We're streaming right now - join us!

To many Tanks!?

13»

Comments

• Hi,
    First of all, this game starts at lv65.
    Second, when people say there's no tanks, they meant good tanks who are willing to spend time and energy as a tank at end-game.
    Many people start out as a tank or had tank alts end up switching to dps as their main.
    Because for tanks in TERA,
    You need to know the boss' attack pattern, when to attack, block or iframe to maintain aggro.
    You need to know the dungeons mechanism in and out.
    You need to know which position is best for dps, many end-game dungeon requires high dps and timer
    You need to know where is safe for healer to come in and resurrect people when someone died.(ex: RKE, RMHM)
    You need to have good gear so you don't lose aggro
    You need to have a peaceful mind so when you keep losing aggro and get mock by dps you won't get mad
    ---
    My main is Zerk but I also have 2 tank alts, 2 healer alts, 5 dps alts.
    I would said playing a tank is definitely more stressful than other classes, hence good end-game tanks are rare and the numbers are lessen(many my tank friends either stop play TERA or switch to DPS/healer)
  • aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Second, when people say there's no tanks, they meant good tanks who are willing to spend time and energy as a tank at end-game.
    Many people start out as a tank or had tank alts end up switching to dps as their main.
    You need to know the boss' attack pattern, when to attack, block or iframe to maintain aggro.
    You need to know which position is best for dps, many end-game dungeon requires high dps and timer
    You need to know where is safe for healer to come in and resurrect people when someone died.(ex: RKE, RMHM)
    You need to have a peaceful mind so when you keep losing aggro and get mock by dps you won't get mad
    ---
    I would said playing a tank is definitely more stressful than other classes, hence good end-game tanks are rare and the numbers are lessen(many my tank friends either stop play TERA or switch to DPS/healer)

Actually that is wrong, more people start out as a dps and then have a tank alt. And tanking is honestly easier than Dpsing lol.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited March 27
    I don't know. As a DPS I can easily dodge the back attacks no problem and just chill but as a lancer I have alot of stress. You need to keep your rotation tight as possible or you lose aggro from 3m dps. You can't get hit or you die in 1-2 hits while slaying. Some attacks can't be blocked so they have to timed perfectly. Mechanics can't be done too wonky or it tilts and kill the dps because he moves with you. And many more that people expect of you while tanking.
  • TwilitAbyssTwilitAbyss ✭✭
    edited March 27
    I'm not surprised at that possibility tbh, especially considering how I had once been queued in with an entire party of Elins. It was lit AF lmao

.. The boss never stood a chance;;
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭
    voidy wrote: »
    Rathgar wrote: »
    Too many tanks in Tera...hang on a sec, I have to get this out first HAHAHAHA!!

People have already hit on what needs to be said on how IM works but - in no way are there enough Tanks in Tera. I stopped doing Guardian Legion altogether because there is never a Tank of any kind to be found. I have to put way more effort into doing damage chasing Mexican jumping bean mobs all over the place. It's no longer worth the time investment. Hopefully when more male Brawlers are level 65 and il439 people can bother doing these again.

Tanks are rare for guardians because tanking against a dozen people in +7 sc with no healer to give you mana or heal you so you can play aggressively is a [filtered] experience. I have a tank and I could do guardians but I don't because of that, and because usually a second tank will come along and compete with me for aggro. It sucks, but it's just easier to do it on my healers. Blame the game for that.

Or better yet, there are several tanks, each in a different position, and they're all competing for aggro and the boss starts spinning as such.

That's always fun.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭
    aeee98 wrote: »
    Hi,
    ---

Actually that is wrong, more people start out as a dps and then have a tank alt. And tanking is honestly easier than Dpsing lol.

I'm one such player and I have no qualms admitting that - I'm a slayer main (because I love greatswords... n-no, I'm not compensating! :anguished: ), but I made a lancer initially to capitalize on the then-dire need for tank classes. I thought I could get more loot and love and adoration and whatnot.

I still have that lancer, through all the ups and downs and everything in between (remember the gunner/"Go Berserk!" patches? that [filtered] was rough...). And while I still wish that lancers had more offensive options (as I was hot off Vindictus at the time I started playing TERA and was a Fiona main there), I don't regret creating mine. If anything, I've gained a new perspective and thus respect for the defensive classes as a whole. :smiley:
  • walking1987walking1987 ✭✭
    edited March 27
    Actually that is wrong, more people start out as a dps and then have a tank alt. And tanking is honestly easier than Dpsing lol.[/quote]

Hi, Im not sure where you get the idea tanks are easier than dps.

