We're having maintenance Tuesday, November 20 from 8 - 11 am PDT (three hours).

What exactly is a "parse"

Can someone explain to me what it means to be a "parse run" I think I get the main idea but it still confuses me.

Comments

• It's when you try to get the highest dps possible by using every buff possible and ending the boss at the end of an enrage burn so you can increase your epeen.
  • XeirylXeiryl ✭✭✭
    shinjuki wrote: »
    It's when you try to get the highest dps possible by using every buff possible and ending the boss at the end of an enrage burn so you can increase your epeen.

adding on to this, parse runs are often slaying runs with party compositions that allow for maximum dps output (like lancers and mystics.) sometimes these runs are reset over and over again to ensure favorable conditions (like if someone who's parsing dies or the boss turns at the wrong time, the party may reset the boss.)
  • Originally, "Parse" means analyze the boss mechanic and how to react in order to maximize their dps.
    For example, it is like
    "what skills should I use during this mechanic in order to boost my dps?"
    "How many skills can I add during this mechanic before dodging it instead of dodging too early?"

But in game...99.9% of parse means dps padding regardless, and so-called "grief".

Those griefers barely think about how to properly maximize their dps. They just want to get high dps rank by spamming their skills instead of consideration of minimizing their out-of-dps time(dodging too early), but often die.

Another example is

The boss's HP is 76.5% and it will enrage at 76.0%, but it starts doing a mechanic that everyone has to get away and takes 15+ seconds. Then, the real parse will think about should we push now or wait until the mechanic ends? But most of the parse run just do their dps regardless.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited March 12
    People parse in a statics with most optimal party setup with the best players from the servers. Low as possible clear time with enrage synced up to certain skills like warriors Deadly Gamble. Theres no point to parse in a random party with long clear time as your average dps will suffer with a bad tank/brain ded dps etc. Those griefers are just bad players when they dodge too early and die.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @DCT75L769R said:
    > Originally, "Parse" means analyze the boss mechanic and how to react in order to maximize their dps.
    > For example, it is like
    > "what skills should I use during this mechanic in order to boost my dps?"
    > "How many skills can I add during this mechanic before dodging it instead of dodging too early?"
    >
    > But in game...99.9% of parse means dps padding regardless, and so-called "grief".
    >
    > Those griefers barely think about how to properly maximize their dps. They just want to get high dps rank by spamming their skills instead of consideration of minimizing their out-of-dps time(dodging too early), but often die.
    >
    > Another example is
    >
    > The boss's HP is 76.5% and it will enrage at 76.0%, but it starts doing a mechanic that everyone has to get away and takes 15+ seconds. Then, the real parse will think about should we push now or wait until the mechanic ends? But most of the parse run just do their dps regardless.

Dat generalisation and projection, ouch
  • DL7MMWLJ3WDL7MMWLJ3W ✭✭✭
    Parse is done to boost your DPS in unnatural ways than a typical normal run. This ends up confusing newer players wanting to compare their DPS to the ones that are #1 on moongourd and can't figure out how to achieve that.

Players who are below #1 are consider irreverent to the untrained eye even though there are good skilled players out there who does not need to show off their skills or get involved in this convoluted nightmare.

Since parsing isn't a good way to measure your DPS in a "realistic" run, people need to understand what needs to happen to boost your own DPS that you don't do in a typical dungeon run.

Here are a few examples:

- Need 4 pro people to be your servant.
    - You horde every enrage damage for yourself with your best skills off cooldown. If boss is about to enrage again and your ultimate skills are still on cooldown, then they need to slow down DPS except you.
    - If Lancer in the party then need to prestack to 10 Hold the Line buff before engaging.
    - Need double healers for extra cheese sauce.
    - If you got a dps warrior in the party, that warrior can go d-stance and use infruiate by sacrfieing their DPS for you.
    - Nobody can die or complain about lag but you generally ALWAYS have that one person who griefs or has lag issues.
    - With x1.5 and x2.0 crit power mount buff, you need to proc them in a way to make them go off seperately instead of overlapping.
    - People using unethical methods to glitch boss or skip mechanics to boost DPS.
    - Players using self made or paid unethical resources to skip animations and boost their speed than normal players cannot do.

If you do all of the above, consider you getting internet fame! But guess what, you'll be shamed as a cheater and ends up getting your parse removed. Whether it's jealously or the person really did unethical measures to get unnatural numbers.

I knew someone that was a friendly and a skilled player, but after he got his hands on some questionable stuff to boost his DPS further, it ended up changing his attitude to be more of a egotistical [filtered] and ended up losing more people because of his behavior. Now he can't parse with this guild and ended up quitting the game due to the bad reputation he caused with this guild and himself. You really need to have good discipline of yourself if you plan on doing these sorts of things otherwise greed can get control of you.
  • think it can be boiled down to

min-maxing DPS