Little personal consideration of Tera NA vs EU at this moment.

Comments

• @Arwen

Please... JUST GO TO EU THEN.

Holy jesus. You guys whined when mongos gave free mats to get easy +15. EU gives Frostmetal and you cry to EME "why don't we get this!"

You guys whined about argon giving easy mats and dragons. EU gives a dragon and you cry "why don't we get this!"

Just.

Go.

To.

EU.

Ah... I think to be fair to those looking at EU servers, there are times when we do events that they don't... and vice versa. I can't blame anyone for taking the best and more exciting elements from another region and comparing it to the full scope of the region they're currently playing. In other words, try to be open even if you disagree. I don't think there are too many people are out there who play so much TERA in multiple regions that they can speak for both playerbases simultaneously.

For our part, when we see something cool in another region the first thing we ask ourselves is if it's possible to do in our region as well - if it works with our timelines - what we can prioritize. I think the Manahan server could be really cool (let's pay attention and see how it goes). Admittedly sometimes we get so wrapped up in planning our own NA events, we get excited about our own future projects, and it can get difficult keeping track of the full scope of world-wide TERA (I don't know how the Bluehole crew handles it as well as they do sometimes). The regions will always be different in various ways because as publishers we try to cater to a local crowd of gamers who have varying expectations.
  • >Whole thread talking about how NA needs to step up their game
    >Spacecats completely ignores this and talks about costumes
    >Bring back Tonka
  • MargaretheMargarethe ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Spacecats wrote: »
    Ardire wrote: »
    whole thread about EU's events

eme swoops in: hey guys COSTUMES1!!!111 HAAh COSTUUUUMES!!!!

choke

Honestly there are a lot of different topics going in this thread. Sorry if that wasn't one of the answers you were looking for I'm just personally excited about those costumes. :p

@Spacecats at the moment.
    KDmXKk2.jpg
  • Piltover wrote: »
    >Whole thread talking about how NA needs to step up their game
    >Bring back Tonka
    Acendia wrote: »
    If any of you think GF Tera is doing better, look at this.
    fXSU7bq.png

This is a buff you get on the new oPqc1y7.png event server if you pay for the subscription. This buff lets you one-shot dungeon bosses even with a priest. This buff let people reach lvl 65 in less than 2 hours of the servers coming up.
    This event was cancer, and the items Arwen mentioned were indeed for only 7 days.

With events like this, there's nothing to step up over.
    I'm gonna be honest, I was planning on migrating to EU Tera because the event server sounded like fun and a good chance to enter the game. Except now I already uninstalled the EU Tera and will never ever touch it again no matter what they do.
  • ChidoChido ✭✭✭
    Piltover wrote: »
    >Whole thread talking about how NA needs to step up their game
    >Bring back Tonka

spacecats is not the being that decides what gets implemented. He simply relays what he deems as good and possible ideas to the Tera crew. He cant say "thats [filtered] awesome lets do it" and the have to make an announcement how he got shot down.
  • NoctivNoctiv ✭✭✭
    Repost because I edited typos and the post was sent to the void of a comment approval system that DOES NOT FUNCTION.
    @Arwen

Please... JUST GO TO EU THEN.

Holy jesus. You guys whined when mongos gave free mats to get easy +15. EU gives Frostmetal and you cry to EME "why don't we get this!"

You guys whined about argon giving easy mats and dragons. EU gives a dragon and you cry "why don't we get this!"

Just.

Go.

To.

EU.

Ah... I think to be fair to those looking at EU servers, there are times when we do events that they don't... and vice versa. I can't blame anyone for taking the best and more exciting elements from another region and comparing it to the full scope of the region they're currently playing. In other words, try to be open even if you disagree. I don't think there are too many people are out there who play so much TERA in multiple regions that they can speak for both playerbases simultaneously.

For our part, when we see something cool in another region the first thing we ask ourselves is if it's possible to do in our region as well - if it works with our timelines - what we can prioritize. I think the Manahan server could be really cool (let's pay attention and see how it goes). Admittedly sometimes we get so wrapped up in planning our own NA events, we get excited about our own future projects, and it can get difficult keeping track of the full scope of world-wide TERA (I don't know how the Bluehole crew handles it as well as they do sometimes). The regions will always be different in various ways because as publishers we try to cater to a local crowd of gamers who have varying expectations.

