There will be a TERA PC Maintenance on Thursday (7/19) from 7 - 11 A.M. PDT

Please no bundles

Please bring back the lootboxes for the halloween costumes not everyone can afford your overpriced bundles

Comments

• lmao. when there's lootboxes people say "get rid of the lootboxes I just wanna buy it outright"
    and then when they let u do that "pls this is 2 expensive bring back the lootboxes"
    the prices are pretty decent compared to lootbox rng anyway
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do tend to agree with the above that, had they kept it in lootboxes, most people probably would have spent about the same on average for just the costume. Average price per lootbox rare costume in this game is around ~$40 (with average RNG). The nurse and police bundles are cheaper than the average lootbox price (probably because these ones were less popular).

Granted these are older costumes now, but I think it's probably better on the whole than what it would have been in lootboxes.
  • i miss the standard devilliciose (the cheaper one) from the list? or they boosted the old price of 20 buck up to 40 =x
  • UdonPasta wrote: »
    i miss the standard devilliciose (the cheaper one) from the list? or they boosted the old price of 20 buck up to 40 =x

That one is in Kyra's Potion Shack.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    feminzii wrote: »
    lmao. when there's lootboxes people say "get rid of the lootboxes I just wanna buy it outright"
    and then when they let u do that "pls this is 2 expensive bring back the lootboxes"
    the prices are pretty decent compared to lootbox rng anyway

Forum opinions aren't limited to one person. Obviously anyone fine with the status quo wouldn't go out of their way to make a thread about how much they want to keep things as they are.

Personally I am happy to see dyeable items being sold at a flat rate; I see it as a step in the right direction away from the gambling system we currently have. But I'm not about to drop 40 bucks on an old, seasonal item. That's just me though. If it were the new dyeable items being sold at that rate, with an option to lootbox as well, then they'd have me pretty tempted to just weigh my options and possibly buy the item outright.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo, buying in bundle is a much better move than spending in loot boxes. You are buying the thing you want for an already fixed price, instead of spending probably more on loot boxes that may not give you what you want.

Give your customers what they want, not a chance at it. This is indeed a good move and I hope EME will do more like this in the future.
  • Agreed!
    Though I'm gunna grumble that it's a bit spendy as I hit the buy button....in contrast to being disgruntled and not buying the loot boxes.
  • Whenever EME or BHS removes RNG per player request, they make the guaranteed cost way higher than the RNG average. There is no Winning with them. You may get away from the dreaded randomness and uncertainty, but you pay much higher for guaranteed success than you would on average with RNG.

Just pick your [filtered] poison. The MMO games like TERA are made by the screw up and corrupted country where people only know how to squeeze as much out of others as possible. We just need to lower our expectation rather than hoping they will meet our expectation.
    edited October 2017
    admonitu wrote: »
    You may get away from the dreaded randomness and uncertainty, but you pay much higher for guaranteed success than you would on average with RNG.
    I get your point in general, but with these lootboxes? Maybe if the lootboxes were like 50% off or something, but at regular price I don't think the average RNG was less than $40 -- certainly not if there was a certain color in particular you wanted. The win rate on most lootboxes isn't going to be much higher than 3%.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever EME or BHS removes RNG per player request, they make the guaranteed cost way higher than the RNG average. There is no Winning with them. You may get away from the dreaded randomness and uncertainty, but you pay much higher for guaranteed success than you would on average with RNG.

Just pick your [filtered] poison. The MMO games like TERA are made by the screw up and corrupted country where people only know how to squeeze as much out of others as possible. We just need to lower our expectation rather than hoping they will meet our expectation.

The market is different. Over there in Korea, they might like to gamble their entire life savings for a piece of cloth. Here in the USA market however, people like to get what they want for what they pay.

If you pay 50 dollars in loot boxes, and the jackpot never appears, people get discouraged, and do not spend more, however, the feeling of wanting that jackpot sometimes is stronger, and drives them to spend way over the original budget.

