[PC] Maintenance is completed!

Status Update and Community Call-to-Action Regarding Recent Increase in Lag-Related Incidents

Comments

• KillerPenguinsKillerPenguins ✭✭✭✭
    @Denommenator Any updates? Is there any chance tera will be playable during the double drop event? Even being able to play for a day or two during the event would be nice.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uptown wrote: »
    Since May? There has been extreme lag problems since I started playing this game three years ago.

Lag is a common topic in these forums since more than 4 years ago.

And if you look at other games your will see how each month there are threads about people complaining about lag and saying that is no their problem but game servers issues.
  • Learn play with lag, is the key :^)
  • KillerPenguinsKillerPenguins ✭✭✭✭
    I wish that were an option, but being disconnected for 3 seconds of every 10 is not really possible to compensate for.
  • DreadweaverDreadweaver ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    > @AshirogiMuto said:
    > Learn play with lag, is the key :^)

Brilliant! By the way working I admit ^^ and the nerve system not damaged :winky:

CH has it sooooo da/mn bad today! To the point that we cannot use chat at all! It is dead for three four mins. Everyone whom I asked from friends probed that they had same. Some us some EU guys. This has nothing woth routing and ping fine. Server lagged for few mins.

Ps. Excuses for non readable text. Telephone :d
  • JeszalinJeszalin ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I believe what's causing the lagg is probably the fact that the game is poorly optimized. If the client coding is rearranged I'm very sure it will solve the lagg issue.
  • SocateKunSocateKun ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @Denommenator I can see your not an engineer and have no clue how to test this.
    The problem is easy to pinpoint and get to the root of it.
    1. You need to set multiple traceroute machines.
    2. You need multiple ISP for this.
    3. You need close and far traceroute machies,preferabile South America EU RU Asia Australia Africa included.
    4. After you get all the traceroute data you complie it and see where are abnormaly large spikes in ping.
    5. Go to on location of the phisical servers/nodes and investigate if software/hardware is an issue.
    6. Replace/fix the server/node that was previously ping "crazy".
    7. Repeate 3 and 4 to compare results.
    8. Report your findings to the company that you pay for poor services.
    9. Apologize and compensate your customers for your bad product delivery and managemet of the situation.
    And I mean compensate substantialy not some random 7 day rental no one cares about things.
    To be honest your vision on what you ask players to do,is report some random data with no real world aplicability, I mean I have PPoE connection with dynamic IP thats like 0 help to you since my IP changes every time I close my internet connection, the diag tool from the launcher is outdated and serves no porpuse is like a dxdiag tool only it does a traceroute.
  • edited July 2017
    SocateKun wrote: »
    ...are you actually serious? "All they need to do" is setup machines all over the world on different ISPs and physically travel to all the locations of all the suspect third-party routing nodes to inspect and diagnose their facility and equipment? Who in the world has that sort of authority and access? Do you have any idea how much that would cost? And besides, do you really think some tiny game publisher in Seattle has the responsibility and authority to diagnose and fix the entire world's routing problems?

To be honest your vision on what you ask players to do,is report some random data with no real world aplicability, I mean I have PPoE connection with dynamic IP thats like 0 help to you since my IP changes every time I close my internet connection, the diag tool from the launcher is outdated and serves no porpuse is like a dxdiag tool only it does a traceroute.
    Unless you're actually changing your ISP every single day, what difference does your IP address make???

o_O
  • Haggard86Haggard86 ✭✭✭✭
    Counterpoint shhhh, the answer is simple. EME must embark on an adventure, every Friday on the livestream, they could stream from a different part of the world and tell us all about how they are saving the worlds internet, one node at a time.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haggard86 wrote: »
    Counterpoint shhhh, the answer is simple. EME must embark on an adventure, every Friday on the livestream, they could stream from a different part of the world and tell us all about how they are saving the worlds internet, one node at a time.

Join to the #EMEworldTour2017.

Stay tuned your city could be the next one we aim to stream.

PS. The city/country with the most viewers on each stream will get the oportunity to get the stream from there (rng applied).
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    ...are you actually serious? "All they need to do" is setup machines all over the world on different ISPs and physically travel to all the locations of all the suspect third-party routing nodes to inspect and diagnose their facility and equipment? Who in the world has that sort of authority and access? Do you have any idea how much that would cost? And besides, do you really think some tiny game publisher in Seattle has the responsibility and authority to diagnose and fix the entire world's routing problems?

They might not be able to present a business case right now to do that, but that does not mean that they could build the business case to do it to present to the board in stages. Actually, if people are submitting diagnostic logs through Support/e-mail to [email protected], they at least have the player side of things and should be able to make a business case to go to the places from where the most complaints come from.

I handle a lot of data on quite a few servers as part of my job. If I cannot physically park my [filtered] on the case of the data server I hold my data on whenever I please, I have to use an encrypted VPN to connect to it for the security of the data whilst it is in transit from the data centre to me (with special provisions to forgo the encryption requirement in certain situations).

It would not surprise me if EME have a similar type of policy and procedure for connecting to their servers (they did do server time in UTC, so I do believe that they could implement the usage of VPNs for work connections to the servers for data protection).

If EME run their work connections through both VPN and clear connections, then what I am about to say is null and void

However, if they only run all their company connections to the servers through company approved VPNs, then EME would be in the situation where it may not be possible for them to see issues with the Internet (unless they are huge) because the VPN is smoothing out lag spikes in the connection between EME and the servers [1]. If this is the case, then a business case could be made to run the diagnostics on a straight, no-VPN/no proxy connection to see what is going on. Depending on the results, there may be a case to further expand an investigation based on evidence that EME have collected themselves (instead of just relying on the players reports).
    Unless you're actually changing your ISP every single day, what difference does your IP address make???

o_O

My work ISP bind the IP range that my company use to different physical nodes within the country. And those bindings change on average once a week, so one week the work traffic could be going through the capital city and the next week it could be going through a different node hundreds of miles away and route the "last mile" traffic internally (even though that "last mile" could be hundreds of miles)...

[1] I would like to point out here that this has been discussed multiple times on the forums and it was concluded that players using VPNs to smooth out ping spikes in their connection was against ToS. But that's a different discussion.
  • clfarron4 wrote: »
    If EME run their work connections through both VPN and clear connections, then what I am about to say is null and void
    EME staff aren't obliged to connect to the public TERA game servers over VPN.

Even then, people connect to the servers from all over the planet over thousands of different hops. This isn't something where they can just turn off their VPN and suddenly they'll see what it's like to have lag in TERA.

clfarron4 wrote: »
    [1] I would like to point out here that this has been discussed multiple times on the forums and it was concluded that players using VPNs to smooth out ping spikes in their connection was against ToS. But that's a different discussion.
    It is indeed a different discussion, but this is actually false, unless you are using it to bypass a ban.
  • i just downloaded more than 100gb via torrent and now the client is downloading more that kinda turns me off having to wait all that time , and now i reed i am downloading a game that lags.. man this rly makes me close the client and uninstall the game right away . btw i never played it .
  • is the game worth it or is it an abandoned lag game?
  • DreadweaverDreadweaver ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    No. -sometimes-
    The lags depend on ISP :awesome: