There will be a TERA PC Maintenance on Thursday (2/22) from 8-11 a.m. PST

Returning player questions

edited January 18 in General Discussion
Hey everyone. I used to play TERA, but left after the FIHM fiasco (damn it felt good to see that Blue Post get downvoted into the minus 1.6k in the old forums) and the great MWA availability nerf fiasco. I've been playing other MMOs, but they often disappointed me. ESO put the Breton Hero armor, one of the most anticipated cosmetic items in the store, but made it so you can only have a limited preview of it, so you couldn't see how [filtered] it wass until you bought it, with no refund available, then ignored all the players complaining about it, not to mention the level scaling. Then there was WoW, which was pretty great, but is currently going through a rough patch. I'm not sure if I'll leave it, that depends on how Blizzard handles it. But I've been thinking of my time in TERA and the fun I had with the combat system, and I had a few questions to help me decide wether or not to come back.

1) Realistically speaking, how P2W is TERA right now? I remember even before I left, we had alkahest lootboxes in the store, but there was still enough of it available in game that it wasn't a major issue, until they decided to nerf it to the ground, making the grind to upgrade gear unbearable unless you forked over money. How is it going now?

2) I see they've introduced the Ninja and Valkyrie class. Surprise surprise, they're gender locked. Has EME said anything about this? Do they intend to ever fix this? Or at least make up for it with male only classes?

3) What is the Valkyrie like? I don't know how long ago it was added, is it still an overpowered monstrosity? I remember back around FINM actual DPS classes were pulling 1.5 Million while Brawlers did 3 million while tanking and self healing.

4) How is the balancing of classes in general right now?

5) What roles can the Valkyrie perform? I see it's a DPS, but the name seems to suggest it can maybe heal as well? Can it tank?

6) I see Elins can be Gunners now. Has anything been said about this? I could understand race locks (not gender) for castanics and high elves due to the raical lore of being weapon crafters and technological wizards, but Elins? This makes no sense.

7) Are mystic and priest still the only 2 healers?

8)How is tanking right now? I remember back when I used to play I tried out a lancer, but it was so boring I couldn't force myself to reach level cap with it, I could only enjoy DPS and Healing. Then I tried WoW and it was the opposite: I loved DPS and tank, but healing was a chore.

9) How are archers right now? Is it still Ping reliant?

10) How is flying? I loved flying in WoW, but Blizzard keeps locking it behind [filtered] grinds and time gates.

Comments

• ...so I'm guessing the forums and the game are dead now?
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because your whole post is not to discuss.

You are making questions that are answered by them themselves.

You left Tera because you didn't like past desicions then don't come back because that is the same as always.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    AugustoC wrote: »
    ...so I'm guessing the forums and the game are dead now?

This is usually the quiet hour on the forums. Also, welcome back!

1)It's pretty much the same as it was when you left. You can obtain endgame gear by paying tons of money irl, but you can still grind out the gear without any irl spendings needed and elite is obtainable from ingame. Also there has been an introduction of crit power flying mounts. Mounts that give you a 1.5 crit power buff which randomly procs for 5 sec every 1:30 min. These can be obtained through playing ingame and there's a cash shop version only which offers you a 2.0 crit power buff, but you can still find it and buy it off of the broker. A complete gear revamp happened which kind of makes it more grindy to get gear for multiple characters, but it's still doable imo.

2)Human male brawler is coming in march. There's nothing to be said about this, female costumes sell better to put it simply. If human male brawler does well maybe they will release more male new classes :shrug:

3)Valk was super op at release, it got a few nerfs since then but nothing big to knock off the top tier dps title. They're still the best dps in the game but they're rivaled by warriors.

4)I think it's better than when you were here personally. Plenty of classes you can do lots of damage with: valk, warrior, archer, zerk, even reaper. Sorc, gunner would be mid tier. Ninjas sadly last. Brawlers do more damage than some dps classes but as tanks they're worse than lancers since lancers can do decent dps while providing great buffs to the party. Warrior tanks are better than brawlers too but harder to play so I hardly see them.

5)Just DPS.

6)It's been explained lore-wise but it's not like anyone (or bhs) care about lore so eh. Elin gunners were introduced to sell more costumes, see question 2)

7)Yes, and they still can't balance those two for the life of them. Mystics are literally bugged right now (insane range on their lockons and autolockon) which should be fixed soon and priests are getting a 5% cdr party wide buff to their estars.

