[PC] We will be entering into maintenance on 9/17 at 6am PDT, and have an expected downtime of 5 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance

Considering returning, but....

So I haven't played in a while. I know which servers are active etc, mostly because they've maintained being the most active. My question is more along the lines of gameplay itself.

Last time I played, the economy was total garbage and it seemed next to impossible to make any gold or get ahead without spending a buttload of money and just selling EMP due to most things having no vendor value and BoP items. Has this improved? I don't mind grinding thing to sell, as long as there's something to grind that can be sold.

Balance - Last I played was around the Ninja release, and the new classes overall were all OP. I don't want to be forced to be play a certain class in order to stand a chance in PvP, or to find groups.

In short, I loved TERA for the combat and mechanics, but as time went on it seemed to become nearly impossible to progress without spending a bunch of money on it. Not completely impossible, just infeasibly difficult. So that's mostly what I'm curious/concerned about.
«1

Comments

  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You technically can't focus grind things to sell anymore (because most upgrade mats are untradable now) but in exchange every single one of your vanguards gives alot more gold. The only real things that can be traded outside of event loot are gems and talents (the only tradable mat), which drop in surprising abundance this patch. You can get gems in midtier dungeons, Ghilleglade and the new solo dungeon Pit of Petrax, and tradable golden/silver talents in anywhere below high tier (which basically means that it is a material people can and should get on alts and what not) The system has completely changed which means you don't need to Masterwork your gear and +12 and reroll hundreds of times to get the roll you need because you can choose your rolls for free now. The only downside is that it takes a crazy longer time to gear up to BiS mostly because the gear cycle has now been extended to a full year instead of six months, although getting to a comparable level has never been easier.

    TL;DR: Not really much trading outside of some materials, gearing up has a complete new focus. Also don't expect to be BiS gear in a very short time compared to previous VMs. Expect yourself to put alot more effort in multiple places, and maybe you still need to spend money to be BiS but not all parties require BiS anyway.

    For balance-wise you are expected to still see Valkyrie at the top, but the disparity has been reduced a whole lot since the last time. Ninja is now at the complete bottom of the dps scale with Slayer, but the rest are surprisingly even and even as the two lowest classes you can get runs pretty easily.
  • I just came back a couple days ago after a two year break. It's fun breathing so much fresh TERA air!
    Just take it easy, play laid back and discover everything at your own pace. Go read patch notes so you generally know what's up.
    Class balance patches are being pushed out fairly regularly, and a lot changed since I left. Imo you have a better chance of defeating other people if you played the class they're playing yourself. There's no "op" class. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Gear always has a factor in your chances of course.

    Welcome back!
    And most importantly: Have fun! :smile:
  • HLK76PFWXTHLK76PFWXT ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Vallan wrote: »
    Last time I played, the economy was total garbage and it seemed next to impossible to make any gold or get ahead without spending a buttload of money and just selling EMP due to most things having no vendor value and BoP items. Has this improved? I don't mind grinding thing to sell, as long as there's something to grind that can be sold.
    .

    The economy is the same and it will never change for several reasons like the vanguard shop which is our bread and butter at level 65 not going to be updated in the next 3months... but even so at the very least BHS decided to change to gear progression so now it is much more easier and much more guaranteed to get and enchant gear unlike other times so its worth to give it a try and see how it goes..


  • I would disagree.

    You need to farm emeralds 1000 times more than before. Why? If you want to enchant Frostmetal, which is NOT best gear, you need them. Accessories need a boatload of item xp to have a "decent" upgrade %, and IT CAN FAIL. I got mine to 9,621 / 8100 and still 60% chance to succeed? yeah... no.

    Also, if you are new or, like the poster here, coming back after a long break, you are in for a mind numbing and stupidly boring long grind to "enchant" gear.

    I will agree that the idea behind was decent, the implementation is beyond moronic. You have to kill and run dungeons over and over to get some item xp and some materials to enchant gear, you may run the same boring dungeon 2 or 4 times a day and find you can't enchant gear just yet, cuz it can fail and you will kiss goodbye to those emeralds that dungeons do not drop at all.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Admittedly yeah the gear grind in this game is pretty steep after you cross from Twistshard, but Twistshard is 100% success chance with each level's max Gear XP, it only tapers off after you get into Frostmetal, but to be honest once you hit +0 Frost and get that extra stat line, you can honestly do the bulk of the end game content until you feel like throwing some dice and rolling for enchantment.

    Also consider that this new gear patch is explicitly designed to take a long time. We probably won't move past what we have now until fall 2018. That's a LOT of time to spend to get to Stormcry. I kind of like this new gear system because it emphasizes just playing the game over trying to blitzkrieg your way to max enchanted BIS gear, and I find myself idling for less time and simply running dungeons or dailies more.

    But I would strongly suggest getting into an active guild sooner than later. This gear system will be an absolute drag if you don't have people to just enjoy the game with. This is definitely not a solo player's patch, that's for sure.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerichow wrote: »
    Admittedly yeah the gear grind in this game is pretty steep after you cross from Twistshard, but Twistshard is 100% success chance with each level's max Gear XP, it only tapers off after you get into Frostmetal, but to be honest once you hit +0 Frost and get that extra stat line, you can honestly do the bulk of the end game content until you feel like throwing some dice and rolling for enchantment.

