Hackers in TERA

1235»

Comments

• counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29
    FWIW, I never claim to be the bearer of objective truth, but I stand by everything I said. Some people's way of winning an argument isn't to actually win the argument, but purely to attack and try to discredit the arguer. Surely they know this is a logical fallacy, and people will see through such obvious manipulative tactics. I believe in people's ability to see what's really going on and make their own decisions. I welcome everyone to question everything I say; I enjoy a good debate and arguing to understand everyone's different perspectives. We may not always agree, but I will try my best to listen and be respectful. But discussing with people whose real goal is to "put you in your place" is a waste of time. I won't be cowed into submission by these people.
  • edited August 29
    I just don't get it. EME and BHS have all day to work to improve the game to run smoothly and lower the ping for players that are far away from the NA servers, but I guess they have something better to do, since they dont like the money that comes from the south areas . There are literally thousands of players in the south america and other regions that want to play the game but can't. I have a really good PC, I can run most of the newer games in ultra high video settings, but when I play a Tera's BG's it looks like a power point slide show to me, I literally have to predict the future to land a skill, ( well, since EME and BHS don't solve this issues, I getting pretty good at future telling). Even if I have the best end game gear I fall behind cos my ping is way to high.

These hackers problems are nothing more than something that came to fill the space that BHS left when they didn't listened to the players and didn't make any improviment, so "others" had to do it. I'm not a IT genius, but, is it that hard to improve the game ? I mean EME and BHS have all day to do this, after all its their jobs to spent all the time to make the game better every single day.

Don't get me wrong I love this game, I just don't want to see something that I love being killed slowly by their own creators.
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vindicting wrote: »
    Spacecats wrote: »
    xoBarb wrote: »
    The only difference is that there are more programmers out there with a lot of time on their hands.

Anyone else volunteer to be a referral for these proxy devs resume so they can get out and focus on a real job instead of a game they're banned from?
    From what I read on Discord they're all doing this part time. These mods are anything from PhD students to medical doctors, and Meishu even works at Discord.

Ah... I'd rather not comment except... nah. A medical doctor is not taking time out of their day to hack a free to play video game. Hackers can say they're Nobel prize winners. It doesn't make their hobby any more legit.
    I think you have a very prejudice view on what a hacker can and can't be. A lot of people just have interest in hacking as a challenge in their spare time, and in my field of IT I think most of my coworkers would have "hacked" at some point in their lives. Even Bill Gates was caught hacking in his youth.

I think it's actually widely known in the TERA community that he's a medical doctor and he often helps out players interested in the field explaining the process to go through medical training and also shares a lot of stories and health stuff to discuss. Meishu doesn't post much but she's definitely a Discord staff based on Discord flair.

You might be right. Sorry if I came across as narrow minded. I guess the point I wanted to make was that real life circumstances don't change the fact that hackers hurt the health of a game like TERA. Being a doctor doesn't give you a free morality pass to do other harmful things.
    It doesn't I completely agree with you. I just found your initial attitude towards those people misinformed in my opinion. Because I work in IT and everyone hacks I don't have a prejudice towards people who do (I do it too), but I just want you to know that these players you are labelling and dismissing are in fact very educated and reasonable people. Some of them even have deep contributions to TERA going back a few years, like one of them practically invented theorycrafting.

Reasonably create cheats and hacks, very nice. Game has problems but that doesn't make ruining a game, CS BG for example, reasonable.
  • > @LesbianVi said:
    > Reasonably create cheats and hacks, very nice. Game has problems but that doesn't make ruining a game, CS BG for example, reasonable.

With all due respect, this is a straw man. No one is arguing memeslashers and the like running around ruining BGs is ok.
    As I understand it, the argument being made is that since the connection to servers is bad for so many people, they turned to proxy to fix it since BHS/EME did nothing to help. The recent update served more to bring funding and support for such mods, as people still want their ping reliant skills fixed one way or another.

Tldr: people aren't supporting blatant cheating. The vast majority of proxy/mod users were just trying to fix things BHS/EME refused to.
  • LesbianViLesbianVi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solheim wrote: »
    > @LesbianVi said:
    > Reasonably create cheats and hacks, very nice. Game has problems but that doesn't make ruining a game, CS BG for example, reasonable.

