There will be a TERA PC Maintenance on Tuesday (8/21) from 8 A.M. - 11 A.M. PDT

Gem Crates

Comments

• allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viauxi wrote: »
    PS: I tried posting this as a thread. They removed it. Thats ok, I expect them to censor opinion at this point, as if that somehow changes public perception. Reddit will like this too.
    There's no moderation record on the dev tracker; it was almost certainly auto-hidden by the stupid auto-moderation plugin on this forum (possibly if/when you tried to edit the opening post). With the amount of criticism that is on this forum constantly, you can't seriously say they censor opinion. (If they were really trying to censor opinion, they're doing an amazingly bad job.)

there were a few times my opinion got censored by spacecats around the time of the dragons, and even got warned. its ok. I know we don't have freedom of speech in forums and I understand it now.
    on a different note, @counterpoint , did eme ask the player council what their opinion was concerning gem boxes before they brought them out to the store? if so, what did you guys say about it?
  • counterpointcounterpoint ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24
    Viauxi wrote: »
    PS: I tried posting this as a thread. They removed it. Thats ok, I expect them to censor opinion at this point, as if that somehow changes public perception. Reddit will like this too.
    There's no moderation record on the dev tracker; it was almost certainly auto-hidden by the stupid auto-moderation plugin on this forum (possibly if/when you tried to edit the opening post). With the amount of criticism that is on this forum constantly, you can't seriously say they censor opinion. (If they were really trying to censor opinion, they're doing an amazingly bad job.)

there were a few times my opinion got censored by spacecats around the time of the dragons, and even got warned. its ok. I know we don't have freedom of speech in forums and I understand it now.
    Of course, I'm not saying there's no moderation. But it's not usually about "censoring opinion" (this forum is jam packed with criticism, anger, trolling, etc. etc.) but just the way people say things (e.g. avoiding call-outs, avoiding personal attacks, etc.). And in this person's case, it was almost certainly the auto-moderator plugin, not a person.

on a different note, @counterpoint , did eme ask the player council what their opinion was concerning gem boxes before they brought them out to the store? if so, what did you guys say about it?
    Since there's no community rep for TERA PC right now, there's very little dialog with Player Council. There was no consultation on gem boxes.
    oh, ok. thanks for the answer.

• on a different note, @counterpoint , did eme ask the player council what their opinion was concerning gem boxes before they brought them out to the store? if so, what did you guys say about it?
    Since there's no community rep for TERA PC right now, there's very little dialog with Player Council. There was no consultation on gem boxes.

The decision to release this item was made between BHS and myself, Player Council had no impact nor were they consulted, as @counterpoint said. It is based on an item that KTERA and other territories have released. This is not an EME only item. Just to be clear.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited February 25
    I prefer such things that are related to economics in game not be discussed with the player council. Such things can be abused easily to have a huge advantage on the market for example when the semi-enigmatic dismantle rates were adjusted. People dumped them on the market were mostly part of the player council because they got insider info.
  • Naru2008Naru2008 ✭✭✭
    Lapomko wrote: »
    I prefer such things that are related to economics in game not be discussed with the player council. Such things can be abused easily to have a huge advantage on the market for example when the semi-enigmatic dismantle rates were adjusted. People dumped them on the market were mostly part of the player council because they got insider info.

As much as we all were disappointed and upset about this, could we not bring up the past? Sure it's effects are still here to this day, but it's done and over with, EME regretted it, etc.

I personally don't see why PC is even still around, no offense to them, but if EME doesn't approach them about anything....what's the point really? I mean it's a great idea that was put in at first, but now it's got no point. It needs to be re-created, with new purpose. But EME has to do this, no one else can.
    edited February 25
    Just FWIW, this is absolutely not true. The people who got the "insider info" were not on the player council -- which was, itself, an entirely different source of consternation at the time (some people wondered why these other people got information when player council was left in the dark).

Anyway, I agree with the above post that these things should be left in the past since EME and the party that received the information acknowledges the mistakes made on both sides and steps were taken (including signed NDAs all around) to prevent it from happening again.

The decision to release this item was made between BHS and myself, Player Council had no impact nor were they consulted, as @counterpoint said. It is based on an item that KTERA and other territories have released. This is not an EME only item. Just to be clear.

I wasn't trying to instigate anything by my comment. I was just curious with all the comments against the gem boxes, if it was just here or every region. also I wasn't sure as to what all the player council is involved with when it comes to decisions made by eme. I for one am glad that they have gem boxes in the shop. I just wish they would keep them. ive always said that they need some sort of gold voucher in the cash shop so we can buy gold.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited February 26
    Just FWIW, this is absolutely not true. The people who got the "insider info" were not on the player council -- which was, itself, an entirely different source of consternation at the time (some people wondered why these other people got information when player council was left in the dark).

Anyway, I agree with the above post that these things should be left in the past since EME and the party that received the information acknowledges the mistakes made on both sides and steps were taken (including signed NDAs all around) to prevent it from happening again.

I beg to differ because one certain person which I will not call out was one of the first to dump them on the market who was part of the player council.
    History can never be covered up so try what you guys like.

