of skills, 4-5 in total(excluding buffs) and the damage rotations are rather generic. How solo levelling goes depends on what you choose to do. Mystic has an advantage if you decided to grind mobs but for more standard ways of levelling, they are at about the same place. As for endgame, the current meta is double healer. Mystics do seem to be in more demand at the moment(and that trend will likely continue), solohealing can be done just fine with either class and most parties won't turn their noses up at either healer. Lastly, you can try both of them and just see which one you like better or even play both as gearing healers is cheap compared to dps and tanks.

Cheap you mean no need to go VM set?
    Tho I would love to get one just to, you know, "I HAVE THE POWAA!!"

Priest staff has healing increase at +13 - +15 right?
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    ElinLove wrote: »

Staff/Scepter are definitely worth it imo. It's not as large of a difference between VMs as it is for tanks and DPS though, so we still don't have to upgrade often. Chest is debateable, but I wouldn't +15 gloves or boots.
    As a Priest I could say that your Focus Heal will be the least used heal, really. Circle Heal can half or top an HP bar depending on gear level on both sides. Healing Immersion is EPIC hands down, you trow a gigantic Circle Heal far away, and if you're inside it's radius you also get it's heal. The HOT ones (Heal Over Time in case unfamiliar) should be like always on heals, you trow one at tank's feet and one around you and party. Focus only when rest is on CD and when DPS is too far to rush to and use circle.

Mystic has some strong primary heals like the boomerang thingy (what was it called.... jeez forgot entirely), heals everyone in it's route, once when it hits going, once when it hits coming. Focus will also be a minimally used heal later on if you don't have a damage eating party.

On both classes I would say Focus Heal is the auto-attack of the healing skills. Use only when nothing better available.

You clearly aren't experienced with priest if you think Healing Circle is our primary heal. That's arguably our worst heal, not counting RC - I use it if a DPS is right in front of me and needs healing fast, because it's quick, but you'd have to be insane to sit on the boss' butt just so you can HC a DPS. If you're not on the butt, Focus Heal is faster if Healing Immersion is on CD. And you should be prioritizing RB over HC anyway, since it gives mana and hp regen to either the tank or the DPS, depending on boss.

And Regenerative Circle hasn't been useful in ages. It used to still matter back in the original BR->TS days, somewhat, but damage we take is so high now that it's literally useless. I use it once in a blue moon if I'm with a party that doesn't take damage and everything useful is on CD; that's it. We've gone from high flat damage attacks being ~30-70k to them being 100k+ regularly.

And for mystics, their Titanic Favor (their version of FH) heals for about as much as our Healing Immersion, but is as spammable as FH. So...yeah, it's not a "filler" skill.
  • cheekibreekicheekibreeki ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Focus Heal is life. You can't heal four people who are running away from you with Healing Circle. I roll this on my armor top line.
    Restorative Burst is down off CD wherever needed.
    Regen Circle is done when I have nothing better to do.
    Healing Circle is nice if DPS are clustered and facetank the same mechanic (accidentally or intentionally, doesn't matter)
    Then, assuming Energy Stars / Triple Nem / Mana Charge are on CD, I'll hop in for a quick DPS rotation for luls.

Re: VM staff/scepter, yes it was worthwhile to upgrade. I got Imp staff last patch and I'll likely keep it through this one also.

@OP: try not to worry too much about lvling, it will be gone in the blink of an eye. Try multiple classes and see what you groove with best.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    If those are your two choices, and you want to dps, go mystic. They have thralls (Your minions that do your bidding for you). Call one or two out during dungeons to help fight while continuing to heal

There's a skill you get at almost max level that you can use to heal AND DPS at the same time, and you won't get aggro, which is one of the most important things for a healer. Aggro = dead
  • StevenAnthonyStevenAnthony ✭✭✭✭
    ................................ good, only elitis players ask to priest tank boss ..................... huehuehuehueu
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catorii wrote: »

Staff/Scepter are definitely worth it imo. It's not as large of a difference between VMs as it is for tanks and DPS though, so we still don't have to upgrade often. Chest is debateable, but I wouldn't +15 gloves or boots.

You clearly aren't experienced with priest if you think Healing Circle is our primary heal. That's arguably our worst heal, not counting RC - I use it if a DPS is right in front of me and needs healing fast, because it's quick, but you'd have to be insane to sit on the boss' [filtered] just so you can HC a DPS. If you're not on the [filtered], Focus Heal is faster if Healing Immersion is on CD. And you should be prioritizing RB over HC anyway, since it gives mana and hp regen to either the tank or the DPS, depending on boss.

And Regenerative Circle hasn't been useful in ages. It used to still matter back in the original BR->TS days, somewhat, but damage we take is so high now that it's literally useless. I use it once in a blue moon if I'm with a party that doesn't take damage and everything useful is on CD; that's it. We've gone from high flat damage attacks being ~30-70k to them being 100k+ regularly.

