Returning Player

Originally played since closed beta,

I haven't played in about 2 and half years last time I played was after reaper was released and my character still had Tensus tier 7 pvp gear. (~2014 ish)

Some of my characters still have visionmaker..lol

Coming back does anyone have any tips or things I should focus on? I noticed I'm 5 tiers behind the endgame now. Is it worth coming back? I was mostly a pvp player. Probably just better off restarting an entire character from scratch?

Thanks for the info!

Comments

• aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    You can always jump back to the low-mid-high tier grind. Even if you are 5 tiers behind, getting Guile is easy enough.

No real reason to restart an entire character from scratch especially if you have innerwear and brooch already. You can always upgrade from there, with jewellery from dungeons, and if you don't have much gold, mats for the latest endgame being almost completely from PvE sadly.

Note that there are no longer any un-eq battlegrounds (outside from Team Skyring), so the only real place to use pvp-rolled gear is in Civil Unrest.
  • AnotsuAnotsu ✭✭✭
    I think you can get a returning player box or something which contains Idoneal. with Idoneal you can move on and do dungeons to get Guile, what drops and where should be displayed when pressing the instance matching button, also you can do Echo of Aranea(It's a solo dungeon, look for it in Highwatch, you'll also have a quest for it) for gloves/boots for your class and some mats for enchanting. Check out the level 65 quests in Highwatch they'll give you enough mats to enchant your Guile to +12 completely. From there I think you'll be set, all you'll have to do is grind a bit and get +12 Misery, the new tier 11 gear.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭
    you may also be eligible for the buddy up system for more boxed equipment to help restart

the other thing that may have changed in the time you've been away is the server merge pending what server you were on you may now be on another
  • Alright, thank you all for the replies!
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    IRavenI wrote: »
    Originally played since closed beta,

I haven't played in about 2 and half years last time I played was after reaper was released and my character still had Tensus tier 7 pvp gear. (~2014 ish)

Some of my characters still have visionmaker..lol

Coming back does anyone have any tips or things I should focus on? I noticed I'm 5 tiers behind the endgame now. Is it worth coming back? I was mostly a pvp player. Probably just better off restarting an entire character from scratch?

Thanks for the info!

You can do almost any content with Guile +12 and demense accesories, that will take you less than a week to farm and even you can get it in the same day doing the solo misions.

If you are skilled Guile +12 will allow you to save maths for higher tier gear or for next revamp on gear progression.
  • Looks like you're already getting good advice here. I just wanted to pop in and say welcome back! ;D
  • AngelineAngeline ✭✭✭
    PVP is all but dead, so don't come back for that.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angeline wrote: »

And it gets worse if people discourage new players and returnees from joining the game.
  • gibgib ✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

And it gets worse if people discourage new players and returnees from joining the game.

better to crush people's hopes early than lead them on
  • Naru2008Naru2008 ✭✭✭
    gib wrote: »

And kill the game further?
  • Naru2008 wrote: »

Yes, and maybe if they see their game REALLY dying...they might make a real effort to fix it and bring it to life.
  • gibgib ✭✭✭
    Naru2008 wrote: »

lol... the pvp's been dead for years. you can't kill what's already dead
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23
    He's gonna log in and figure out the state of pvp for himself anyway, so strategically omitting that information -- even though the thread starter expressed an interest in pvp -- isn't really doing him a favor.

When it comes to pvp, admittedly I don't do it much so I can't give a firsthand perspective. You might want to check out the pvp section of these forums. However, I knew friends and guildmates who played the game exclusively for pvp, so I'll try to give you an idea of how things were from their perspectives before they all quit, since others in this thread have either refused to discuss this topic at all so that you would return to the game, or have declared that it's dead but haven't elaborated on why they feel that way. The way I see it, there are three areas one would go if interested in fighting other players: battlegrounds, civil unrest, and the open world. So I'll go into how those three areas have fared from the perspective of players I used to know who were very interested in these areas of the game. If I'm off about anything here, then please, someone more versed in this subject feel free to correct me.

