No Name Selling/Trading Allowed

Comments

• CallaCalla ✭✭✭
    Spacecats wrote:
    Because this is a policy that hasn't been expressly stated or enforced in the past, no warnings will be issued to people that have posted name selling threads in the past. That said, any name selling/trading posts after this point will be considered a violation of the forum rules and WILL result in moderation. Please don't post them. This has been added to the Forum Rules & Guidelines.

Why the change:

Name selling is, in general, a shady business that we don't encourage. Making a character with the sole intention of holding on to the name for later sale is frowned upon. It's very difficult to regulate. It constitutes player agreements that aren't enforced by the mechanics of TERA like a typical item trade. They're prone to scam, which not only means a terrible experience for honest players, but leads to time-sinks for Customer Support team, often resulting in situations where their hands are tied and said honest players are completely out of luck.

I think this is a seriously important thing to elaborate on.

As another has stated, the original "Name trade threads" were started by the Tera GMs. The fact that you word this as though it's been an unspoken rule for a long time that it's not allowed, is quite frankly BS. Either way.

If this has suddenly somehow magically become a rule outside of the forums, players deserve to know this as well. Many don't read the forums often, and wouldn't know any better than the old threads started by Tonka condoning name trading. To start taking action against players who are unaware of this, outside of the forums, over something that was not even slightly implied that it wasn't acceptable behavior (again, the threads were started by Tera staff, there is NO REASON that players would know in-game without stalking the forums that this has become against the rules), is slimy and will upset a fair amount of people.

If you, the Tera staff, choose to make this a new rule outside of the forums, please post something clearer for people to see so that action is not taken against players who were unaware that something that was previously condoned is suddenly going to get them suspended/banned.
  • VyolVyol ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @Astilia

Yeah, to each their own. I personally wouldn't give a greedy b*stard like that any bronze. In the End it's just a name, and 1m, da*n, you could buy a lot of stuff with that much gold, but as you said, it's just an opinion thingie.
    For me it's [filtered]*y (idk how much the person wants for the name echo but fu** it ain't gonna give them a cent either) because it's this "who comes first, takes first" and that's the most unsocial, greedy and capitalistic mindset to have.
  • CallaCalla ✭✭✭
    @Astilia

Yeah, to each their own. I personally wouldn't give a greedy b*stard like that any bronze. In the End it's just a name, and 1m, da*n, you could buy a lot of stuff with that much gold, but as you said, it's just an opinion thingie.
    For me it's [filtered] (idk how much the person wants for the name echo but fu** it ain't gonna give them a cent either) because it's this "who comes first, takes first" and that's the most unsocial, greedy and capitalistic mindset to have.
    While I agree that 1 mil is definitely over the top for selling a name, I don't think all people selling names are just sitting on mounds of lv1 toons with names, never to be heard from again.

I saved a fair number of names, most with the intent to use or ones that I'm currently using, but if someone wants them more than me, even the names on my main chars, I don't have a problem with getting a new name in exchange for some gold. I don't think that means I shouldn't be allowed to keep the names I have any more than anyone else, just because someone else wouldn't be willing to part with it as easily as I would.
  • VyolVyol ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but that's a different thing than from what I experienced from most name sellers, who really do just have a toons sitting around, holding the name back and trying to sell it to make money out of it, which is a [filtered]*y, greedy thing for me.

If you got character you play, and someone wants to give you, let's say, 200k for the name, then, ofc, it's a different thing, because they asked you to give you the name and it's not just a lvl 1 character sitting around and becoming a moneywh*re and then be deleted once the name is sold.
    A few names I want (I checked) are really just lvl 1 characters, which is, tbh, really sad.
  • CallaCalla ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but that's a different thing than from what I experienced from most name sellers, who really do just have a toons sitting around, holding the name back and trying to sell it to make money out of it, which is a [filtered]*y, greedy thing for me.

If you got character you play, and someone wants to give you, let's say, 200k for the name, then, ofc, it's a different thing, because they asked you to give you the name and it's not just a lvl 1 character sitting around and becoming a moneywh*re and then be deleted once the name is sold.
    A few names I want (I checked) are really just lvl 1 characters, which is, tbh, really sad.
    It could be names that someone has saved for later, though. I saved myself some names for future classes, such as Mist which I was planning to use for Ninja.

But I know how you feel, there were two names I wanted for the longest time, tried to get with the last name release, were taken before I could get them, and haven't even been logged into once since the name was taken. (You can tell because there will be no location for the character if it hasn't even been logged into).
  • VyolVyol ✭✭✭
    Yeah but I don't think that one person saves 6 names for one Ninja lol

• CallaCalla ✭✭✭
    Yeah but I don't think that one person saves 6 names for one Ninja lol

Probably not but it's not unreasonable to save them for future classes that they might want to play. I think we're getting off-topic a little, now, though.
  • There should be another name release then...
  • FuuaFuua ✭✭
    I agree!
    Another name release indeed.
    They should not announce it until after-wards.
    But release the names that have not logged in starting maybe a week *After* the new names got released? n.n
    I know it's possible to code something kind of like a search engine to look for anything LVL 40 and under.
    So I don't think it's impossible...
    Sadly I was reduced to trying to buy a name- the person asked me to offer for it- I've not heard back from them in 6months....
    So yea..give people that *want* to play a name EME! >o< wah..
  • VyolVyol ✭✭✭
    Ohgod, please don't write in center again x_x

I think lvl 40 would be a bit high for a name release, lvl 20, if possible, would be better, because 40 is hard to achieve for some people (back then that took me loooong because of my job) bbut 20 is done in .. a very short time
  • AishyAishy ✭✭
    I completely agree with this!
    It's ridiculous how much are people charging for a nickname... or even get scammed!

We should make those people pay for holding onto a name just to sell it because that's too low and disgraceful!
    A name clean-up is a great idea and rename every low level character below 60 with the slightest assumption that the player is holding a nickname on it!
    And make a new rule of violation in selling nicknames!

I know a lot of people (including myself) who can't fully enjoy the game without having a decent nickname...
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    I haven't been this pleased with an announcement since--- while I don't even know when. There was always something that made me absolutely loathe these threads even though I had enjoyable names.
  • Ghost915Ghost915 ✭✭✭
    Uh...wasn't this allowed like for a while? Why ban it now? -_-
  • edited May 2016
    is there any other site people are trading them on yet??
    (also support for another name release but i think the under level 20 wipe idea would make people Really Mad, and also probably just save their names again anyway)
  • AcendiaAcendia ✭✭✭
    Went to look at everyones post history, only the people with history selling names have beef of any kind with this~ Though I guess it was obvious, I still had to check.