There will be a TERA PC Maintenance on Thursday (7/19) from 8 - 11 A.M. PDT

My thoughts on trolling, DPS and elitism

2»

Comments

• I don't think most people here think it's right to troll you based off of unskilled, site or not. You also cannot equate the site to trolling either.
    A viable strategy for lfg is to make it on a skilled or cleared character, then when people app, let them know you're swapping off. They can decide if they want to stay from there or not. Also clearing once or twice, even 5 times is far from skilled, so you should understand people are wary since they can lose entries if they find the party is not good enough to clear. Just communicate that you've cleared on other chars and that's all you can really do. Even with the site backing up someone's clear, being unskilled on a character is risk enough to some people, just find people likeminded to yourself to run with.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    JXE5356AKE wrote: »
    But because we hadn't cleared it yet in this setup (not mentioned in the lfg), no one would apply and even more so people would log their alts to start trolling us by applying to the party with low
    JXE5356AKE wrote: »
    A viable strategy for lfg is to make it on a skilled or cleared character, then when people app, let them know you're swapping off. They can decide if they want to stay from there or not.

Gotta keep in mind, the only difference between LFG and IMS is transparency and filtering. You're rendering the system moot if you don't specify that it's a learning run or you present your group in one way (eg. with a skilled tank) only to switch to something else once people join under that pretense.

I think a lot of LFG issues could be mitigated by removing the low character count requirement. If someone were able to make an LFG called "Need 2 DPS for RK9EM, no DPS meters preferred; we've cleared before but not in this setup," then it'd get the point across much better than "N>2DPS RK9EM" which basically doesn't say anything and makes it hard to find groups that you want to play with. I'd also like this function because it would allow me to create "N>healer, I don't care if you're a priest or a mystic as long as you restore my mana during adrenaline rush" LFGs.

Also that site you're referring to, while its existence does have some downsides, it's basically the only thing keeping the competitive PVE crowd around. BHS needs to bring back in-game scoreboards so people don't feel compelled to do it themselves.
  • KillerPenguinsKillerPenguins ✭✭✭✭
    My view on this is pretty basic - if someone lies to me and tells me they're better than they are, they are willfully wasting my time and inconveniencing me. Having a way to compare people at a glance is convenient because it means there's less times when you have that classic "yeah this is an alt!" conversation and it's clear that they have no clue what they're doing after the first 20 minutes of wiping. However, that doesn't mean people should troll. If there's an lfg full of people who aren't up to your standards, I would say.. just don't join that lfg. Insulting people is never appropriate, and neither is lying to people.
  • XandervbXandervb ✭✭✭
    That's because ppl play for grind, not for fun. Sometimes it's way more entertaining and challenging to wipe with newbs for an hour than to repeat exactly same perf pattern few times a day on different alts. Tera has little variety and many ppl keep playing it despite clearly not enjoying repeating same content hundreds of times, just to get some shiny gear that in the end is useless because you are already bored with everything.
  • XristosxXristosx ✭✭✭
    edited January 13
    If i wanted to check if someone had cleared and they were lying to me i would just check their achievements. Since there is a achievement for the first clear atleast.
    lEUp8lf.jpg
    While those people were being assholes still maybe you shouldn't accuse people right off the bat that their cheating. There are legitimate ways to find out people haven't done something.

Edit: nevermind you already mentioned this. But still if you knew that, why are you making a post, just to start drama? People are dicks in any game just play with people you know and move on. If everyone posted when someone was a [filtered] to them then the entire forums would be flooded. You know what i do when someone annoys me? I block them and move on.
  • @JXE5356AKE
    Yes ofc people have the right to not join, that's not the issue at all. I respect that completely.
    I totally understand that people want a fast painless clear, it's all fine and dandy.
    I have days like that myself, where I don't want to wipe for hours on end. :)

@voidy
    That would be an awesome idea, just thinking about how to make it work practically! Hmm food for thought indeed.
    I do realize that in my original post it seemed as if I completely disagrees with meter and the website, however I do see the benefits of having it.
    As I have mentioned before it is obviousluy a good way for people to try out new builds etc.
    Then if you decide to use it or not is up to you.
    Personally I don't use it for several reasons.

