edited March 22 in Off-Topic

Comments

• gibgib ✭✭✭
    transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only)

tran·sient
    ˈtranSHənt,ˈtranzēənt/Submit
    adjective
    lasting only for a short time; impermanent.

squirrel.app is an installer used in the installation process. taken directly from their twitter:

it's not like they're wire tapping your computer and listening to everything you say to blackmail you or use it against you, rofl. do you know how many people use discord? can you imagine tracking millions of peoples' voice communications daily? it's not plausible.

almost all services that require you to sign up and login will store your usernames passwords and emails.

take off your tin foil hat please
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest your privacy is gone the moment you are on the internet. Just be really smart about what you do to reduce that impact lol. It is the same for any VoIP application whose server isn't on your end. Teamspeak's sole practicality is not there because you have to either pay for a server depending on the size of your community or risk your particulars taken (the exact alleged problem with Discord you mentioned) to begin with on public servers. Discord has way more functionality for slightly less footprint and it is in essence free no matter how many people you have in your server.
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    OH GOSH, so it's true they act innocent, but they really are using your data. ALL OF IT!

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/441sy8/discords_problematic_your_data_licensing_clause/

It reads.....

[–]vishnevskiy- Stanislav#7943 • • 37 points• 1 year ago

Hey there.

CTO of Discord here.

This part of the ToS is to allow us to send data through Discord on your behalf. This statement does exist in Slack but its definitely phrased differently.

" In order for us to provide the Service to you, we require that you grant us certain rights with respect to Your Data. For example, we need to be able to transmit, store and copy Your Data in order to display it to you and your teammates, to index it so you are able to search it, to make backups to prevent data loss, and so on. Your acceptance of this TOS gives us the permission to do so and grants us any such rights necessary to provide the service to you, only for the purpose of providing the service (and for no other purpose). This permission includes allowing us to use third-party service providers (such as Amazon Web Services) in the operation and administration of the Service and the rights granted to us are extended to these third parties to the degree necessary in order for the Service to be provided."

I have asked our CEO to look into making it sound more friendly. We have no intention of using your data for anything and hopefully we can clear that up in our ToS with friendlier language. It is currently this way "because lawyers". :)

https://www.symantec.com/connect/app#!/blogs/attackers-use-discord-voip-chat-servers-host-nanocore-njrat-spyrat

I got loads of proof, are you sure you want to use Discord? I'm just protecting people from using it.

Idk about you but your link has no relation to the ToS lol. I don't really know whether you want to prove that discord is unsafe for privacy or that you can get hacked for using it.

There are lots of answers to the ToS in question. If they sell your data, they are actually liable to penalties. From what I know, the program has no keyloggers nor any mechanism capable of holding valuable information unless of course you make that really bad mistake of showing your account details online.
    By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Content with the Service, you grant to us a perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display Your Content in connection with operating and providing the Service.

I believe the above statement is what you feel is a cause of concern. But said content is not inclusive of fundamentally sensitive information such as your name, email and password. If you are releasing said information via this channel, then I guess the problem is yours :/

However, black hat hackers have always been able to work around that. The link you have shown is basically hackers using Discord as a medium. You can do the exact same thing with Teamspeak as well, so I really don't know what's the actual fuss. The actual truth is, a discord server with proper management of permissions has a similar level of security as a Teamspeak server. That is the sole advantage of capitalising on a bigger server rather than one which you own. Also, "free" servers which you thought you are in aren't really free from the publishers themselves, but from third party websites. The owner of the TS server would have paid for the server in some sort (either as a self-hosted server or using a paid/free third party server provider which again is as unsafe as discord by that very logic)

I can see why you don't want a repeat incident from Discord's developers who has had a record for selling data before. But your links are really outdated (The ToS has already been editted 2 months ago to accommodate even more to privacy, read the new ToS if you don't believe me) and your arguments honestly didn't make any sense. And third party applications have already been warned on the very ToS.
  • gibgib ✭✭✭

It's free, so how do they make money? Selling your data! Think about it.

by your logic, all free games / applications make money by selling your data? do you even read what you say?
    First things first, a ToS/ privacy policy is NOT a legally binding document. It's more a set of rules that both the user and the company agree to and it may or may not hold up in court. These things sometimes give the company more rights than they actually use, just in case they choose to at a later time (collecting data, sharing it with partners, etc.). So that in mind, they can't go to jail. It's like signing up for a contact.

So technically they are non-bright freeloaders by acting so innocent.

a quick google search tells you that terms of service are legally binding and do hold up in court
This discussion has been closed.