[TERA PC] With anniversary concluded and our servers stabilized, we are re-enabling the Adventure Coin system, starting 10 a.m. PT on June 5 (Fri) with the scheduled Weekend Dungeon Highlight. Thank you for understanding.
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

An Option for Less Explicit Clothing

edited November 2017 in Game Suggestions
Hello all. I would like to take a moment to post about a suggestion which would make TERA playable for me. Several days ago I contacted TERA support about this, and they promised to pass it on to the appropriate channels, and recommended that I check the forums. After seeing that there was a place for me to make my suggestion to the public in general, and where I could get feedback on it, I decided it was a great idea. So let us begin. Be warned, I have a somewhat long story.

TERA is an amazing game. It is one of the best MMOs I have ever seen. Earlier this year when I found out about it, I was extremely excited. The action combat is what originally made me want to play, however, there was a problem for me: the outfits of most female characters in the game were far less appropriate than what I would be comfortable with seeing. I searched for an alTERAnative (heh), but there wasn't one. Finally I did research, a lot of it, and eventually figured out how to modify the game's assets. I spent many days of work which finally resulted in a patch for TERA which replaced (almost) all of the female outfits with solid green, non-reflective clothing which covered the entire body besides the face, hands, and feet. Finally I could play the game, and a few people I knew who were in the same boat as me were very excited and tried the patch as well. It worked and everyone was able to play for a while. The action combat was fun, but I grew to love the game even more for its amazing enviroments, the beautiful landscapes, and how truly alive the world felt.

Then the Summer update came along. It added lots of new Summer and specifically beach themed cosmetic outfits, as most of you should already know. Not only did this render my patch useless, I didn't even know how to patch these new cosmetic outfits, as they were in different parts of the assets. This meant that I would have to start over from the beginning, creating the patch from scratch, and spending many days of work on it. This isn't just any work, it's extremely boring. I was too busy to work on the patch, and then another update came along, and they keep on coming. With every update that comes along and adds new outfits, the assets need to be re-patched to ensure everything is blocked. This would be a huge time sink for someone who only really wants to play a game and does have other MMOptions (was that too punny?) to choose from. TERA is amazing, but despite its greatness, I do not have the time to spend on patching it up constantly.

Now, I have done research as I said, and I am of the understanding that modifying the TERA assets is grounds for an account ban. I believe it is to keep players from editing a premium/paid for outfit onto their character to avoid paying money, and stuff like that. If En Masse decides to ban my account, so be it. I completely understand and will gladly accept the consequences if I am able to state my story here and get my point across.

So now that we've gotten all of that out of the way, here's the actual suggestion. It's extremely simple: add a video option which activates the substituting of clothing. When activated, it could simply render all clothing as solid black/green or what have you, similar to my patch. It could also load a basic, actually appropriate clothing model on all characters. And on top of this, it could be added as a video optimization option: having to load fewer clothing models and textures would have a very slight benefit for performance, and if it was not desired to add this as a specific "make the game more appropriate" option, the excuse could be optimization.

Of course, there are a few other things which would be very nice to see patched with this option as well, such as the gigantic nude goddess statues in Velika... but at least I can avoid those. I can't avoid players all over the world.

I get that the game was aimed at more mature audiences. It was a conscious design choice. However, it renders this great game unplayable for me and many others. I want to help bring more users to TERA, and I believe that this small addition would do just that. I don't want to enforce this change on everyone, only to make it an option for those who would otherwise rather not play. More players in an MMO is always a good thing in my book.

Thank you for your time in reading this long post. I hope you can see how strongly I believe in this suggestion. If you have any ideas for improvements, please, let me know. If you think it's a bad idea, please, tell me why. I think that's all I've got to say for now.

God bless! Kalman signing out.

Comments

• I'm just going to touch on a few things in your post before getting to the suggestion itself.
    I get that the game was aimed at more mature audiences. It was a conscious design choice. However, it renders this great game unplayable for me and many others.

Then you are clearly playing the wrong game. This was in regards to the statue in Velika. I don't really feel like explaining the lore to you, but if you did know the lore you would understand the role the gods/goddesses had in the world and the various positions people took in regard to their deities. The game is not going to change for one person, or a small subset of people. You, and the "many others" as you stated it, are a part of a minority group that are uncomfortable with the costumes and aesthetic design. If you wish to make a fair public poll on the issue, be my guest. But you will find a large majority of the players are either in favor of the designs or simply don't care.

If you aren't comfortable seeing people in skimpy outfits, I am honestly under the assumption you are much young than the average age of the intended target audience. I think the last time I would have though an outfit in TERA to be "skimpy" was when I roughly 12 or 13 years old. Honestly, you can probably find people in more revealing clothing walking around a mall or something.
    Now, I have done research as I said, and I am of the understanding that modifying the TERA assets is grounds for an account ban. I believe it is to keep players from editing a premium/paid for outfit onto their character to avoid paying money, and stuff like that.

