[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

08/24/17 Server Maintenance and Security Update

Comments

• gibgib ✭✭✭
    Margarethe wrote: »
    The security update seems to have fixed the use of a few third party programs.
    Still, memeslash is available, which was/is the main issue.
    Mockery, should all start using memeslash?
    Dps and ping would not matter then.
    *Chuckle*

most of the important modules are up and working one day after the "security update."

all the modules will be working in no time at all. all the update did was obscure packet names so the opcodes have to be manually mapped. it's a major inconvenience at best to the proxy devs but it did nothing to stop memeslash as it's only 2 packet exploit.

but yeah maybe if we all memeslash then eme and bhs finally have to fix their terrible coding /s
  • StarkhoeStarkhoe ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Vindicting wrote: »
    @Starkhoe
    The problem I think is that you're not very knowledgeable about what had actually happened (given you don't know Noesis - the old Product Manager who got fired over the fiasco). What you're saying is basically all just speculation, we don't need speculations at this point because the facts had been in a long time ago... so there's not much to discuss.

I'm just angry that everything EME had done so far shows either gross negligence/stupidity or an actual contempt for the community. I want this game to get better, the proxy devs made it happen and so EME banned them.

As a costumer I do not need to be knowledgeable, I need a functioning product, and many of the things I said were not just mere speculation. Like proxies are still being used, so there's that. I get it though. Its a long read, so oversights are understandable. Not to mention, not being able to use links (its against the rules) to prove any points. Thats kind of a drag. Don`t worry you don`t have to reply to this.

I understand that you're upset. You have a right to be as a costumer, and I think that you're generally in the right. But I also think you should keep an open mind. You said facts, well, its a fact that EME/BHS can ban people of they're choosing, yeah. Its they're product. But we both know that until all aspects of the game are properly optimized, EME and BHS cannot win the fight against software. For one, if they found a way to prevent people from using all types of third party software (meters & harmless modules included), they will wipe out they're largest playerbase. Meaning, not only can they not afford to do that, they are involuntarily relying on it to keep players in the game. Quite a predicament. Second, I think they do not legally own the software which creates the proxies and modules themselves. Thats outside they're jurisdiction (open source included). Meaning, that proxy devs and coders/scripters (whatever), will keep popping up again and again, and keep fighting for improving the game.

In other words: there will continue to be injustices on both sides, but BHS/EME will never be free from this cycle, until they provide an official solution to the pressing matters, along with all around long needed optimizations. But as a costumer, the means and costs are not my concern. So you see, its not just entirely a matter of optimism and wishful thinking, I think its also a matter of time. For companies, the costumer always has to win. Because if they lose for good, its gameover.
  • gibgib ✭✭✭
    Starkhoe wrote: »
    @Starkhoe
    The problem I think is that you're not very knowledgeable about what had actually happened (given you don't know Noesis - the old Product Manager who got fired over the fiasco). What you're saying is basically all just speculation, we don't need speculations at this point because the facts had been in a long time ago... so there's not much to discuss.

I'm just angry that everything EME had done so far shows either gross negligence/stupidity or an actual contempt for the community. I want this game to get better, the proxy devs made it happen and so EME banned them.

As a costumer I do not need to be knowledgeable, I need a functioning product, and many of the things I said were not just mere speculation. Like proxies are still being used, so there's that. I get it though. Its a long read, so oversights are understandable. Not to mention, not being able to use links (its against the rules) to prove any points. Thats kind of a drag. Don`t worry you don`t have to reply to this.

well to be quite fair, your "functioning product" is more akin to a prototype than the real deal. tera right now is barely functional if you play vanilla.
    I understand that you're upset. You have a right to be as a costumer, and I think that you're generally in the right. But I also think you should keep an open mind. But we both know that until all aspects of the game are properly optimized, EME and BHS cannot win the fight against software. For one, if they found a way to prevent people from using all types of third party software (meters & harmless modules included), they will wipe out they're largest playerbase. Meaning, not only can they not afford to do that, they are involuntarily relying on it to keep players in the game. Quite a predicament. Second, I think they do not legally own the software which creates the proxies and modules themselves. Thats outside they're jurisdiction (open source included). Meaning, that proxy devs and coders/scripters (whatever), will keep popping up again and again, and keep fighting for improving the game.

well said. which is why we don't understand why eme and bhs are refusing to cooperate and are ignoring us at every turn. we all know that eme and bhs cant stand to lose the fraction of the playerbase (i'd almost confidently say about 30-50% of active players) because of this.

so why are they still refusing to cooperate and implement it in their game? it's not hard. it wouldn't take long.