Where battlegrounds are concerned -- These old friends of mine who've quit, they would log in, start a cross-server queue for one of the game's pvp battlegrounds, and then sit around for ages begging strangers to "pls q fwc" so the thing would pop. It never seemed to, unless there was some kind of event happening to incentivize pvp from a particular battleground. Since players are only allowed to queue for one of these at a time, it's very safe to say that you're not going to have much luck queuing BGs unless the BG you're interested in happens to be a featured "power hour" BG. To top it off, the majority of battlegrounds force equalized gear on you, which wouldn't be bad if not for the god-awful rolls that make attack speed classes feel like garbage compared to how they could feel with proper gear. TL;DR battlegrounds take a while to pop, if they do at all. When you're in you don't even get to use the gear you farmed for. Most players queue for the power hour battleground and that one usually pops.

Civil Unrest is a pvp event that occurs on weekends and lets you use your own gear, but on my server at least I've always gotten the impression that unless I was already in a top guild, there was no point even trying to get a piece of that action. Every weekend the same guild comes out on top, and they basically go unchallenged so I don't even bother participating. Things might be different on a server that focuses more on PvP and has a bigger population, but they have their own set of problems -- like valks one shotting players and singlehandedly destroying rival towers in a matter of seconds. This entire post isn't going to be a negative one; maybe you'd like Civil Unrest if you got into one of those guilds that does it religiously or something, but I can't say for sure. On my server, those guilds aren't taking applicants at all. Maybe on MT it's different.

Open world pvp is deader than ever, spurred on by some developer's decision to remove pre-65 open world pvp to discourage lowbie ganking. It was already dead before that change, but at least back then you would hear about weird shenanigans like people blocking the bridge out of Lumbertown, or priests partying folks and summoning them to a campfire (campfires were deleted from the game btw) where the rest of their party waited to demolish them. I don't really think that kind of stuff is nice, which is why I play on a pve server, but people who chose a pvp server obviously find that sort of thing enjoyable so it seems strange that they would remove pre-65 open world pvp. But, they did! So there we are. You can still at least duel people, but those (and all pvp really) are plagued with lag and desync and general instability.

For all of these reasons, everyone I know who enjoyed this game for its PvP aspects has left. They didn't leave for MT, either. They just straight up quit the game. I don't know anyone else who plays this game for the pvp anymore. No one at all. With that being said, I do still believe the game's combat is redeeming enough to make it possibly worth all the downsides, so I'd encourage you to log in on your old character, stop by the velika outskirts, and challenge someone to a duel or something. Maybe ask them to handicap themselves so your gear won't be an issue. See how the game feels to you. If it still feels fun and the combat still feels good and worth slogging through all the negative aspects, then go for it and maybe join a nice pvp guild and see where it takes you. Despite all the stuff I've said, some people still stick around for the pvp somewhere, so I guess someone's enjoying it. Maybe that'll be the case for you too.

inb4 more "stop telling the truth!" like it's a bad thing. Tera's not a perfect game. I'm willing to acknowledge that the combat in tera is superb, but it is not without its downsides. This game takes hours to install and try out, please stop purposefully misleading people via omission only for them to waste time reinstalling, realize they were misled, and uninstall moments later. Thanks.
  • kubitoidkubitoid ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23
    i upvote all voidy's posts. i believe i earned a cookie. small one

on topic - why have you returned after 2 years away?????
  • kubitoidkubitoid ✭✭✭✭
    voidy wrote: »
    but people who chose a pvp server obviously find that sort of thing enjoyable so it seems strange that they would remove pre-65 open world pvp.
    just a small note. they removed pre65 pvp because too many ppl have been misled with 'recommended' on server select screen so obviously they complained a lot. shouldve been proper info about pvp servers from very start, aka 'warning: open world pvp lvl12+, PK enabled outside safe areas' etc in red letters under server name so hesitating person is frightened and goes to pve sevrer and avid pvper is aknowledged bout this and goes pvp server anyway