Returning Players

I'm aware that this may be a reoccurring topic and I do apologize, however as two individuals who don't have the luxury to spend hours sifting through the forums for detailed and briefed information, I kindly ask that everyone who looks down on me for posting this please just be helpful or ignore this post.

Alright so to be short, myself and another are thinking of picking this game back up. Unfortunately a lot has changed and we haven't the slightest clue what's going on. We're both coming from the Bathysmal Rise/Dreadnaught gear era.
I don't expect anyone to really type up everything important but rather if you could add links into your comments on what is important, critical, or just general need-to-know.
Not sure if it is related, but I main as a Warrior - both offense and defense, and my friend mains as a Slayer and Gunner. We both stopped playing once we obtained full dreadnaught gear and I think we were working on etchings.

Anyways, thanks for anyone for their time.

Comments

• FeenoxFeenox ✭✭✭
    to start, gear has changed a lot since you last played. if youve ever played BnS, the enchanting system is now similar to that, where instead of crafting/obtaining dropped gear for each tier, you enchant starting from a low tier up until the best-in-slot tier, essentially just through one weapon instead of multiple. the progression now is guardian (obtainable through a quest in highwatch) -> twistshard -> frostmetal -> stormcry(current best in slot). you have to upgrade from one tier to the next. guardian is upgradeable at +6 and the rest of the tiers are upgradeable at +9. there is no more masterworking or +15 and rerolling your gear's lines is free the first time you do it. same with jewelry.
    each tier has different materials needed to enchant it, and there are a lot of them, so that would be something you can experiment with on your own.
    hope that helps !
  • save yourself time, dont bother coming back, tera's in a bad way and its only getting worse
  • For yo own sanity dont do dis.
  • Why discourage people from returning? Eme should ban you guys for that nonsense.

Seriously.
  • StitchedSoulStitchedSoul ✭✭✭✭
    Discouraging and saying how it is arent same things.

to op: game is playable and interesting if you dont fix yourself only on it. The gameplay now includes much more grind than it was before. You need either grind a lot or have loads of gold. But enchanting for mid tier equip is much more easy now. Yes Tera isnt in best place with events and updating of shops and stuff now, but as long as you have friends around its gonna be cool and interesting anyway!)
  • Well, game is more grindy than usual and that's expected with an F2P mmorpg, if you are not in that stuff, don't bother coming back.

About the enchanting, now requires a shitload of gold which is easier to farm than back then... and a lot of BS mats that can be obtained farming dungeons, dismantling old [filtered] and mats that you don't need. Also, the mid tier gear and above has XP which you have to lvl up doing VG requests (dungeons, bams...) that item exp increases your success rate on your next enchant try, that means, you have to play the game with those characters to gear up to higher tiers. You can't stock up mats and enchant the gear right off the bat.

That's why the game is more grindy, but, IMO, its fairly good compared to the old system.

Also, if you thing were the BGs, well, bad news, because those are dead, except FWC...
  • I don't see the huge grind you guys are talking about.

Take for instance the Lucid patch, if you wanted Lucid you needed to grind TSHM and AIHM until your screen melted just to build the gear. Then you needed between 250,000 and a million MWA and FS to get a single piece to +15 and even that wasn't guaranteed. Now you need etching and dyads, no smart dyads so get ready for 4-800 attempts. There were no easy IOD bams, the 2 star dungeons only have idoneal gear.

Fast forward, you can get full SC through IOD, events and low/mid dungeons. You don't have to deal with the 3% flat chance of enchanting awakened gear. Those rose tinted glasses make y'all see things funny.

I don't care for the current mid dungeons much but I only play a few times a week I'm almost 439 so I'll get to try rk and bp soon.
  • I will never forget snatching up 50k mwa and fs and spamming that attempt button at the awakened enchanted until I was out and not moving from 14 to 15. I contemplated dismantling my Lucid scythes that day.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the huge grind you guys are talking about.

Take for instance the Lucid patch, if you wanted Lucid you needed to grind TSHM and AIHM until your screen melted just to build the gear. Then you needed between 250,000 and a million MWA and FS to get a single piece to +15 and even that wasn't guaranteed. Now you need etching and dyads, no smart dyads so get ready for 4-800 attempts. There were no easy IOD bams, the 2 star dungeons only have idoneal gear.

Fast forward, you can get full SC through IOD, events and low/mid dungeons. You don't have to deal with the 3% flat chance of enchanting awakened gear. Those rose tinted glasses make y'all see things funny.

I don't care for the current mid dungeons much but I only play a few times a week I'm almost 439 so I'll get to try rk and bp soon.

People seem to remember well the better PVP and more lively community as "everything was better".
    I can say for sure I intend to keep playing, if it was so much worse than many make it out to be, I wouldn't bother leaving my 6 month long hiatus and making an Elin Gunner.
    I'll have to agree with StichedSoul tho that the game is better enjoyed on-off instead of devoting your life and a virgin sacrifice to it. It becomes boring as heck to just grind mindlessly, and honestly, one of the things I've never bothered with, was getting BiS gear and top enchant on it, so in this aspect, I'll probably just keep the same as always, and it's good that way.

OP: if you're into PVP, well, I kinda said it but more precisely now: It's not in good shape. BGs pop rarely outside power hours (if at all), open world is now only at Lv 65, so no PVP while leveling for better or for worse, there's CU in place of Alliances (Civil Unrest, not copper or a*shole in Portuguese), but that's usually a battle between top tier guilds only (or so I've heard...).

PVE is what it always was, some dungeons come, some go. What you do need to check out is the new gearing system. As your gear is what you said, you'll need the Guardian from the quest to start up in PVE. Enchanting Guardian is cheap, and so is it to upgrade it to Twistshard, from which it's similar to what it was before but a tad easier, and more transparent to the user with enchant chance well stated. It's also guaranteed success up to like +6 at least on lower tiers. Tiers by the way I only mean the gear's rank compared to each other, there's no stupid Tier X alkahest or feedstock to bother with other than leveling.
  • I do agree I miss alliance. A lot. Why did they have to remove alliance? So sad