There will be a TERA PC Maintenance on Thursday (3/01) from 8-11 p.m. PST

Constructive Feedback for EME in Regards to Tera

Comments

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    30-90 Days

1: Elite Status Update

This has been an ongoing topic for a long time now, and I’m going to touch up on this subject once more - A lot of these ideas I’ve seen in the forums and agree with.

Remove the Gold Boost for a Gear XP boost. If not permanent, then make it like the gold boost, you get 12 of them, each for 1 hour and is just a simple right-click on the Elite Bar. This alone would bring Elite status a good leap forward back into the current game’s relevancy, and give people a LOT more reason to spend money on Elite every month.

Update and improve the daily login rewards. I’m not going to lie, I’ve been playing a ton of Warframe lately and something I noticed was that for EVERY PLAYER, not just Prime Access players, but for literally every single person that logs into the game each day - they get a daily item.

Now I’m not going to do a Tera vs Warframe post but there are some glaring similarities between these two games that I think Tera can take ideas from to improve itself.

Namely - the daily rewards need to be updated. Remove useless rolls like the 5 Gold Talents, or 300 Metamorphic Emblems. These are the people providing you a constant revenue stream every month - 5 Gold Talents for a daily login crate is actually pretty insulting.

Doubly so when I log into Warframe and get something like a 50% off coupon to their store for the next 48 hours. So I have two days where I can choose one thing out of *nearly everything* in their store to buy, and I can buy it at half off, be it with in-game credits, or their premium currency.

That is insanely awesome. Something like that would HIGHLY encourage people to purchase something in your store. I’ll admit right now I sank money into the game in my first 48 hours BECAUSE I got one of those, and I’ll probably do it again when I get another one later.

Items like these, and things like a Gear XP buff (if not implemented into the elite bar) or item drop rate buffs for a day would be HUGE boosts to the rewards offered by the daily elite boxes and would make having Elite a LOT more enticing. You can also make them non-tradeable so the people who have 900 elite boxes don’t destroy the economy overnight, just to be safe.

2: Vanguard Update

The Vanguard store is in a bad spot right now, that’s no mystery to anyone. So here are some ideas I have to help repair this system with a lot of potential:

Update the Entropic Box to drop 32-64 Entropic Emblems - as it stands right now this box is basically useless given its price. Updating what is rewarded by these is a good first step to giving people something worth spending their credits on.

Also, update the Consumables Boon Box to include other consumables:
    - Health Potions (50% ones, not the ones you buy at the shop).
    - Mana Elixirs
    - Valiant Potions (75% HP in 15s ones)
    - Noctenium Infusions
    - Noctenium Elixirs (of both kinds)
    - Travel Journals

Basically make it what its name is - a box that will give you a random amount of a random consumable item. This change would make them a much more enticing offer if I knew I could get some Nocteniums in them, or if I could get an Elixir or other consumables besides just what we have now.

Update the ‘bonus’ items you get when opening boxes like the Entropic Emblem box to include some of the above items, while at the same time, please remove the old outdated Cruxes like the boss damage, or minion damage cruxes. This should have been done a long time ago, so as just a “let’s finally get this out of the way” bit - I would love to see these useless crystals removed finally.

Add a new item to the Vanguard shop:

Name: Gem Box
    Cost: 400 credits
    What is it: Gives 1-5 of a random gem (3 Rubies minimum, 5 emeralds or 1 diamond max)

This pretty much instantly solves two or three problems. It solves the issue with not having enough gems in the game for upgrading. It solves giving people something worth grinding Vanguard points for, and allows some players with less cash to exchange credits for an item to sell for gold (let’s face it, upgrading in this patch is crazy gold intensive).

Another thing you could do to help expand the Vanguard shop’s utility is allow people to buy Dyad Niveot Structures from the crystal merchant - they won’t be cheap, let’s say…. 1000 credits a pop? So if you bought one with three Niveots that should be in the ballpark of ~2000 credits per Dyad, and even then you still have to pray to RNGeezus that it’s a dyad you actually want?

I don’t see a problem with this since Dyad structures can’t be sold on broker or traded, and their rarity and that they are basically BIS crystals means they shouldn’t be a cheap and easy thing to acquire. Doing this offers players a way to get Dyad Niveot Structures for their gear without having to rely on Crystal Boxes, and removes at least that level of RNG from the game.

