[TERA Console] Patch notes for the upcoming v85.01 Update are now available. Preview all of the changes coming on August 11 here: https://bit.ly/TERACon_v85
[TERA PC] Patch Notes are now available for TERA's 64-bit update (v97). Check out all the changes coming on August 11 here: https://bit.ly/tera64_patchnotes
[TERA PC & CONSOLE] One week left in Summerfest, Part 1: Festival of the Sun! Part 2: The Beach Bash kicks off August 11. Participate in Summerfest activities to earn tokens redeemable for costumes, consumables, mounts, and more! Details: https://bit.ly/tera_sf20

Now is time for Males to make their word worth.

Comments

• ArkacciArkacci ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    CornishRex wrote: »
    There are prolly most elins in this game my dude, look at the stats published every once in a while. The reason why there are no males is because they're surprise surprise not profitable, not because the devs are perverts lmao

oh you don't think it's because all new classes since launch, have been genderlocked, and people get drawn to new classes, and forced into playing female chars, that make it seem like everyone prefer female chars?
    any new content is profitable, even if female stuff generate a bit more, by not making stuff available to to all races/genders, you have less content that generate profit.....
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    @RNNT4FP55J you need to actually owns a bussiness to know that diversity not always and not most of times equal more profits, the only thing true is that more diversity equals more investment and if that does not give you more profit then it is a lose.

Catering to whinners is not an inteligent decision, there will be always been people saying that they knows better than the owners of the bussiness but most of them are simple jelousy of them and want to make their word look like it has worth when is not,

Infographic from PC Beta (2012)
    7M0HLql.jpg

If you look at that info and any other official source you can get from Tera you will learn that Tera got more male versions (6 males vs 5 females races) that could play any class, however the players investing in the game were those who playerd females and elins. From a bussiness perspective BHS did the right thing and was to invest on what gave them profits.
    RNNT4FP55J wrote: »
    There are prolly most elins in this game my dude, look at the stats published every once in a while. The reason why there are no males is because they're surprise surprise not profitable, not because the devs are perverts lmao

oh you don't think it's because all new classes since launch, have been genderlocked, and people get drawn to new classes, and forced into playing female chars, that make it seem like everyone prefer female chars?
    any new content is profitable, even if female stuff generate a bit more, by not making stuff available to to all races/genders, you have less content that generate profit.....

No, because since launch classes were not gender locked and you had more male versions on races.
  • as i expected, my prev comment got deleted, so i can't explain my reasoning in detail. so meh.

anyway, men not wanting male classes, is an argument AGAINST class lock. why would we want male exclusive classes, when we're arguing against class locks to begin with?? had they made all new classes available to all races/genders, then this argument wouldn't have existed, and all these unpleasable men, would have been pleased...
    You think WoW and FF14 would have been successful, if all new classes since launch, were gender locked?
    diversity generate profit, locking content, does not.
  • If they made another male class, which class would you want to see be male? Since not many people really played on a male brawler, there should be one people would actually play.
  • ElinUsagi wrote: »
    @RNNT4FP55J you need to actually owns a bussiness to know that diversity not always and not most of times equal more profits, the only thing true is that more diversity equals more investment and if that does not give you more profit then it is a lose.

Catering to whinners is not an inteligent decision, there will be always been people saying that they knows better than the owners of the bussiness but most of them are simple jelousy of them and want to make their word look like it has worth when is not,

7M0HLql.jpg

If you look at that info and any other official source you can get from Tera you will learn that Tera got more male versions (6 males vs 5 females races) that could play any class, however the players investing in the game were those who playerd females and elins. From a bussiness perspective BHS did the right thing and was to invest on what gave them profits.

No, because since launch classes were not gender locked and you had more male versions on races.

that's from closed beta long before the new classes were even here.
    and from that pic, the difference in female/male population, isn't enough to warrant genderlocking 4 new classes - 43% of chars were male...that's almost half the playerbase. Had it been 10% or something, it would have made sense.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

7M0HLql.jpg

and from that pic, the difference in female/male population, isn't enough to warrant genderlocking 4 new classes - 43% of chars were male...that's almost half the playerbase. Had it been 10% or something, it would have made sense.