And for mystics, their Titanic Favor (their version of FH) heals for about as much as our Healing Immersion, but is as spammable as FH. So...yeah, it's not a "filler" skill.

This likely means I know how to avoid well, position well and not get hit all the time, and my DPS is usually pretty good then, cause I've been topping DPS's HPs for ages without worries with Circle Heal.
    Guess you've been into more trap runs than I've been then if you really need to heal folks running away madly so often. Like, I'm usually at a position when I heal 2 folks, even when they running away, with the circle. I mean it really goes like 60~75% of an HP bar in one hit for mid tier sets.
    Tank is the one that gets a focus from far, or when tank really eats damage he gets the [filtered] Immersion all for himself, so the trap won't die (usually happens when tank gets like... half his HP down in one hit, and then proceeds to get hit until like 10% HP.... intense).
    Just use the circle at a DPS that is mid casting a skill and he can't run away unless he really is stupid to the point of I-framing out of circle.
    And in that case, yes you'll have to focus heal that guy cause he's eating damage anyway, your circle will be in CD when he's back to 30% HP.
    Regenerative Circle is my filler heal, I trow it when off CD and TN up just to keep the HP regen always on. And yes obviously cancel it mid cast if an attack comes at me.
    I did end up using Focus Heal mostly on trap runs (and to be fair I like those), when there's always a potato miles away for who knows the reason. Or when you see that "This sucka will eat this attack" then I keep it already locked into that specific DPS.
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Just use the circle at a DPS that is mid casting a skill and he can't run away unless he really is stupid to the point of I-framing out of circle.
    And in that case, yes you'll have to focus heal that guy cause he's eating damage anyway, your circle will be in CD when he's back to 30% HP.

Lol, so your way of healing is to wait until someone's almost dead but in the middle of an animation so they can't dodge your awful heal? There's a reason HC rarely gets used. And if you're spamming that off CD, you're not using RB off CD...so, yeah, seriously bad priest.

You could, you know, just lock on with FH and not worry about them dodging out of it. No need to wait for them to be dying-yet-in-animation.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, so your way of healing is to wait until someone's almost dead but in the middle of an animation so they can't dodge your awful heal? There's a reason HC rarely gets used. And if you're spamming that off CD, you're not using RB off CD...so, yeah, seriously bad priest.

You could, you know, just lock on with FH and not worry about them dodging out of it. No need to wait for them to be dying-yet-in-animation.

Now you know how I feel when mystics start talking about motes :D

And, yes, cheap as in you don't need VM. You can haz if you wants but you don't need it. I have a behe mystic and a misery priest.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one bigass troll over there eh. That's just one way they don't avoid, besides they're always attacking so mid cast.
    Dude stop trolling I'm not stupid even tho you try to make it sound like that. Keep the ego down a bit, not everyone who thinks differently from you is stupid and has to get trashed down.

I can agree that there's various ways of doing the same task AND being efficient at it, done. I don't leave people dying to cast a heal, in fact they're almost always 80%+ HPs, I'm quite compulsive of that.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

And, yes, cheap as in you don't need VM. You can haz if you wants but you don't need it. I have a behe mystic and a misery priest.

Thanks for clarifying. For now I'm making misery set so dunno if I'll have the patience to farm for VM on healer too. Maybe the staff.

As a Mystic I trow motes nonstop, but I do know people don't always have the time to pick them up, that boomerang heal thingy gets spammed all the time.
    Besides you can self heal with motes so no point in NOT trowing them, but players that complain that they're dying and they don't pick them up with a sea of motes, well, those are another level. Specially if you have to focus on a damage eater tank.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    players that complain that they're dying and they don't pick them up with a sea of motes, well, those are another level
    of stupid

Glad I could finish your sentence, c'mon I know you were thinking it

xD
  • CatoriiCatorii ✭✭✭

And guess where the conversation headed after your post. Your favorite topic! :awesome:
  • cheekibreekicheekibreeki ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

That's one bigass troll over there eh. That's just one way they don't avoid, besides they're always attacking so mid cast.
    Dude stop trolling I'm not stupid even tho you try to make it sound like that. Keep the ego down a bit, not everyone who thinks differently from you is stupid and has to get trashed down.

I can agree that there's various ways of doing the same task AND being efficient at it, done. I don't leave people dying to cast a heal, in fact they're almost always 80%+ HPs, I'm quite compulsive of that.

While the point was made pretty confrontationally, they're basically correct. Granted you can play how you want, but if someone were to ask which heal should be a primary heal, it's gonna be Focus Heal. Quick, easy to cast, essentially nonexistent cooldown, can spread a significant distance. HC also requires you to get really close to your target, which, if you're healing DPS, drastically increases your chances of getting hit by an attack. Not to mention that HC messes with CD for RB.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong - it's a game, you can play as a DPS Priest if you really want to - but all things considered, Focus Heal really should be your primary.