[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Protocol on Names

Comments

• Elinu1Elinu1 Canada ✭✭✭✭
    Just leave the names alone, best solution.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    just leaves angel alone best solution B)
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dvsv wrote: »
    Meningitis wrote: »
    AbstractCH wrote: »
    They don’t really have the right to be mad, they sent emails. All they had to do was log in for a minute and their name would be saved.
    Whether they "had a right to be mad" doesn't really matter (I personally don't think they should have been either). Just because they were being crybabies doesn't mean the outcome changes- and I'm sure EME as a company knows that. Why go through all that effort to wipe names just so people can get upset that names are getting hoarded for selling over and over again, especially when you know potential returning players will also get mad at you for it?

I don't follow you logic.
    So, a few ppl will get mad, but how about all these ppl that will be able to create or name change to the names that they want? How about all ppl that will be happy, not mad????
    Why shoud EME care so much about a minority that may, or may not return to the game?
    Maybe EME should care more about ppl currently playing and supporting the game!
    If somebody stop logging for like a 1 year and they don't care even to check their email, then they DESERVE to lose the name!

About name selling: Just make a bannable offense :)

I don't think you get it, but name sellers will be the ones getting those rare names first. So you're screwed either way.
    I do agree with you though, eme shouldn't be striving to make name holders happy. I wish they did a server merge already and the biggest reason against it atm is "muh names". But that's another topic.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    CornishRex wrote: »
    They don’t really have the right to be mad, they sent emails. All they had to do was log in for a minute and their name would be saved.
    Whether they "had a right to be mad" doesn't really matter (I personally don't think they should have been either). Just because they were being crybabies doesn't mean the outcome changes- and I'm sure EME as a company knows that. Why go through all that effort to wipe names just so people can get upset that names are getting hoarded for selling over and over again, especially when you know potential returning players will also get mad at you for it?

So, a few ppl will get mad, but how about all these ppl that will be able to create or name change to the names that they want? How about all ppl that will be happy, not mad????
    Why shoud EME care so much about a minority that may, or may not return to the game?
    If somebody stop logging for like a 1 year and they don't care even to check their email, then they DESERVE to lose the name!

I don't think you get it, but name sellers will be the ones getting those rare names first. So you're screwed either way.
    I do agree with you though, eme shouldn't be striving to make name holders happy. I wish they did a server merge already and the biggest reason against it atm is "muh names". But that's another topic.

hhhmmm not just that or dare I say much less the biggest reason, think max character count and such that were a pain in the back during last merge. Anyway like you said this is another topic.

To this one now:

I could open up the hypothesis that both the ones that hold the original name, and the ones that want that name, are a minority. How many people are actually unable to use a name they want and didn't alter it somehow to fit? Like, I made a Mystic called Nissan.Skyline.Gtr in AV (hue, epic car tho), but before that I've seen a Priest named Skyline.Biturbo somewhere. Same car, two names, two characters.
    My 1st character for that matter: Kuuchan. Was supposed to be Kudryavka.Noumi, wasn't free (when last wipe came I rushed to get it tho), but just used her nickname. And so it goes, I'm impressed OP's names weren't actual anime stuff, it's usually the ones that get taken and fought over.
    The ones that hold the name and come back to see it changed, how many would actually feel pissed enough to give up coming back after more than a year?

Point being: everyone involved on this is a minority, and in the end, it happens to just be too little to require attention sadly.

And like many of you said, I agree deeply that name hoarders have to be dealt with. It's a dumb thing in my opinion, but the actual issue is the ease of scamming someone. Too much "have faith in me" to be worth the risk and the bother support reporting a scam about a practice you shouldn't even be doing to begin with (correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't name selling a quite gray area ToS wise?).

