[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 11/18 at 6pm PST. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Tanks are pretty much the bottleneck of Dungeon Queues and LFGs?

Queuing for a dungeon as a DPS class takes like 10 years, while queuing as a Tank class takes like 1 second. No joke.

I think the main issue is how unappealing the current tank classes are.

Lancer: Very ping reliant and doesn't have big epeen damage.
Warrior: Too complicated and you might as well play Lancer, but then ^.
Berserker: Wtf.
Brawler: A very nice tank class for high ping players and newbies, but can't be an Elin and who the heck would want to play a fantasy game and play as the Human race lmao. (Why I think Elin Brawler might actually save the game lol)

But really though, I think what drives a lot of new players out from trying a tank class is the steep learning curve and it's naturally ping reliant, since you need to block in the right time while DPSing, but lots of new players prefer playing safe as a tank by blocking most of the time, but if they hold their block for any longer than 2 seconds, their aggro instantly disappears, they panic, and then everyone yells at them. Feelsnewbieman. And no, that didn't happen to me! Yet... gladly.

Anyway, what do you guys think? c:

Post your thoughts in the COMMENTS BELOW and DON'T FORGET TO SMASH THAT MF'IN LIKE BUTTON(edit: I said that ironically, but then I realized that there actually is a like button xD).

Comments

• welcome to 2013
  • 9RA7AY6NK7 wrote: »

Post your thoughts in the COMMENTS BELOW and DON'T FORGET TO SMASH THAT MF'IN LIKE BUTTON.

How do I subscribe though?

Unfortunately this is, and always will be, the current meta of IMS. Good tanks don't want to queue and get stuck with bad DPS or mEME healers. They will mostly join the numerous LFG LF> T runs. Bad tanks are often scared to IMS because they don't want to get yelled at.

But how to fix this issue? For sure you're right that tanks are less appealing than DPS but at least it's way better than it used to be.
    It's like 5000x easier to hold aggro now than it was back eclipse pots were the norm. And Brawler is literally a faceroll tank that requires very little skill to play at an acceptable level.

What would be really sweet is if there was some in-game window where you could see all the parties currently queuing for a dungeon and so you'd know whether some parties were missing DPS or some were missing healers, etc. Same with for BGs. Then basically you'd have an idea of how long your DPS queue would actually take. And this way maybe they could add some extra incentive for people to queue as the role that's most needed at the moment. Like if 5 parties for TRNM were just waiting for a tank, they could offer some additional vanguard reward if you queued in. Of course this would lead to lots of other problems / exploits or whatever but it's just a thought.

Bottom line, if you want to get into a lot of runs, roll a Brawler and never have to worry about queue times again! It's quite magical! =)
  • My initial flippant post aside...
    Notepad806 wrote: »
    Good tanks don't want to queue and get stuck with bad DPS or mEME healers. They will mostly join the numerous LFG LF> T runs. Bad tanks are often scared to IMS because they don't want to get yelled at.

As someone who has mained tank classes for years, you've actually hit the nail on the head here. I instance match occasionally and even when you get a party that doesn't completely suck, it takes 2-3x as long as lfg. There's no reason to instance match on a tank because there's (almost) always an lfg looking for one anyway, and they have lower standards for tanks than dps. There's also the part where newer tanks will queue into experienced parties and have toxic angry people scream at them.

The only solution I can think of probably won't work with our low population, but it would be two different queues, one for learning and one for skilled (preferably more than the 5 clears it takes for skilled now..) to hopefully remove some of the random factor from queueing. Additionally, skilled players being allowed to join the unskilled queue would allow for people who are interested in teaching new players to do so. Extra rewards for queue is a bad idea because it will 100% be abused, you'll get the toxic "i'm looking for my friends kick pls" in every run, and that will just make it less appealing.
  • My initial flippant post aside...
    Notepad806 wrote: »
    Good tanks don't want to queue and get stuck with bad DPS or mEME healers. They will mostly join the numerous LFG LF> T runs. Bad tanks are often scared to IMS because they don't want to get yelled at.

As someone who has mained tank classes for years, you've actually hit the nail on the head here. I instance match occasionally and even when you get a party that doesn't completely suck, it takes 2-3x as long as lfg. There's no reason to instance match on a tank because there's (almost) always an lfg looking for one anyway, and they have lower standards for tanks than dps. There's also the part where newer tanks will queue into experienced parties and have toxic angry people scream at them.

