[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Overcoming "Elitism"

I have seen countless posts about Elitism in Tera's end-game. After reading "The LFG Problem(MT)" in the PvE section of the forums today, I was inspired to write this.

DISCLAIMER: This post is not a direct response to "The LFG Problem(MT)".

There is no magical way to get into a group that doesn't want you. If you want to become a person that ALL groups want, you have to put in time/effort to become skilled and you have to have VM gear.

This post is aimed at people who have put/are currently putting in the time and effort it takes to become skilled at their class, but don't quite have their VM gear yet. I have written tips to help these individuals start molding themselves into the type of player that other players want around. If they keep working at their class and follow my tips/other helpful tips, by the time they do have their VM gear they will be primed and ready to compete at higher levels of game-play within Tera.

If you don't have a desire to be the best you can be, this post isn't for you.
If you don't have proper glyphs and a gear-set with proper rolls/etchings/crystals, this post isn't for you.
If you don't have any plans to make VM gear, this post isn't for you.

Please return once you meet all of the above criteria.

MAIN TOPIC:
I have played Tera for 5 months at level 65-Reaper on MT. When I started I was inexperienced and alone. Now I am in VM gear, I'm skilled in PvP/PvE and I am part of a strong end-game guild. Also, my friend's list is full of skilled players.

^The above description of me is important because I want you to know that I have experienced many of the struggles that our playerbase goes thru. I know what it's like to be turned down by LFG over and over. I know what it's like to be judged based on gear and not skill. I know what its like for people to make me feel like I suck, or just straight up tell me I suck.
I also know what it's like to overcome all of that AND YOU CAN TOO.

It's important to understand that some people are just born to be better at video games than others. We can't control certain factors. What we can control is how hard we work.
If you're willing to put in the time/effort needed to become skilled, then you're already on your way. There may be many things that discourage you from your goal, but don't let them determine your path.

Here are my tips:

Tip #1 - Apply to a LFG that you don't think will accept you.
-This doesn't apply to every situation, but for example: If you are full +12 DN with proper rolls/etchings/crystals and are "skilled" in FIHM, then APPLY TO THAT "+13 FIHM" ON LFG ALREADY!
You will get turned down most of the time, but every now and then you will get accepted. This can be translated to many different scenarios.
The point is: If your character is properly geared and you know you have enough skill to complete something, don't let requirements on the LFG stop you. PM the LFG leader and tell them why you would be asset for the party.
Do whatever it takes(but be respectful) to get your chance, THEN prove yourself when you do. This leads me to my next tip...


Tip #2 - Always perform at your best.
-When you are trying to make a name for yourself as a reliable person to party with, you want to play at your best. ESPECIALLY around people who are skilled. Every single dungeon you run is building your reputation.
There are plenty of people who pay attention to how well someone is playing their class. If you doing high DPS for your gear, someone will notice. If you are positioning the boss so that your DPS has a ton of backtime, someone will notice. If you are healing well + debuffing/estars/auras and mana charging, people will notice. IF YOU DON'T DIE OFTEN, PEOPLE WILL NOTICE.
It will take time, but if you consistently do well people will notice. Impressing people can open doors for you.


Tip #3 - Be respectful
-People like to party with skilled players, but they also like to party with their friends. If you are nice to people and try to be helpful, you will eventually make friends. Making friends can open doors for you.


Tip #4 - Be relentless
-Tera is a game, but it's also a competition. You will always face challenges when you try to reach the highest levels of competition. There will always be negative people and situations that make you doubt yourself, so block those people and learn from those situations.
Research anything you want to know more about until you know everything you can about it. Practice your rotations until you they are ingrained in your muscle memory. Ask questions when you have them and don't be ashamed for not knowing something. If you make a mistake, take the necessary steps to make sure you don't do it again. Never stop looking for ways to improve.


Tip #5 - Be careful
-As some people climb the Tera ladder, they become more and more like the Elitists that they used to detest. If you see yourself becoming this way, stop and look back. Remember what it was like for you trying to work your way up the ladder.



There is an imaginary wall in Tera's endgame. You are either on the side of the wall where you are skilled enough and have enough connections to other skilled players that you don't have trouble putting together a strong group for something |-OR-| you are on the other side.

A lot of people who are +15 and are used to running with +15 are not going to want to run with someone in lesser gear, BUT NOT ALL OF THEM. Getting to the other side of the wall takes time and effort. If you consider my tips while you are playing, I believe you have a better chance of success on your journey to the other side of the wall.

DISCLAIMER: EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT SO EACH OUTCOME MAY DIFFER. I AM JUST SHARING WHAT WORKED FOR ME.


GOOD LUCK

«1345

Comments

  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for your insight mate- i really like tip #2 because seeing people being lazy is frustrating. i don't expect it to be all out- like using heaven's elixir and lamb bulgogi on all fights, but i used to see players in good gear and not using onslaught crit power or healers being reactive and not proactive (ie. mana regen). thankfully, the new talisman trio and everful nostrum makes those with elite subscription have free onslaught scrolls and charms... some people used to ignore consumables because it "costs money".

    Imo, i don't think elitism is the problem that most people are confronted with.
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    This is all good and well, but do people really believe "We don't want party members that will hold us back" is elitism?
  • BanimBanim ✭✭✭
    Acendia wrote: »
    This is all good and well, but do people really believe "We don't want party members that will hold us back" is elitism?

    Yes, sadly. The word gets thrown around a lot very freely. It tends to come from players who they themselves won't make/join a party of people at the same gear and skill level as them for a learning or practice run. In my experience that's how people learn, get better, make a circle of friends and contacts and start getting runs and things done. At least that's how I got all my shiny titles and stuff, by running with individuals in a similar situation as myself (in other words, people who never cleared a particular dungeon before, so we proceed to overcoming it together). But many refuse and wrongly think it's a requirement to join the more skilled, experienced and geared people to clear content.

