To many Tanks!?

Comments

• because male brawler is new (or simply because with male brawler come 14 days free Elite Status if you can level male brawler to 40). but, that doesn't mean brawler always tank, so many brawler build as DPS as well
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    Partyblast wrote: »
    "Good" = Holding Aggro, providing all your support at appropriate times (depends on the tank), enraging at appropriate times (usually matches your support), Blocking/iframing heavy attacks (in advanced groups you'll actually facetank the minor attacks), Moving to block attacks to allow more dps from the DPS (example: the pushback on second boss in RK, you jump to the jump to block for the DPS so they dont have to iframe), providing a decent DPS output (once again depends on your class).

I know this will inevitably lead to the infamous "skilled v. unskilled" debate, but that to me is just the tank doing their job. Hell, if I'm being honest, I'm happy if the tank in question just knows how being a tank works.

Most of us know about the stigma surrounding brawlers. Hopefully that cleared up some once the men started throwing on the gauntlets.

• PartyblastPartyblast ✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    SageWindu wrote: »
    "Good" = Holding Aggro, providing all your support at appropriate times (depends on the tank), enraging at appropriate times (usually matches your support), Blocking/iframing heavy attacks (in advanced groups you'll actually facetank the minor attacks), Moving to block attacks to allow more dps from the DPS (example: the pushback on second boss in RK, you jump to the jump to block for the DPS so they dont have to iframe), providing a decent DPS output (once again depends on your class).

I know this will inevitably lead to the infamous "skilled v. unskilled" debate, but that to me is just the tank doing their job. Hell, if I'm being honest, I'm happy if the tank in question just knows how being a tank works.

Most of us know about the stigma surrounding brawlers. Hopefully that cleared up some once the men started throwing on the gauntlets.

Sadly there are a lot of tanks that just think the first point is all that matters, and while holding aggro and damage dealing should go hand in hand they might not even be putting out a decent amount of dps.

I also don't see how the class opening up to males changes anything...but sure.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭
    I also don't see how the class opening up to males changes anything...but sure.

I'm... not saying it is. I'm saying that hopefully, once that particular class finally was offered to the male side, the stigma surrounding brawlers had cleared up by then. Did it? I don't know as I don't play as much these days, but I hope it did.

• voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    Being a tank main is absolute suffering without a loyal static or at the very least a pocket healer. There're tons of tanks and a party only ever needs one, so an idiot could work out the conclusion: lots of tanks get left out. I hope you have a DPS alt ready to regularly switch to. In fact, the general willingness to take *any* tank flies in the face of this notion that people care about quality among their tanks. I see terrible tanks getting frequent runs, even when people complain about them afterwards, while actual decent tanks will log in, see that the tank slots are all full, and log out for the evening. I actually know a guy who does this all the time, complains about this awful tank in stormcry gear who can't hold aggro, yet he runs with him constantly. Can't for the life of me understand why he doesn't just invite the laundry list of bored/good tanks with nothing to do, but there you have it. The bar is low as [filtered], and even if it miffs people when certain tanks don't do more than just hold aggro, it's rarely enough to stop them from inviting them in future runs.

I didn't mean to rant. TLDR get friends or your experience will suck. Take it with a grain of salt when people say there's a tank scarcity. If anything there's a scarcity of GOOD DPS for all these timed/shield-phase dungeon mechanics. Make a warrior tbh, you can hybrid tank when you wanna tank or be a dps when your group already has a tank. No more switching and you always get gear xp.
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    I still get sub 3 min queues on low/mid IMS runs as a tank as of today outside of a few occasions.

LFG-wise it really depends on how famous you are. If you have good reputation, your party fills up really quickly. If you are a nobody you won't get far regardless of your gear or role.

As for OP saying 5 tanks in IMS pre 65, it is impossible. There was a bug I have seen in Velik's Hold (7man instance) in the past that didn't include me as a player when I was tanking, and pulled in a second tank, thus there were a total of 8 people in the dungeon, but in 5 man parties, there is no opportunity to get this bug due to party limitations (if that happened the entire party would likely get a memory leak and forceshut). You can however get 4 (tanks + dps) and 1 healer, making healer queues the fastest while levelling.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    Theres alot of tank mains that never get asked because theres many better tanks out there that would be a better pick.
    It's not about holding aggro anymore these days as a tank. It's how much damage you can do and buff up-time thanks to dps meters. Tanks that hold aggro but deal low dps get left out so again you have to be really skilled/top tier tank to be always picked. Good luck as a new player with the hardest role to master.