Okay let me rattle off the events I can recall off the top of my head.
    Argons in like August? I didn't care for the rigid time periods where things COULD spawn, it was like an attempt to be random inside constraints, which doesn't give you a random feeling, while also being restrictive. Indifferent besides that fact. Others may consider it a flood of resources, some liked it. Definitely killed the laser weapon skin prices for a good long while.
    Halloween - I don't think Halloween had an event other than the candy shooters that happen every year. No new loot for that.
    Extra Life - triple drop + levelling events. Extra Life always brings out the most extravagant events because of the charity goals. This is good and bad. Everything else is dwarfed by these events. Also putting all the events on one weekend did not feel great. Some things were just too good to pass up to do the other options. AKA triple drop > levelling.
    TRNM/HM Dungeon Highlight - the one that was mostly considered a failure due to poor communication through news post and random aspect to bonus loot.
    Gunner levelling I guess. How much planning went into this when the only item that was distributed was messed up.
    Weekend bonus box/AFK event. If planning went into this, EME really needs to reconsider what planning means.
    Sale "events" - mostly same stuff every year.
    Wintera and Fat Santas - all that needs to be planned is loot.

I'm sure there was an event or two I missed, but they obviously weren't memorable.

Compare the planning that would have to go into the EU Manahan server to the planning that goes into our NA events. I really hope all your time isn't wrapped up into our events because that would be pretty sad.
    The regions will always be different in various ways because as publishers we try to cater to a local crowd of gamers who have varying expectations.
    Also going to address this one specifically. If you haven't been paying attention to the forums, people have been asking for more EU-like events beyond just this one for the last few months. Your local crowd of gamers are expressing what, I hope you listen and cater to us.
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Noctiv wrote: »
    Also going to address this one specifically. If you haven't been paying attention to the forums, people have been asking for more EU-like events beyond just this one for the last few months. Your local crowd of gamers are expressing what, I hope you listen and cater to us.
    I think each event has to be carefully considered. I actually spent a fair bit of time studying the design of EU events in the past, and sometimes there's a "be careful what you wish for" aspect to them -- for instance, a cash shop "gotcha" element, time-limited rewards, appearance of prizes being available but really being hidden behind a massive pay-walled grind, and so on. (You could argue even this test server... they only give you one free transfer off the island...)

I think the main thing is to focus on the parts of the events that are good and to make even better events. Obviously, the biggest point of this thread is that people want to feel like EME "cares again", and they think back to years ago when there was a team of three full-time staff just focused on TERA NA community, which clearly isn't the case now. An experimental server does provide some more potential leeway to play around with things without worrying about things breaking with the next patch, so it's an interesting strategy. (They did this before with the Tournament server they setup a few years back.) But now it just needs a critical look to figure out what parts of it were hits, and what parts were misses.
  • Noctiv wrote: »
    Compare the planning that would have to go into the EU Manahan server to the planning that goes into our NA events. I really hope all your time isn't wrapped up into our events because that would be pretty sad.

It's not clear how much time and planning goes into an event like this but admittedly I'm often surprised at the amount of consideration required for TERA events, whether they end up being universally liked or not. The closest thing we can compare it to at EME is the Wonderholme server we ran earlier this year. In any case I would never belittle Gameforge's work efforts - I hope the event turns out well!
  • aaa
    I think each event has to be carefully considered. I actually spent a fair bit of time studying the design of EU events in the past, and sometimes there's a "be careful what you wish for" aspect to them -- for instance, a cash shop "gotcha" element, time-limited rewards, appearance of prizes being available but really being hidden behind a massive pay-walled grind, and so on. (You could argue even this test server... they only give you one free transfer off the island...)

I think the main thing is to focus on the parts of the events that are good and to make even better events. Obviously, the biggest point of this thread is that people want to feel like EME "cares again", and they think back to years ago when there was a team of three full-time staff just focused on TERA NA community, which clearly isn't the case now. An experimental server does provide some more potential leeway to play around with things without worrying about things breaking with the next patch, so it's an interesting strategy. (They did this before with the Tournament server they setup a few years back.) But now it just needs a critical look to figure out what parts of it were hits, and what parts were misses.

Do you feel that EME cares? What is your opinion of the state of pvp rn counterpoint.