There are numerous clothing options that aren't revealing in any way. To me it just seems like you are looking for a way to bypass either buying something from the store, or earning enough money yourself to pay for cosmetics. I have a wardrobe full of various outfits across numerous characters. All of these, except maybe two or three, were obtained either through various events or my hard work earning gold to afford these costumes. Additionally, if you want your character to be more covered than others, you still have numerous options. Let me link a few: Garden Party, Snowsilk, Penguin (among numerous other animal options), and Bridal Gown. Perhaps you can make an argument that the bridal gown is too "explicit", but if you honestly think a bridal gown is too much, you're simply grasping at straws. I don't think I've ever been to a wedding and thought "Oh wow, look at how explicit that bride is. The audacity!".
    Then the Summer update came along. It added lots of new Summer and specifically beach themed cosmetic outfits, as most of you should already know. Not only did this render my patch useless, I didn't even know how to patch these new cosmetic outfits, as they were in different parts of the assets.

I'm just a little confused on this part. Are you saying the swimsuits are also too "explicit"? If so, it's the same as the mall. If you head out to a beach, water park, or other, you'll potentially find women in the same type of swimsuit.
    As for your actual suggestion, it's good in concept, but is rather pointless. What is or is not appropriate all depends on the person. What you find appropriate will differ from what I find appropriate. This will also differ from what someone in my guild may find appropriate. As I mentioned before, you are part of a minority group that feels this way. From a business point of view, there is no point in in having EME/BHS waste their time nor resources for something to please the minority. Instead, their time and resources are going to be better spent developing cosmetics that the majority are going to keep purchasing. If you really like the game as much as you say you do, go ahead and purchase an item from the store that will cover up your character more. If you don't want to spend the money in the store, save up some gold until you can afford one.

Just to sum up in a nice tl;dr:
    Those who feel the same way as you are a minority. Either purchase an item from the store or in-game with gold to cover up your character. There's no reason to waste resources to appease a minority subset of players.

Sorry, but that's just the reality of it. The game isn't here to adapt to you. You need to adapt to the game. There is more than one right way to play, and at this point in time it just so happens that more of these "right ways to play" the game are either in favor of, or don't mind/care, the current cosmetic situation.
  • No waifu, no laifu!

First, sexual appeal sells. It makes money. For that reason alone any profit-seeking game isn't going to rule out sexual outfits.

Second, you're a very small minority, forcing your conservative values upon the community. I bet you go out on the street and hate on women who are dressed classy for date night too, possibly because you can't get some.

Third, free fashion coupon outfits cover up pretty nicely. Use those.

Women are sexy. Allow them to be.

PS you're a genius for posting on forums that you violated the ToS. No you won't be banned, but you really have no common sense.
  • ArdireArdire ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    it must be difficult trying to life your life avoiding a single glance of woman skin at all costs, at anytime.

like why aren't you hating on male castanic armor with their exposed abs and extremely low-waisted pants? or male amani armor which sometimes lacks pants entirely?

:thinking:

p.s. there's nothing inherently scandalous or lewd about a woman's chest. shocking, i know.
  • Ardire wrote: »
    or male amani armor which sometimes lacks pants entirely?

This implies someone is actually playing a male amani enough for people to see this! I'm on to your tricks!
  • Kalman98Kalman98 ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Okay, I'm new here and don't exactly know how quotes work, so... let's hope I'm doing this right?

Megwa:
    *snip*

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I understand all of your points and agree with some of them, but I feel like I did not make myself completely clear in my original post, so please allow me to explain more. First and foremost, my problem is not with my own character. I have a male High Elf character with completely normal clothing. My main problem is with other peoples' clothing, something which I cannot affect in-game currently and thus have suggested.
    Then you are clearly playing the wrong game. This was in regards to the statue in Velika. I don't really feel like explaining the lore to you, but if you did know the lore you would understand the role the gods/goddesses had in the world and the various positions people took in regard to their deities. The game is not going to change for one person, or a small subset of people. You, and the "many others" as you stated it, are a part of a minority group that are uncomfortable with the costumes and aesthetic design. If you wish to make a fair public poll on the issue, be my guest. But you will find a large majority of the players are either in favor of the designs or simply don't care.

I don't fully know the lore of the game, but I understand gods/goddesses being nude. It's been a thing in the real world for ages. Like I said, I don't have much problem with the naked statues, I can avoid them... just like I can avoid art museums in real life.
    If you aren't comfortable seeing people in skimpy outfits, I am honestly under the assumption you are much young than the average age of the intended target audience. I think the last time I would have though an outfit in TERA to be "skimpy" was when I roughly 12 or 13 years old. Honestly, you can probably find people in more revealing clothing walking around a mall or something.

