[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Things i hate in mmos that tera fixes :D

Lightweight Tank controls: When you move backwards you slow down. I just hate it personally it makes you fell like your limiting your self good ensample is black desert online or blade and soul If they didn't have tank controls god it would be so fun.

Travel: Most mmo's try to nickle and dime you for this GREAT exsample black desert. no teleport no fast travel. no nothing but faster mount and "stupid back pack for its weight system so you carry more stuff.

Proper Over world: Its easy to understand and you don't get lost. tho they could open up the gaps bit more for better exp just over all its better then other mmo's I seen... cough blade and soul. wait who said that wasn't me.

No lack of quality of life: Meaning you don't force a person to do something supid to do something. Travel somewhere on foot over 10mins > Sit in 1 spot to make your mp recover and no way to fix that.. with out tons of money or cash shop items. Great ensample is mabinogi for that. Just has a bad overall player exp. if converted the item to fix mp would cost 90 g in tera per potion and you uselly need 5 of them.

No instructions on how to use your gamepad in your game. Most mmo's treat game pads as a secondary thing and forget to change your buttons when you change it to controller to match it black desert a great example of this blunder.

if a game has one of these elements I sadly cant play it. (Properly due to having a basis. I also hate pvp to a passion "") if that helps you to figure out my mind set. xD when replying please do so as a pure pve player.

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Black Desert is meant for that travel wise so that you actually explore the game. -_-
    The way Tera is now you can reach level 65 without stepping foot into 90% of the other areas on the game. While I like Tera this is a huge problem for the game.

Better EXP? You already get handed a fast trip to level 65. What this game needs is less xp. Not in the sense that it takes you forever to level. But you can reach max level in a day or two.

Apparently you weren't here when Tera had the stamina system. Your max HP and MP decreased the less stamina you had.
    To recover it you had to sit by a campfire and wait for your stamina and HP/MP go back up.

Is this a serious a topic?
  • While I don't mind that Tera doesn't make you sit still for ages or travel on foot for ages just to talk to an NPC only to be told to talk to another NPC, the current levelling system is pretty downright broken in terms of exploring the world.

As it stands you can reach 60/65 only taking as many steps as the old island of dawn used to take to complete. Practically everything that gives major exp hands you a teleport to it, so you never need to walk anywhere and just click buttons to go to the place with the exp.

So it is nice that Tera offers the convenience and speed, it's also a big gripe lots of older players have with the game because so little of the game world is used any more.
  • The horse travel in bdo is one of the best things about the game. My condolences about the eng gear grind though.
  • I've been playing the game for 3 and a half years and I still don't know what the general location of Mount Tyrannus is without looking at the map.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Black Desert is meant for that travel wise so that you actually explore the game. -_-
    The way Tera is now you can reach level 65 without stepping foot into 90% of the other areas on the game. While I like Tera this is a huge problem for the game.

Better EXP? You already get handed a fast trip to level 65. What this game needs is less xp. Not in the sense that it takes you forever to level. But you can reach max level in a day or two.

Apparently you weren't here when Tera had the stamina system. Your max HP and MP decreased the less stamina you had.
    To recover it you had to sit by a campfire and wait for your stamina and HP/MP go back up.

man he is right, try to go to valencia or port ratt or the pirate island in black desert to see why he right, damn we dont even have flying mount in black desert :/

in black desert too you dont have to go in 90 % area in the game to level up or farm :)

well stamina potion was easy to get or you used dafi, campfire was only usefull for purple for charm
  • Modern mmos: no1 cares about "exploring the world", do it if you feel like to, no1's gonna stop you - but don't force ppl to do the same cuz it's boring.
    Want to get achievements/travel? Ya can do it at lvl 65, but I still can't find what's the fun of running from a NPC to the other, that's what I used to hate of MMOs and gladly TERA doesn't forces you to follow the quests to lvl up *cough cough* BNS *cough cough*
    Modern mmos part 2: no1 likes lvling up that takes ages, *cough cough* RO *cough cough*, or even lvl brakets... they die fast when the game gets more mature and the hype for the new release ends, and the fact you don't find many ppl of your same lvl as new player while you're forced to do dngs to progress *cough cough* RO *cough cough* is what drives ppl away in the time of a "screw that sht."
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭

Naming Stamina was even funny honestly, what has changed for the better got changed, why bring back a past topic like "hey, look how it USED TO be worse!".