@KillerPenguins
    I agree with your statment to a fair amount. I don't like being lied to either, rather they tell me the truth instead of me finding out they don't know mechs at last boss. I don't mind spending a bit of time explaining and I often invite people to discord with me too, that way they get to listen to my raspy voice (win/win for everyone) :P In all seriousness though, I enjoy teaching people if I know that from the start (not as a surprise wipefest later on). I also don't have a problem with people not joining lfg based on their source of information, no matter how they got it. You overall got my point. :)

@Xandervb
    Well I cannot speak for others, some like grinding, some don't, the choice is their own. Myself I play for fun - fun for me is doing the hardest content and sometimes 100's of times. But I think I got your point, in your experience people only grind cus it needs to be done. I hope that's not the case because if so there is better ways to spend your time >.<

@Xristosx
    I was merely trying to start a discussion, not to start drama. Sadly you are not the only one thinking this is a drama post, even though I tried making my intentions clear from the start. Some people have come up with nice ideas on how to "fix the problem". How to get them to work is another question though.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13
    voidy wrote: »
    [...]

I think a lot of LFG issues could be mitigated by removing the low character count requirement. If someone were able to make an LFG called "Need 2 DPS for RK9EM, no DPS meters preferred; we've cleared before but not in this setup," then it'd get the point across much better than "N>2DPS RK9EM" which basically doesn't say anything and makes it hard to find groups that you want to play with. I'd also like this function because it would allow me to create "N>healer, I don't care if you're a priest or a mystic as long as you restore my mana during adrenaline rush" LFGs.

Also that site you're referring to, while its existence does have some downsides, it's basically the only thing keeping the competitive PVE crowd around. BHS needs to bring back in-game scoreboards so people don't feel compelled to do it themselves.

That idea seems great, but I would also extend it: One thing I've always felt important on an LFG, is a proper description text. I mean you click the LFG and with the current members showing, you are greeted to a description text like, for example: "<LFG>LKNM noob run anyone welcome" (already at the limit/bigger than limit), then you click it and it shows the party members and: "Anyone welcome, noob/trap receptive. Don't apply if you want a fast clear, healer limits testing. Feel free to bring barely minimum geared alts or learn the dungeon here".

This is basically the way I have fun at LKNM so I end up queing for IM, tho on IM you get a bad balance between people who are eager to learn, idiots who just troll/AFK and want carry (I'm OK with carry as long as you try being useful/try to learn), and the farmers wanting a fast clear. It does end up as some bits of stress every now and then when people underperform (or the trolls obviously).

By the way I just checked the site and I had some runs uploaded as a healer there. It seems it only logs the DPS and not the healer performance tho, I just showed up with a green glow around, whatever that means (if it was just the player selected/searched... whatever).

I'm frankly all fine with a top DPS/fastest clean run ranking and all, but as long as it's always kept inside the community that wants it and doesn't harass the part that isn't into it and want chill/trap runs.
    Also I'm not so sure what's the "Wall of Shame" there too. If it's players that upload it themselves specifically to that wall of shame just for laughs at their own messes, or if it's automatic on the lowest performing groups to go way down there, that's frankly one thing way too prone to harassment. But well, it's kinda obvious proof of who did it so anyone doing so is at their own risk after all.
    Edit: well it hides all names so can't quite call it harassment it's more like just fail videos with censored faces and all, but whatever
  • Does this post matter? You stopped playing! Good for you and good for the community! Move on! Or are you trying to get the community to pity you to give you a reason to come back to the game?
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluezcluez wrote: »
    Does this post matter? You stopped playing! Good for you and good for the community! Move on! Or are you trying to get the community to pity you to give you a reason to come back to the game?

You didn't read the first post from OP, did you?.

You are actually giving reasons for this thread to exist because it talks about something you are doing with your post.
  • I did read it and its a post which cries for attention even if the author denies it.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    -wrong thread, forget this and move on-
2»