I wasn't trying to instigate anything by my comment. I was just curious with all the comments against the gem boxes, if it was just here or every region. also I wasn't sure as to what all the player council is involved with when it comes to decisions made by eme. I for one am glad that they have gem boxes in the shop. I just wish they would keep them. ive always said that they need some sort of gold voucher in the cash shop so we can buy gold.

Buying gold directly through some sort of way destroys the economy and you will shoot yourself back in the foot. The paywall increases as everything becomes much more expensive to acquire. Look at the golden talent/golden plates value on the market right now and it's still increasing everyday. Imagine a new player that wants to upgrade his gear without p2w? If it keeps going on and I saw it enough on other korean mmorpg. Farming becomes pretty useless and everything becomes ridiculous expensive.
  • If it keeps going on and I saw it enough on other korean mmorpg. Farming becomes pretty useless and everything becomes ridiculous expensive.

Exactly as it says.. it can become ridiculous..

And nobody will gain anything because the farmers and the spenders will have to pay more to acquire the same items from the present meaning that the farmers will have to farm more while the spenders will have to spend more and if the farmers decide to farm less and not care anymore then the enchanting materials will be quite hard to get - especially if some of the farmers are crafters - meaning that the spenders might reconsider spending as well.. For example: i saw that it costs 90k with 7% base enchant to upgrade from +9sc to the next tier and imagine what happens if the prices go higher from now where we might end up with 150k per try - nobody will gain from that - including EME because players will vanish - besides that the vouchers/liberation/cosmetics will be super expensive..

I hope that there is a really good plan that was made up for this and EME is ready to help the market with enchanting/upgrading materials if needed through events or anything while considering carefully when and how to release gem crates to not mess up the EMP rate where for example a name change voucher might end up costing 60k or elte 30days for 120k ( i am not sure who will like liberation scrolls at 60k either ).
    edited February 26

I beg to differ because one certain person which I will not call out was one of the first to dump them on the market who was part of the player council.
    History can never be covered up so try what you guys like.

Then, just to be clear, they didn't get the info through the player council, since it was never provided to that group. If they were given the info from the people who got it (a separate group), and took advantage of it, then that's a separate, unrelated issue. No one is saying that history should be covered up, but it should also not be altered.
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭

I am not too sure if you are just blanket blaming but the leak back then didn't come from PC but from a partnership with Essential Mana, which back then EME made a mistake of not enforcing an NDA.

I would honestly be surprised if the PC allowed this gem event to go through if they have the power to deny a potential gamebreaking event to begin with, since most of them know full well that something like this will kill the community.

Thankfully and luckily, the rates on the gem boxes was somewhat limited, I wouldn't even want to think if the eventual goal income per EMP exceeds the current EMP ratio, although the effect of this event is still visible in some servers.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    aeee98 wrote: »

I am not too sure if you are just blanket blaming but the leak back then didn't come from PC but from a partnership with Essential Mana, which back then EME made a mistake of not enforcing an NDA.

I would honestly be surprised if the PC allowed this gem event to go through if they have the power to deny a potential gamebreaking event to begin with, since most of them know full well that something like this will kill the community.

Thankfully and luckily, the rates on the gem boxes was somewhat limited, I wouldn't even want to think if the eventual goal income per EMP exceeds the current EMP ratio, although the effect of this event is still visible in some servers.

Either way my statement still stands as it somehow got in the hands of a Player Council and I never said the leak came from them ;thinking;. Doing a forum search already proves that a particular person which was part of the Player Council was dumping the mats before it was known. Therefore I prefer this matter related to the economics not to be discussed with them or history will repeat itself.
  • CassandraTRCassandraTR ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26
    I for one am glad that they have gem boxes in the shop. I just wish they would keep them. ive always said that they need some sort of gold voucher in the cash shop so we can buy gold.

If gold is purchasable (rather than created in game by effort,) it destroys the economy. F2P games, at least healthy ones, are supported by all the players, not just the spenders.

If you remove the incentive for spenders to interact with free players, then the economy goes belly up very quickly. There is no incentive to bring cosmetics/vouchers/mounts into the game for other players. Free players who farm 4-5 hours cannot compete with a quick purchase of 100k gold. The final death knell is the actual injection of gold into the economy causing inflation.

Permanent Gem boxes would totally destructive for TERA.

Oh so this ham-fisted idea was your brainchild? That makes so much more sense now.
  • edited February 26
    I for one am glad that they have gem boxes in the shop. I just wish they would keep them. ive always said that they need some sort of gold voucher in the cash shop so we can buy gold.

If gold is purchasable (rather than created in game by effort,) it destroys the economy. F2P games, at least healthy ones, are supported by all the players, not just the spenders.

If you remove the incentive for spenders to interact with free players, then the economy goes belly up very quickly. There is no incentive to bring cosmetics/vouchers/mounts into the game for other players. Free players who farm 4-5 hours cannot compete with a quick purchase of 100k gold. The final death knell is the actual injection of gold into the economy causing inflation.

Permanent Gem boxes would totally destructive for TERA.

Oh so this ham-fisted idea was your brainchild? That makes so much more sense now.

LOL - I don't even know what that means.
This discussion has been closed.