Help Me Understand

I was just wondering if anyone has found a solution to the black screening (or different colors) that makes you have to completely hard reset your computer, Ive done some digging and it seems like its an occurring issue to a lot of people. It's happened to me at least 5-10 times today, ive already already sent in a support ticket months ago and they gave me advice that ive already done countless times including: Repair tool, Uninstall/Reinstall the game, ive ran the game as a administrator, updated my graphics driver, etc etc. I just wanted to know if someone has already solved this problem and if they could shed some light on the situation. Thanks!

My specs:
Model: ASUS Desktop PC G20AJ Series
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 750 driver version 382.53

Comments

• Sound like a GPU problem to me, it may be faulty if it crashes that often, check for overheating and run some gpu tests or something.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yberion wrote: »
    Sound like a GPU problem to me, it may be faulty if it crashes that often, check for overheating and run some gpu tests or something.

It does indeed. To make a complete hard reset, it's usually just bad hardware failures. And by bad I mean "[filtered]'s gonna blow up man! Power down that PC!!" ~in the words of the motherboard~.

Run a stress test to see if it does the same, like Unigine Heaven or Furmark. If it still does hard reset, and do the test for a while checking temperatures, then we know it's a faulty GPU OR could be power supply issue.

In fact it would be good to stress test both CPU and GPU. Run Prime95 to stress test the CPU too, and if nothing happens during GPU only test (like Furmark) then run both stress test together. Hard reset only with both? Sounds like bad power supply then.
  • It's a problem with the GTX series from what I understand :c I have the same issue and spent a lot of time googling it and looking here and there. I forget where I found the info but, iirc, it has to do with a flaw in the card that basically causes games that are not ah....well optimized (such as Tera) to crash, black screen, freak your computer out so it's squealing and screaming and you have to hard reset. :c If anyone finds a fix tho, please post it, I'd like to know how to make it stop too.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    When does the game blackscreen? While loading into it or after playing for some time?
    When you get the black screen, does the entire computer die or can you still hear sounds?
  • DelusoDeluso ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I just want to know, what's your power supply unit rate?
    Sounds like your PSU is failing or doesn't have enough power to run. Have you tried to stress test your cpu? Like, run it on full power with program like Furmak or Prime95 to test all CPU, GPU and PSU at once.

Edit 1:
    Now I've come to understand that your computer isn't custom build but rather ready-made by factory. I did like to suggest to test all your hardware with program like Furmak or Prime95 as above.
  • KillerPenguinsKillerPenguins ✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a power supply issue to me; usually the multi-colored corruption-looking screens are indicative of an important component not getting enough power. Stress testing would definitely show if that's the case. If it's only tera that does it and not other resource-intensive programs, then more investigation is needed.
  • DelusoDeluso ✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a power supply issue to me; usually the multi-colored corruption-looking screens are indicative of an important component not getting enough power. Stress testing would definitely show if that's the case. If it's only tera that does it and not other resource-intensive programs, then more investigation is needed.

Tera use lot of resources unnecessarily indeed. It is however, would be a wise decision to test all the hardware before blaming some software/game at fault. Once we rule out failed hardware, then we can proceed in depth investigation on said software/game.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a problem with the GTX series from what I understand :c I have the same issue and spent a lot of time googling it and looking here and there. I forget where I found the info but, iirc, it has to do with a flaw in the card that basically causes games that are not ah....well optimized (such as Tera) to crash, black screen, freak your computer out so it's squealing and screaming and you have to hard reset. :c If anyone finds a fix tho, please post it, I'd like to know how to make it stop too.

This is definitely not a GTX 750 issue, as my brother has this exact same GPU on his PC and no issues at all.
    It's very specific to his own machine, and I would judge it to be an overheating issue, or power supply problem. Like me and Deluso said, stress test it to see when it happens.

It's DEFINITELY not TERA sided, so if you've got the knowledge to try out those stress tests and fix it up, we may be able to help (as much as text help can do the trick)
  • DWDE6GFGWHDWDE6GFGWH ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    If your computer crashes and you get different colors it is not a PSU issue, sounds like it's your GPU. Your PSU would literally turn your whole computer off, having to turn it back on with the switch on your PSU. If it was your CPU it would just turn itself off to avoid damage if it gets to hot. Get a replacement GPU and test it.

I had this before and my GPU died 3 days after.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    DWDE6GFGWH wrote: »
    If your computer crashes and you get different colors it is not a PSU issue, sounds like it's your GPU. Your PSU would literally turn your whole computer off, having to turn it back on with the switch on your PSU. If it was your CPU it would just turn itself off to avoid damage if it gets to hot. Get a replacement GPU and test it.

I had this before and my GPU died 3 days after.

1 - lack of sufficient or clean enough power, can indeed lead to glitches AND ultimately kill the GPU off by burning it's VRMs.
    2 - kinda expensive way to test hardware if you don't have a spare literally at hand or a friend that could help.
  • FYI. There was an issue with some of the GTX750 cards (basically ASUS had bad batches of them) in the G20AJ series (this is a small form factor PC which uses an external power brick). I happened to have one of these before (new at the time) where it had graphics corruption once I loaded up any game. I was able to swap it for the newer CB10 version (paying the difference since it was a much better CPU/GPU config) while it was still within the return/exchange period.

This is ASUS' ROG forum where you can search and find others reporting issues with the graphics cards in their G20AJ's from back in 2015.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI. There was an issue with some of the GTX750 cards (basically ASUS had bad batches of them) in the G20AJ series (this is a small form factor PC which uses an external power brick). I happened to have one of these before (new at the time) where it had graphics corruption once I loaded up any game. I was able to swap it for the newer CB10 version (paying the difference since it was a much better CPU/GPU config) while it was still within the return/exchange period.

This is ASUS' ROG forum where you can search and find others reporting issues with the graphics cards in their G20AJ's from back in 2015.

Oh so that's some interesting point. It's not related to the GPU itself (as in everyone with a GTX 750 is affected) but the specific cards used, nice note. Specially since as you said it's exactly the machine OP has, so better take a look at it.
  • Thank you everyone for your advice ill try it out :)
  • TWMagimay wrote: »
    When does the game blackscreen? While loading into it or after playing for some time?
    When you get the black screen, does the entire computer die or can you still hear sounds?

Usually in dungeons or pvp randomly. It has happened when i was just standing still but dungeons and pvp mostly and not even in the laggy areas either.
  • ElinLove wrote: »
    Oh so that's some interesting point. It's not related to the GPU itself (as in everyone with a GTX 750 is affected) but the specific cards used, nice note. Specially since as you said it's exactly the machine OP has, so better take a look at it.
    Yep. IIRC, it was an issue with whomever they sourced that batch of cards from. I do remember it was a large number of systems affected and some marginal cards may have lasted awhile before finally blowing a cap from heat (the air flow design in this small form factor box is pretty decent but I believe the software controlling the fans work on a percentage basis and sometimes don't go on when they should; leading to eventual failure).

With that said, the newer CB10's haven't had as much of these issues with the GTX 980, 1070, and 1080's.

Ueniri, sounds like your card works at times before crapping out to corruption. It's probably just a matter of time before it will have more graphical artifacts/corruption. if your system is out of the manufacturer warranty period/seller return period, I wouldn't recommend trying to get ASUS to fix it (heard some nightmare stories). You can pop open the case and simply replace the card yourself. YouTube has videos on how to open it up. You can't go above the 750 though unless you pickup that extra power brick that plugs into the other power port. I will say the 980 or higher is REALLY nice for this and many other games though.