There will be an extended TERA maintenance on Tuesday July 25, from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Can EME explain why this maint ll be so long?

Comments

• The Operations team has requested a 4-hour maintenance window to do their thing. They don't anticipate it going longer, but we wanted to let everyone know ahead of time so they can plan accordingly.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that server transfers haven't worked properly for the last few months and they're trying to fix it once and for all.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭
    clfarron4 wrote: »
    I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that server transfers haven't worked properly for the last few months and they're trying to fix it once and for all.

the whole server thing feels to me a bit like fixing a Windows PC full of buggy software, bad configurations, some viruses here and there and broken system files: it's easier to just burn that **** to ground and redo it from scratch properly than try to patch over and over stuff.

I'm seriously thinking they should think of new server code instead of trying to fix the old one...
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭
    It's been stated on the thread about the disabling of server transfers until further notice that this maint has nothing to do with that issue
  • CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭
    edited July 25
    I just really appreciate the extra effort to let us know ahead of time.

Edit: removed redundant sentence.
  • ArcherOfEnvyArcherOfEnvy ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the servers run on Linux, if the game servers were to run on Windows, oh boy, Windows needs to restart for Windows Updates! We'd all be getting disconnected on Microsoft's Patch Tuesday
  • I'm guessing the servers run on Linux, if the game servers were to run on Windows, oh boy, Windows needs to restart for Windows Updates! We'd all be getting disconnected on Microsoft's Patch Tuesday

It's apparent you know little of server updates or how to set up even a desktop to prevent that. Server admin set update times and pick which updates to install. If not you would see half the worlds computers going down at random times. Now that would make things truly fun for network engineers like me.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭
    WolfMaster wrote: »
    I'm guessing the servers run on Linux, if the game servers were to run on Windows, oh boy, Windows needs to restart for Windows Updates! We'd all be getting disconnected on Microsoft's Patch Tuesday

It's apparent you know little of server updates or how to set up even a desktop to prevent that. Server admin set update times and pick which updates to install. If not you would see half the worlds computers going down at random times. Now that would make things truly fun for network engineers like me.

I can only imagine stock trading PCs suddenly going "Windows is restarting to install updates" and all the suit guys running amuck screaming with their hands up in the air panicking
  • date for ellin gunner?
  • So, my question is, will we actually get any notes this week to let us know what took 4 hours to fix? On the launcher, the patch notes haven't been updated since June 6th, and on the website the last notes were July 11th. I feel like we went from getting notes almost every week (even if it was a tiny fix) to getting notes whenever eme feels like sharing. Just my opinion.... >_>
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25
    moleka wrote: »
    date for ellin gunner?

Sorry that is Ktera exclusive only, NA won't get.

ps: If only it was true :( lol
  • Ok its almost 12 and it still says unavailable when I try to log in for me. But server shows that the pop is high...so is it me or they still down?
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »
    WolfMaster wrote: »

I can only imagine stock trading PCs suddenly going "Windows is restarting to install updates" and all the suit guys running amuck screaming with their hands up in the air panicking

Don't they all have their hand in the air panicking anyways?

Anyways, Windows 10 home updates regardless because that how Microsoft made it. Any sensible business would be using at least the Pro Edition where updates can be controlled to a degree.
  • Partner wrote: »
    Ok its almost 12 and it still says unavailable when I try to log in for me. But server shows that the pop is high...so is it me or they still down?

It's only 10am PDT. Maintenance is still scheduled for another hour.
  • DesuBeanDesuBean ✭✭✭
    edited July 25
    Yo chill, bring them servers up.
    You playing with my heart, I just learned how to not die on dakuryon pizza slices with 40 ping from Australia.