Lastly I want to touch up on Daily Vanguard Rewards -

They’re pretty ‘meh’ right now, and I thing diversifying them would help give players more incentive to run dungeons, rather than just knocking out 8-16 rounds of Basilisks every day with their alts.

The concept is simple - Have different kinds of rewards for 3 and 8 completed tasks.

You’ll have your basic 3 and 8 completed daily rewards that do not change.

However, you will also now have two new options:

3 and 8 completed IoD rewards - This offers you some basic materials like Talents, gold, and/or gems for upgrading. That’s the main focus of why you’re on IOD anyway, so it makes sense to keep those rewards in line with that.

3 and 8 completed dungeon rewards - This offers you a good bit more gold and materials, but also offers you higher tier materials - like at 8 dungeon runs, you would get some Emeralds, gold, and gold talents. It seems like a lot, but consider you just ran through eight dungeons.

How much of what you’d get varies, and could be determined at a later date, but that’s the general concept. Allow people to get rewards specific to their playstyle, and reward them more for investing more time into the game.

That’s all I have for now, sorry it’s not quite as polished as the last post but I didn’t have as much time to write it this time. If you made it this far, I thank you for your time and look forward to reading what you guys have to say about any of this.
  • FRSTYFRSTY ✭✭
    More nice and detailed Feedback that will be “moved up to -whoever-” and then be forgotten about once again. One can only hope, pray, and dream.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    FRSTY wrote: »
    More nice and detailed Feedback that will be “moved up to -whoever-” and then be forgotten about once again. One can only hope, pray, and dream.

We could try to keep this thread alive and those who like the idea from OP give a like.
  • MargaretheMargarethe ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

We could try to keep this thread alive and those who like the idea from OP give a like.

Indeed.
    People seem to forget that giving a simple like to a thread/post will give the opinion/idea support.
    Might even be more effective than writing on the thread itself.
  • Jordansb1Jordansb1 ✭✭✭
    Margarethe wrote: »
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

Indeed.
    People seem to forget that giving a simple like to a thread/post will give the opinion/idea support.
    Might even be more effective than writing on the thread itself.

Just passing this along and hope that others do the same:

I hardly post on the forums anymore and I stopped playing the game months ago. That said, there are changes that were mentioned in the game that would make me play again, and so I've given a like to the posts that give good suggestions and posted this comment on the thread.

Even if your comment isn't technically useful please comment so we can keep this thread alive. I want to show BHS and EME that the playerbase cares about the game. Yes, even if you're angry in the direction the game has been going, please comment something, because being angry simply means that we care. As soon as we stop caring, the game will die for real.
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    For the recent posts, I agree with some of the 30-90 day ideas (though whether they're actually 30-90 days, I don't know), but I feel that a lot of the 0-30 day ideas are... well, really subjective. For example, while I respect that some people really had an emotional attachment to campfires, and as an optional cosmetic it doesn't hurt anyone... I'm still not sure I'd put that first on any list. And likewise, I understand that some people liked having the huge variety of potion/bandage choices, but the streamlined system does have its merits too (which, although people won't care, make a bit more sense when you play the console build). It's like I said before with the original Island of Dawn example -- there are good aspects to it (particularly in its original state), but the way it was before it was removed was also pretty bad.

Basically, I feel like some of the ideas are more about bringing back the past (nostalgia?) than looking critically at the features' merits (and demerits) to find better ways to address the underlying needs and problems. If you asked me literally if I wanted all these exact changes and thought that would make the game better... it's about 50/50 for me, honestly. Of course it would be -- part of this is about personal preferences. But as a starting point for a potential conversation about things some people liked about the past and would like to see reconsidered, it makes sense.

Anyway, just as one point of order...
    Jerichow wrote: »
    Update and improve the daily login rewards. I’m not going to lie, I’ve been playing a ton of Warframe lately and something I noticed was that for EVERY PLAYER, not just Prime Access players, but for literally every single person that logs into the game each day - they get a daily item.