With all due respect, this is a straw man. No one is arguing memeslashers and the like running around ruining BGs is ok.
    As I understand it, the argument being made is that since the connection to servers is bad for so many people, they turned to proxy to fix it since BHS/EME did nothing to help. The recent update served more to bring funding and support for such mods, as people still want their ping reliant skills fixed one way or another.

Tldr: people aren't supporting blatant cheating. The vast majority of proxy/mod users were just trying to fix things BHS/EME refused to.

those players used tools on BGs right? as I said before, PVE wise none of us having problems, unless cheats on PVE to farm stuff and such, but PVP when ppl using them and knowing that gonna give them advantages and many even use those advantages to win, that is something else, how many threads ppl made and were pissed at cheats on BGs?

I yet to see any of these players, or those DEV condemn that.
  • 66ECX7NAN766ECX7NAN7 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the devs have been banned from this forum.
  • "Those players 20 ms ping in BGs cause they live in Chicago? As I said before, PVE wise none of us having problems, but PVP when ppl have 20 ms ping cause they live in Chicago and knowing that gonna give them advantages and many even use those advantages to win, that is something else, how many threads ppl made and were on having 20 ms ping cause they live in Chicago for BGs?

I have yet to see any of these players, or those DEV condemn that."

There I FTFY.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭
    LesbianVi wrote: »
    I yet to see any of these players, or those DEV condemn that.

Plenty of people condemned door glitching and wall walking in various BGs. Just because you closed your eyes every time it happened, doesn't make it disappear.
  • > @LesbianVi said:
    > those players used tools on BGs right? as I said before, PVE wise none of us having problems, unless cheats on PVE to farm stuff and such, but PVP when ppl using them and knowing that gonna give them advantages and many even use those advantages to win, that is something else, how many threads ppl made and were pissed at cheats on BGs?
    >
    > I yet to see any of these players, or those DEV condemn that.

Should the developers of proxy condemn those exploits? Yes.
    I disagree with the idea that its responsible use gives a massive advantage in BGs any more than I have with my stable 40ms ping. Once more, people who use it for 1-hit kills and walk through CS gates is another thing altogether.
    But for people using it so things like archer rapid fire and gunner BF work properly, seems to not be an issue. Which is what the majority of proxy users used it for to my knowledge.

• These hackers problems are nothing more than something that came to fill the space that BHS left when they didn't listened to the players and didn't make any improviment, so "others" had to do it. I'm not a IT genius, but, is it that hard to improve the game ? I mean EME and BHS have all day to do this, after all its their jobs to spent all the time to make the game better every single day.

Don't get me wrong I love this game, I just don't want to see something that I love being killed slowly by their own creators.
    [/quote]

you have said what ive been trying to say for many months now. I think many others feel the same way, but don't want to post it in forums in fear of getting a warning or behind bars. sometimes we can voice our opinions, and nothing happens, then other times when we do, we get a warning. I know its hard to get the infliction from typed words and how things can get misunderstood.
    sometimes I feel like bhs doesn't care about any tera except for korea tera and I feel like they are just trying to squeeze out as much money as they can from the players before they close shop on tera. they already know that if they bring out a mount, weapon skin, or costume, people will swipe that card no matter the problems with tera.
    as far as the devs of the 3rd party software and all, I don't see why eme didn't contact them through whatever means that the devs are using to sell their software, and maybe buy it to see what it does and doesn't do as far as fixing whats wrong with the game. I have suggested this many times in different forums here and no response from any eme staff about if it was something they could or couldn't do, or maybe would or wouldn't do. they could go throught the program and make sure it wouldn't hurt the game and then maybe put it in with an update or have a link to where players could download it at their own risk that way they wont get in trouble with bhs. I feel like people are getting fed up with the problems in tera and the servers and are resorting to extreme measures to play the game. I feel like they have the thoughts of what do they have to lose at this point. with newer games being released soon and some coming to consoles, I fear we may lose many more players. but I guess we will see if bhs/eme will do anything to improve on the problems that have been hurting tera the past 4 years that I know of. I doubt it, but one can only dream.
  • CosmicCricketCosmicCricket ✭✭
    edited August 29
    EME really inspiring engaging and constructive conversation with the community in here.

