Oceanic players on the forced restriction to use EU servers

Comments

• Wi2ard wrote: »
    Wi2ard wrote: »
    The simple fact here is that this company is choosing to take money from players in the Oceanic region without providing even a basic level of service to be begging for our patronage. If you cannot grasp this very simple concept, why are you even wasting our time and your own with this nonsense reply?

While I have been in agreement with you about server region lock, lets be fair: it's free to play, so any Oceanic players that spend money do so knowing what service they can expect. The argument against the region lock for Oceanic players is good enough without arguing the injustice of the cash shop to those same players.

If they were not actively stating they service that area as they have a selective lsit of countries they service, you would be right but that is not the case. They have a very specific list of countries they say they service with this game and if that service is far below even the minimum expected levels of service then there is a reason to bring their bottom line into this. You;re free to disagree but the fact is they have stated who they serve and should be held to that list with a reasonable standard of service.

When a company fails to meet expectations they set, stop buying from that company. Oceanic needs better service; Oceanic players can highlight their discontent by refusing to spend money. If a group of people say they don't like something, but continue to buy it, a company doesn't have to address 'it'.

I can't tell if you understand the argument or not. On one hand you agree, then at the end you go against the rest of your comment... We like this game, looks great, we know friends who will be playing the game. The company tells us they service our area. We have every right to try to get attention on the matter from them regardless of if we are or are not spending money yet. I refuse to spend a dollar on this game and I hope other Oce players are smart enough to do the same until we see something from EME regarding the matter and a fix addressing it. They can likewise continue to falsely advertise their service and ignore us if they choose, ruining their own image and burning bridges with current and potential customers.
  • Wi2ardWi2ard ✭✭✭
    I can't tell if you understand the argument or not. On one hand you agree, then at the end you go against the rest of your comment... We like this game, looks great, we know friends who will be playing the game. The company tells us they service our area. We have every right to try to get attention on the matter from them regardless of if we are or are not spending money yet. I refuse to spend a dollar on this game and I hope other Oce players are smart enough to do the same until we see something from EME regarding the matter and a fix addressing it. They can likewise continue to falsely advertise their service and ignore us if they choose, ruining their own image and burning bridges with current and potential customers.

Thats what I was trying to get from you. That is a well laid out and thorough argument. Aside from 'false advertisement', which in America at least is an extreemly specific charge that they are clearly not guilty of, it would be very hard to pick apart or cast aside that statement as poorly formed, or written in anger or frustration. I like it, where do I sign?
  • This is an Internal Discussion at the moment, so any additional information not already mentioned will help with get this moving forward.

"do not know of any other multiplayer game that restrict access to EU "

Can you provide some specific examples ?

Is it PS4, Xbox, PC, All Platforms ?

Do you have more examples of Online Games that default to NA ?

This will be very help to our Internal discussion.
  • VektorWithakVektorWithak ✭✭
    edited March 26
    ON PS4 and BX1 you can play Warframe, Neverwinter, FF14, Paladins and many others with server selections in game. Those are just titles with similar models/gameplay.

On PC games like WOW and LOL used to but they now offer Oceania servers(so does Warframe now but most Oce players still play on NA).

I know Destiny 2 and Diablo 3 matches me with NA players when I play PVE in that game as well.

I honestly don't play that many games so if anyone knows how Fortnite and others like ESO, etc run chime in.

Some of thes games do offer ping limits in their matchmaking so I can play NA for example but won't be matched to a game with over X ping but that is a peer to peer solution and not relevant if you are hosting 100% of games on your own servers.

If there is any other info you think I can add just ask.

Personal Thoughts on the matter: For the most part Australian and likely other Oce players have gotten used to predicting a lot of moves instead of reaction speeds due to our countries net and the fact that since the earliest days of online gaming we have been playing almost exclusively on NA servers if we weren't direct hosting/peer to peer or in the rare but slowly increasing case we have our own servers. The ping sucks in PVP so I have tended to stick to PVE almsot exclusively because of it where the ping tends to lean on less frustrating most of the time.
  • Wi2ardWi2ard ✭✭✭
    FF 14, in fact, does not region lock servers. I can play on NA, EU, or JAP from the same account.
    edited March 26
    Wi2ard wrote: »
    FF 14, in fact, does not region lock servers. I can play on NA, EU, or JAP from the same account.

I'm pretty certain from when I played it though I was defaulted to NA as an Oce player. I don't remember there being a separate server for us. Doesn't it recommend servers for you when you first start?
  • Wi2ardWi2ard ✭✭✭
    Recommends, yes, but the region can be changed. I just wanted it to be clear to him that some MMOs do not lock players into regions.
    edited March 27
    @CobaltDragon I see the Founders packs available now but I cannot in good faith justify purchasing them until I know I won;t be locked to Eu.

What is the discussion atm and how does it relate to the game? What can we expect? What timeframe for a change? If someone invests right now, what happens to their founders packs/characters if we do get NA servers enabled(which is what should have been done from the outset).

Your losing sales because of a lack of transparency on the issue. It's great you occasionally jump in with a comment but there is no real information coming out of EME and it will effect your launch profit margin and the following months if not years.
  • IppikiIppiki ✭✭
    Colour me beyond confused that is considered an inconvenience that’s not even worth contemplating, to simply make a US PSN.

What is the issue? That people can’t see your gamerscore or achievements? They don’t carry over?

That you are worried about breaking TOS? Most companies turn a blind eye these days to importing, as long as you behave otherwise. Or their TOS says something that actually allows it. Ie.:

I play a Japanese game that is not only region locked, it is IP locked and we had to pay for a modem with VPN capability to be able to connect to it via consoles that lack software vpn. Yet I have a legit Japanese address, and I bought the game while in japan, a situation that’s covered in the TOS, which actually literally says “if you want to play outside Japan because you bought the game while in Japan then moved overseas, you have to use a VPN.”

