[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

ban gold spammers PLZ

e73ebd06957f3704c9551db882c3b814.png
when are we going to stop seeing this? admins can you AT LEAST be active enough to ben gold spammers when they come in our servers? its been weeks

Comments

• ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remembered when they were selling 100k for $7 u_u
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preeest wrote: »
    when are we going to stop seeing this? admins can you AT LEAST be active enough to ben gold spammers when they come in our servers? its been weeks

Weeks? Try years.
  • From my experiences;

1. Try to ingame report
    - Never work

2. Submit a ticket with a screenshot
    - Works in 1-2 days

So basically, EME never actively ban that seller for several months. When someone reports by submitting a ticket, that will be the moment that EME start working on it.

But it's way easier for seller to make a new account and spam again since it took less than a day to see the same message with a different name.

• ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    I remembered when they were selling 100k for $7 u_u

It's so funny that you've gotta be utterly stupid to go for one of those specially now, when they sell it barely cheaper (if even) than if you were to sell EMP to players. Or has EMP ratio gone like super low? I remember 1:40
  • Ves1978Ves1978 ✭✭✭✭
    honestly, it's better to just block them, cause ban will result with new account and new spammer.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what they are trying to pull, since the economy is fairly good without them around. I mean, people can get what they need in a legit way at a fair price, after all.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    SageWindu wrote: »
    Preeest wrote: »

Weeks? Try years.

weeks, before they just spam every 5 minutes

now they spam every 5 secondes
  • TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭
    Just try to duel them. Even if you don't get an accept, it must still mess up their macro because the spamming stopped.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    Ves1978 wrote: »
    honestly, it's better to just block them, cause ban will result with new account and new spammer.

could always shadow ban them so they don't know their ban'd yet bo one will see their spam posts
  • tisnotme wrote: »
    Ves1978 wrote: »

could always shadow ban them so they don't know their ban'd yet bo one will see their spam posts

The problem is, they'll know. They just have a second bot in game as a watcher, and then when the primary dies, the second takes over, and a third comes in as the watcher. It's a mess.
  • They could also area chat ban if certain conditions are met. (conditions are example only)
    1) blocked by 100+ people
    2) spamming more then 100 messages in area chat within a 24 hour period
    3) character level below 65

another option, appoint 'trusted players' (with long history of game time) who will have the authority to chat ban players temporarily under certain conditions. They would not be able to chat ban regular players with 1000's of hours of playtime and (obviously) abuse may result in a permaban, you would have to agree to conditions set out by EME.

I would never purchase gold like this (it's cheaper to just buy EMP) and I am reasonably certain it's all just a scam, that being the case, I think EME should be proactive and protect newer players against scams like this. At the very least, it's annoying seeing the spam when you are running Ghillieglade and you have to block a new spambot across all your characters.
  • edited April 2018
    They could also area chat ban if certain conditions are met. (conditions are example only)
    The problem is this would definitely negatively impact the gameplay experience for new players (not being able to chat until 65) and is open to other potential abuse (mass blocking by a guild to screw with someone). The reason why these spammers append random numbers to their messages is so that it won't be detected as identical messages, and even if you made that more sophisticated, they can just come up with better randomization systems too.
    another option, appoint 'trusted players' (with long history of game time) who will have the authority to chat ban players temporarily under certain conditions. They would not be able to chat ban regular players with 1000's of hours of playtime and (obviously) abuse may result in a permaban, you would have to agree to conditions set out by EME.
    Whack-a-mole won't work, especially in a F2P game. They can just have hundreds of bots waiting to take over as soon as another one dies, and keep them coming endlessly. (Even in B2P/subscription games, they keep the steady stream of bots coming.) Since it's all done via script, it costs them nothing. Meanwhile, the human moderators are just exhausting themselves.

Not that I'm trying to say nothing can be done... but I'm honestly not too sure how to build a system that would actually work, and couldn't just be defeated with minor tweaks to the bot script. Better if people didn't buy gil from spammers, but given that their operating costs are so low, it only takes one sucker to make it all worth their while.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    @counterpoint Making the in-game reports work as intended instead of relaying to support tickets.
  • edited April 2018
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    @counterpoint Making the in-game reports work as intended instead of relaying to support tickets.

Although I think it should work anyway, it won't solve it for all the reasons above. The faster they knock them down, the faster they'll have a replacement there, so you're just playing constant whack-a-mole. That said, I think there should be a "Report and Block RMT" option to make it an easy one step for people.
  • They could also area chat ban if certain conditions are met. (conditions are example only)
    The problem is this would definitely negatively impact the gameplay experience for new players (not being able to chat until 65) and is open to other potential abuse (mass blocking by a guild to screw with someone). The reason why these spammers append random numbers to their messages is so that it won't be detected as identical messages, and even if you made that more sophisticated, they can just come up with better randomization systems too.

I meant all (or some number) of the conditions (and potentially more) would have to be met.
    I also intended for this to be taken as a purely example condition set, I'm not an experienced CEO of major MMORPG and do not have access to the sort of data that would be required to make a "good" judgement call. Condition based voting tables are other option (if he does this then +138, if he doesn't do that -17 etc) but real hard to get right.
    Not that I'm trying to say nothing can be done... but I'm honestly not too sure how to build a system that would actually work, and couldn't just be defeated with minor tweaks to the bot script. Better if people didn't buy gil from spammers, but given that their operating costs are so low, it only takes one sucker to make it all worth their while.

There is another option, I left it out because I know it is going to provoke someone to claim they are an expert and flame the crap out me for not knowing something they know. but... AI is pretty good at this sort of thing, it very successfully sorts your junk email from your regular emails and has done so for something like 10 or 20 years now. I am reasonably certain it could be used to determine if a piece of text is spam or not spam. The problem is getting the data sets required to train the model and keep it up to date. There exists a possibility that there is a 3rd party company that might do this for (for example) forum implementation etc. I don't know, just an option.