[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

65 levels of learning nothing

1235»

Comments

• StitchedSoulStitchedSoul ✭✭✭✭
    Play with your friends or guild mates only if you're so sensitive.
    Because cry here will not help. Either change your own psychology or find way around.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I think this topic is good if people would have focused on things the game should have to teach players what to do or how to improve.

I know it will never happen but I think BHS should make a solo instance for every normal dungeon in the game, one that allows the player to be matched with AI that will do their roles and the system will force the player to meet certain conditions to clear the dungeon.

For example, if you are a dps class then you will have a tank and healer as AI, the tank will hold agro normally and the healer will just do the necesary for you to not get killed by certain attacks. If you don't meet a dps check then you wipe, if you don't evade one shots mechs then game over, if you are taking more damage than needed then RIP. Secondary agro should fall always on the dps so he can learn what to do in 5 man party dungeons (with low rewards).

For tanks it should be to hold the agro most of the times, another dps check fixed for the tank capability of damage, to get the boss enraged a certain amount of time, to get the boss debuffed a certain amount of time, to get a certain % of blocks on enemy attacks.

For healers it should be to get the most of the time posible the debuffs on the boss, to keep the AI healed, secondary agro learning, etc.

As the game is it right now it is not the faut of most players to arrive into a end-game dungeon and fail miserably because there is no ways in-game to prepare yourslef to not be a floormat in a party. Guides and videos should not be the primary source to learn dungeons mechs the game itself should provide ways for people to train themselves.

Even the people complaining at players doing poorly are not at fault either, it should not be another player task to teach another player what to do, it should be the game itself, the game should give the player hints of what he is doing wrong and Solo version of normal dungeons could be a good way to do it.
  • CezzareCezzare ✭✭✭
    I come and read about a rant about some dude not wanting to follow advices. Months ago, I read others saying they no longer give advice and kick people from parties right away because they never follow advices anyway. And I also read people saying they will play the way the want and others complaining for getting kicked. All of this has happened, as far as I know, even before the game went F2P (I started playing a bit before the reaper patch).

Leveling took indeed longer before the reaper patch (it didin't take ages, you could still reach lvl 60 in 3 days or so farming moderately, but still took longer than it does today), the leveling pace allowed you to complete all the side and story quests in every zone without outleveling the area, and still you found people who reached level cap knowing nothing about how to play their class, which crystals to use, etc., and this will still happen until Tera's last day online.

I'm not saying you should desist giving advices to random people (through LFG or IMS), but don't stress over that, this guy you were trying to school will still roam the game and you're likely to run across him in an alt or whatever, and there's nothing you can do about him or the dozens of players like him, in fact be grateful the guy actually answered you, most of the time they will say nothing and pretend you don't exist. Just play the game, try to give advice if you want but don't lose your nerves over someone who clearly doesn't want to listen. That's my advice : P
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ElinUsagi

Doesn't that sound a little too much like hand-holding? The game doesn't need to tell the player everything, just enough so that they have a solid foundation to build from. Just simple tips that can then be found in an easy-to-read codex or something of the sort. Like these:

- This games uses what some call the "Trinity System": class that attack, classes that defend, and classes that support. Read up to see where each class fits and then pick the one that's right for you!
    - Battle Solutions can imbue your character with powerful stat boosts. While not completely necessary, it is often recommended to use one whenever able.
    - Crystals can augment your character in fun and interesting ways. There are 3 kinds: weapon (red), armor (blue), and accessories (green). Experiment with each type and see what happens!
    - so on and so on

This can help alleviate ignorance somewhat and serve as a cornerstone for players to then seek out more information. They then become the new vets, skyscraper-like expectations may be curbed somewhat, and we end up with less threads like this one.
  • SageWindu wrote: »
    Doesn't that sound a little too much like hand-holding? The game doesn't need to tell the player everything, just enough so that they have a solid foundation to build from. Just simple tips that can then be found in an easy-to-read codex or something of the sort. Like these:

etc

It would be nice if, and this is wandering into never-going-to-happen territory because BHS stuff, the stat screen was re-written to include more detailed breakdowns of stats, or an extendable detailed breakdown page on the player stats menu.
    As it stands there's a lot of stats that don't really have any representation anywhere in the game (like crystal damage or damage reduction or gear % stats) as well as plenty of stats that are no longer relevant outside of niche cases.
    Stun resist anyone? It's super useful to know I have 39 + 3,899,961 stun resist when I cast Tenacity, but not know how much flat % damage I have VS bosses.

On the other hand something that EME probably can do, is add an actual training dummy to the game.
    Preferably one that's not enraged and one that is enraged with endurance debuffs, in an area that grants passive buffs like the guardian legion missions, as well as one that can be healed.
    This way players who don't understand how the damage/healing in the game works but would like to improve can actually see their damage/healing in a stable environment, rather than in dungeons where damage can vary wildly based on dozens of variables.
  • DartrusisDartrusis
    edited April 2018
    Equitas "They chose to let their ego get in the way. I expect people to put that to the side around me."