Our calendar serves this purpose. Elite members get a second daily item through the gift box. Maybe both of these could be improved more, but as it stands everyone does get a daily item.
  • FRSTYFRSTY ✭✭
    @counterpoint
    I know you have some things you would love to see change/implemented into the game, and once again it's not your job to do so, but I feel like it would help, not only by keeping the thread alive, but also even more feedback, so please I encourage you to share those ideas. I would personally love to read what you have in mind in the hope of pushing TERA forward.
    edited January 9
    @counterpoint
    I know you have some things you would love to see change/implemented into the game, and once again it's not your job to do so, but I feel like it would help, not only by keeping the thread alive, but also even more feedback, so please I encourage you to share those ideas. I would personally love to read what you have in mind in the hope of pushing TERA forward.

There are other things I'd personally want for my own enjoyment, but in terms of pushing TERA forward in our region:

1. Make PvP a "first class citizen" alongside PvE in gear progression, and fully support/encourage the PvP community with PvP-specific balance changes, initiatives, and tournaments.
    2. Re-introduce competitive PvE aspects both native to the game and through events to encourage the community through content droughts. (Also, closely monitor for K-TERA content droughts and introduce timely new content to fill the gap.)
    3. Add a true "level sync" system, allowing level 65 players to party with low-level players to complete dungeons/content, increasing the potential for cooperative PvE play with new players.
    4. Eliminate talents in K-TERA and implement the same buffs via a different system (or as part of an existing system) that is accessible to all regions (so there is no perception of "preferential treatment" in class balance).
    5. Have a constant stream of small events running in the game all the time (such as various boosts, spawn events, featured content, etc.), rather than relying so much on "big deal" events that might be flops. (Though keep doing occasional "big deal" events also.)
    6. Further improve the gearing system to reduce the impact of RNG, allowing a definitive "fail-safe" that is reasonable for each gear tier.
    7. Finally finish the revamp of all in-game merchants (fashion coupons, vanguard, buddy up, reward emporium, etc.) and regularly introduce new items going forward to keep things interesting. (i.e. Don't allow things to fall this far behind again.)
    8. Closer monitoring of broker prices when determining event rewards, and closer attention to balance of prize awarding, to maintain a better sense of "worth" of event prizes for dedicated and new players alike.
    9. Change TERA Rewards so that all in-game actions that reward points also give corresponding credits, and make it so that Elite players earn rewards/credits at a higher rate (double?).
    10. Have continuous and constantly-rotating Elite Discounts on the cash shop every day/week.
    11. Since eliminating cash shop lootboxes is unlikely, require all lootboxes to have posted odds and an absolute failure cap.
    12. Regular and on-going meetings with Player Council to create a constant feedback loop, with tracking of delivered improvements and measurable results.
    13. Find/hire regular forum moderators who can monitor the forum on weekends/evenings/holidays for any forum or in-game issues, and trigger appropriate staff action as needed.

Of course, these are just my opinions, and I'm sure that some of them people won't agree with. (It's also off the top of my head, so I'm sure I missed some.) And I'm also not trying to make this a competition of who has the better opinions on how to improve TERA either. Everyone has their own things that are important to them and will help their own enjoyment of the game, and they're not wrong whether I personally agree or not.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    6. Further improve the gearing system to reduce the impact of RNG, allowing a definitive "fail-safe" that is reasonable for each gear tier.

The only thing about this would be to remove the rng loots on dungeons and allow the players to get the same loot for each one who cleared the dungeon.

The gear revamp system would be better if we wouldnt have to rely on RNG to get the enchanting mat we need from a dungeon designed to get them.
  • @papy10k this is so true, I love the game and I want to save it so bad. I used to be the GM of 3 guilds all full of active players before the Guilded Age patch and now I'm in a guild of 4 active players and we are the 79th guild in the server. It has become very hard to keep players interested in the game because the grind just went to a whole new level. Players come to Tera to have fun and right now as things stand having fun is a rare thing to find.
  • VanellopeVanellope ✭✭✭
    I wish they would show some love to the long-time players, as with the WH re-release a while ago. Having old dungeons from the golden days come back for a limited time would be nice, assuming that they do it right (unlike the WH re-release) meaning that mechanics and bosses get properly buffed for the power creep and they don't add teleportals that allow you to skip half of the content.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭
    @counterpoint - Everything is subjective. I don't care for PVP myself so anything to do with fixing it, to me, is usually stuff I gloss over, and any major updates to it go hardly noticed by me or the people I play with.

I started with Campfires not because I was going from most important to least important, but because it's more like I was going from easiest/quickest fixes to the harder, longer-term fixes that take longer. I just happened to start with campfires first because it was the first thing that came to mind when I thought, "What would be a quick and easy thing to work on, to make a lot of older players smile, or be even a little happier about?"

