There will be no maintenance for TERA on 11/21.

Character direction skills

12346»

Comments

• EdomdrahEdomdrah ✭✭
    edited June 16
    Maybe I'm not being as clear as I need to be here... IN THE CURRENT CONTROL SCHEME YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A DIRECTIONAL INPUT ACTIVE IN ORDER FOR A SKILL TO BE ORIENTED BASED ON THE CHARACTER'S DIRECTION VICE THE CAMERA'S DIRECTION. I've tested it on my Lancer, Reaper, Priest, Archer, Sorcerer, and Brawler with the same results.

Obviously this doesn't affect some classes as much as others when playing with a controller. My main complaint is that it eliminates a reapers option to either move forward with a skill, or stay in the same spot with said same skill (ex: smite, grim strike, sundering strike) UNLESS your camera is facing the direction you want to use said skill.

P.S. another time i noticed this was especially a hassle is with sorc when you lay down a trap... it's always slightly in front of you making your character's direction crucial to get a trap's h!t box to encompass another player, specifically when it's only a difference of a few meters. Moving unnecessarily with a sorc in pvp, or missing a trap is clearly a disadvantage. And that's what the new control scheme forces you to do.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭
    Then put a directional input and quit yelling at me about it, I can't fix it. You're just gonna either have to deal with it, quit, or talk to a mod to relay this to BHS. Yelling at me won't do this for you.

Also it's not hard to move the L-stick before you do a skill. Also, ranged classes are irrelevant 'cause most of them are camera faced still anyway, especially priest.

For me, it's helpful 'cause on my ninja if I stop moving and through my bomb, I go towards the camera and I can follow up with leaves on the wind and it be a direct hit. If I'm moving and through a bomb, it's not a direct hit 'cause I'm not fast enough to turn the camera/press the R-stick button to re-position it behind me.
  • EdomdrahEdomdrah ✭✭
    Tenshi1 wrote: »
    For me, it's helpful 'cause on my ninja if I stop moving and through my bomb, I go towards the camera and I can follow up with leaves on the wind and it be a direct hit. If I'm moving and through a bomb, it's not a direct hit 'cause I'm not fast enough to turn the camera/press the R-stick button to re-position it behind me.
    You're a hypocrite then, since that issue can also be fixed by changing your joystick direction before using the skill. Note that you don't need to see the opponent to land your skill by the way, I've killed easily over a thousand people with whipsaw that I couldn't see because they were off screen behind my camera.
    Also, that doesn't address my specific complaints against requiring you to use the movement version of a skill vice the "stay put" version of that skill. Nor does it address a Sorcerer's issue of their trap being in front of them.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭
    Well, I meant turning it NORMALLY's not hard, but turning it fast-paced is hard for me.

The ranged classes camera facing issues were also addressed in the patch notes. I don't like it, but I'm gonna have to get used to it.
  • EdomdrahEdomdrah ✭✭
    You don't have to get used to anything... You're identifying issues with the control scheme yourself and then just saying you'll deal with them... Why don't you speak up with me instead and try to get them to fix the issues >_>?

It isn't hard to rewind a control scheme to its previous version and then add the current "hybrid" version as a 3rd option.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭
    I'm not gonna try to get them to fix the issue 'cause everyone's spoken their minds about it already and yet BHS hasn't changed anything.

I'm honestly afraid they'll go back to the last patch control system where EVERYTHING was camera faced o-e DO NOT WANT
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind if they added the options back, I'm not saying I'm COMPLETELY happy with this(Especially not the glacial retreat/backstep for sorc), I'm just saying it's a learning curve for everyone.
  • EdomdrahEdomdrah ✭✭
    If you're willing to concede the change with that feeble of a resistance then of course they aren't going to commit any time to trying to fix anything. Why would they? There's no incentive for them to fix it if everyone is willing to just deal with it and keep on giving them their money!
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭
    Well, with their past, and so many people have tried to tell what they want, and BHS has mainly done what THEY want, it doesn't give people an incentive to do it anymore.

I personally have got shot down by some of this toxic community for expressing my ideas.

But in any case, I will put this. @Halrath would you at least talk with BHS about putting the system back to when we had the "camera direction" and "Character direction" options in the controller options?

I doubt BHS would do anything though, and EME's already talked with them once or twice and they agreed to do at least this, I'm afraid of pushing my luck. As I said, I do NOT want to go back to everything be camera faced.
  • Tenshi1 wrote: »
    Well, with their past, and so many people have tried to tell what they want, and BHS has mainly done what THEY want, it doesn't give people an incentive to do it anymore.

I personally have got shot down by some of this toxic community for expressing my ideas.

But in any case, I will put this. @Halrath would you at least talk with BHS about putting the system back to when we had the "camera direction" and "Character direction" options in the controller options?

I doubt BHS would do anything though, and EME's already talked with them once or twice and they agreed to do at least this, I'm afraid of pushing my luck. As I said, I do NOT want to go back to everything be camera faced.

I can request it again, of course. We pushed back pretty hard on this, but met with...resistance. Do not hold out much hope that this will change anytime soon. I'm just trying to set your expectations, not shoot you down.
  • EdomdrahEdomdrah ✭✭
    @Halrath
    Maybe suggest it as: let's add legacy support for veteran players?
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭
    Like I said, I'm afraid that if they do present it again, it'll ALL go back to camera facing. As said before: DO NOT WANT
  • please bring back the character direction option to how it was before with skills.... please ;-;
  • Edomdrah wrote: »
    Tenshi1 wrote: »

Have you tried playing since patch yesterday? Many of them is fixed :)

No, they aren't fixed at all, prior to patch you could be standing still without any movement input and your skill would go in the direction you were facing... now you have to have an input in while using a skill to get it to go in your character's direction vice the camera's.
    This is crippling in a situation where you don't want to move in the direction of a skill that has 2 animations. For example: "smite" for reaper has 2 different animations where you can either stay put (no directional input) and use that hit box (3ish meters behind you and 5ish in front), or move a few meters forward (any directional input) and have a different hit box (from 4-12ish meters in front of you)... that's the difference between catching someone right behind you with a stun or just missing a stun and now moving a few meters for nothing and possibly at a disadvantage where you have to close distance to get a stagger(pendulum strike) off or some such.
    To call the issue fixed when such a problem still exist is wrong.

P.S. Other skills this applies to are Grim Strike and Sundering Strike; both of which have 2 different animations based on movement inputs.

please ;-; agree with all of this just please set things back <_>
12346»