08/24/17 Server Maintenance and Security Update

During today's maintenance, we deployed an update to TERA that is intended to address the recent exploits and hacks that have been abused by some players to circumvent intended design and negatively impact the gameplay experience of other players. As a side-effect however, the update will also render many other third-party tools/mods unusable.

Given the recent surge in malicious use of third-party tools, we feel that deploy of this fix is necessary in order to preserve the integrity of the game and is in the best interest of the larger TERA community. We recognize that some add-ons/mods enhance players’ experience with the game, so this is not a decision we made lightly.

Our goal is to prevent the use of software that can damage the health of the game by giving players an unfair advantage or creating an uneven playing field. We’ll continue to evaluate the use of third-party programs/mods on a case-by-case basis, using player reports and the way players use these tools as a guide. Given the severity of recent exploits, it’s more important than ever for honest players to report to us when they witness damaging or suspicious behaviors in-game. The more information we get from players, the better we’re able to relay that information to the developers at Bluehole so they can explore new methods for preventing further abuse.

The TERA Team at En Masse

Comments

• LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for it, hope it stays strong. and honest part of community gonna enjoy this and users of those are welcomed to join me to do easy solo stuff.
  • PixelatorPixelator ✭✭✭✭
    Weren't ALL 3rd party software/modifications prohibited as per this post?

If not, it would be nice to get a clarification.
  • TankyHealerTankyHealer ✭✭✭
    edited August 24
    My heart goes out to every archer gunner ninja and lancer out there :'(

Also heard bluehole making their dps meter now, it better be as useful as the one we have right now, as in the skill breakdowns and whatnot.
  • LessThanNoneLessThanNone ✭✭✭
    edited August 24
    It's good to see EME taking this seriously and working with BHS for a quick solution once it was obvious that this 3rd party software was negatively affecting the game. I must also give you kudos for the much more reasonable stance of treating third party programs/mods in a case by case basis.
  • kubitoidkubitoid ✭✭✭✭
    @Halrath, will spambots be dealt with too?
  • kubitoid wrote: »
    @Halrath, will spambots be dealt with too?

My personal nemeses, the spam bots, will soon rue their days...but it isn't part of this maintenance.
  • I'm a cheater, Memeslash/Banslash podem confiar all day.
    But now is a good time to address some issues some NA players have.

Skills or chain skills that act weird and wrong with latency, such as rapid fire, fire avalanche, or chain skills of shield barrage and sprint attack for lancers.

Official dps meter, was discussed and it seems BHS making one, hopefully they push it.

More viable options for people to tweak the video and also UI setting for more FPS and smoother runs, AKA starting to optimize Tera from smart particles, then might start with bigger ones.

So please put these as a feedback of these changes and discuss it with BHS, cause that effects players that are stuck with insufficiency of design about those matters.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭
    @Halrath Could I make suggestions on how changes could be made to the game so that some people do not feel that they have to use certain third party programs?

Actually, I will make my suggestion anyways, a suggestion I made back in May when things blew up over these.
    clfarron4 wrote: »
    @Spacecats, for certain of the 3rd party programs, I've explained the major cause on reddit as follows:
    Take skills like Rapid Fire, Burning Heart, Shield Barrage, Rising Furing and Burst Fire. - The majority of these are core DPS skills. - These all work through manual chain activation to themselves. That means ping is applied to each activation of the chain.

Taking Rapid Fire as an example, you can observe that some sub-40ms players can get all 7 hits off in less than about 0.8 seconds, where player with more than 100ms ping (which is the case for quite a few NA and CA players) would be lucky to get all 7 hits off in less than 2 seconds.

You might argue that the skill does the same damage. Yes, the skill does the same damage. What is different is that the lower ping player does that same damage in a significantly smaller amount of time than the higher ping player.

Modify the way the skills work so they don't chain themselves, but instead into another skill, in a similar way that Traverse Cut for Warrior works. Why do I suggest this? Well Traverse Cut is multi-hit like the others, but all 13 hits just run by themselves at the same speed regardless of ping and you can chain out after the third hit into Blade Draw or iframe out if you accidentally used it when Blade Draw is not going to come off cooldown fast enough.

Is there a disadvantage to doing the second option? Of course, because it won't be a quick fix and at skills from at least 5 of the different classes have to be modified to accommodate for the change,

However, in doing this, I believe you would lower the need for quite a few players feeling the need to use a third party program as suggested in the first solution.
  • Unfortunately the proxy skil predict helps many players with ms greater than 100 plus many use to play the game but the game TERA was not made to play with more than 100ms so I believe that more than 40% of the community will stop playing
  • AnotsuAnotsu ✭✭✭
    LesbianVi wrote: »
    Thank you so much for it, hope it stays strong. and honest part of community gonna enjoy this and users of those are welcomed to join me to do easy solo stuff.

how the hell do i join someone to do solo things?
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭
    N3PF5NGPD6 wrote: »
    Halrath wrote: »
    giving players an unfair advantage or creating an uneven playing field.

Maybe you should start banning low ping players then??? because low ping player get unfair advantage over high ping player and create 'uneven playing field' :thonking:

I hope they just meant memeslashers with this
  • SalvatoriSalvatori ✭✭✭
    What about those ppl who took advantage of exploit in the past few weeks and farmed HH, got full oblit and brooch without any effort? Are u guys going to track them or they will keep playing with things that they don't really won.

I mean, i know at least a dozen who went full oblit + brooch in the last couple weeks using memeslash. But I can't report them because they're carefull and I couldn't took prints.

Btw, i have nicks if u guys want to check their logs and see that they was cheating.
  • If you put the best set of the game and you have the best training of the game in pvp or pve will always be killed by a player with low with set lower than yours or pve always go without an anchor that for me and unequal
    Anotsu wrote: »
    LesbianVi wrote: »

how the hell do i join someone to do solo things?

I left you bams and mobs, cause you will have hard time w/o using stuff.
This discussion has been closed.