While I feel like it's rather silly to state my age when I have no evidence to back it up, I can assure you that I am over 19 years old. I believe that appreciating modesty and being repelled by skimpiness is something that can never be outgrown.
    Additionally, if you want your character to be more covered than others, you still have numerous options. Let me link a few: Garden Party, Snowsilk, Penguin (among numerous other animal options), and Bridal Gown.

I didn't quote this whole block of text because it's mostly about the same thing which I already covered. The problem isn't with my own character. He couldn't wear dresses anyway (or can he? I guess I've never tried to find out...).
    I'm just a little confused on this part. Are you saying the swimsuits are also too "explicit"? If so, it's the same as the mall. If you head out to a beach, water park, or other, you'll potentially find women in the same type of swimsuit.

That is completely true. I have been to the beach before and know for a fact that this and worse can be found there. That doesn't make me any more inclined to seeing it, however.
    From a business point of view, there is no point in in having EME/BHS waste their time nor resources for something to please the minority.

This is why the change I suggested is so minimal. I've worked on games myself, I know how 3D rendering works. And sure, I don't know exactly how this game works, it's definitely harder than I think it is, but simply adding one checkbox in the video options and an extra check within a clothing rendering function cannot take that long. It won't affect the majority, but for a minimal cost it would help out a minority greatly.

I didn't quote everything you said because it was kind of long... if I missed something important, sorry, I tried to respond to everything. Thank you again for your time writing up a response, especially a non-aggressive one. I know a lot of people don't care a bit about what I think and to most this is all a waste of time. I have made my suggestion based on the hope that it will only take one developer seeing it, agreeing with the idea, and adding it in during some free time. And yeah, that's sounds silly, but I believe it can be done, one way or another.

Rhianne:
    First, sexual appeal sells. It makes money. For that reason alone any profit-seeking game isn't going to rule out sexual outfits.

I feel like you may have misread what I said there. I am not requesting the removal of anything or changing the clothing that is in the game. The only thing I want is an option to render all clothing as more appropriate for any users who want it to be that way. Client-side only, no affect on the general public.
    Second, you're a very small minority, forcing your conservative values upon the community. I bet you go out on the street and hate on women who are dressed classy for date night too, possibly because you can't get some.

I'm not really sure what I am forcing upon the community. I simply made a suggestion. I said in my original post that the game is unplayable for me as it is. If my suggestion doesn't happen, I will leave. I don't expect anyone to miss me, I will just leave because I won't play the game anyway.
    Third, free fashion coupon outfits cover up pretty nicely. Use those.

Thank you for your suggestion, but as I've cleared up above, I have no problem with my current male character. My problem is with the many characters I encounter throughout the world, both players and NPCs.
    PS you're a genius for posting on forums that you violated the ToS. No you won't be banned, but you really have no common sense.

If this suggestion doesn't go through, I won't be playing the game anyway. I don't have anything to lose. But even if it does go through and my account got banned or whatever, my goal here is to help others who have the same problems I do. If it goes through and I'm still able to play, all the better. I still love the game.

Ardire:
    it must be difficult trying to life your life avoiding a single glance of woman skin at all costs, at anytime.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say by this, so I'm sorry, I don't have a response.
    like why aren't you hating on male castanic armor with their exposed abs and extremely low-waisted pants? or male amani armor which sometimes lacks pants entirely?

To be perfectly honest, Amani are lizards to me. I've never had a problem with any of their outfits, because I'm not really worried by naked lizards. Now the Castanic men, I haven't really seen any of their outfits that caused any problems. I also don't know any people who have problems with shirtless men. I guess that isn't an answer, but I don't really know what else to say. If someone did have a problem with this, however, they would be able to enable this option.
    p.s. there's nothing inherently scandalous or lewd about a woman's chest. shocking, i know.

But they can be the cause of lewdness and scandal in ones' mind. Wow that sounded really weird. Anyway, the best way to avoid having problems is to stay away from things that can cause them.

