There will be no maintenance for TERA on 11/21.

What EME is doing to reduce lag in TERA [Updated 5/18]

Comments

• DreadweaverDreadweaver ✭✭✭
    Last half hour horrific lags on CH! Whole guild lags :naughty:
  • CH lagging so hard, can't even open inventory, totally unplayable.
  • I can confirm, Celestial Hills is lagging a lot.
  • ok i thing we need more event like this so we can do only afk in whole time and got free stuf and you dont have to fix ur lagg issue anymore.... easy way huh your server gone be crowd try that... PEACE \m/
  • JenieveJenieve ✭✭✭
    in fact it made lag worse (since its clearly a bw or connection saturation issue).. but at least there all these players that are not contributing to community logging in right?
  • LaemieLaemie
    edited June 18
    Are ppl still talking about the routing thingy? I swear i never encountered any huge spike before the last maint. Ever since the last maint, it has been spiking 2-5 seconds every 5-10 mins, literally for EVERYONE both in dungeons AND open world. And im not making up anything, i literally took a few pics for this "Everyday-lag".
    First run after maint:
    bBT2MqS.jpg

Then:
    y9zji4p.jpg

VShm wiped thanks to the new introduced mechanic:
    xCB5hGX.jpg

This is the most extreme one, wiped at Darkan after putting alot of effort in.
    ySIzTg1.jpg

You can clearly see ppl outside of the run complained about the lag at the same time we lagged out in the dungeon, and its 100% like this. Everytime we lag in dungeon, our Guild chat explodes with OMG LAG... I cant even... Every run, it lags, everyone stops moving -> wipe, repeat and rinse. When you do dungeons you only pray that the game wont lag at the right time so your group can come back after the chain deaths. The RNG has got to a next level at this point.

If you wonder, those ppl saying lag in the chat, theyre all from US, they all play with under 70 ping. And yeah im from CH... Just wanted to get it off my chest because this is unfair...

Edit: Hide all the names that are not my guildies
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18
    Yey, finally CH died too :hurrah:

PS: for a short time, but was nice lol

PSS: it seems some players got kicked out, not whole server went down and massive spikes. :winky:
  • DreadweaverDreadweaver ✭✭✭
    > @LesbianVi said:
    > Yey, finally CH died too :hurrah:
    >
    > PS: for a short time, but was nice lol
    >
    > PSS: it seems some players got kicked out, not whole server went down and massive spikes. :winky:

Eh? When? Didn't notice :silenced:
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dreadweaver around the time I posted that, couple of us got kicked out, and had couple of heavy spikes after :winky:
  • MaiiyuMaiiyu ✭✭
    My ping on TERA is actually significantly lower than when I was playing 2 years ago, I can't comment on the spikes though as my net connection itself spikes a lot so usually I won't notice if it is me or the server :cry:
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭
    At 15:24 PDT/23:24 UTC+0100, ping to diag.enmasse.com was 110, but in game ping to Highwatch on Mount Tyrannas was 1189ms. If that's a routing issue, that's a [filtered] awesome route of 110ms from the UK, but 1189ms to the live server.
    tracert diag.enmasse.com

Tracing route to diag.enmasse.com [208.67.49.180]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
      2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      3    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  31.55.186.193
      4    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  31.55.186.212
      5    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  core3-hu0-16-0-1.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.196]
      6    11 ms    11 ms    10 ms  213.137.183.38
      7    89 ms    89 ms    89 ms  ixp1-xe-1-1-0-0.us-ash.eu.bt.net [166.49.208.123]
      8    89 ms    88 ms    89 ms  166-49-169-110.eu.bt.net [166.49.169.110]
      9    89 ms    90 ms    89 ms  208.173.158.25
     10   110 ms   109 ms   110 ms  cr1-te-0-8-0-0.washington.savvis.net [204.70.207.121]
     11   111 ms   111 ms   111 ms  206.28.96.209
     12   109 ms   113 ms   110 ms  hr3-xe-8-0-0.elkgrovech3.savvis.net [204.70.198.73]
     13   109 ms   109 ms   108 ms  64.37.205.6
     14   110 ms   109 ms   109 ms  208.67.49.180

Trace complete.

cqe1fgE.jpg]

====

I had a reasonable run of okay-ish ping for about a week and then I've been having issues since a certain AFK event started. And I have friends all in the US who are telling me the exact same thing.

My theory on this is that the Open World part of Mount Tyrannas doesn't like lots of people logged in being AFK. It probably doesn't help that players are creatively using certain features in the game (such as the Training Golems for Zerker Tanking in Highwatch to keep toons in combat) to stay AFK.

I'm also going to guess that since this is a extremely low effort for rewards event, there are a load of people that wouldn't normally playing who have just logged on for the 5 hours a day free stuff over the weekend. If this is the case, then server load is increased even further beyond what EME may have expected.

And of course, you won't find a lot of these players complaining about lag because they aren't actually doing anything to interact with the game apart from logging in and staying still, so they would never notice the lag.

Only players that were trying to do something would notice, and I would think that those figures have gone down this weekend because of the motivation to be afk.
  • czczczczczcz ✭✭✭
    clfarron4 wrote: »
    I'm also going to guess that since this is a extremely low effort for rewards event, there are a load of people that wouldn't normally playing who have just logged on for the 5 hours a day free stuff over the weekend. If this is the case, then server load is increased even further beyond what EME may have expected.

This whole event looks like some sort of load-testing thing on their part, tbh.
  • Lag? Where? :^)
  • SomaHealSomaHeal ✭✭
    Can any staff membrer update us with informations about the constant lag problems?
  • SomaHeal wrote: »
    Can any staff membrer update us with informations about the constant lag problems?

Denommenator is working on an update, but he's extremely busy at the moment. It's important to him (and us), however.