In an end-game dungeon run when tank make a mistake and died (iframe too early/too late, miss block on some powerful hit from boss

Aggro goes everywhere results in dps lost or death to dps and healer.

when above happened, dungeons with timer like the last boss RMHM usually end up as wipe.

But if a dps made a mistake and die, healer just go in and resurrect...boss won't turn and run around killing everyone.

Also, if dps is not familiar with the dungeon, he can play safe and focus on dodge attacks instead of maximize dps output.

Tanks can not do that, he would lose aggro right away.

---
    In terms of playing the mechanic in dungeon, tanks might not be the hardest.

But tank is definitely the most stressful to play because one mistake would cause the whole team.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    SageWindu wrote: »

People have already hit on what needs to be said on how IM works but - in no way are there enough Tanks in Tera. I stopped doing Guardian Legion altogether because there is never a Tank of any kind to be found. I have to put way more effort into doing damage chasing Mexican jumping bean mobs all over the place. It's no longer worth the time investment. Hopefully when more male Brawlers are level 65 and il439 people can bother doing these again.

Tanks are rare for guardians because tanking against a dozen people in +7 sc with no healer to give you mana or heal you so you can play aggressively is a [filtered] experience. I have a tank and I could do guardians but I don't because of that, and because usually a second tank will come along and compete with me for aggro. It sucks, but it's just easier to do it on my healers. Blame the game for that.

Or better yet, there are several tanks, each in a different position, and they're all competing for aggro and the boss starts spinning as such.

That's always fun.

But remember, there's a tank shortage ;^)
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

That's always fun.

Tho if I remember, people love doing it on tank cause blocks, self heal and being able to still do DPS to clear the Guardian Missions faster than a random DPS class that just HAS to chase the back
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »

That's always fun.

Tho if I remember, people love doing it on tank cause blocks, self heal and being able to still do DPS to clear the Guardian Missions faster than a random DPS class that just HAS to chase the back

It's weird. On the one hand I hear people saying there are no tanks at guardians. On the other hand, whenever I go to tank guardians I have to deal with other tanks already there jacking aggro which lowers my DPS. Because of this contradiction, I'm forced to believe that during regular hours this tank shortage is really not bad at all or maybe the people complaining are just super unlucky, idk
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    It's just not worth doing it on a tank class because of contribution imbalance that's why you don't see people tanking it. My warrior just rips the guardian bam apart usually placing 1st.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28
    > @Lapomko said:
    > It's just not worth doing it on a tank class because of contribution imbalance that's why you don't see people tanking it. My warrior just rips the guardian bam apart usually placing 1st.

Weird cause when I did guardians with my lancer friend (I was on priest) he would always earn as many as boxes I did which is 10-12 per mission and would even sometimes pass me on the leaderboard. Lancer contribution is huge in guardians and they're strong as hell.
    Also @voidy the reason why people complain about the lack of tanks in guardians is because a lot of the times the tanks that are there are absolutely awful and don't know how to hold aggro so the dps don't feel that there's a tank. The reason why you feel the presence of bad tanks is because they keep shouting for aggro.
    For example I've been seeing this one guy on ch for months now since the day guardians started. I see this brawler every day doing guardians and he can't hold aggro from my priest. I inspect him and the dude has +5 sc weapon and double crit rolls on it lmao. He doesn't use growing fury. He uses that rampage or w.e skill on the boss. It's been MONTHS since guardians have been out and the dude still has no idea how to play brawler.
    My idea is that tons bad brawlers come out of the woodwork to do guardians but none of them really participate in endgame content. Like, just stand at the ghillie entrance during events or something, the % of brawlers will be the same as the % of all other dps.
    It's a weird phenomena but all the baddies probably play brawler because it's the best for solo play.
  • SrosaSrosa ✭✭
    edited March 28
    everytime i hear "too many tanks" or "tanks is fun class" this kind of thread make me stop playing tanks like why didn't anyone told about endgame?
    Endgame imo is bit stupid and such makes tank feel bad about themself,

well person just gonna blame on tanks and such, i blame on healer for afking and watching me as i tanking it and hold aggro and keep myself in position as i die to poop.

this tera at lv65 dungeon tanking a boss is not fun at all, unless you're super pro know everything in first time running.

being as tanks people always wanted perfect tanks like 100% for everything or else you're fired, inexperience tanks like myself doesn't get to join their team cause of "bad" tanks.

if i were tank i told myself "why am i playing this game" "why would anyone gives me suggestion about playing a tanks" "how do i feel about myself as tank" all answer is "bad" tanks always get pooped on by veteran while experienced tanks make everyone happy, to me it doesn't make me happy, im bit disappointed on dps part for whatsoever.

13»