Playerbase communication

Eme, Most of the playerbase dont use the forums, most playerbase dont even look the forums, talking with part of the playerbase on the forums is a good approach, but taking actions that will affect the entire playerbase based on the minority on the forums is bad (just like the TSNM event changes).

Some solutions would be:
-Make pools in-game.
-Put pool links on the actual news on the news pages.
-Send emails.
-Or before taking some kinda of action, write on the news page, or tell people via email something like "we are debating internally about this X matter and would like your opinion on this >Forum link< to decide.

Tl;Dr most people dont read/look those giant forum posts/moans/dramas, if you are gonna take a action that will affect most of the playerbase on any matter, make sure you at least listen/get a opinon of the majority of the playerbase.
«1

Comments

  • FleettFleett ✭✭✭✭
    Make a poll > link it in the game launcher > get results
  • MaiiyuMaiiyu ✭✭
    Agreed! I'm a returning player, last time I played Tonka was still the CM. Back in those days, EME will NEVER make changes based on a few people QQing in forum. That's probably because the staff legit plays the game and knows if it's just a QQ thread or legit thread though.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice if they could do what some other games do lately, random in-game surveys every couple months or so. It's a bit disappointing when action is made over a forum post when many in-game don't share that opinion. Forums for any service is mostly used for complaining. A proper survey would do a better job of finding out what people both like and don't like.
  • Ves1978Ves1978 ✭✭✭✭
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    Would be nice if they could do what some other games do lately, random in-game surveys every couple months or so. It's a bit disappointing when action is made over a forum post when many in-game don't share that opinion. Forums for any service is mostly used for complaining. A proper survey would do a better job of finding out what people both like and don't like.

    exactly. i bet that less than 5% of playerbase is actually active on forums, and you can't get proper feedback from such a small ammount of players.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played this game....Aika Global...they decided to listen to the majority about on event. Other version ran the event for maybe 2 weeks every now and then. But the majority of players wanted it to be on all the time. A small minority QQed on the forums about how damaging the event was for the game but were repeatedly told "you only say this because you are rich". After 3-4 months of that event, they announced they were shutting down the servers. I guess...let's do the same for Tera?
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Maiiyu wrote: »
    Agreed! I'm a returning player, last time I played Tonka was still the CM. Back in those days, EME will NEVER make changes based on a few people QQing in forum. That's probably because the staff legit plays the game and knows if it's just a QQ thread or legit thread though.

    Nope, sorry but you are wrong about EME staff making changes about QQ on forums.

    You can look at the old forums (even from 2012-2013, tonka was still there :p) and will found out how that issue is not something new.
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, those people do have the option to use the forums, they choose not to, so should they still get a say if they don't care enough in the first place? Or maybe they're fine with whatever they get.
  • edited June 2017
    no, we just dont have patience and time to keep folowing and reading all the giant posts on the forum.

    We prefer to play the game on our spare time instead of reading the forum, you know?
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    I played this game....Aika Global...they decided to listen to the majority about on event. Other version ran the event for maybe 2 weeks every now and then. But the majority of players wanted it to be on all the time. A small minority QQed on the forums about how damaging the event was for the game but were repeatedly told "you only say this because you are rich". After 3-4 months of that event, they announced they were shutting down the servers. I guess...let's do the same for Tera?

    I doubt an event is why they shut down, given they seemed desperate to try and please the 'majority' like that. Other versions of the game shut down afterward, it's more likely the game wasn't doing well, as a lot of games over the last few years have shut down. A lot of these games are low in quality and are really only good to those who played it due to memories. A game I played I enjoyed it but from a design stand point it was horrible, and extremely pay to win that the fact it lasted years is actually a surprise.

    Why not look at games that actually succeeded? Any large game is as large as it is because they appealed to larger audiences, not to the 1% hard cores that don't care for anyone but themselves. By the way, appealing to a majority=/=giving them the very exact thing they asked for, there are things people want more that they don't really ask for. It's something people like to make fun of Riot and Blizzard for saying "You think you want that but you don't.", which is why from time to time they put out surveys to see how people are feeling about given patches.