I spent a little bit of time thinking about how I could make my post fit the unhelpfully broad forum rules, then gave up and posted this snarky comment instead.
  • edited August 29
    Hi all,

First of all, I appreciate a lot of the comments from people in this thread, speaking your mind, and getting things off your chest. Unfortunately, yes, this thread is going to be closed because, for one thing, I believe the discussion has run its course. At this point many opinions have been expressed, there have been multiple EME responses, and while the conversation around hacks is far from over I think there are some good things to take away from this thread that I don't want to get buried by additional comments:

• A lot of players blame En Masse and Bluehole for hackers ruining the game. Others blame the hackers. Some hackers blame other hackers and say they're "innocent hackers." There's a lot of blame to go around. At the end of the day, En Masse and Bluehole are doing what we can to rid TERA of the current hacking problems but we can't do it alone.
    • It's up to honest players out there to do TWO THINGS. 1) Think about what you choose to believe in the community. Everyone knows TERA players love rumors. Conspiracies are sexy as hell. DRAMA IS SEXY! But be smart about spreading information to people you know because there are a lot of factors especially when it comes to the issue of hacking. 2) Report exploiters and hackers when you see them. Create a ticket. You help En Masse and Bluehole (and the rest of the TERA community) WAY WAY more than you know. If you're reading this and you've recently submitted a support ticket with a screenshot or video reporting someone hacking the game - hi, thank you, I love you.
    • Each hotfix that Bluehole delivers to us, we implement. There will be more hacks to circumvent some of these fixes, and some fixes don't fix all the issues. There will be more fixes to block the hacks. It's an ongoing process that we care about very much. Until hackers decide they're tired of getting attention (and sometimes money) from TERA players, they'll keep doing what they're doing. Again, honest players out there are key to turning things around just as much as Bluehole's development efforts.

Finally, you'll notice that the person who started this thread originally titled "the situation is dire", Vindicting, has been banned.

That's because we've discovered that Vindicting is actually Bernkastel, a hacker known for developing and making a monetary profit from malicious software. Our team has confirmed this not too long ago the same way they confirm in-game hackers and associated accounts.

This thread was an attempt by him to influence the conversation around hacking and stir up drama within the TERA community. His game is pretty simple at this point - he's banned from TERA, we don't want him around, but so long as he can get attention and money from people he will continue to insert himself into conversations, anonymously or not, in either direct support of hackers or in less obvious ways, raising suspicion around En Masse's intentions, confusing our statements or forum replies by twisting words or poking holes in our meaning. It's amusing to him, he has a lot of spare time on his hands, and some less-than-friendly players out there are more than happy to help him out (and even harass other players for him or in his name) because they either think it's amusing too, or they're bored and think hacking is cool.

I urge you guys to read back through Vindicting's comments in this thread and spot the ways he subtly has influenced the discussion, people's attitudes towards exploits, and how you can watch out for behavior like this in Discord chat, here in the forums (he and his friends can always make new accounts), and even in-game. This isn't the first or last account he has made. DO NOT start a Bernkastel witch hunt in these forums please, just take this as a rare opportunity to study subversive behavior and we can all move on a little wiser.

Last thing - there's an exciting new addition to the TERA community that should help you all stay in touch with not just EME staff, but each other. A new En Masse Discord server designed to let people hang out and chat no matter what game you play. A news post is going up today about it, but don't wait to hop in be some of the first TERA players to chat there!

Let this be your primary spot for chatting with other TERA players outside your guild Discord. We've got channels for each EME game, open voice channels to chat with in-game party members, and custom emojis. There are more cool things on the way that I've been discussing with the Discord staff - they're working on some really awesome developer/publisher focused chat features that we're excited to share: https://discord.gg/MthDMfX

1QkUWCM.jpg
1235»
This discussion has been closed.