However, if you start selling said jackpot, for a slightly higher price tag, you guaranteed your customers to come back for more, as they are getting what they are paying for straight from the shelves.
  • Keep these [filtered] bundles as is. @Yakusan must have never experince hard core rng i rather spend $30 flat then on rng [filtered] for my costume and it only make sense for these to be non loot box specially devilious there so old out dated yeah they might be a little pricy but beats never get to winning them at all *shed tear at disco dress loot box*
  • admonitu wrote: »
    Whenever EME or BHS removes RNG per player request, they make the guaranteed cost way higher than the RNG average. There is no Winning with them. You may get away from the dreaded randomness and uncertainty, but you pay much higher for guaranteed success than you would on average with RNG.

I just have to weigh in and say this: you are absolutely 100% INCORRECT about your assessment of how items are priced. I can tell you as someone privy to the ACTUAL information about the RNG rates and all the prices that you have no idea what you're talking about. Your statement is only based on opinion and conjecture.
  • TWMagimayTWMagimay ✭✭✭✭✭

I just have to weigh in and say this: you are absolutely 100% INCORRECT about your assessment of how items are priced. I can tell you as someone privy to the ACTUAL information about the RNG rates and all the prices that you have no idea what you're talking about. Your statement is only based on opinion and conjecture.

Holy burn, Batman. I knew I liked you :D

PS: Why not both though? Is there a special reason it has to be either lootboxes or bundles/direct sale? Y'all are arguing like these things can't coexist....
    edited October 2017
    TWMagimay wrote: »
    PS: Why not both though? Is there a special reason it has to be either lootboxes or bundles/direct sale? Y'all are arguing like these things can't coexist....

I'd be curious about their official answer too, but personally my conjecture is that it would have a psychological impact and would hurt overall sales. Here are some reasons I believe this (though they're just my theories since I don't have the data to prove it):

1. If you give people the choice between expensive direct-buy vs. low-cost chance to win, seeing the high direct-buy might cause people to conjecture that their odds to win are lower (since they'll presume, maybe wrongly, that the company is trying to push people towards spending the higher price outright) and they'll buy neither.
    2. There's also a negative reinforcement of failing with lootboxes if you knew you had the option to just buy outright from the get-go. Similar to the above, it results in you thinking next time that there's no point in trying with lootboxes since you'll just lose vs. spending the buy-out price. Part of what drives people to buying lootboxes is believing in the chance to win where others aren't so lucky.
    3. It puts more of a value cap for the rare on the broker, and sometimes it's beneficial for that to be inflated based on people's fear of RNG. (That speculation helps encourage people to open lootboxes, even if they're buying with gold.)
    4. Time-limited bundles are one thing, but if the whole store were constantly filled with high-priced premium cosmetics, it might scare away new customers with sticker shock, even though the option to buy lootboxes and take their chances exists. The high price only makes sense when you already understand what you're comparing it to (lootboxes).

I feel like this is why a lot of gacha games go with failure cap systems instead, since it still drives everyone to the RNG method (that is overall more profitable) while at least assuring people they can't lose forever. (And aside, I also think companies need to post the odds. I won't give up advocating that either.)

Don't get me wrong, I'd totally rather the option to buy outright because I know it's worth it over playing lootbox roulette, but it just seems to me from a business point of view that it probably won't work quite right. Now if you split it so it switched to direct buy after a certain period of time exclusive to lootboxes (as we have here)... that's a bit different. But that basically only works for desirable items. If you try to pull that trick with mediocre items, people will just say "meh" and wait for the direct-buy (or lose interest entirely in the meantime). It's sort of like how, recently, there's been a bit of "don't bother buying cash shop cosmetics; just wait for EME to give it away in an event" thing going around; it drives demand down.
  • I like the bundles because like what others have said, after failing so many loot boxes, I just feel dejected and give up, without feeling like wasting more money on loot boxes and without the item I wanted. In the past I felt like my odds weren't terrible, and I would buy a bunch of loot boxes to get an outfit but recently after spending more than I ever have and still failing *cough summer wrap cough* I don't even feel like trying a single loot box anymore. You could consider me a lost customer for loot boxes now. I probably would have bought a dyeable homemade costume bundle with some leftover emp I had meant to spend on the last mount sale, but instead I wasted it on loot boxes and didn't get the prize...