You are the one not making sense, as I told you you can look for this info easily, that is only to show you how since it begin Tera had no gender lock the way you see that info the same has been before Reaper came to the game. Reaper gender and race lock was because profits from those who played not because you came with weightless words saying you know better than anyone.

One more thing, WoW success is not because they dont have gender lock but from the amazing lore it has and because you can say there was no more options on those dates. Most people playing WoW right now are not even new players but veterans.

FFIV had thier topics from people crying because they can't customize their characters as other games and claiming that will make the game not grow and lose players.

As you can see people will always have a reason to complain for the most silly thing on games but that doesnt mean they hold the true about things. A bussiness will do whatever they need to stay like that, a bussiness, investment without profits is a lose and if those talkng gender lock makes a game to lose profits then they should prove their worth with males in the game, something that hasnt been since start.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ElinUsagi I love when you rub this pic on people's faces, and the excuses still just level up to 65 faster than our characters farming Kumas

Also rubbing more salt on the would: Elin is pretty close percentage wise to the other races combined male + female.

May as well bring up the topic on how schoolgirl swimsuits for Elins saved TERA from closing down and made the F2P possible to begin with, on the old forums: http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/BHS-Elin-saved-Tera

Yes, this is just rubbing on wounds, but my point with this bully is to: STOP making excuses for your whining, stop trying to make it sound like bigger masses are spreading the word. Just do your own part, show your worth yourself instead of trying to assign blame or anything.

Yes, it's halfassed but so is every other content here, including Elin Gunner which Elin players rejoiced even tho the class is meh anyway.
  • CutechanCutechan ✭✭✭
    WTB MOAR Elin classes.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If they made another male class, which class would you want to see be male? Since not many people really played on a male brawler, there should be one people would actually play.

popo :3
    as i expected, my prev comment got deleted, so i can't explain my reasoning in detail. so meh.

anyway, men not wanting male classes, is an argument AGAINST class lock. why would we want male exclusive classes, when we're arguing against class locks to begin with?? had they made all new classes available to all races/genders, then this argument wouldn't have existed, and all these unpleasable men, would have been pleased...
    You think WoW and FF14 would have been successful, if all new classes since launch, were gender locked?
    diversity generate profit, locking content, does not.

wow live on warcraft franchise and ff 14 live on final fantasy franchise
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

7M0HLql.jpg

sorry no it is not even close to half, 14% difference is a lot
  • ElinLove wrote: »
    Yes, it's halfassed but so is every other content here, including Elin Gunner which Elin players rejoiced even tho the class is meh anyway.

you're so funny.
    So just because all other content is halfassed, it's ok to make more halfassed content?
    that's the reason why i say they don't even take their own game seriously! because everything they do is halfassed!

Also funny you're talking about bullying and whining, when that's exactly what you're doing. you're bringing up a lot of excuses for your own whining about other ppl whining.
    Look the point is that people WHO LIKE THIS GAME WANT IT TO GET BETTER, and you're calling that whining.
    Maybe they prefer to play as male character, but THEY CAN'T PLAY THE CLASS THEY WANT, WITH THE GENDER THEY WANT, and you're calling that whining, and defending it BECAUSE YOU CAN ALREADY PLAY THE GAME THE WAY YOU WANT.

You're selfish and only care about your own opinion. You don't want things to change, because the game is already to YOUR liking - screw what other people want? the game should stay the way it is, because YOU like it.

