[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Reaper or Valkyrie? Help me choose! (didn't mean to create a question, please contribute :D)

Ahoy!
I played TERA a long time ago (before Reaper got in), and now I want to go back into it.

I'm having a really hard time deciding what class to pick, if Reaper or Valkyrie, because I like the fantasy of both. I've watched gameplay videos, skills showcases, read guides and tier lists, but I still can't decide.
I like to solo everything I can (I know I know), and PvP as well. I love the dark/edgy side of the Reaper, with those fantastic black/purple effects and chain scythes, but I'm not a huge fan of Elin. I love Valkyrie's moves as well with those big crits, the marks, and overhead attacks.

An important factor for me is their solo potential, are they both viable for this? Another factor is repetition; I used to play berserker and I got bored of mainly using 2 skills in my rotation. Are they both reasonably varied? What about their mobility?

Speak your mind and don't be afraid to wall of text me. Please try to keep it positive and constructive.

Also, side question: if you start as a reaper, since I know you gotta have a level 40 character already (which I have), do you start from 0 or from lvl 40? (I'd like to start from 0)

Best Answer

• CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Valks are more powerful/mobile/better at soloing. Both are good in pvp. Reapers start at 50 but after the tutorial it's 58.
    Neither of these classes are getting awakening on the 17th.

Answers

• ScourgerScourger
    edited April 2018
    CornishRex wrote: »
    Valks are more powerful/mobile/better at soloing. Both are good in pvp. Reapers start at 50 but after the tutorial it's 58.

Thank you very much! What's this awakening?

Do you have any inputs on how various or repetitive their rotations are?
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scourger wrote: »
    CornishRex wrote: »

Thank you very much! What's this awakening?

Do you have any inputs on how various or repetitive their rotations are?

Awakening is basically the introduction of new skills for certain classes.
    Generally speaking all rotations in tera are pretty repetitive as there's only one good rotation/priority list with no alternative ones. I'd say valks feel a bit less "repetitive" although that's subjective I guess.
  • LynxzerLynxzer ✭✭✭
    I'd say you should level a valk.. you would start from level 0.. and once you get to level 65... you should level a reaper and as CornishRex said after the tutorial your reaper would be level 58 so wont be to long for u to get to level 65 with reaper and then you will have both classes..

tbh only after playing both classes at level 65 YOU'LL KNOW which one you like most.... trust me :^)

If you dont have another char slot to make both chars.. you can either delete your previous char or just farm later some gold at level 65... wont be to hard to be able to buy that extra character slot voucher from trade broker (if u don't wanna spend real money)...
  • ScourgerScourger
    edited April 2018
    Fantastic, that really helped! Thanks to both of you! <3

One side question if you feel like answering: I forgot how it works with the PvP system. Is there dedicated gear? Can you play the game just by doing PvP like in WoW? If there is such gear, is it useless for PvE?
  • Hmm lemme think reaper of valky, emmmm.. Go berserke, press 2 bottons and do 15ms.
  • edited April 2018
    Ourlord wrote: »
    Hmm lemme think reaper of valky, emmmm.. Go berserke, press 2 bottons and do 15ms.

Do you actually play berserker?
    Also, don't tell me you find it easier than valk/reaper.
  • Ourlord wrote: »
    Hmm lemme think reaper of valky, emmmm.. Go berserke, press 2 bottons and do 15ms.

Come on, don't give in to the troll, it clearly doesn't have anything valuable to say. Keep the thread clean ^-^
  • DL7MMWLJ3WDL7MMWLJ3W ✭✭✭✭

Come on, don't give in to the troll, it clearly doesn't have anything valuable to say. Keep the thread clean ^-^

It's not a troll though. Awakening Berserker can do so much damage in few keys, especially in a shorter fight which most newcomers would be doing anyways.
  • LynxzerLynxzer ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Fantastic, that really helped! Thanks to both of you! <3

One side question if you feel like answering: I forgot how it works with the PvP system. Is there dedicated gear? Can you play the game just by doing PvP like in WoW? If there is such gear, is it useless for PvE?

There is no dedicated gear for PVP... what matters are the gear stat rolls of your gear.. and since you can save 2 gear rolls configurations (after unlocking it with a little amount of gold), your gear you would be able to have a PVE rolls and PVP rolls to switch them according to your needs

And either way with Semi Enigmatic Scrolls (an item you can easily purchase from broker) you can switch your gear rolls anytime u want (if you dont want to have 2 sets of rolls on your gear idk..

for more info: there are guides for the new gear system on essentialmana.com (check this site)

... and for your question about PVP life there are always events like this https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/23397/april-bg-jackpot-calendar#latest so you can get a lot of mats/gold just by doing battlegrouns and Civil Unrest for PVP... but since im a PVE player im not entirely sure you can just live by doing only battlegrounds because i havent testd it myself... (i just dont like battlegrounds xd)
  • Ourlord wrote: »

Actually valky is harder then most of the class, and nope i play warrior, you ll see what i mean by pressing two bottons when the awakening hit up.
  • Scourger wrote: »

I wasnt trolling, wtf..
  • XandervbXandervb ✭✭✭
    As mentioned before, PvP and PvE gear is exactly the same, only the rolls change. The trick is, 1st set of rolls is free and unlocking 2nd is going to cost you significant amount of money. So you can either get PvE or PvP rolls first and then unlock the latter. I'd suggest rolling PvE first, as money grinding is WAY faster in PvE.

Yes, you can gear up doing mostly PvP - but unless you are exceptionally capable of carrying your teammates, PvP grind is WAY inferior to even solo PvE grind.
  • VirtualONVirtualON ✭✭✭
    > @IIIKudryavkaIII said:
    > Ourlord wrote: »
    >
    > Hmm lemme think reaper of valky, emmmm.. Go berserke, press 2 bottons and do 15ms.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Do you actually play berserker?
    > Also, don't tell me you find it easier than valk/reaper.

As a a matter of fact, valk/reaper are much harder to play. I have fully-geared valk/zerk so I know what i am talking about. I don't have reaper but i cannot imagine it would be easier than zerk.