Comments

• clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't post anything you don't won't others to see.

This is like Internet Posting 101, not just Discord...
    For the record of my thread. I just want people to precaution while using it. Especially bots that spread viruses. Also not everyone has a VPN service. If privacy is a concern for you, then simply don't use it. I do admit that I've heard from people getting viruses from Discord. So be careful on who you invite too.

Discord itself is not the problem when it comes to viruses. it's what people are bolting onto it. But that applies to every other Internet connected service...

• People been asking why I hate it. Well, it's hard to explain every detail about it in global chat. I'm just stating to why I HATE IT so much. Plus what's this app called squirrel.app that it comes with? Simply JUNK! Because I don't want this JUNK on my computer!

Information You Provide: We collect information from you when you voluntarily provide such information, such as when you register for access to the Services or use certain Services. Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images, transient VOIP data (to enable communication delivery only) or other content you send via the chat feature.

Don't believe me?

ve7j20.png

Collecting any voice is too far!

It's the same guy that owns Discord.

https://techcrunch.com/2015/08/27/discord-citron/
    https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/1236-gamers-sue-openfeint-in-class-action-lawsuit/

Compared to Teamspeak. This is it. More secure on your privacy.

https://teamspeak.com/privacy.html
    1. IP address of the users
    2. Used operation system and type (32 or 64 bit)
    3. Data about user behavior (particularly clicks, used menus)
    4. Crash report (program line, incident, basic data of computer hardware used)

I'm not advertising Teamspeak 3 nor do I work for them, I've been on Teamspeak 3 since Perfect World International times with my adopted family/friends of gamers, so to speak of. It's safe and secure to use Teamspeak 3. So if you want to use Discord go ahead and do so. I'm just warning you that your privacy has been compromised! So I simply will never use DISCORD, EVER!

Discord=Just simply disconnect the cord from it. Just don't use it! Get it? Discord.

Then you'll probably want to just completely cut yourself off from any & all internet use, because pretty much everyone is connected to it via cable and have a static IP address, unlike dynamic in the old days of dial-up. Your own ISP can track where & when you connect to websites & other servers. Personally, I think the only people that should have concerns are those who are doing something morally questionable or illegal. I could care less if someone tracks which websites I go to or what programs I have installed on my system. What are they going to do, come out of nowhere and ostracize me for going to a particular news site or shopping at this or that website?
  • kubitoidkubitoid ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    dont install software that you have no trust in to avoid such kind of drama. simple as dead penguin. peace
  • Then you'll probably want to just completely cut yourself off from any & all internet use, because pretty much everyone is connected to it via cable and have a static IP address, unlike dynamic in the old days of dial-up. Your own ISP can track where & when you connect to websites & other servers. Personally, I think the only people that should have concerns are those who are doing something morally questionable or illegal. I could care less if someone tracks which websites I go to or what programs I have installed on my system. What are they going to do, come out of nowhere and ostracize me for going to a particular news site or shopping at this or that website?

Discord is TRASH TO ME! I have my own opinions about it. Use Discord all you want or not at all if you don't like the invasion of privacy. Your ignorance is foolish about precautions. If you don't care about who tracks you or which websites you go to, you're one step to theft on yourself. The fact of the matter is that you should care! Don't post something that is personal on Discord!

I don't use Discord and have no need to do so. I would be more concerned about potential threats from other Discord users than I would from the program itself.
    Why would I care about my website visits being tracked? What are they going to steal from me? I don't use any kind of online banking, and any transactions I make that are monetary and/or require personal information are done so via encryption. I use reliable and up-to-date antivirus software, a firewall, and software that protects the system from configuration drift & unwanted MBR changes. I use a simple, but effective email system from my ISP that provides additional layers of security in regards to email threats. This is BASIC protection! The level of sophistication required to get through that just to steal my information, money, etc., isn't something you're going to encounter unless you're a complete idiot, or as I said before, doing something illegal and/or morally questionable.

I've read through everything in the privacy statement. You don't have to link your social media to Discord. When you do link them, that is when Discord gathers the data, so the simple solution is to not link them. Seriously, the only individuals that would have a problem with it are schizoids or criminals. For now, you can start by taking off your tin-foil hat and asking yourself the question, "Why would anyone bother singling me out and going through the hassle of sifting through my tracking history and/or social media exchanges and somehow use it against me? Why?"
  • oh look it's literally any permission that any voip program out there needs to function. nothing new here
  • Honestly somebody has something on you from the day you're born, teamspeak is trash and discord is better. They wanna sell my link to a Facebook or scocial media? Well all they gonna get linked to are old cat memes and my fat [filtered]. The point is unless you go around joining shady servers or shoving your credit card info into every chat there's only so much they can take, most of the threat comes from other users not the company.
  • Hi,

I'm a IT Security Analyst by trade, and I dropped my VPN connection just so that I could sign into this forum because I also wanted to chip in my 2 pence. I'm not questioning anyone's opinion, but I am providing more information for both sides to consider.

Regarding venture capitalists, etc, I'd like to point out that I used to pay the subscription to use Whatsapp until they were bought out. Now it's free.

I find static IPs to be better than dynamic for a number of work/personal reasons, first and foremost is convenience over obfuscation. Depending on the risk appetite of online services, they can enforce a number of different controls, some of which would annoy me, e.g. CAPTCHA every time I want to sign into a service because I have a new unauthenticated address. en masse Account Armour, Steam Guard, are both good examples of this.

Re: VPNs, this encrypts your data end to end but if you need to authenticate to a service, your activity logs and privacy are at the same level.

Some web services offer SSO functionality by using your social media accounts to authenticate you, e.g. The Book of Faces, Google+ (RIP). Basic information is passed in order to build your account, there are no in-depth concerns about granting access. There are more wider spread concerns around the use of OAuth2.0, not privacy.

"As a bonus, all of the javascript from the discordapp website is run as Nodejs in electron. This essentially elevates any small xss vuln into a full blown remote access problem. I'm still looking into this. Since someone mention it somewhere, but did not really explain further into it."
    Yes, you should look further into this. This does not essentially elevate any small XSS vuln into a full remote access, remote code execute, memory buffer overflow, etc.... Bad coding does. just like any other run-time environment, it is forever vulnerable to exploits, but where discovered, they seek to plug any holes just as any other engine. Probably the worst offenders are Flash and Oracle Java, yet these are still very popular.

As with any service you wish to use, it is important to consider the benefit of the service, convenience, and your risk appetite. Personally I feel that I have sufficient control and security over my gaming PC that I am not concerned about the security or privacy statement for Discord, since I know others are weaker, I can argue that's a low appetite for risk, but also an acceptable risk. This is my personal position on security/risk/privacy.

Food for thought: There is a changing perception within cyber security/intelligence circles, that if you are using a VPN, ToR, SSL/SSH tunneling, what are you trying to hide?
  • First and foremost I have no need to use Discord and never have nor do I have any use for TeamSpeak either. Your posting sounds like you are trying to force your views down everyone's throat, that being said, your privacy went out the window when you hooked up to the Internet. Doing research on an application and using common sense tend to go a long ways. This whole discussion sounds to me like someone up on their pulpit giving a fire and brimstone sermon.
  • BattlePopoBattlePopo ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Lot of paranoia. Unless people are directly affected or threatened, most don't care about privacy, unless you have something to hide. What is there to be afraid of? If you want absolute privacy, throw away all technology and go live in the wilderness off-grid as a hermit, tell no one.
  • Read all of this and still will be using Discord tonight. :p
This discussion has been closed.