well i'll tell you why. their ego is too big. they don't want to admit that the problems that have been plaguing their game for years have been fixed by mere players. they won't admit defeat. they'd rather kill their game than have our help. and it sucks. but that's the way that it's been for years and that's the way it will be for as long as this game is around for.
    In other words: there will continue to be injustices on both sides, but BHS/EME will never be free from this cycle, until they provide an official solution to the pressing matters, along with all around long needed optimizations. But as a costumer, the means and costs are not my concern. So you see, its not just entirely a matter of optimism and wishful thinking, I think its also a matter of time. For companies, the costumer always has to win. Because if they lose for good, its gameover.

i think you're free to choose what to concern yourself with, which by all means go ahead, but we've all thought that it was "a matter of time" before eme and bhs fixed their problems and guess where that's landed us. right back at the start. it's a vicious cycle and it won't stop until the game is truly gone.

they'd rather lose us for good than accept our help. in a sense, it is game over already.
  • :) i like cakes!
  • edited August 2017
    HanzoMain wrote: »

maybe try again ? idk.

WTF???????????
    TERA is dying??
  • StarkhoeStarkhoe ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    gib wrote: »
    well to be quite fair, your "functioning product" is more akin to a prototype than the real deal. tera right now is barely functional if you play vanilla.

Tell me about it. Both my ping and FPS are deplorable, and I know for a fact that it has nothing to do with my rig or internet. I play other games too, heavier ones (spec wise), and they all work just fine, even in NA regions. Tera is the only game I play which is so poorly optimized to such an extent that it bothers me. I also play oldschool DOS games, some of which have pixels as big as thumbs. So how a game looks, doesn't bother me, as much as how it functions. So.. yeah.
    well said. which is why we don't understand why eme and bhs are refusing to cooperate and are ignoring us at every turn. we all know that eme and bhs cant stand to lose the fraction of the playerbase (i'd almost confidently say about 30-50% of active players) because of this. so why are they still refusing to cooperate and implement it in their game? it's not hard. it wouldn't take long.

well i'll tell you why. their ego is too big. they don't want to admit that the problems that have been plaguing their game for years have been fixed by mere players. they won't admit defeat. they'd rather kill their game than have our help. and it sucks. but that's the way that it's been for years and that's the way it will be for as long as this game is around for.

I don`t know about the technicalities, though there has to be more to this then just ego, right? I mean, ego doesn't empty wallets. It can`t be that simple. No game is perfect, but to think that a company would act as if they were a pouty child refusing to go to the dentist, in a game which is obviously experiencing a decline in playerbase. Id like to think that there has to be more to this, some kind of miscommunication or legal issues standing in the way. Maybe things EME/BHS can`t share with us for they're own sake. We don`t know, and will probably never be told the entire story.

All that I know is, that player improvements will continue, until people get official ones. And if you think about it, since the game is at the point where one can no longer exist without the other, is that not also a form of admitting defeat? if you were bound legally to act a cretin way like EME, you might have done the same. Maybe many of them are rooting in the shadows and doing what they can behind the scenes, while accepting that they will take the heat for things which are beyond they're control. Id like to think that nobody is dumb enough to wave a while flag, while everyone is still shooting at them.
    i think you're free to choose what to concern yourself with, which by all means go ahead, but we've all thought that it was "a matter of time" before eme and bhs fixed their problems and guess where that's landed us. right back at the start. it's a vicious cycle and it won't stop until the game is truly gone.

they'd rather lose us for good than accept our help. in a sense, it is game over already.

I concern myself with other games as well, as any displeased costumer should do. This is not the only game in the world. If Tera died today it would be unfortunate, but life goes on. I take into account that maybe everyone's struggles and efforts, would have been entirely in vain, and that eventually BHS will bury Tera and blame it on the community. That would be a [filtered] move but its a very real possibility, and I am not dismissing that at all. But since i`m still here, since you're still here too, the alternative solutions are still here, then I think that being optimistic is the only real option left. If you have a better suggestion, then by all means.
  • Halrath wrote: »
    During today's maintenance, we deployed an update to TERA that is intended to address the recent exploits and hacks that have been abused by some players to circumvent intended design and negatively impact the gameplay experience of other players. As a side-effect however, the update will also render many other third-party tools/mods unusable.

Given the recent surge in malicious use of third-party tools, we feel that deploy of this fix is necessary in order to preserve the integrity of the game and is in the best interest of the larger TERA community. We recognize that some add-ons/mods enhance players’ experience with the game, so this is not a decision we made lightly.

Our goal is to prevent the use of software that can damage the health of the game by giving players an unfair advantage or creating an uneven playing field. We’ll continue to evaluate the use of third-party programs/mods on a case-by-case basis, using player reports and the way players use these tools as a guide. Given the severity of recent exploits, it’s more important than ever for honest players to report to us when they witness damaging or suspicious behaviors in-game. The more information we get from players, the better we’re able to relay that information to the developers at Bluehole so they can explore new methods for preventing further abuse.