This has nothing on the situation in the 90s and early 2000s where playing wrong region meant:

Having to purchase an import console at inflated price.
    Having to purchase import games at inflated price.
    Having to buy a new TV because yours did not work in 60hz.
    Having to mod your consoles electronically rather than pay the inflated price.
    Having to pay for increasingly more expensive stepdown transformers as consoles got more powerful.

So I’m British and I live in the USA. I am therefore legitimately playing the NA version or Tera. If I heard the EU version somehow had better ping, we’d be on that instead.

Why is it such a mental disconnect to just have a dedicated foreign PSN?

• Ippiki wrote: »
    Colour me beyond confused that is considered an inconvenience that’s not even worth contemplating, to simply make a US PSN.

What is the issue? That people can’t see your gamerscore or achievements? They don’t carry over?

That you are worried about breaking TOS? Most companies turn a blind eye these days to importing, as long as you behave otherwise. Or their TOS says something that actually allows it. Ie.:

I play a Japanese game that is not only region locked, it is IP locked and we had to pay for a modem with VPN capability to be able to connect to it via consoles that lack software vpn. Yet I have a legit Japanese address, and I bought the game while in japan, a situation that’s covered in the TOS, which actually literally says “if you want to play outside Japan because you bought the game while in Japan then moved overseas, you have to use a VPN.”

This has nothing on the situation in the 90s and early 2000s where playing wrong region meant:

Having to pay for increasingly more expensive stepdown transformers as consoles got more powerful.

So I’m British and I live in the USA. I am therefore legitimately playing the NA version or Tera. If I heard the EU version somehow had better ping, we’d be on that instead.

Every single purchase you make would also need to be done on the NA PSN websites separate to the main store. VPNs have an additional cost involved if you want a reasonable service so for free to play players in a free to play game that is not a reasonable expectation either.

Why are you so surprised? Players expect a basic level of service from a game instead of having to mess around in any way, no matter how small to make the game do what it should be designed to do. On principle, there is no reason the game shouldn't allow us to swap servers as we choose without the need to mess around with external nonsense.

I can;t tell by your tone if you agree or disagree that they should offer the server situation and think players should be expected to make a new email and PSN and do all sales on an external PSN as well as losing all linked services to your main account in the process and forcing everyone you play with normally to add a 2nd account. You can say they are minor issues, I say they are issues that shouldn't exist.
  • Wi2ardWi2ard ✭✭✭
    Ippiki wrote: »

Playing a game on a different account should be last resort. You are right that this isn't 90's or 00's, so why are we even being locked in to region specific servers in the first place?
  • IppikiIppiki ✭✭
    I’m just really, really confused that making a new account is such a huge deal in a situation where there’s not even a VPN involved, nor is the situation anything to do with racism or bigotry of players crying for foreigners to be blocked (as it is on many Japanese games) it’s just either licensing or something to do with how the Korean owners lumped you in with the “other pal countries” perhaps over ignorance per performance of PAL console variants? The reason I’m confused is I have multiple accounts I hop between to play various regions of games and Sony really no longer care or do anything about it. I doubt enmasse have the clout to change these decisions but the point is, they did at least put a word in. Beyond that I don’t see how it;s an issue beyond “nobody can see my gamerscore” or “I have to keep funds on two accounts.”
    edited March 27
    Ippiki wrote: »
    I’m just really, really confused that making a new account is such a huge deal in a situation where there’s not even a VPN involved, nor is the situation anything to do with racism or bigotry of players crying for foreigners to be blocked (as it is on many Japanese games) it’s just either licensing or something to do with how the Korean owners lumped you in with the “other pal countries” perhaps over ignorance per performance of PAL console variants? The reason I’m confused is I have multiple accounts I hop between to play various regions of games and Sony really no longer care or do anything about it. I doubt enmasse have the clout to change these decisions but the point is, they did at least put a word in. Beyond that I don’t see how it;s an issue beyond “nobody can see my gamerscore” or “I have to keep funds on two accounts.”

... Dude gtfo. This is like the 5th time someone has said something so simpleminded. We have a PSN with all our accounts linked to it, I don't need or want another email and another psn and to mess around with purchases from another region that wouldn't be covered by my nations laws and protections. Na, I'll pass mate. Screw you for thinking it's just about our scores and not understanding the principle of the matter. We shouldn't have to fluff around for a basic feature.
  • IppikiIppiki ✭✭
    edited March 27
    A basic feature is playing on the country’s server you choose using the same ID?

Not a basic feature I have on any of my consoles or even on my IOS devices. It’s not, btw getting better. It got better a few years ago with multi region functionality on PS3. It’s since got worse overall because of “No BR” or “JP only” style bigotry. Almost every game ties you to a server, yo just don’t like the one you got tied to in this case because your friends are not on it.

As a lifelong immigrant to multiple countries, my RL friends are rarely on the same servers as me. That’s why I play with stupid VPNs and workarounds. The workaround in this case is the simplest one ever. You just have to make an email account then use your Australian issued credit card to buy PSN points (given I doubt Sony of America block it, like Sony of Japan do - in the latter’s case complying with bigoted laws dressed up as anti money laundering.)
  • There is a valid concern for those restrictions as those regions are known for plaguing games with cheaters. Doesn't matter how many of the players are good, the sheer volume of hackers severly reduces game quality.

I don't care if it takes me one click, I'm not going to use any workaround for a basic feature that should be implimented in the base game. If you cannot grasp the principle then I cannot help you. It's quite simple.