That's also why it was considered a quality of life change, along with the potions. It's nothing game-breaking but the fact is the potions we have now are pretty underwhelming when you need a decent boost right away, or want HP/MP over time.

I was also going over things that can be worked on sooner than later that don't take large reworks to achieve. Start small, fixing little things as you go about working on the larger ones.

1. Make PvP a "first class citizen" alongside PvE in gear progression, and fully support/encourage the PvP community with PvP-specific balance changes, initiatives, and tournaments.

Making PVP a "first class citizen" thing is going to take a lot more work than re-implementing features into the game that were taken out before that didn't help anything by BEING taken out.

2. Re-introduce competitive PvE aspects both native to the game and through events to encourage the community through content droughts. (Also, closely monitor for K-TERA content droughts and introduce timely new content to fill the gap.)

I remember a long while back dungeons like BRNM had a scoring system in them - I wouldn't mind seeing this be brought back and some level of reward be given either on an individual, or guild-level basis. Aside from this, implementing features like this will take several months and require a dedicated effort of BHS to accomplish.

3. Add a true "level sync" system, allowing level 65 players to party with low-level players to complete dungeons/content, increasing the potential for cooperative PvE play with new players.

Again, this will take BHS having to code an entirely new system into the game, though it is an awesome idea and I'd love to see it one day.

4. Eliminate talents in K-TERA and implement the same buffs via a different system (or as part of an existing system) that is accessible to all regions (so there is no perception of "preferential treatment" in class balance).

Agreed, either remove Talents from KTera or integrate it into all regions. This preferential treatment is garbage and is a huge slap in the face to every non-korean region of the world. I love the concept of the talents system, but everything else I've seen is.... underwhelming or downright irritating.

5. Have a constant stream of small events running in the game all the time (such as various boosts, spawn events, featured content, etc.), rather than relying so much on "big deal" events that might be flops. (Though keep doing occasional "big deal" events also.)

I would agree with this other than the idea - except I worry that people will eventually get used to always having some sort of event or another going, and once things slow down, or events stop being completely regular, people are going to have a similar reaction to how we do when dungeons get removed - they will feel like chunks of the game are getting removed.

I agree, but disagree with this. Frankly I'm alright with the current existing gearing system - excluding of course the GearXP only allowing you a certain percent success chance despite reaching the '100%' XP limit for each level. If 100% GearXP = 100% Enchant/Upgrade chance, I wouldn't find a fault in the existing system. Yes, later levels like later Frostmetal and Stormcry take a lot of material to Enchant, but they take a good while to get to 100% XP too. And no, I don't believe that casual players will grind to the same level more seasoned veteran players will - casuals run a couple dungeons a day, if that. By time they reach 100% XP, they would have already had time to accrue enough money and materials for upgrading.

7. Finally finish the revamp of all in-game merchants (fashion coupons, vanguard, buddy up, reward emporium, etc.) and regularly introduce new items going forward to keep things interesting. (i.e. Don't allow things to fall this far behind again.)

Agreed, shops and reasons to grind all need an update, and while I'd like them sooner than later, as anyone would, I expect that a complete revamp/overhaul of all of these systems is going to take a long time. It would definitely go into the 90+ day category. Adding to this though, I'd like to see the Reputation shops get an upgrade and be brought back into relevancy. I've been playing for over two years and don't think I've ever really sat down to grind one of those other than one single time in Kanstria to get an item that I later was able to just make on my own.

8. Closer monitoring of broker prices when determining event rewards, and closer attention to balance of prize awarding, to maintain a better sense of "worth" of event prizes for dedicated and new players alike.

Yeah, the events can be fun but when you see someone hoarding 1000+ catalysts for a Kyra's open-world event, it's pretty infuriating. I think that's why EME made some of the events limited to dungeons only, as a way to firewall things like that from happening. If anything, I'd like to see a sort of currency system where you can grind up catalysts and then use them to purchase items outright - or choose to gamble them to win items at a huge discount. Bungie found out the hard way that grinding for RNG rewards isn't as effective as letting people just grind up a currency to be able to purchase the items they want, and I think EME can learn a lot from the mistakes Bungie and EA are making lately, as EME themselves are loosely following in the same footsteps.

