Tips/Hints/experience regarding hunting big blue boxes

Comments

• MinazukiMinazuki ✭✭✭
    So sad when saw box inside building that you cant entry... two of them = =
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Wish they wouldn't spawn by "killing" NPCs

Just watched a NPC who was killing mobs around it and there were no tokens in it

This happened with mongos as well

:|
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @Tibix said:
    > LesbianVi wrote: »
    >
    > IronCloud wrote: »
    >
    > To be honest, I have been hunting since event start and have never seen a 100 token drop yet. Bad RNG I guess.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I got 3 total, a friend got 10 :angry:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I've gotten 4 and my bf has gotten 0. He's mad AF >.>;

Time to find a new BF or GF with better RNG.

JK JK ;)
  • SeikilosSeikilos ✭✭✭
    > @LesbianVi said:
    > > @Tibix said:
    > > LesbianVi wrote: »
    > >
    > > IronCloud wrote: »
    > >
    > > To be honest, I have been hunting since event start and have never seen a 100 token drop yet. Bad RNG I guess.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I got 3 total, a friend got 10 :angry:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I've gotten 4 and my bf has gotten 0. He's mad AF >.>;
    >
    > Time to find a new BF or GF with better RNG.
    >
    > JK JK ;)

Smooth!
  • SeikilosSeikilos ✭✭✭
    >@LesbianVi said:
    > I am on CH,

Well this explains a lot of things.

In MT things are hard and are getting worse. Since yesterday that vhnm stopped being a highlight people don't have easy ways of getting tokens. VSNM is too hard for some people and the runs are 1/3 of vhnm. So people started camping. Now even on NA dead hours there are people camping and I see people actively hunting the boxes.

Lots of people gonna get sad.

There are 2,5 days to fix this. They are more than enough so people can have a good outcome from the shop.
    @Seikilos even on CH, after VH, more hunters, I agree could use some improvements for last days, not much but enough not to leave players empty handed.
  • SeikilosSeikilos ✭✭✭
    > @LesbianVi said:
    > @Seikilos even on CH, after VH, more hunters, I agree could use some improvements for last days, not much but enough not to leave players empty handed.

I see that we all agree with each other.

What I don't see is a word from @Spacecats on the matter and my hope levels are going back to 2015 levels.

Is it even worth it to try and communicate on the forums?
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spacecats wrote: »
    @Spacecats are you sure towns are excluded? I mean, we have proof on page one that they can spawn in town.

Also, I agree that if there's only a finite number of them, it's bad design. No wonder people aren't finding them.

Highwatch is the exception, actually. It's the only city where blue boxes have a chance to spawn, but it's pretty freakin rare so it's funny to see that someone got a screenshot of it right away :p

A finite number would mean that once they're destroyed, no more would spawn. There's an infinite amount of blue boxes since the moment one's destroyed another is created.

Yeah, sorry, I meant limited, because they can never go above whatever number you set, and that number seems too low.
  • SeikilosSeikilos ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    > @KarmaTheAlligator said:
    > Spacecats wrote: »
    >
    > KarmaTheAlligator wrote: »
    >
    > @Spacecats are you sure towns are excluded? I mean, we have proof on page one that they can spawn in town.
    >
    > Also, I agree that if there's only a finite number of them, it's bad design. No wonder people aren't finding them.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Highwatch is the exception, actually. It's the only city where blue boxes have a chance to spawn, but it's pretty freakin rare so it's funny to see that someone got a screenshot of it right away :p
    >
    > A finite number would mean that once they're destroyed, no more would spawn. There's an infinite amount of blue boxes since the moment one's destroyed another is created.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, sorry, I meant limited, because they can never go above whatever number you set, and that number seems too low.

What you both ment is that there is a finite number of spawning spots and an infinite number of boxes.

This means that if there are for example 60 spawning spots and you kill a box they become 59, but then automatically another box spawns somewhere else so the number is 60 again but in a different place. If you kill 25 it becomes 35 but then automatically 25 new boxes spawn somewhere else so the number of boxes remains 60 again. Point is the number of boxes on the map is always the same no matter how many people are farming them. The problem is that this number is too low and that it is random so some times some areas are 'ok' and some areas are completely empty. Which means that the empty areas are waiting the ok areas to be cleared first before a box randomly spawns back there. And who knows which areas are full? NO ONE CAUSE IT'S RANDOM!

And I m gonna stop here cause the more I think about it the more I realize how ducked up this is.

P.S: @Spacecats this system could work if the population was a lot bigger cause in the whole randomness the boxes would change positions so fast that they would look as if they where always/more frequently spawned. But that is a whole other story.
    Off topic but vital: They need to fix the mobile text, cause that looks very bad. make forums ugly.
  • HippyKHippyK ✭✭
    Here's how I think it works:

There is no specifically pre-programmed blue box spawn locations, they just use the spawn locations that existing mobs spawn at.

Why do I think this? Well you can find blue boxes at stupid places like under the sea where you cant reach them (but where little crabs spawn). You can also find them in other silly places like the watermelon smashing area on serpentis Isle. Why would a developer deliberately place a possible spawn location under water?

So what makes a good place to find blue boxes? Well one with a dense population of mobs. However as far as I can tell a group of mobs that spawn together only counts as 1 spawn location so an area like that can look better than it really is. Also I'm fairly certain that rodent/scorpions etc.. (the tiny decorative mobs that give no xp) also count as spawn locations so on the other side of the coin this can make a place a better blue box location even if the number of big mobs around looks less.

Apart from that the only condition for a good spot is: other people don't farm there.

TLDR: Look for somewhere that meets the above criteria: dense single mob population (including rodents) but without many other farmers.
  • MajHavok1MajHavok1 ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Well, I started with 90 tokens. Ran a loop through the areas near Highwatch and in 6-7 hours (only transferring zones a couple times) found 2x100, 2x20, 5x10. We also got 40 from log-ins and some from the dev stream. Once I saw heal or mana motes lying around I knew someone was already in the area and flew somewhere else. In total I finished with 510. Was it fun...not really...but I do have my obnoxious elin ride, so all is good. :)
  • 10 to 15 box per hour. Hint? keep changing area instead of camping/changing channel. Max your pc view distance so that you can see further. I did a full run in 3 different areas and all of them only have 1 channel.
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 to 15 box per hour. Hint? keep changing area instead of camping/changing channel. Max your pc view distance so that you can see further. I did a full run in 3 different areas and all of them only have 1 channel.

Yup, that's what I do, too, and I never got less than that.
    I found 2 boxes of 100 tokens, was a good day so far :) saw more boxes somehow also.