Tera on consoles in 2018, no cross platform, other news

Comments

• ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    WCWKXCHTTG wrote: »
    Yordaddy wrote: »
    Don't worry ppl, 5th anniversary event will bring back everybody for PC servers. we don't need the console rich kids. servers are overflooded as we speak.

console rich kids? you dont need to be rich to have a console , from my POV the console industry its getting bigger and bigger while PC industry its getting obsolete , even microsoft its focusing more in console ^^

Yes, PCs are getting obsolete, it's just hater talk when we compare processing capacity and PC smashes current gen consoles. Heck they beat them when they're the new shiny toy. But that's all hater talk, PCs are just those old beige boxes with a CRT on top.

Back to topic, I could understand not being bothered by lack of cross play as a console player, but preferring it I will never understand, there still hasn't a single point in economy that made sense (all this monopoly thing is moot point as any new player can do the same or worse when he comes to console), and population wise I can't see the PC ones being SO toxic to want to avoid them like the plague.
  • LancerJivaLancerJiva ✭✭✭✭
    "move TERA to consoles"

Does this mean that the PC game will not be available to play anymore, forcing players to buy consoles to play in the future?
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    LancerJiva wrote: »
    "move TERA to consoles"

Does this mean that the PC game will not be available to play anymore, forcing players to buy consoles to play in the future?

Definitely ain't happening, just bad wording or stupid predictions.
  • I honestly wish they would do cross platforming like they do in FFXIV. Granted you have to pay for it and a monthly sub to even play the game. But, being able to pick what region to play on regardless of where you are in the world is awesome to me. You get to meet people from around the world, not to mention FFXIV is on PC, Mac, and Ps4 (all on the same servers, and they don't have any issues.)
  • edited September 2017
    well, cross-server and KBM support just like console's current top MMO FFXIV does is kinda mandatory otherwise I don't expect console TERA would work cuz for MMO genre itself in terms of player's perspective, KBM is kinda a definite set to go.
  • CassandraTRCassandraTR ✭✭✭✭✭
    HighAngel wrote: »
    I honestly wish they would do cross platforming like they do in FFXIV. Granted you have to pay for it and a monthly sub to even play the game. But, being able to pick what region to play on regardless of where you are in the world is awesome to me. You get to meet people from around the world, not to mention FFXIV is on PC, Mac, and Ps4 (all on the same servers, and they don't have any issues.)

This is an asinine comparison, and is comparing apples to oranges. Square-Enix is a huge international company that has operated internationally for decades... BHS and EME are not even remotely close to Square-Enix.

FFXIV is not free to play. They have a consistent budget, developers, and a monthly income of about $5,000,000 from subs. Even if they were taking losses, square could subsidize with other departments. They have almost 500k subs, with 81% of them coming from Japan and the USA almost equally.

Steam says there is probably ~2k players using steam to play Tera: http://steamcharts.com/app/323370. Let's say that there is 10x that amount that don't use the steam auncher. Heck let's say there's 20x that amount. 40k players, and let's say every single one of them spends double what Square charges for a subscription (we're being generous, so let's just pretend ok?.) That means EM might make 1/5th of what square does even in the most generous of circumstances. And we all know the majority of Tera players aren't spending $30 a month on Tera, and the average Tera player might not spend that in 6 months

It's downright silly to compare FFXIV and Tera.

• WCWKXCHTTG wrote: »
    Don't worry ppl, 5th anniversary event will bring back everybody for PC servers. we don't need the console rich kids. servers are overflooded as we speak.

console rich kids? you dont need to be rich to have a console , from my POV the console industry its getting bigger and bigger while PC industry its getting obsolete , even microsoft its focusing more in console ^^

OK WCWKXCHTTG...if that's even your real name...why don't you buy me a console then?
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    WCWKXCHTTG wrote: »

OK WCWKXCHTTG...if that's even your real name...why don't you buy me a console then?

because you are too much OMG its yordaddy :D
  • if there is no cross server play console is dead on release but might be fun to start a char on console for fun i've always wanted to start a fresh server with new players like back in vm1 when they brought valley of titans out and allowed no one to transfer to it until a few months or so later was a fun expierence probably the most fun in tera i had eventually killing queen from scratch on VoT
  • edited September 2017
    I wanted to clear up some inaccuracies in the OP/source as well as clarify a few things:

Content Parity:

The console version will not be up to date with PC and will in fact be several versions back. The exact build we're launching with for console is not yet locked down. The developers will need to pick a version and stick to it in order to refine and polish it ahead of release, as well as iron out any technical issues. This makes it impossible for the console version to be in sync with PC, at least at launch. Our ongoing goal of course is to eventually bring them as close together as possible in terms of content and build version.

Cross-Platform Play:

It is, in part, due to the lack of content of parity detailed above that cross-platform play will not be possible at launch.

Also, as many have alluded to, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One do not play together so even if we were able to offer cross-play we'd need to leave one platform alone on an island. This is not ideal either.

PC Version:

Development on the PC version will continue, as will En Masse's service of the game on PC in North America. There are plenty of updates still coming this year, as well as some exciting stuff in the works for 2018 as well.
  • Denommenator could you buy me a console?
  • @Denommenator Thanks for the update! I appreciate that explaination ^^
  • edited September 2017
    One more thing, if build versions eventually align and the overall situation is favorable to do so, we will definitely re-evaluate the potential for cross-play. We recognize the upside of it and agree that as an MMO, TERA would generally benefit from more players sharing the same environment.

I don't think anyone can deny that playing on PC then picking up where you left off on a console in your bedroom or at a friend's house is just plain cool and convenient.
  • JXE5356AKEJXE5356AKE ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    It would be nice if EME could make these announcements not as a response to vague journalism. People have been begging for console news for months.

As a response to the new itself. I'm not a console player, but if I was, I wouldn't be happy to hear about no cross-play and being even further behind. NA PC version barely gets patch notes on time, it's gonna be agonizing for console players. I'm glad I'm not one.
    Some people were hoping cross play would help the overall declining game population, but I guess not. I really hope EME have some discussions that go somewhere with BHS about the fundamentals of their game.
    And console better not spread EME thinner than they already seem to be already.

Also IMO waste of developer effort when PC isn't optimized, lack of fixes, long response times from BHS etc.
  • @Denommenator Cross platform play would be amazing. If it's impossible to make PS4 and Xbox play together, maybe it would be possible to let them play with PC on different servers? Like, TR/FF becomes PC/PS4 mixed and MT/AV PC/Xbox mixed?