The TERA servers will undergo an extended maintenance from 7-11 a.m., on Tuesday, 10/24.

Servers still not up

124

Comments

  • My F5 key is broken... thank you Enmasse !
  • edited October 10
    We'll be up in less than 30 minutes, very likely much sooner than that. Apologies for the lack of communication the three of us on the TERA team were running around, investigating errors, and pushing fixes.

    EDIT: And SingleBear too!
  • Jordansb1Jordansb1 ✭✭✭
    Both parties are making fair points.

    The point I'd like to make is that people pay money to have access to the Elite perks. These perks last for one month real time, not in game time.

    I'm assuming Elite costs about $15.00 per month.

    So for every hour Elite members wait they lose $0.02.

    Two cents is by no means a lot to pay, but the fact that they are paying for a service and not receiving it is, in principle, simply not a good thing.

  • We'll be up in less than 30 minutes, very likely much sooner than that. Apologies for the lack of communication the three of us on the TERA team were running around, investigating errors, and pushing fixes.

    Thank you for the update
  • We'll be up in less than 30 minutes, very likely much sooner than that. Apologies for the lack of communication the three of us on the TERA team were running around, investigating errors, and pushing fixes.

    Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :)
  • EllieChuEllieChu ✭✭✭
    Peachball wrote: »
    I personally appreciate the time taken to make my experience more enjoyable. Just saying...

    they took down the server because an item sold for 10k gold instead of 1k gold, and dragon scales not being in some vanguards.
  • But now people have to wait another 30 mins to complain again
  • We'll be up in less than 30 minutes, very likely much sooner than that. Apologies for the lack of communication the three of us on the TERA team were running around, investigating errors, and pushing fixes.

    EDIT: And SingleBear too!

    Ty for the update :3
  • We'll be up in less than 30 minutes, very likely much sooner than that. Apologies for the lack of communication the three of us on the TERA team were running around, investigating errors, and pushing fixes.

    EDIT: And SingleBear too!

    T H R E E (3)
    Yikes understaffed.
  • DIONIDIONI ✭✭
    We'll be up in less than 30 minutes, very likely much sooner than that. Apologies for the lack of communication the three of us on the TERA team were running around, investigating errors, and pushing fixes.

    EDIT: And SingleBear too!

    Better taking your time to check than having to do another maintenance because another major bug.
  • BabbelsimBabbelsim ✭✭✭
    We'll be up in less than 30 minutes, very likely much sooner than that. Apologies for the lack of communication the three of us on the TERA team were running around, investigating errors, and pushing fixes.

    EDIT: And SingleBear too!

    @Denommenator will there be a small roll back seeing as people got loads of tokens from the convert error?
  • EllieChu wrote: »
    Peachball wrote: »
    I personally appreciate the time taken to make my experience more enjoyable. Just saying...

    they took down the server because an item sold for 10k gold instead of 1k gold, and dragon scales not being in some vanguards.

    If that's the case then I can see why it's taking longer but I still want to try the game.
  • you guys are special, not gonna lie xD you are [filtered] about the game on PATCH DAY when has this game ever been at 100% when patches first come out like cmon xD
  • EquitasEquitas ✭✭✭
    Ahaha.. They own a game... That we all play..And yet..You claim they owe us nothing? If we didn't play their game...There would be no game... The community is what makes the game stay alive. If they don's have good communication towards times/updates/status of the game (Which they don't) people might not continue to play the game. Also, I want to add, that you aren't so mature yourself because well...You say you will stay here because you like it here..But we can all tell you just like making people mad. *shrug* which..is..not mature hon. ^^;

    Last name first, I'm not your "hon". Secondly, I'm not making anyone anything. It's ultimately their choice to be angry when someone is just trying to be real with them. The fact that people act like this over a maintenance that's taking a little longer than expected is pathetic. That's the long and short of it. I don't like it either, but the extent to which some people go is sad. Especially when it is common for patches and routine maintenance to go beyond schedule. People act like they've never seen this before.
    WrongHole wrote: »
    tired of ppl like you fgt, who think they are more smart than others.
    I do not know why I waste my time answering you if I know you're going to answer something stupid, like you just did.
    gl fgt.

    "going to answer something stupid"

    spams "fgt"

    I don't think I am any more or less smart than the next person. I just think I'm a little more reasonable than people who freak out like their life is about to end every single time a patch takes even 1 minute more than the estimated time.
    "Like eme owes you something" well, sir, they at least owe us an update considering everyone here just wants to play THEIR game. I mean wouldn't that just make sense ?

    And I have no doubt we'll get one... when there's one to be given.
    Chido wrote: »
    I just purchased EMP and now are being denied to use it! Good thing Paypal and my bank have good policies against goods/services not received

    Enjoy your ban for issuing a chargeback.
    Daewa wrote: »
    Come on folks, quit feeding the troll lol....

    Honesty ≠ trolling.
  • MrPhoenix wrote: »
    you guys are special, not gonna lie xD you are [filtered] about the game on PATCH DAY when has this game ever been at 100% when patches first come out like cmon xD

    When has this game ever been 100% at any time?
    That's the issue.
Sign In or Register to comment.