The only solution I can think of probably won't work with our low population, but it would be two different queues, one for learning and one for skilled (preferably more than the 5 clears it takes for skilled now..) to hopefully remove some of the random factor from queueing. Additionally, skilled players being allowed to join the unskilled queue would allow for people who are interested in teaching new players to do so. Extra rewards for queue is a bad idea because it will 100% be abused, you'll get the toxic "i'm looking for my friends kick pls" in every run, and that will just make it less appealing.

Penguins!!
    Teach us RKHM okay!! :smile:
  • i actually agree with the OP, tanks should be able to choose from ALL the races like healers, because those two classes are so vital.
    I know this is the case for lancers already, but brawler seems more forgiving with higher ping and lower skill.
  • Lancers can do very high dps. If you think they can't then you aren't a good lancer.
  • yeah, ask for ELIN EVERYTHING. SMH
  • MarkDRx wrote: »
    Lancers can do very high dps. If you think they can't then you aren't a good lancer.
    MarkDRx wrote: »
    Lancers can do very high dps. If you think they can't then you aren't a good lancer.

They can, but in order for that to happen, their party's dps need to be doing good damage, whereas brawlers actually do more damage the lower the bosses health so if the dps sucks a little, its actually a slight benefit to the brawler. Also, unlike brawler, lancer heavily relies on ping and block canceling to play the class at the competitive level.
  • AyiAyi ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    If you're having trouble queuing, just reroll Brawler and pretend you're a DPS class. You don't need to learn boss signals anyways.

Lucky for me, I haven't experienced any of these queue problems that you speak so much of.
    MarkDRx wrote: »

Lancers won't beat high tier DPS, but their DPS certainly isn't bad.
  • In the spirit of the holidays /Bing Crosby

I'm dreeeeaming of Death knights in Tera...so we can have fa-ster queue times...
  • I always liked tanking. Tanking in this game used to be fun. Then they started adding loads unblockable attacks. They give you this nice skill then start bypassing it. If you can hold aggro, you can tank better on a ninja than you can most tanks. Well Its not worth the aggravation. Much better to take a back seat as DPS and let the only tank class in the game, more less, brawlers, auto block everything and only worry about dodging.
  • Lancers have always been able to do high damage, however it's dependent on how good the party is. It also depends on the player's skill and if they have good ping lol.

There are also factors when it comes to finding tanks in game. The expectancy should always be that it's hard to find them since that is how it is always been.

-Game population has been pretty much dead for many months depending on which server you're in. Add along with some people being busy in real life and other things, people playing different classes in game, etc. Some of those things can contribute. Content in game has been lacking as well.

-With high or unstable ping, it's tough to be able to perform optimally and for a new player, it makes it harder for them to learn.

-Most tanks usually opt to join with their guildies or friends first for dungeons. The next resort is lfg. It's highly unlikely for tanks to use the IMS. Newer players tend to queue more than veteran players.

-New players who try tanking, yes there is such a steep curve. Those who can find a good guild and people to help them, will have better chance at succeeding than one who is not able to have those remedies. There are painful moments for a new learner but at some point they will improve. The thing is that not all players will take their time and try to improve, this also contributes as well. It depends how devoted that person is to the class they are playing. Some play for casual and others play like they want to master it. Big difference there when thinking about that.
  • The only times when I queued as tank were times when I accidentally pushed find group instead of completing vanguard quest. As DPS, I sometimes IM'ed because it's better to spend 10 minutes more in dungeon and DPS carry a bit than LFG 10 minutes more for tank and healer.

As a tank, I can't boost party dps that much and IM may take forever. LFG as tank is also pretty fast.

Not to mention that most LFGs in Tera take place in guild chats or Discord channels. Open community is becoming more toxin and trap, which forces even more decent players into these closed enclaves. This is what makes servers appear more empty than in reality.
  • I love my High Elf Female Lancer. No need for elins here, thanks.

Though I am taking a break at the moment due to the game mind numbing and stupid grind for better gear. I refuse to buy emeralds for a 70% chance to succeed at enchanting gear. That and elite is worthless once again.

Anyways, I liked to be a tank in the previous patch, it was fun tanking and learning the dungeons.... killing dakuryon or doing the most dps on him was always funny.

While I agree that there are less tanks, I have also seen ppl complaining to me for losing aggro, when the boss has a secondary aggro ring or when charging the top dps that does not happen to be me... Which made me wary of queueing. I prefer to play with guildmates or friends rather than to queue now.
  • DelusoDeluso ✭✭✭✭
    Did you says Elin Brawler? Where do I sign?