The TERA servers will undergo an extended maintenance from 7-11 a.m., on Tuesday, 10/24.

Why EME won't do anything about token information leak.

edited October 3 in General Discussion
Like many of you I first heard of the token conversion rate when I saw it posted in the forums and was disgusted to hear that EME had given the information away earlier to selected players not even in the player council and without any form of NDA. To no one's surprise (except perhaps EME) these players took advantage of this promptly leaking it to their guilds and friends and these people made a great deal of gold from this information.

That having been said I am unsure what EME can do at this stage. Of course any even slightly competent publisher wouldn't have given the exact exchange rate beforehand (as why on earth even do this - any guides can just use the official ones when they come out). But AFAIK the people and guilds who profited from this didn't break any rules - none of them had signed NDAs and so as unbelievably frustrating as this is for the vast majority of the player base I am 100% certain EME wlll do nothing and just pretend they hadn't made such a ridiculously easily avoidable and stupid mistake.

It is a huge shame but that is life I guess :(

Comments

• ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if they didnt signed a NDA, ToS still apply on this, so if EME really care about this isse then some account bans are to be expected.
  • McOnosRep wrote: »
    It is a huge shame but that is life I guess :(

• ElinUsagi wrote: »
    Even if they didnt signed a NDA, ToS still apply on this, so if EME really care about this isse then some account bans are to be expected.

But that is basically my point - what exactly in the ToS says you cant act on future information if you haven't signed an NDA?

Not saying this is fair, just was a monumental cockup on EME side together with the (unsurprising) greed of the people who were handed this golden information for free with no NDA...
    edited October 3
    McOnosRep wrote: »
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

But that is basically my point - what exactly in the ToS says you cant act on future information if you haven't signed an NDA?

Not saying this is fair, just was a monumental cockup on EME side together with the (unsurprising) greed of the people who were handed this golden information for free with no NDA...

ToS states that EME can ban your account without further notice and at their own discretion without them need to explain it.

If EME consider that the leak of this info is an offense in any means then they can ban applying that criteria.

That's why ToS are made this way, so any bahaviour from players in their game can be judge from EME at their best interests.
  • Haggard86Haggard86 ✭✭✭✭
    They could consider it an exploit
    Haggard86 wrote: »

I would make an internal punishement inside EME staff and make people to from there to craft BiS before a month without using Admin tools.

Anyone that cant do this get a penalty and have to make extra time helping support with support tickets at weekends.
  • McOnosRepMcOnosRep ✭✭
    edited October 3
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

ToS states that EME can ban your account without further notice and at their own discretion without them need to explain it.

If EME consider that the leak of this info is an offense in any means then they can ban applying that criteria.

That's why ToS are made this way, so any bahaviour from players in their game can be judge from EME at their best interests.

Yes it is 100% true that EME can ban for anything they like, but why from their own selfish perspective would EME do that? The would have to admit they (EME) made a huge and trivially avoidable mistake, and they would not just look like total fools but would have to admit to it. Especially as the people who did this simply acted on information given to them WITHOUT AN NDA by EME.

Please understand I am not say this is fair or anything - I am one of the little guys who got screwed. I am just saying that I don't see any rule that was broken and that this was 100% predictable outcome and no one (well except for mEME again) would have expected any different.
  • Hi there! We've got a statement on this very topic coming out later today. I wanted to give you a heads up to look for that coming this afternoon before this topic proceeds further. In the meantime, I'll be locking it.
This discussion has been closed.