[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

There is a new broker exploit that people are using

Hi, so, there is a new broker exploit that people are using to temporally lower prices in broker by placing an item super cheap (Half price of even more) and then you cannot buy the item cause it says the player is already in negotiation.
It is meant to fool players that automatically place their items without changing the price. Been seeing this 3 times already.

Comments

• Being aware is half of the way. But fixing the exploit and prevent cheaters from getting rich and newbies from getting robbed is better
  • YesunaYesuna ✭✭
    Honyaki wrote: »
    Being aware is half of the way. But fixing the exploit and prevent cheaters from getting rich and newbies from getting robbed is better

The report function says hello.
  • PascallePascalle ✭✭✭
    This isn't cheating, or an exploit. This is just taking advantage of careless people.
  • msoltysplmsoltyspl ✭✭✭
    Pascalle wrote: »
    This isn't cheating, or an exploit. This is just taking advantage of careless people.

^This

How can people even put an equal sign between this and an exploit is beyond me.
  • DeadXDeadX ✭✭✭
    msoltyspl wrote: »

^This

rather easily since it circumvents what the broker mechanic is supposed to allow. that's called an exploit, using a game mechanic to produce an unintended result to your own benefit.
  • JuudeJuude ✭✭✭
    Tehnically speaking, this can be called but an exploit, but seriously people just look before you do something in the broker and this issue is completely avoided...
  • It's a simple fix to let purchasing override negotiations and then close out the menu. Buyer's getting more money. Seller missed out.

It's a bit like reality. You're talking to get the price on this car down, then some guy walks up next to you, slams down the full price in cash on the table. "I'm sorry but I'm trying to make less money here sir" said no one ever.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    msoltyspl wrote: »

^This

An exploit simply means abusing mechanics for an advantage, whether intended or unintended. I doubt the developers intended for the mechanic to be used in such a way, which would mean it is an exploit.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    The exploit part comes from hanging the price so low, and keeping it apparently low through an infinite negotiation, so others set their price as low for the exploiter to buy from them, then sell at normal price.

That this is all avoidable through information and checking actual prices doesn't erase the fact that the practice itself is not what the devs intended the system to be used for.

Now, I have not seen any staff member refer to this so far (unless they already did in the other threads or in the past), so for now, being wary about what you post and at what price is the best safeguard we have against this. Not everyone reads forums so spreading the info in-game, through friends, global or whatever, could also help minimize the damage, and maybe teach people to check broker trends before posting something.
  • I personally actually low bait all the time. If you don't check the price, that's your own fault. But I don't exploit like the person in the picture by having two people in negotiation. I list mine at a super low price and if someone buys it, oh well.
  • SylvietteSylviette ✭✭✭
    Listing item at very low price and buying from other who listed at the same low price is not an exploit, but making it impossible to buy out the listed item is an exploit.
    This trick has been used since a long long long time ago, but looked like EME can't really do anything about that. The best you can do is to educate new players about this.
  • DeadXDeadX ✭✭✭
    Nayroy wrote: »
    Are EMP sellers exploiters too? Back from having to pay 1:3 for EMP to 1:30 now.

doesn't apply at all. care to explain why you think it does? are players selling emp items on broker and using the same tactic?
  • Be aware is not a fix for this issue. Also, the majority of players neither read the forum, so you can't say players are aware just because community in forum is aware.
    And, yes, it's an exploit. Lower the prices is ok, of course. However, lock the negociation in trade broker is a clear exloit.
  • edited June 2016
    DeadX wrote: »
    Are EMP sellers exploiters too? Back from having to pay 1:3 for EMP to 1:30 now.

doesn't apply at all. care to explain why you think it does? are players selling emp items on broker and using the same tactic?

Why do you think it doesn't count? Both have no fixed price, both can be obtained from anyone, why does it matter if it's brokerable, if someone sells out in chats - does that not count as well? If I sell all my T9 feedstock for five times what the broker average is or put in items the broker does not have any listings for a mass amount more than what it last had, how is that different from someone selling EMP?

The "exploit", such that it is, is in the big picture. You're right that just listing an item on a broker for a given low price isn't itself bad. And I suppose, in theory, leaving someone on "infinite negotiation" isn't itself breaking anything. But it's the big picture of what they're trying to accomplish by doing these things that causes the problem -- they are trying to trick people into listing products at lower than the expected price in order to turn them around for a profit. That is what would make it a violation of the Rules of Conduct, regardless of whether you label it an exploit or not.