Discussing the Server Issues

Since my original thread got merged and later closed: https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/15820/av-outage-june-13/p1

This thread is created to be the continuation of the previous thread, and will hopefully serve the following purposes:
  • to create a channel to facilitate discussion between EME staff and players
  • have players' questions gathered in one convenient place
  • have a place for the relevant EME staff to gather feedback and answer important questions

I would prefer for this thread to be constructive and productive. Also, I absolutely do not want this thread to be closed, hence I request posters to
  • be civil
  • refrain from call-outs, personal attacks and witch-hunting
  • discuss the issue at hand and refrain from going off topic wherever possible

Will begin by apologizing for my poor command of English, it is not my first language, so please do let me know if I could amend any of my text for clarity.

Right now, the servers have been suffering from many server-sided issues, with Ascension Valley especially having it far worse than what other servers have been experiencing to my knowledge. These include a server crash yesterday, among frequent server freezes in dungeons that have caused player deaths, and in some cases, caused multiple party wipes simultaneously, much to the inconvenience of the playerbase, especially those who have been pushing for VSHM clears.

While there are many causes of lag, the servers have been plagued with a plethora of server-sided issues that are experienced by the entire community simultaneously. I would hence like to ask the relevant staff members (Ops crew especially) the following questions:

1. Does EME staff know the extent of the issues plaguing the players, especially AV? If so, does EME know what are the root causes of the server issues?
2. What has EME done thus far, and what course(s) of action does EME intend to take to follow up and resolve the issues pinpointed?

If other players have questions, please ask in this thread, and I would appreciate if EME would clarify other players' doubts as well. Many thanks and here's to constructive and fruitful discussion.

** edited the post to open the discussion up to all servers, instead of limiting the discussion to just AV.

Comments

• edited June 14
    We've been getting reports from multiple servers. I don't think this thread needs to be AV specific. As far as we can tell all TERA servers are experiencing connection spikes.

Edit - Also, thanks saltedcaramel for creating this discussion.
  • You're welcome, shall I edit the title and content of the thread to reflect that this will be a discussion involving all servers then @Spacecats ?
  • You're welcome, shall I edit the title and content of the thread to reflect that this will be a discussion involving all servers then @Spacecats ?

Sure, let's open it up for everyone. I'm already working with Denommenator today to discuss server status. Hopefully we'll have some sort of update to give in this thread.
  • Will do. Looking forward to a fruitful discussion that'll help in producing tangible results (:
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said before, could be Zayo? Is Zayo still active? I mean with Saavy pings were a bit higher but we had less spikes, Zayo always bring more spikes in my experience.
  • Will do. Looking forward to a fruitful discussion that'll help in producing tangible results (:

What's there to discuss? These are technical issues with the servers that players cannot help with. EME is already aware of them. So other then people complaining and venting here, I do not see what discussion can be had about this.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sparky12 wrote: »
    Will do. Looking forward to a fruitful discussion that'll help in producing tangible results (:

What's there to discuss? These are technical issues with the servers that players cannot help with. EME is already aware of them. So other then people complaining and venting here, I do not see what discussion can be had about this.

Not everyone has the same issues or sympthomes so you will help a lot if you give feedback about your problems with Tera lately.

For me has been something quite peculiar, I have stable ping but last week I had lots of fps drops, I know that fps is something pc related and not network related but if some how with the previous patch something changed and make my pc have those issues and other people have similar issues then this could be a mix of problems and not only network related.
  • DWDE6GFGWHDWDE6GFGWH ✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    Will do. Looking forward to a fruitful discussion that'll help in producing tangible results (:

Not everyone has the same issues or sympthomes so you will help a lot if you give feedback about your problems with Tera lately.

For me has been something quite peculiar, I have stable ping but last week I had lots of fps drops, I know that fps is something pc related and not network related but if some how with the previous patch something changed and make my pc have those issues and other people have similar issues then this could be a mix of problems and not only network related.

1) It doesn't feel like you have any knowledge about this matter, so why post here in the first place (These FPS Drops are also game issues, not server issues so you're in the wrong topic)
    2) Terrible optimization has been in Tera for a long time, people even had to do BHS's job and find a way to make it playable.
    3) Do you actually play the game and keep track of your ping? Almost everyone I know has unstable ping with laggspikes.

Just like any other topic on the forum, people like this are responding which is why I stopped bothering.
    DWDE6GFGWH wrote: »
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

1) It doesn't feel like you have any knowledge about this matter, so why post here in the first place (These FPS Drops are also game issues, not server issues so you're in the wrong topic)
    2) Terrible optimization has been in Tera for a long time, people even had to do BHS's job and find a way to make it playable.
    3) Do you actually play the game and keep track of your ping? Almost everyone I know has unstable ping with laggspikes.

Just like any other topic on the forum, people like this are responding which is why I stopped bothering.

Many people confuse one side issues with server issues and some times patches screw with something that makes your game experience really bad, freezes can happen becuase of your pc also fps drops, those are most one side related, but unstable ping is not something that always is server related.

And I don't care what do you think but I have most of the times stable ping, Spikes really rare for me, disconections where something quite common in may but so far I look deep into it and that was something diferent from server issues or my pc issues, the problem I had was originated from another source until it was indentified and corrected.
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if this is off topic, but did today's maintenance actually do anything? Because I've experienced worse lag today than before, with more random spikes and freezes, and even just these forums (anything TERA related, really) have trouble loading (this isn't on my side as every other site I visit loads fine).
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15
    Sorry if this is off topic, but did today's maintenance actually do anything? Because I've experienced worse lag today than before, with more random spikes and freezes, and even just these forums (anything TERA related, really) have trouble loading (this isn't on my side as every other site I visit loads fine).

Well, yesterday there was a big issue in the East Coast that was impacting a lot of people; it's possible it may have come back again today for a while. That said, one small point is that these forums are actually hosted in a completely separate location by a different company, not related to any of the rest of the TERA servers (except when you login and it redirects you to the account servers). So if the forums (not login) and the game are both acting up at the same time, it will be two different issues (or maybe the same issue at a common higher source).
  • Sparky12 wrote: »

With all due respect I will have to disagree. Firstly, I am not sure that EME knows the exact root causes of said technical issues. Also, players have helped identify many different issues before, technical or not. For example, I understand that recently, the EU playerbase has attributed some client-sided lag spikes to noctenium usage under certain circumstances (not too sure on this since I personally never had issues with noct).

Server issues are certainly not for the players to fix, I agree that we would be overstepping our boundaries there. But player feedback has always been and will always be an integral part of problem identification - and you can't solve a problem if you don't know what the problem is.

With all due respect I will have to disagree. Firstly, I am not sure that EME knows the exact root causes of said technical issues. Also, players have helped identify many different issues before, technical or not. For example, I understand that recently, the EU playerbase has attributed some client-sided lag spikes to noctenium usage under certain circumstances (not too sure on this since I personally never had issues with noct).

Server issues are certainly not for the players to fix, I agree that we would be overstepping our boundaries there. But player feedback has always been and will always be an integral part of problem identification - and you can't solve a problem if you don't know what the problem is.

You can say also that players let EME know that perfect dreamstorm were the cause of lag for many players.
  • ElinUsagi wrote: »
    You can say also that players let EME know that perfect dreamstorm were the cause of lag for many players.

you get my point. could not think up a good example at the time of posting