Yeah I bet it IS serious, it's just opinion after all, nobody has to like the same lengthy leveling and exploring after all, which are still options, albeit gimped to an extent. The open world being underused is taken as a fact for many players who used to do the lengthy leveling, it still doesn't mean you can't set foot on it, nor that everyone should feel the same. I honestly have done it so much I'm thankful that I can just blaze my way through a few dungeons and Kumas, which I even love.

Some of the additions to the game are very basic QoL stuff that I don't know if you feel like they're positive or not but I sure do, like having all teleport points available at start. It was seriously annoying to have to go running on horse from place to place just to add key locations to the map on each alt after doing it on all previous ones. For those who don't want to just jump into the place, just... don't... jump into the place. You've just been given more options.

What I agree is that a lengthy leveling option should get revamped/reintroduced parallel to the current blazing one, as to improve both experiences. Forcing the player into either of them tho is just annoying, it's literally deciding what one should like or not.
  • Modern mmos: no1 cares about "exploring the world", do it if you feel like to, no1's gonna stop you - but don't force ppl to do the same cuz it's boring.
    Want to get achievements/travel? Ya can do it at lvl 65, but I still can't find what's the fun of running from a NPC to the other, that's what I used to hate of MMOs and gladly TERA doesn't forces you to follow the quests to lvl up *cough cough* BNS *cough cough*
    Modern mmos part 2: no1 likes lvling up that takes ages, *cough cough* RO *cough cough*, or even lvl brakets... they die fast when the game gets more mature and the hype for the new release ends, and the fact you don't find many ppl of your same lvl as new player while you're forced to do dngs to progress *cough cough* RO *cough cough* is what drives ppl away in the time of a "screw that sht."

The main reason I made this thread is to point out Tank controls. They were bad in most rpgs in 1999----2004 there are still bad now. there was period of time when things didn't have tank controls aka 2005
    2014. recently they been coming back which is rather sad. Backing up slowly Slower then combat speed is light weight tank controls. All the "Fun combat games people prise about don't have this from what I heard. Zelda / Skyrim / Whicher / Dark souls. Before someone points out there not mmo's I do know that but I'm just trying to explain with ensamples people know of. To clarified moving back 90% speed of normal in combat is not tank controls moving back 30-50 present is. Also different anmations aren't tank controlls either I'm reffering too when you can move forward 100% side to side 75% back 30-50% this is "Light weight tank controlls. Play blade and soul to see what I mean its the definition of tank controls.
  • It helps that Tera started out as a P2P MMO, so with the exception of 3% chance drop lootboxes that are sold with real money, the game's systems are pretty fair.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently you weren't here when Tera had the stamina system. Your max HP and MP decreased the less stamina you had. To recover it you had to sit by a campfire and wait for your stamina and HP/MP go back up.

I forget - wasn't your damage output affected as well when you didn't have "excess" stamina or whatever it was called?

• > @vkobe said:
    > BlackHeartNoire wrote: »
    >
    > Black Desert is meant for that travel wise so that you actually explore the game. -_-
    > The way Tera is now you can reach level 65 without stepping foot into 90% of the other areas on the game. While I like Tera this is a huge problem for the game.
    >
    > Better EXP? You already get handed a fast trip to level 65. What this game needs is less xp. Not in the sense that it takes you forever to level. But you can reach max level in a day or two.
    >
    > Apparently you weren't here when Tera had the stamina system. Your max HP and MP decreased the less stamina you had.
    > To recover it you had to sit by a campfire and wait for your stamina and HP/MP go back up.
    >
    > Is this a serious a topic?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > man he is right, try to go to valencia or port ratt or the pirate island in black desert to see why he right, damn we dont even have flying mount in black desert :/
    >
    > in black desert too you dont have to go in 90 % area in the game to level up or farm :)
    >
    > well stamina potion was easy to get or you used dafi, campfire was only usefull for purple for charm

He's still wrong. BDO doesn't have invisible walls or barriers for exploration and travel, Tera on the other hand does.

I'm also amazed that you play BDO and dont know about the Tier 9 Aduahnott flying pegasus. Regardless of how hard it is to obtain, it's still there.