So thanks again everyone. I really appreciate the input on this. It is heartening to see that the community cares enough to even respond to something like this.
  • If this suggestion doesn't go through, I won't be playing the game anyway.........your own words. your suggestions will fall on deaf ears with eme/bhs. the whole " ill just take my ball and go home if I don't get my way " attitude will get you nowhere except trolled. people here don't care if you leave or stay. you wont bully eme/bhs into doing anything.
    now with that being said, as a female that has been playing tera for the past 4 years, I don't have a problem with any of the clothing or costumes in tera. btw, you are much older than I am. my parents don't have a problem with any of the outfits in the game, and that includes the devilicious costume on my elin. I could actually be like you and complain about the male costumes being very skimpy like the bulge in the speedo type male swimwear. also I could be a prude and say that seeing a topless male is too much. I don't have anything against you, you are entitled to your own opinion, but as I said earlier, you will not ever make eme/bhs do anything they don't want to do. this is a rated mature game. there is no nudity whatsoever in tera. so I guess you have 2 choices now, since you got your little bit of attention and threw your tantrum, either continue to play and walk away from anything that offends you, or uninstall to make room for hello kitty island adventure. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.
  • allofspaceandtime:
    your suggestions will fall on deaf ears with eme/bhs. the whole " ill just take my ball and go home if I don't get my way " attitude will get you nowhere except trolled. people here don't care if you leave or stay. you wont bully eme/bhs into doing anything.

I'm sorry, you seem to have missed part of what I said in that post.
    From me:
    If my suggestion doesn't happen, I will leave. I don't expect anyone to miss me, I will just leave because I won't play the game anyway.

I do not want any attention on myself. I am only trying to submit a suggestion for the game which I believe will help some people and hurt none.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate the advice.
  • ArdireArdire ✭✭✭✭✭
    "But they can be the cause of lewdness and scandal in ones' mind. Wow that sounded really weird. Anyway, the best way to avoid having problems is to stay away from things that can cause them."
    "I also don't know any people who have problems with shirtless men."

how many layers on backwards double-think are you on, man????

scantily clad women: BAD, make me think BAD THINGS, cannot control myself because i am an APE
    scantily clad men: no problems here

If you're gonna suggest something like this at least have the decency to make it equal.

Also most people don't have issues with shirtless men 'cause men-attracted folk aren't insane to the point where simply seeing a single pixel of exposed flesh of a male character sends them into a sinful lustful frenzy in need of censorship. You know... instead of blaming the catalyst of your thoughts how about you take responsibility for them and control them yourself? Instead of plugging your ears and blindfolding your eyes face these things and start to like train your thought process, it's like a muscle dude, you gotta work it-- lewd pixels ain't the ones causing your problems, it's you and your brain. Take some self-responsibility, you're an adult for god's sake.
  • Ardire wrote: »
    "But they can be the cause of lewdness and scandal in ones' mind. Wow that sounded really weird. Anyway, the best way to avoid having problems is to stay away from things that can cause them."
    "I also don't know any people who have problems with shirtless men."

how many layers on backwards double-think are you on, man????

scantily clad women: BAD, make me think BAD THINGS, cannot control myself because i am an APE
    scantily clad men: no problems here

If you're gonna suggest something like this at least have the decency to make it equal.

Also most people don't have issues with shirtless men 'cause men-attracted folk aren't insane to the point where simply seeing a single pixel of exposed flesh of a male character sends them into a sinful lustful frenzy in need of censorship. You know... instead of blaming the catalyst of your thoughts how about you take responsibility for them and control them yourself? Instead of plugging your ears and blindfolding your eyes face these things and start to like train your thought process, it's like a muscle dude, you gotta work it-- lewd pixels ain't the ones causing your problems, it's you and your brain. Take some self-responsibility, you're an adult for god's sake.

i couldn't have said it better myself. you said in a much better way, what I was trying to say.
  • I appreciate the suggestions and time spent trying to help me out. Thank you for your opinions and advice on myself.

This thread seems have gotten rather off-topic, however. Does anyone have any ideas or tweaks for my original suggestion?
  • you could always check online for mods ...github, pintrest, and so on....another option would be set your graphics to the lowest settings to the point where other people or npcs are a dark shadow or so washed out that you cant tell what they are wearing. other than that, there is nothing you nor eme/bhs can or will do.
  • you could always check online for mods ...github, pintrest, and so on....another option would be set your graphics to the lowest settings to the point where other people or npcs are a dark shadow or so washed out that you cant tell what they are wearing. other than that, there is nothing you nor eme/bhs can or will do.

Ah, thank you! Unfortunately I have been unable to find any modifications for this online, which is why I created my own. Turning down the graphics settings to make people unrecognizable is something I actually had not thought of, so I'll look into to that and see if I can achieve something semi-playable... it would be a shame to waste my GPU power on that, but if it works I guess I couldn't complain.
  • Seriously though if you don't like the outfits, then simply get used to it, and earn some fashion coupons eventually. Soon enough you can buy some fashion through the fashion coupons interface and have a outfit that is less revealing. Not all Tera outfits are revealing!

Thank you very much for your suggestion; however, my problem is not with my own character, it is with the characters of other people which I am currently unable to do anything about. My suggestion is for a client-side-only option to replace all clothing on players/NPCs. I have gone into much more detail on exactly what I mean in the comments above, if you are interested in that. I should probably update my original post with that information.