8)Lancers get super fast and fun endgame, it's probably the most dark-souls like combat this game can offer to you, along with warrior tank. It's the hardest role to play too.

9)Yes ping reliant as always. They had a revamp which made them one of the strongest and easiest dps in the game.

10)I.. am not really impressed by flying since there's a stamina bar which makes you go down to the ground and then you need to refill it. Kind of annoying. Flying also totally killed exploring since bhs threw invisible walls everywhere. Could definitely be better.

Also just my personal view of the state of the game right now. EME is doing a [filtered]-poor job at publishing tera right now, they're understaffed and do the bare minimum just to keep the game working despite people begging for events since there's not much the game has to offer in terms of content right now. They constantly churn out cash shop events which is making a lot of people disappointed.
    Still since you're coming back there's plenty of stuff to do until you get bored so good luck o/
  • Man, the invisible walls really suck...

How about dungeons? How many are available right now? Any raids?
  • MargaretheMargarethe ✭✭✭✭
    The game had no improvements after you left.
    Aside from the gear changes, I suppose.

Personal advice, leave before you're addicted to the combat system again.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Margarethe wrote: »

In other words too: Leave before you start having fun?
    ElinLove wrote: »
    Margarethe wrote: »

In other words too: Leave before you start having fun?

Before you're stuck in a dying game with poor management.
    They were already playing Tera before, they left for a reason.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭
    @OP - Welcome back, sorry about some of the industrial-level salt-mines above... This game has seen better days and it's wearing on the people who are trying to stick with it.

CornishRex did a good job answering the questions you had, and I'll +1 all of them. As a Lancer main, I'll tell you it gets night-and-day better when you hit level cap. You go from a slower-hitting wall of armor to frontal-DPS with a lot of party buffs and that glorious active block ability. I don't play this game too much lately - mostly due to burn-out from the lack of content again, but when I do come back, I pretty much just run my Lancer.

The gear revamp is pretty good, you'll be able to get GearXP by playing the game which increases your enchant/upgrade chances to 100% until you hit Frostmetal (third tier) armor, where as even after getting to 100% GearXP, you get at best a 60% success chance. The chances are nicer than before, but upgrade costs are astronomical now compared to previous patches, often being several thousand worth of actual gold and materials per roll now. It definitely gives incentive to taking your time and saving your money.

My best advice if you're coming back is just to not take things too seriously, and just play the game casually to have fun. This game and EME have their issues right now, namely the void of content for the current patch, and EME having staffing and communication issues despite Tera being arguably their best/most popular game. Play it to enjoy the combat system and hang out with a guild if you can find an active one. The next big patch will be pretty significant, but it's months away still, so if you do come back, you'll have some time to get geared up for when it drops.

Either way, welcome back, hope you have a good time with Tera again.
    Jerichow wrote: »
    @OP - Welcome back, sorry about some of the industrial-level salt-mines above... This game has seen better days and it's wearing on the people who are trying to stick with it.

CornishRex did a good job answering the questions you had, and I'll +1 all of them. As a Lancer main, I'll tell you it gets night-and-day better when you hit level cap. You go from a slower-hitting wall of armor to frontal-DPS with a lot of party buffs and that glorious active block ability. I don't play this game too much lately - mostly due to burn-out from the lack of content again, but when I do come back, I pretty much just run my Lancer.

The gear revamp is pretty good, you'll be able to get GearXP by playing the game which increases your enchant/upgrade chances to 100% until you hit Frostmetal (third tier) armor, where as even after getting to 100% GearXP, you get at best a 60% success chance. The chances are nicer than before, but upgrade costs are astronomical now compared to previous patches, often being several thousand worth of actual gold and materials per roll now. It definitely gives incentive to taking your time and saving your money.

My best advice if you're coming back is just to not take things too seriously, and just play the game casually to have fun. This game and EME have their issues right now, namely the void of content for the current patch, and EME having staffing and communication issues despite Tera being arguably their best/most popular game. Play it to enjoy the combat system and hang out with a guild if you can find an active one. The next big patch will be pretty significant, but it's months away still, so if you do come back, you'll have some time to get geared up for when it drops.

Either way, welcome back, hope you have a good time with Tera again.

Excuse myself, they asked for points of view.
    Not all points of view are sugar, if you'd like to place it that way.

Amused, most of the questions asked by new players and returning players alike can be answered by reading recent topics on the forums.