    Also consider that this new gear patch is explicitly designed to take a long time. We probably won't move past what we have now until fall 2018. That's a LOT of time to spend to get to Stormcry. I kind of like this new gear system because it emphasizes just playing the game over trying to blitzkrieg your way to max enchanted BIS gear, and I find myself idling for less time and simply running dungeons or dailies more.

    But I would strongly suggest getting into an active guild sooner than later. This gear system will be an absolute drag if you don't have people to just enjoy the game with. This is definitely not a solo player's patch, that's for sure.

    Gettin labeled 100% success chance wont mean you have it garantued.

    I already failed and attemp in enchanting at 100% success chance so I wonder what does really mean in-game that number.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    Gettin labeled 100% success chance wont mean you have it garantued.

    Then something is broken. If it fails at 100% success chance then something in the game code needs to be fixed and updated.

    I've geared up a handful of characters on 100% success chances and never failed once, so I'm not sure what astronomically low chance it has to fail but I haven't seen it happen in the 100+ times I rolled on gear.
  • edited December 2017
    When we had past threads about this, the insinuation was that there might have been confusion between 100% Item XP and 100% success chance, and I don't think anyone had yet posted visual evidence of a failed attempt with indicated 100% success chance. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but in previous threads about this, there was still a fair bit of doubt.

    In the event that it did happen, I would assume it's some issue with rounding in the UI.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we had past threads about this, the insinuation was that there might have been confusion between 100% Item XP and 100% success chance, and I don't think anyone had yet posted visual evidence of a failed attempt with indicated 100% success chance. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but in previous threads about this, there was still a fair bit of doubt.

    In the event that it did happen, I would assume it's some issue with rounding in the UI.

    Look at one thread I made, I posted the log of enchanting for a piece of gear. That gear had 100% chances of success, you can always try to get that piece gear and look its enchanting success rate at +7 plus the +3% you get from Tera rewards.

    I assume all the enchanting system is the same for all gear so if one piece of gear can fail at 100% you will at somepoint experience this once.

    25NicSU.jpg

    I think it wont take you more than 20 minutes to verify what I said looking at that picture.
  • edited December 2017
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    Look at one thread I made, I posted the log of enchanting for a piece of gear. That gear had 100% chances of success, you can always try to get that piece gear and look its enchanting success rate at +7 plus the +3% you get from Tera rewards.
    Well... just to be sure, the +3% from TERA Rewards isn't actually a flat increase on the final total. So even if it says 97% and you think "oh I have +3% from TERA Rewards"... it doesn't actually add up to 100%. (It's already included in the total you see on-screen.)

    I will try to find your other thread to look at the log you say you posted. I remembered the percentage for this item to be less than 100% when enchanting it on my gunner not long ago.
  • CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I just did this--at +7 the percent chance drops below 100%. It's I think 92%, so you were extremely unlucky (as was I by the way).

    +7 --> +8 Pixie tube is not 100% chance.
  • Catservant wrote: »
    Actually, I just did this--at +7 the percent chance drops below 100%. It's I think 92%, so you were extremely unlucky (as was I by the way).

    +7 --> +8 Pixie tube is not 100% chance.

    I just checked here too -- it's 95% to go from +7 to +8, and then 87.5% to go from +8 to +9. If you have +3% TERA Rewards, it'd be 98% and 90.5%... but there's still a chance.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    Look at one thread I made, I posted the log of enchanting for a piece of gear. That gear had 100% chances of success, you can always try to get that piece gear and look its enchanting success rate at +7 plus the +3% you get from Tera rewards.
    Well... just to be sure, the +3% from TERA Rewards isn't actually a flat increase on the final total. So even if it says 97% and you think "oh I have +3% from TERA Rewards"... it doesn't actually add up to 100%. (It's already included in the total you see on-screen.)

    I will try to find your other thread to look at the log you say you posted. I remembered the percentage for this item to be less than 100% when enchanting it on my gunner not long ago.
    Catservant wrote: »
    Actually, I just did this--at +7 the percent chance drops below 100%. It's I think 92%, so you were extremely unlucky (as was I by the way).

    +7 --> +8 Pixie tube is not 100% chance.
    Catservant wrote: »
    Actually, I just did this--at +7 the percent chance drops below 100%. It's I think 92%, so you were extremely unlucky (as was I by the way).

    +7 --> +8 Pixie tube is not 100% chance.

    I just checked here too -- it's 95% to go from +7 to +8, and then 87.5% to go from +8 to +9. If you have +3% TERA Rewards, it'd be 98% and 90.5%... but there's still a chance.

    I didnt take a picture before enchanting because I didnt expect that to happen but my chances of succes were 100% yet still failed.
  • ElinUsagi wrote: »
    I didnt take a picture before enchanting because I didnt expect that to happen but my chances of succes were 100% yet still failed.
    It could have been a glitch in the UI I suppose (a delay in updating?). The base chance is 95% so even with max TERA Rewards, you can't get it to 100% that way.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    I didnt take a picture before enchanting because I didnt expect that to happen but my chances of succes were 100% yet still failed.
    It could have been a glitch in the UI I suppose (a delay in updating?). The base chance is 95% so even with max TERA Rewards, you can't get it to 100% that way.

    A glitch on the UI would be the most logical reason of this, that would explain also the complains from other players about failing with 100% chance of success.
Sign In or Register to comment.