And the funny thing is my static always have hard time getting a capable dps so we have to cross-que with friends from TR/MT to get a run going thanks to the DPS check/shield.

• voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lapomko wrote: »
    Theres alot of tank mains that never get asked because theres many better tanks out there that would be a better pick.
    It's not about holding aggro anymore these days as a tank. It's how much damage you can do and buff up-time thanks to dps meters. Tanks that hold aggro but deal low dps get left out so again you have to be really skilled/top tier tank to be always picked. Good luck as a new player with the hardest role to master.

One annoying factor is when dungeons are released that *don't* ask much of a tank (that endless sea of final bosses that didn't move, for example, like desolarus, the tree at demokron factory, etc.), so you have groups that stop caring about their tank's skill because no skill is required. RM is great because its second boss punishes tanks who need more practice and its third boss asks the tank to pay attention and time their dodges and manage their RE/iframes. We need more dungeons like RM before tanks can be called "the hardest role to master" again, because right now in a majority of content it's mega braindead and there's barely any pressure on them. More positioning battles, more tank-fights plzthanks.
    Lapomko wrote: »
    And the funny thing is my static always have hard time getting a capable dps so we have to cross-que with friends from TR/MT to get a run going thanks to the DPS check/shield.
    That is so true. Good DPS are so hard to find these days. I've put my tank on the shelf lately and started gearing my old zerk because I end up switching a lot anyway when my friends want to tank and this good-dps bottleneck is irritating as [filtered]. Never seen an mmo where there're tons of support players just sitting around idly while there're barely any (good) dps.
  • RathgarRathgar ✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    Too many tanks in Tera...hang on a sec, I have to get this out first HAHAHAHA!!

People have already hit on what needs to be said on how IM works but - in no way are there enough Tanks in Tera. I stopped doing Guardian Legion altogether because there is never a Tank of any kind to be found. I have to put way more effort into doing damage chasing Mexican jumping bean mobs all over the place. It's no longer worth the time investment. Hopefully when more male Brawlers are level 65 and il439 people can bother doing these again.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rathgar wrote: »

People have already hit on what needs to be said on how IM works but - in no way are there enough Tanks in Tera. I stopped doing Guardian Legion altogether because there is never a Tank of any kind to be found. I have to put way more effort into doing damage chasing Mexican jumping beans mobs all over the place. It's no longer worth the time investment. Hopefully when more male Brawlers are level 65 and il439 people can bother doing these again.

They probably meant 5-star dungeons. It's true that it's easier to find one tank compared to 3 very strong dps that need to push out very high dps because of the wipe timers.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    voidy wrote: »
    [...]
    One annoying factor is when dungeons are released that *don't* ask much of a tank (that endless sea of final bosses that didn't move, for example, like desolarus, the tree at demokron factory, etc.), [...]

hehe you reminded me of MANY of my DFNM runs where I had to go front (as the healer by the way) to cover up for a missing front player and ress tank. More often than would be normal on a single run by the way
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26
    Rathgar wrote: »

People have already hit on what needs to be said on how IM works but - in no way are there enough Tanks in Tera. I stopped doing Guardian Legion altogether because there is never a Tank of any kind to be found. I have to put way more effort into doing damage chasing Mexican jumping bean mobs all over the place. It's no longer worth the time investment. Hopefully when more male Brawlers are level 65 and il439 people can bother doing these again.

Tanks are rare for guardians because tanking against a dozen people in +7 sc with no healer to give you mana or heal you so you can play aggressively is a [filtered] experience. I have a tank and I could do guardians but I don't because of that, and because usually a second tank will come along and compete with me for aggro. It sucks, but it's just easier to do it on my healers. Blame the game for that.
  • GatokatzenGatokatzen ✭✭✭
    That's because tanks and healers are the best classes to play the game faster right now, with my tank and healer I can find parties each 2 min , while as dps if isnt the boredoom of chickenous george. You have to waste 25 min or 15 ,even hours wating for a single low level dugen, or battleground party. God bless tank and healers