The TERA Team at En Masse

----
    Guys since the maintenance i cant log in on the acc. Whenever i press the Play, nothing happens. what to do about this?
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    5LGL5T9J9A wrote: »
    Halrath wrote: »
    During today's maintenance, we deployed an update to TERA that is intended to address the recent exploits and hacks that have been abused by some players to circumvent intended design and negatively impact the gameplay experience of other players. As a side-effect however, the update will also render many other third-party tools/mods unusable.

Given the recent surge in malicious use of third-party tools, we feel that deploy of this fix is necessary in order to preserve the integrity of the game and is in the best interest of the larger TERA community. We recognize that some add-ons/mods enhance players’ experience with the game, so this is not a decision we made lightly.

Our goal is to prevent the use of software that can damage the health of the game by giving players an unfair advantage or creating an uneven playing field. We’ll continue to evaluate the use of third-party programs/mods on a case-by-case basis, using player reports and the way players use these tools as a guide. Given the severity of recent exploits, it’s more important than ever for honest players to report to us when they witness damaging or suspicious behaviors in-game. The more information we get from players, the better we’re able to relay that information to the developers at Bluehole so they can explore new methods for preventing further abuse.

----
    Guys since the maintenance i cant log in on the acc. Whenever i press the Play, nothing happens. what to do about this?

just asking but have you closed the launcher and reopened it so it patches
    once in a while ill leave the launcher open dur in maint and when I go and click play it wont do anything till I close and run the update patch
  • Halrath wrote: »
    The more information we get from players, the better we’re able to relay that information to the developers at Bluehole so they can explore new methods for preventing further abuse

Wait, some exploits are here since before TERA went F2P and they still not fixed with this update, wtf is BHS exploring? A new country?
  • tisnotme wrote: »

----

once in a while ill leave the launcher open dur in maint and when I go and click play it wont do anything till I close and run the update patch

Nothing sir. I didn't do anything. I reopen the launcher then get the update, but still nothing happens when i click Play.
  • Naru2008Naru2008 ✭✭✭✭
    tisnotme wrote: »

----

Nothing sir. I didn't do anything. I reopen the launcher then get the update, but still nothing happens when i click Play.

Have you run the game repair? I highly recommend that you do, under the Tools section of the Launcher.
  • LesbianVi wrote: »
    LesbianVi wrote: »
    yes. the "security" update that came out was nothing more than the removal of packet names. so opcodes have to be manually mapped. this is a major inconvenience for modules like skill prediction, seeing how they use so many packets, but it's still incredibly easy to make oneshot work. it literally takes 2 packets to abuse.
    I saw Pinkie and Bern talk about heuristics and decompiler so hopefully that's just temporary. It would suck to see skill prediction break or become harder to maintain putting more strain on kind players who help others but do nothing against exploits. I already saw someone memeslashing again today.

yes, pinki has already sort of come up with an automated process for mapping the packets. skill prediction is pretty much working in NA and EU, but any update is just more work to map the packets again.

Skill prediction and of coarse enrage announcement are fine by you people? Changing the nature of the game? making it a like a Tab-target and skill prediction that even works for pvp?

I am not uninformed, it was proven.

you are most definitely uninformed.

the real nature of the game is proven by looking at ktera. no one in ktera has high ping or even 30+ ping. and then you look at na tera and people have from like 5-300 ping. and you think that's okay? skill prediction is not a bad thing. it just makes it so you can play the game as it was meant to be played.

you are idiotic. please stop talking before you research the topic.

LOL, skill prediction is OK? You understand what comes to you and you iframe it sooner in PVP it is OK? You wanna act the same way with 300 ping with someone with 100 ping and I am idiotic?

Grow up.

Grow up would you? You have no idea what Skill Prediction is, its not predicting what other people will use on their skill. Its meant to ensure that chains work without ping tax (Aka that irritating Debilitate - Spring Attack, or Reaper's Shadow Burst or Valkyrie's Shining Crescent). Even in PVP context, it only benefits in ensuring that higher ping players get to play with less ping tax, and thus more skill. You must get pwned that is why you are complaining so much. Git gud.
  • Im happy to hear Proxy stop working, and now some players cry and say, we don`t wanna play again without proxy.. Someone say, why to not ban ppl from chicago because they have low ping, guys, they have low ping becasue they are closer to server like us, 1 ppl from eu(like me), can`t have ping 30 on NA server because distance, so is imposible, but if i want 30 ping i can play on EU, but, i don`t like eu so i still play on NA even with 150-200 ping and is ok, not perfect but ok. So , stop cry and play the game, not all ppl need to have low ping, because not all ppl live in Chicago.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vasy86le wrote: »
    not all ppl need to have low ping

Actually...we do.
This discussion has been closed.