If people complain about something, it's BECAUSE THEY CARE ABOUT THE GAME. Just because you might not care about that particular thing, or think it's no big deal, doesn't mean no one else should care about it either.
    If you don't care about the animations, that's cool. I just don't understand why you attack anyone who wants it to change?
    It's not up to you to decide what's important to someone else.
    If you're enjoying the game, then good for you - adding new animations is NOT going to ruin the game for you, but it WILL improve the game for others....so exactly what is it that YOU are whining about?
    Why is it that you're trying to make it sound like a bad thing, to improve the quality of the game?
    Why do you want the game to stay/continue to be halfassed, because it already is??
    It's mindboggling...
    I'm well aware of that the devs can never satisfy every gamer, so they can just follow their plan, but genderlocking 4 new classes, is NOT a small deal. In fact, imagine if they removed Elin from the game, i'm sure you'd be fine with that right? or would you start whining about it and make excuses for your whining? they already removed lots of quests from the game, so they can just remove more stuff like Elin and Popori too; at least that's what your arguments sound like.
  • RNNT4FP55J wrote: »
    Look the point is that people WHO LIKE THIS GAME WANT IT TO GET BETTER, and you're calling that whining.
    Maybe they prefer to play as male character, but THEY CAN'T PLAY THE CLASS THEY WANT, WITH THE GENDER THEY WANT, and you're calling that whining, and defending it BECAUSE YOU CAN ALREADY PLAY THE GAME THE WAY YOU WANT.
    Yeah, BlueHole, EME. It's called equality. Isn't that what all the females in the real world are on about? We need some MRA's up in here. lol
  • ovrovr ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I was excited for Male Brawler, but after 20 minutes of playing it, I realized that it's well... a braweler; it's a three year old class, and the fact that it's Male isn't going to change the fact that I'm bored of playing it.. There needs to be a new male-only class released. That's the only way BHS is going to get any real statistics.
  • I like the sentiment of this post, but, regardless, the stats from this making this move will not necessarily reflect the full picture. As has already been brought up in a previous post, much of the target market for male characters has already given up on the game long ago.

There is something to be said about maintaining longevity in a game, and having the majority of new releases gender-locked female characters or elins paints a poor picture for the state of development for some players. Yes, even when given the choice, most of the Tera playerbase, as a fact, will choose the Elin, but that doesn't mean the variety of choice they saw when they first gave the game a try didn't incentivize them to give the game a try in the first place.

In a similar vein, we could argue that giving away free cosmetic items from events that were previously available in the cash shop would also initially decrease their profits, and yet it's still done because it maintains player retention and satisfaction, if done correctly. I hate to bring it up, as Tera is obviously not directly comparable, but I think Warframe is an example of a game developer that manages this balance of profits vs. player satisfaction very well. And it shows, from the playerbase response: see most recent release of Excalibur Dex.

Whether it's pulling a loss in investment or not, just offering the freedom of choice can attract new/existing players to invest more money/time in the game overall. By creating a balanced number of male characters, less people would feel alienated, and the playerbase would likely be larger than it currently is.

By the way, offering products even at a loss can be a valid business strategy. Here's an article link as an example: https://www.inc.com/karl-and-bill/selling-your-product-at-a-loss-can-be-good-for-business.html

I think in this particular case, the closest strategy would be the 'loss leader': https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lossleader.asp

We know from Tera game reviews, such as steam, that there are a fair share of potential/prior players that were turned off from the lack of attention to male characters. The playerbase of Tera as a whole suffers from this, and consequently, the population of Tera decreases.

Yes, we don't know for a fact that more evenly releasing male/female characters would've helped the state of the game in the end, but we certainly can't draw the conclusion that the financials reflected from releasing the male brawler is the end-all-be-all either.

I'm sure the Tera developers/publishers have used data analytics to track profit trends to the best of their abilities, but I would argue that, in my opinion, from past development work, their business model has been short-sighted, and they could have improved the longevity of the game by releasing a more balanced proportion of male:female characters, among other things. Heck, what do I know? The Tera developers/publishers may not even be aiming for longevity. We all know the gaming industry is a break-neck environment currently. Game engines get outdated so fast, and investing in a game that will likely be obsolete in just a couple years may prove to be unwise.

Point is, there is a balance when discussing business models, and it's actually really difficult to determine the exact operations to achieve max. profit, because financials don't paint the full picture. The initial impact of releasing male characters might result in a net loss, but it's hard to accurately predict how the negative feelings associated with imbalanced development might impact future earnings.
  • Thank you for making this post and very true, anything you contribute to the male will help convince them to keep this amazing gender haha
  • Honestly surprised by how idiotic and immature people on thread are acting. You guys should feel at least a tiny bit of sympathy and support for the players who have been wanting to play males, regardless of race, for YEARS.
This discussion has been closed.