10. Change TERA Rewards so that all in-game actions that reward points also give corresponding credits, and make it so that Elite players earn rewards/credits at a higher rate (double?).

I too would like this - the Tera Rewards system is good in concept, but only alienated a ton of players who didn't just fork over stacks of cash. Something like this along with a Rewards Emporium update would go a long way in making that entire feature actually relevant to players.

10. Have continuous and constantly-rotating Elite Discounts on the cash shop every day/week.

This would be nice - Discounts in the store for Elite Members would definitely give a very credible and real benefit to being an Elite member. I would honestly think having monthly updates would probably be a more manageable method, and would give an allowance of time to some people with less money time to actually save up in order to get what they want, rather than feel rushed to pull out their wallets for fear of losing out.

11. Since eliminating cash shop lootboxes is unlikely, require all lootboxes to have posted odds and an absolute failure cap.

Definitely - With the posts on the forums of people buying hundreds upon hundreds of dollars in lootboxes, only to get one, or none of an item, actually seeing what the odds are would be a huge step forward in EME's claim of transparency with the community. Not to mention lootboxes without % success chances for the primary advertised item is largely seen as gambling, even if developers try to do the political two-step and play the verbatim/semantics game about how every lootbox gives items. People buy the lootboxes for the advertised item - knowing what chances of success may lower the amount people buy, but it would go a LONG WAY in fostering a much better outlook that the community has towards EME. And that in and of itself would return a profit by not making players feel cheated or lied to, so they will stay with the game longer, and naturally, spend more money.

I also think adding a more expensive smartbox for that item for people to just outright avoid the lootbox ordeal entirely would also be an extremely positive thing for EME to do in the wake of all of this lootbox backlash going about. I know for a fact there are a few items in the store that I want but refuse to buy through lootboxes - having to pay a bit more to just buy the item outright would definitely encourage me to spend money I otherwise never would (doubly so if there's an elite discount or store discount applied... parting me from my money would be much easier in a situation like that, EME...)

12. Regular and on-going meetings with Player Council to create a constant feedback loop, with tracking of delivered improvements and measurable results.

Absolutely - Players want to know what's going on. This is our game too, so we want to know if ideas are actually being listened to by not just EME but BHS too. Not to mention consistent meetings would do absolute wonders in allowing people, namely the player council members, to calm concerns or hot topics with the community before things blow up like they have recently.

13. Find/hire regular forum moderators who can monitor the forum on weekends/evenings/holidays for any forum or in-game issues, and trigger appropriate staff action as needed.

This would definitely help, the last thing we need is for EME to pull a Bungie and go on a three week hiatus with zero word while things are broken and in complete disarray.
    Just FWIW...
    Jerichow wrote: »
    Frankly I'm alright with the current existing gearing system - excluding of course the GearXP only allowing you a certain percent success chance despite reaching the '100%' XP limit for each level. If 100% GearXP = 100% Enchant/Upgrade chance, I wouldn't find a fault in the existing system.

That's basically what I meant by a fail-safe. The system is close to providing it already, but dials it back for the higher-tier gear so it's back to RNG again. So they have it within their means to address this, but they chose to keep this variability. (I do sort of understand why they did it for markets like Korea where netcafés are still a thing, but it isn't well-received in Western markets that don't have the same dynamics.)

And yeah, I knew what you were intended by the small asks... but the problem with that is that it can backfire on you. Someone looking at your requests can just go "why are they harping on these trivial things?" and dismiss the whole thing as just subjective preference and tune it out. It's sort of burying the lede. If we had direct access to the developers, that'd be one thing, but people lower in the chain of command typically only have a certain amount of "currency" to make requests before they tuned out entirely. So if they're going to forward requests up the chain, I'd rather they focus on things that can make the biggest difference. Of course, QoL has its place too, and I'm not against that... but not sure we need campfires while the building is already burning. But anyway, that's just my approach. I just don't want the important issues to be missed.
  • papy10kpapy10k ✭✭✭
    all this is a waste of time and daydreaming, we have to like what Koreans like, and they like costumes and endless IoD grinding with 16 character
  • FRSTYFRSTY ✭✭
    Tbh we deserve to be ignored and our feedback forgotten about, 3.7k people have seen the thread and only few of us up-vote and give our opinion. Sad sad sad.