    After all, there are some things no publisher/developer will do even if everyone asked for it, like infinite cash shop currency or too many free cash shop items.
  • KarmaTheAlligatorKarmaTheAlligator ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosGlint wrote: »
    no, we just dont have patience and time to keep folowing and reading all the giant posts on the forum.

    We prefer to play the game on our spare time instead of reading the forum, you know?

    Here's the thing: you can much more easily access the forums than play the game, and it's not like you need to choose one or the other.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    I doubt an event is why they shut down, given they seemed desperate to try and please the 'majority' like that. Other versions of the game shut down afterward, it's more likely the game wasn't doing well, as a lot of games over the last few years have shut down. A lot of these games are low in quality and are really only good to those who played it due to memories. A game I played I enjoyed it but from a design stand point it was horrible, and extremely pay to win that the fact it lasted years is actually a surprise.

    The other versions shut down years later, I think gpotato sold the rights to Aika NA to the Aika Global publisher like 3+ years after Global shut down. And the event was basically the equivalent of a Kyra shack that only has elite vouchers and EMP in the loot table. The majority wanted it to be permanent because then nobody had to spend money on the game. And, well, nobody did.
    Why not look at games that actually succeeded?

    Like GW2 that constantly nerfed stuff that the majority liked but the devs knew was damaging to the longevity of the game?
    Any large game is as large as it is because they appealed to larger audiences, not to the 1% hard cores that don't care for anyone but themselves. By the way, appealing to a majority=/=giving them the very exact thing they asked for, there are things people want more that they don't really ask for. It's something people like to make fun of Riot and Blizzard for saying "You think you want that but you don't.", which is why from time to time they put out surveys to see how people are feeling about given patches.

    I think you got it backwards. If you look at the recent feedback topic, the "hardcores" were saying "don't give out vm mats, that shortens the lifespan of the patch and people get bored". The casual majority was saying "gib vm mats cause I need them". I'd go ahead and say it's the casual majority that's only thinking about themselves. It's also the casual majority that likes mongo because "I get stuffs" while the hardcore people don't because "it breaks the economy".

    But, yes, you can appeal to the large audience without listening to them. The point I was making is that the majority doesn't know what's good for the game, they only know what's good for them.
    After all, there are some things no publisher/developer will do even if everyone asked for it, like infinite cash shop currency or too many free cash shop items.

    Irony.
  • sanj66sanj66 ✭✭✭✭
    ChaosGlint wrote: »
    Eme, Most of the playerbase dont use the forums, most playerbase dont even look the forums, talking with part of the playerbase on the forums is a good approach, but taking actions that will affect the entire playerbase based on the minority on the forums is bad (just like the TSNM event changes).

    Some solutions would be:
    -Make pools in-game.
    -Put pool links on the actual news on the news pages.
    -Send emails.
    -Or before taking some kinda of action, write on the news page, or tell people via email something like "we are debating internally about this X matter and would like your opinion on this >Forum link< to decide.

    Tl;Dr most people dont read/look those giant forum posts/moans/dramas, if you are gonna take a action that will affect most of the playerbase on any matter, make sure you at least listen/get a opinon of the majority of the playerbase.

    first off the word is poll not pool, secondly this just seems like a qq thread about removing talismans from tsnm which should NEVER have been there in the first place nor any vm materials it makes it literally pointless to do the dungeons that are scheduled to drop them in the dungeon rotation.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Like GW2 that constantly nerfed stuff that the majority liked but the devs knew was damaging to the longevity of the game?
    Rather vague here.
    I think you got it backwards. If you look at the recent feedback topic, the "hardcores" were saying "don't give out vm mats, that shortens the lifespan of the patch and people get bored". The casual majority was saying "gib vm mats cause I need them". I'd go ahead and say it's the casual majority that's only thinking about themselves. It's also the casual majority that likes mongo because "I get stuffs" while the hardcore people don't because "it breaks the economy".
    What's the point in saying casuals are being selfish? Both sides are concerned with their own self interests that are harmful to the longevity of the game.
    The point I was making is that the majority doesn't know what's good for the game, they only know what's good for them.
    This applies to "hard core players". They want the grind to stay, a grind they don't actually participate in themselves. Finishing sets before HM is out then complaining how bored they are of Tera 5 runs later and how unrewarding a gear grind based MMORPG is after they skipped it. Talking about longevity of a patch seems rather absurd when "hard core" players are allowed to skip the cycle entirely every patch all while complaining about it.