Also, not everyone plays BDO to grind or level up, the game is so massive on top of all the variations of content it offers, that you are seriously limiting yourself if you are only playing it like a typical theme park gear treadmill. BDO wins in the world content and exploration, no contest.
  • KauraKaura ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I tried out BDO recently and swapped to Tera, simply because the world in BDO seemed so lackluster and dull. Tera on the other hand is mystical and beautiful. So, IMO Tera wins the world content/exploration contest quite easily.

Graphically, BDO is amazing, but artistically it's meh.
  • Jordansb1Jordansb1 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I've kind of lost the feeling that TERA is even an MMORPG. A true MMORPG will allow you to explore the world, level up over time, and remain challenging throughout the entirety of the game, not just endgame.

TERA is more about "grind as fast as possible to 65 and then grind for gear for the rest of eternity as we slowly add more content". The leveling system is a joke, there's no emphasis on actually reading any of the quests unless you want to take an extra 15 hours to do it all, and you can just endlessly queue for dungeons and fight BAMs until you reach 60. Only then are you actually forced to go through some of the story quests, and even then you can just grind Sabex and Catacombs to 65 anyway.

This game is a dungeon queue simulator, and once you get bored of the dungeons, you get bored of the game. I've been a F2P player for about four years and I'm glad I haven't spent any money on it. The combat in the game is addictive as hell, even better than BDO in my opinion, but there's so much more that they should change to make the game a better MMORPG.

I get it, running around on foot super slowly isn't attractive, and it's nice to just buy a scroll and instantly appear where you need to be, but you have to understand that games like BDO... hell, even GTA V, which isn't even an MMORPG, makes you travel around on foot to explore the beauty of the world, actually interact with other players, and take time to earn experience and explore every aspect of the game.

I'm not saying I dislike TERA, and I'm not fawning over other MMORPGs, but the fact is that more games have taken a hold of this "super fast instant level earn exp as fast as possible and grind end game forever for no reason give us money" mentality, and these games often fail. TERA hasn't failed for multiple reasons, one of which is that the combat is so addicting, and the other is that the parent company has at least some money to sink into the game.

I miss the old days where I was trying to explore Island of Dawn when I spawned clueless about what to do. I miss the days where avatar weapons didn't instantly kill every mob at your level, and I miss the days where BAMs needed a party to kill. I miss the days were all the new classes didn't have this infinite stun/stagger/knockdown combo BS. The game was social, it took some time to get what we wanted, and it was somewhat challenging and balanced. Ever since Gunner (which came out about two months after I joined), the game has gone downhill from there.

Of course old TERA had its problems, so does new TERA, so does every other game. The point of this post isn't to disagree with what OP said, you like what you like and that's fine, but I just wanted to point out that the beauty of the MMORPG is dying because of this mentality that companies need to get you to endgame instantly without really exploring the world.

TLDR: Companies making games easier with fast travel, easy exp, etc is one of many things that's killing the MMORPG genre. It's not a problem to like it, but it's not healthy for it to stay, or at least get as bad as TERAs' has.
  • Old Tera had alot less problems than new Tera, in my opinion. The core game is the same, though the stamina system was actually a nice feature and I know that's just the rose tinted goggles, but getting leggos automatically every few levels kinda feels cheap. In a way, it's nice to be able to hit 65 in a day because tbh, the only challenging content is at 65, and you'll either need a guild, or alot of grinding to get to it.

The biggest, nicest thing about New Tera is the community, and I know that sounds really, really dumb, but Tera launched at a time when bigfatjiji was a popular streamer and the holier than thou LoL cancer sort of took over. Now, at least the people here love the game for what it is.
  • > @Kaura said:
    > I tried out BDO recently and swapped to Tera, simply because the world in BDO seemed so lackluster and dull. Tera on the other hand is mystical and beautiful. So, IMO Tera wins the world content/exploration contest quite easily.
    >
    > Graphically, BDO is amazing, but artistically it's meh.

I'm all for having preferences, but saying that Tera has more in terms of world exploration and content is flat out incorrect. Chances are that you left before even dipping your toes in what content BDO has to offer, because when it comes to exploration and content in the world, BDO takes the cake. Whether or not that appeals to you is s entirely different matter.