It's not clear how much time and planning goes into an event like this but admittedly I'm often surprised at the amount of consideration required for TERA events, whether they end up being universally liked or not. The closest thing we can compare it to at EME is the Wonderholme server we ran earlier this year. In any case I would never belittle Gameforge's work efforts - I hope the event turns out well!

EME feeling like politicians lately. Little to no transparency, only making comments where they look good, like costumes!
  • DSU was one of the best end game dgs ever. If Na can get it as an event i personally know like 6 ppl that would come back to the game just for that event. Its a no brainer, try to get it, bc itll be the best thing you could ever do
  • StarSpriteStarSprite ✭✭✭✭
    JXE5356AKE wrote: »

Do you feel that EME cares? What is your opinion of the state of pvp rn counterpoint.

It's well known pvp is in a [filtered] state. A lot of adjustments need to be made by bhs and eme for things to significantly improve. This has been brought up by Lucky and myself numerous times. Not sure the need to question counterpoint about it.
  • For that wonderholme server example. I can imagine the amount of effort that would of went into changing the value of exp rate increase(which is a normal server event), turning on hyper rapid fire(which is a semi regular server event) and updating that one shop in the entire server RvJjavH.jpg. That would of taken months of planning i can tell. Honestly i would of been racking my brain over that. Not to mention summoning bams occasionally that dropped salt as a joke even though the items and characters were going to be wiped, wouldn't want to throw the economy out of balance in a test server. But you know that EU server is giving people heaps of stuff AND they are allowed to transfer one character. but what do i know, i've only been playing the game for 3 years.
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    It's off-topic, but I feel that BHS doesn't want PvP to be anything more than a casual pass-time (the way it's always been perceived in Korea). Unless you solve that, publishers like EME would be constantly fighting an uphill battle they can never truly win. That's the real battle that would need to be fought to "save PvP" now, even if they were able to bring back a PvP tournament somehow, and I feel like they already lost the war when BHS doubled-down refocusing on K-TERA after the Steam momentum fizzled off in NA.

So my answer is basically "it's complicated." I don't think the problem is literally not caring, but both manpower and politics (the first of which is also politics, to some extent). This is not trying to make an excuse for this or any other issue, but that's how I see it. I wish every issue were as simple as "if you cared more, you'd get it done." Doesn't mean people should stop putting pressure on it, though.

(Nevertheless, caring aside, I think EME needs to do more and communicate more. There's no question in my mind they've been distracted, and the staffing situation hasn't helped.)

Xristosx wrote: »
    For that wonderholme server example. I can imagine the amount of effort that would of went into changing the value of exp rate increase(which is a normal server event), turning on hyper rapid fire(which is a semi regular server event) and updating that one shop in the entire server.

The IT staff configuring the server infrastructure in a different cloud environment, and putting systems in place to gather and evaluate the test metrics to measure server and datacenter performance, was the real work there. Of course nobody cares about the behind the scenes stuff, but sometimes that's what actually makes something a lot of work.
  • ArwenArwen ✭✭✭
    Acendia wrote: »
    If any of you think GF Tera is doing better, look at this.
    fXSU7bq.png

This is a buff you get on the new oPqc1y7.png event server if you pay for the subscription. This buff lets you one-shot dungeon bosses even with a priest. This buff let people reach lvl 65 in less than 2 hours of the servers coming up.
    This event was cancer, and the items Arwen mentioned were indeed for only 7 days.

That buff was only 10 minutes long. I doubt you could do much on that timelapse.
    lightup wrote: »
    All those items are 7 day gifts from the GF leveling event on the event server. You do get permanent rewards from the event but those are not permanent.

They are available until 11 Jan. 2018, at least this is what is wrote on my pet, mount etc.
    That is the date when the server closes and you choose if whether you transfer that respective char or not.
    There are more details on the google doc.
  • StarSprite wrote: »

It's well known pvp is in a [filtered] state. A lot of adjustments need to be made by bhs and eme for things to significantly improve. This has been brought up by Lucky and myself numerous times. Not sure the need to question counterpoint about it.

I'd agree it was somewhat off topic, I apologize. But it is interesting to see other opinions other than just the two PC members that pvp. As I'm sure you're very aware yourself, the PC isn't not a homogenous group that share the same ideas. It was also more as an example to "EME caring."
This discussion has been closed.