    Tera has failed at both drawing in new players and maintaining it, but I'm sure Tera needs to continue staying as is because that's worked out.
    Irony.

    Not sure you know what Irony is, taking an extreme stance isn't a good way to prove a point and indicates a lack of one if anything. There is such a thing as moderate. One doesn't have to take action that goes in the extreme of either direction.

    By the way, your example is extremely dishonest. It's very easy to try looking back on an old game and justify any investment while being blind to all of its flaws. At its time the game was viewed as heavily pay to win, had severe imbalances and was not handled well. Games developed by such studios always had these very common issues. The closure of these games are also generally decided or discussed pretty early, meaning it was decided before the event. Games like these either close down are are published in a "low budget" manner with a low population. Before they close such generous events with loads of free IM stuff, or IM currency, is also pretty standard.

    If you really want to go on with the game was great and the community ruined it, despite it failing in other regions, that's fine.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    Rather vague here.

    One thing that comes to mind is when they nerfed the boss train. You know, that totally awesome activity that the majority really liked and it involved players running in circles on maps hitting a mini world boss ones to collect loot.
    What's the point in saying casuals are being selfish? Both sides are concerned with their own self interests that are harmful to the longevity of the game.
    The point I was making is that the majority doesn't know what's good for the game, they only know what's good for them.
    This applies to "hard core players". They want the grind to stay, a grind they don't actually participate in themselves. Finishing sets before HM is out then complaining how bored they are of Tera 5 runs later and how unrewarding a gear grind based MMORPG is after they skipped it. Talking about longevity of a patch seems rather absurd when "hard core" players are allowed to skip the cycle entirely every patch all while complaining about it.

    You and I have vastly different ideas of what a hardcore player is. Also, i can find you some posts by kamizuma where he says "this is against my personal interest but it's better for the game". Can you find a single casual player saying "This event is against my selfinterest but it's better for the game"?
    Tera has failed at both drawing in new players and maintaining it, but I'm sure Tera needs to continue staying as is because that's worked out.

    You know what, I see your point. Let's listen to the majority. Bring back the original mongo and keep it permanent. Let's have VM mats dropping in CW. That'll surely retain players when you give them all the things in 1 week and remove any incentive to play past that point.
    Not sure you know what Irony is, taking an extreme stance isn't a good way to prove a point and indicates a lack of one if anything. There is such a thing as moderate. One doesn't have to take action that goes in the extreme of either direction.

    By the way, your example is extremely dishonest. It's very easy to try looking back on an old game and justify any investment while being blind to all of its flaws. At its time the game was viewed as heavily pay to win, had severe imbalances and was not handled well. Games developed by such studios always had these very common issues. The closure of these games are also generally decided or discussed pretty early, meaning it was decided before the event. Games like these either close down are are published in a "low budget" manner with a low population. Before they close such generous events with loads of free IM stuff, or IM currency, is also pretty standard.

    If you really want to go on with the game was great and the community ruined it, despite it failing in other regions, that's fine.

    "These two versions of the same game closed within 5 years of each other. Must be the game design." Unlike you, I actually played Aika Global and can tell you exactly what lead to it closing while other versions were still thriving.

    PS: The point I'm making is, this shouldn't be decided by the majority because the majority doesn't know what the game needs. It should be done by the player council who, hopeful, have a better understanding of what would ruin things and what won't. But if you believe 50 people who've never stepped foot in a 3 star dungeon know more than you, well, that's your problem.
  • These are community events, if players don't join the community, and that implies using the forums, then they won't get represented.
    They have the possibility of speaking, expressing their opinion, if they don't use that chance then why should you worry about them?
    It's like making a referendum on a law - if ppl don't vote, then they can't complain later when things are done.
    It's how democracy works. You have something to say? Say it. If you don't care, then you have no right to complain.
    That's how I see it.
Sign In or Register to comment.