This is all I need to know about your mentality. They need to dim their ego so your brightly pulsing ego can shine!! Good job being a right-fighter .

*fixed poor grammar
  • There are just so many noobs nowadays who can't take constructive criticisms they give an attitudinal problem right when they are told off about their mistakes.

I can understand if it hurts to be said you play badly, but not everyone is a filthy casual, and it gets annoying when peeps who maintains a certain level of play is bsed by peeps who are unwilling to even listen to constructive comments and tips.

Sometimes peeps even assume others play only one class, when in truth some of us have played every single class thoroughly enough to know what they can do, and proceeds to be salty about it.
  • StitchedSoulStitchedSoul ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    lol then join another whales and leave IM?
    IMo nowadays too many people who think that they allowed to judge and teach everyone around. DOnt like? make your own lfg, join guild and find friends. No? then stop whines over people who dont ask your opinions shut up and do your job instead of teaching everyone around. Im pretty ure all of us did mistakes and were crappy in the very beginning.

Its just another good reason to make yourself feel better with udnerstanding that you arent the worst in this game. Highly doubt that all of those teachers bother with additional few minutes in dungeon because almost all who has good skill achieved their it by playing very long time a day. And ofc its not a wish to help others imo.
  • Equitas wrote: »
    snip
    while that is rather admirable of you im sadly still gunna have to stick by what i say. I actually used to try and help randoms in ims if i knew they didnt have the right stuff or if it was a class i main the right rotation 8/10 people would just tell me to stfu and get a [filtered] attitude. So i simply stopped bothering, if I see a rando in a IM with no crystals on and they are in a guild as well i usually will let the guildies on whatever server they are on talk to them about it, whom i seem to expect they also ignore. so /shrug

also i know im late i dont stalk tera forums that much these years lol
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are just so many noobs nowadays who can't take constructive criticisms they give an attitudinal problem right when they are told off about their mistakes.

I can understand if it hurts to be said you play badly, but not everyone is a filthy casual, and it gets annoying when peeps who maintains a certain level of play is bsed by peeps who are unwilling to even listen to constructive comments and tips.

Sometimes peeps even assume others play only one class, when in truth some of us have played every single class thoroughly enough to know what they can do, and proceeds to be salty about it.

Casuals would usually not have enough resources to reach the higher tier dungeons (unless whales), and will mostly populate the low tier stuff. The problem I see is that in these low tier dungeons is where casuals and try hards mingle together, because the game's dungeon entry limitation force this on them. I could say, change the dungeon entry limitation, instead of x times per dungeon, into a set of tokens given daily to players so they can use in the dungeons they want to play. I could assume, higher tier players would spend them on the more profitable high tier dungeons instead of being forced to run starter SF every day. Of course, this solution is also far from perfect and presents it's own problems. Maybe people would get bored faster, or gear up much faster, or the influx of materials would tip the broker economy into an unhealthy inflation. Who knows. Lots of things to balance here. So for now, the only best practice is to choose your fights and try your best to avoid player types you don't want around you.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    SageWindu wrote: »
    @ElinUsagi

- This games uses what some call the "Trinity System": class that attack, classes that defend, and classes that support. Read up to see where each class fits and then pick the one that's right for you!
    - Battle Solutions can imbue your character with powerful stat boosts. While not completely necessary, it is often recommended to use one whenever able.
    - Crystals can augment your character in fun and interesting ways. There are 3 kinds: weapon (red), armor (blue), and accessories (green). Experiment with each type and see what happens!
    - so on and so on

This can help alleviate ignorance somewhat and serve as a cornerstone for players to then seek out more information. They then become the new vets, skyscraper-like expectations may be curbed somewhat, and we end up with less threads like this one.

I would say that you're either/both overestimating people's intelligence and intentions to get better and read what's presented to them, OR that you're targeting the advice to only the players who're less of a problem: the ones that are eager to learn.
    The later is not an issue, since it will be just plain productive, but I would also say that those were never a problem to begin with, as they'll take advice from players and guides as well.
    Thus, I would say I agree 100% with doing this (better tips in better placement), as it rewards the ones who deserve it. The eager players learn it, "git gud" quicker without getting manure thrown at them during fights.

In other hand to the 1st part of it - overestimating playerbase in general - it would not do peanuts, they'll just bulldoze into ignorance again. This, is what I would say is the worst problem on the game, and I'll not dismiss any ideas, but at the same time will be skeptical about them, cause if one's skull is THICC enough, it just won't let information in. And they'll keep roaming the game bothering people on IM.

A Nobel prize is deserved for whoever manages to train those mules into good players.

Harsh? Yes. But when you encounter a player who you politely try to give some tips and he literally says "suck my D***", you'll understand what I mean. That's a true story by the way. THOSE are the biggest problem, and yeah, it's easier to train a mule to pull stuff when told and not bite.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    When giving advice without first asking about giving it, one should expect different reactions. Not just the wanted "Thank you" reply. The other day I gave some advice in another forum, and the response was "GTFO my thread". I didn't get mad because that's how it is sometimes. Some people are thankful, some are not. We just move on.