It's sadly always easy to contour any restrictions other than heavy chat moderation (that too even, but harder...). Like, I can imagine many countermeasures and at the same time see their weaknesses and how to contour them.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    we go over these same arguments every month. 1. get creative with your naming of your character. 2. why should eme cater to those that want a name wipe. 3. what about those that are deployed and doesn't really have the ability to get online to check to see if eme is going to do another name wipe or not. bdo, ro, lol, ff, and so on aren't going to do random name wipes so that new players can get their name they want. last time they had a name wipe, the players either came back long enough not to lose their names, or the name sellers/hoarders got to them first and snagged all the desired names. so if that happens again, do you keep pestering eme to keep doing name wipes until you finally get the name you wanted? I have the same name on every server, not for sale, but for when I want to or if I decide to play on those servers. don't worry I don't have the cute little anime names, so I doubt anyone will want them. if for some reason I did lose my names, its not the end of the world, I will just use my imagination, and come up with new ones. no matter how creative or clever you think you may be when coming up with a name , someone else probably has already thought of it.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it only a few will get mad and lots be happy ?
    so 50 names get wiped your saying 25 will be mad and 75 happy , as id assume you wipe 50 you would have 50 mad and 50 happy
    as for the email , well I was one on hiatus when they did the FF merge as due to where I was stuck with work and no internet there and I never got an email either
    some times its a little hard to be stuck in the middle of nowhere and the only communication you get it when the next supply truck roles thru
  • i think to be able to KEEP you chars name you should be required to level it to 65 and log it in once every 3 months/6 months
    that way name hoarders will have to work hard to keep all their names.
    also after they are 65 the account needs to be online for 1 hour a week/month whatever.
  • 7WANMXD4HM wrote: »
    also after they are 65 the account needs to be online for 1 hour a week/month whatever.

What if you go on holiday for a month w/o your PC then? lol
  • I think if the character is 65, the name should stick for a long time (a year or so). On the other hand, low levels would need to be logged in more recently to preserve the name to deal with low level placeholders.
    i choose not to level some of my characters to level 65 mainly because when a new class comes out I don't want to wait 24 hours for deletion. so that means I should lose my name just because you guys weren't fast enough or new to the game to get your own. 1st come , 1st served.
  • Elinu1Elinu1 Canada ✭✭✭✭
    i choose not to level some of my characters to level 65 mainly because when a new class comes out I don't want to wait 24 hours for deletion. so that means I should lose my name just because you guys weren't fast enough or new to the game to get your own. 1st come , 1st served.

Couldn't agree more. I have several good names(some 65), and I wouldn't want to lose a name to someone else. First come, first serve.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    steal angel :3
  • PagesPages ✭✭✭✭
    Elinu1 wrote: »

Couldn't agree more. I have several good names(some 65), and I wouldn't want to lose a name to someone else. First come, first serve.

When they've cleared names before (both the mass name wipe and the Fey Forest server merge) names were only wiped from characters that hadn't logged in within the past year. Level did not matter, so if you were saving names on low level characters you could simply log in once and protect the name. It served solely to get names off of inactive accounts that would never be seen again.

The only time people really "lost" names was in the server merge, and they would lose names if the other player:
    1. Had logged in within the last year
    and
    2. Had more playtime on the character

So, even in this case, they didn't likely lose their name to a player who played less than them and didn't also deserve to have their name. In my case, I got names from the server merge that were inactive on other servers, because I had them on my account.

Name wipes aren't really an issue for players who are actively playing. They could always increase the range (say, make it 2 years of inactivity) for names to be wiped. The main purpose of name wiping is to get names off of inactive accounts, not necessarily to fight name hoarding/selling which will always exist. Imo, it's better for a name to be on an account for someone to sell than for a name to be on an account that will never log in again. At least in one scenario, there is a chance of the name being used.
    we weren't happy with others talking about taking people's names that aren't 65. I do agree about the 2 years or longer inactive, but that is still a gray area due to military people deployed in areas that don't have internet.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    so in army they cant back to home to see their family while their pass ?