    The only obstacle and so-called elitism often resides in the people complaining about it, who are not willing to be more self-sufficient and take an initiative. It can be intimidating for some people and not always easy to get things going, but it can't always be blamed on others.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acendia wrote: »
    This is all good and well, but do people really believe "We don't want party members that will hold us back" is elitism?

    Holding a group back is a skill problem and not a gear problem. I've never been in a situation where I thought "if only these people had better stats".
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    Holding a group back is a skill problem and not a gear problem. I've never been in a situation where I thought "if only these people had better stats".

    Of course it is also a gear problem, a tank without at least Wrathful crystal will never be able to keep aggro properly. And while I'm talking about crystals, no matter how much skill you have, you will get nowhere near what proper crystals can do for you. Don't go forgetting crystals can literally multiply your damage by about 4 times.
  • DreamMTDreamMT ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Greystrike wrote: »
    Tip #1 - Apply to a LFG that you don't think will accept you.
    -This doesn't apply to every situation, but for example: If you are full +12 DN with proper rolls/etchings/crystals and are "skilled" in FIHM, then APPLY TO THAT "+13 FIHM" ON LFG ALREADY!
    You will get turned down most of the time, but every now and then you will get accepted. This can be translated to many different scenarios.
    The point is: If your character is properly geared and you know you have enough skill to complete something, don't let requirements on the LFG stop you. PM the LFG leader and tell them why you would be asset for the party.
    Do whatever it takes(but be respectful) to get your chance, THEN prove yourself when you do.

    This exactly. When I put +15 skilled, I expect anyone in the right rolls/crystals/glyphs who is skilled at their class to join.
    As long as you play like a +15 and you put the minimal effort into your characters gear and glyphs, it doesn't matter if your in VM or not.
    Ily grey <3 Dreamer
  • ChiSauChiSau ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Acendia wrote: »
    This is all good and well, but do people really believe "We don't want party members that will hold us back" is elitism?



    It isn't elitism.

    That is why I said "This doesn't apply to every situation" in tip #1
    That is why I also said "Apply to that '+13 FIHM'" in tip #1, instead of saying +15. +13 is more realistic. Tho I was occasionally accepted into +15 runs when I had +12 DN.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acendia wrote: »
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    Holding a group back is a skill problem and not a gear problem. I've never been in a situation where I thought "if only these people had better stats".

    Of course it is also a gear problem, a tank without at least Wrathful crystal will never be able to keep aggro properly. And while I'm talking about crystals, no matter how much skill you have, you will get nowhere near what proper crystals can do for you. Don't go forgetting crystals can literally multiply your damage by about 4 times.

    Talking about gear differences, assuming equal crystals. It is understandable to reject someone over improper crystals.
  • ChiSauChiSau ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    saiki26 wrote: »
    How cute an anti elitism support group.

    I will give you the real tips:

    1: Stop doing pve-- seriously its a waste of time who wants to kill a bunch of mobs with ppl you hate? Get in the pvp melting pot when you finally get your gear it will actually be rewarding.

    2: Costume game > equipment game-- Use your head think about how many fugly castanics in fashion coupon welfare cosmetics are flaunting shiny titles. Thats because shiny titles are a joke and the only real sign of being an OG is having 2+ pet pages of costumes.

    1. This post applies to both PvP and PvE.

    2. Can't argue this one.
  • ChiSauChiSau ✭✭
    6JLA95GJEP wrote: »
    Greystrike wrote: »
    Tip #1 - Apply to a LFG that you don't think will accept you.
    -This doesn't apply to every situation, but for example: If you are full +12 DN with proper rolls/etchings/crystals and are "skilled" in FIHM, then APPLY TO THAT "+13 FIHM" ON LFG ALREADY!
    You will get turned down most of the time, but every now and then you will get accepted. This can be translated to many different scenarios.
    The point is: If your character is properly geared and you know you have enough skill to complete something, don't let requirements on the LFG stop you. PM the LFG leader and tell them why you would be asset for the party.
    Do whatever it takes(but be respectful) to get your chance, THEN prove yourself when you do.

    This exactly. When I put +15 skilled, I expect anyone in the right rolls/crystals/glyphs who is skilled at their class to join.
    As long as you play like a +15 and you put the minimal effort into your characters gear and glyphs, it doesn't matter if your in VM or not.
    Ily grey <3 Dreamer

    Thanks for the input, Dreamer. You're one of the good ones.

    <3
  • Mobius1Mobius1 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    If you want to truly be 1337, try not playing a little girl with animal ears.

    I mean seriously, how would you explain that one to your RL gamer friends?
  • ChiSauChiSau ✭✭
    edited May 2016

    Mobius1 wrote: »
    If you want to truly be 1337, try not playing a little girl with animal ears.

    I mean seriously, how would you explain that one to your RL gamer friends?

    "RL gamer friend": Why yu playing girl with animal ears?

    Me: My class is race-locked

    "RL gamer friend": Oh Ok

    RL gamer friend in quotes b/c doesn't exist
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobius1 wrote: »
    If you want to truly be 1337, try not playing a little girl with animal ears.

    I mean seriously, how would you explain that one to your RL gamer friends?

    Just have none, then there wont ever be anything to explain.
  • One thing that should be added as an 'addition for healers':

    -Expect the Tank and DPS of your groups to not move out of AoE Killzones anymore, because they expect you to compensate for their lack of skill.

    And this applies to western MMOS:

    -Expect to get asked to have the gear from the next dungeon, to get invited to the actual dungeon whose gear you need to even tackle the content giving the gear they want you to have already.
  • The key to become better is to TRY HARD!
Sign In or Register to comment.