[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Please stop people form hoarding names, and release the inactive ones.

Comments

• 66ECX7NAN766ECX7NAN7 ✭✭✭✭
    You need to be more creative, for example Asuna368219 is way more creative than Asuna.
  • P2WP2W ✭✭✭
    If they allowed duplicated names, how many people would still want a boring name like Dog?
  • ovrovr ✭✭
    Elinu1 wrote: »
    I actually had one person offer me insane real money for one of my names(I won't mention who though). I hadn't logged on the character in over 2 years and one word in global, I instantly get 4-5 people whispering me offering to buy my name.

I am not a name hoarder but I do have a lot of really good names, most are on higher levels, but some are on level ones for future use.

Leave my names alone. Like I said before first come, first server. Deal with it.

You only say that because
    I stayed up on the night of name release to grab as many short appealing names as possible.

it's all well and good to say "be imaginative, come up with something original", but realistically, every single 3, 4 and 5 letter proper word or recognizable name is taken and anything that isn't just a random string of characters is most likely be taken. The only people with short elegant names are people who reserved them when they were released or people who have paid insane amounts of in game gold.

Personally (this is just my opinion, you are free to disagree) a short elegant name makes it easy for people to remember you and type out your name when you apply to a party. If your character has a name you like, you will feel better about that character as well. In my guild at the moment, I am the only player with short elegant names. Even the alts I never play have them.

1) I think a name reclamation should be an annual thing.
    any character that has not been logged into over the past 12 months will loose its name.
    ample warning would be provided via the email associated with the account.

2) name hoarding should be discouraged.
    not easy to come up with the perfect policy for this. this will sound like a terrible way of handling it, but just think about it for a second.
    new characters can only choose names with a dot separation or long names with a minimum number of letters, when you reach lv65, you get a free name change to any unclaimed name.

3) name selling is already banned, but requires the game itself to make the practice harder.
    I have already heard this suggested, I am repeating this. From what I understand kTera already does something like this
    whenever a name is released by deleting a character, that name will be unavailable for a long time. I think kTera does this for 30 days.
    it has been suggested that the period should be random (between say 7 days and 30 days for example)
    I would extend this to names made available by an account being permanently banned or names made available through name change.

4) name exchange allowed between characters on the same account.
    cannot be used to exchange names between characters on different accounts
    might be a cash shop item
    allows people to retain a recognized name they like if they choose to switch the main character they play.
    might allow friends list to switch as well (optional)
    prevents name from being stolen by a name thief.

5) finally, scrap the whole thing and have a family name system instead.
    restricted to long inelegant names when you start playing.
    free family name change when you hit a certain total lv65 combat time (only accumulates when in combat against lv65 bams/mobs/pvp, summed across all characters) suggested value 100 hours.
    friend list and broker list combined across all characters with same family name.
    potentially, allowed to have multiple family names across 1 account by purchasing a cash shop item.
    can have any first name you like, must be unique to your family name only.

Not a huge fan of the free name change after level 65 idea, but the others are pretty great. Especially the randomized release after deletion! That would stop a lot of name sellers in their tracks.
  • LegolamLegolam ✭✭✭
    EME did a name wipe once. But they won't do it again. It's too much work and too many things that could go wrong.

• aeee98aeee98 ✭✭✭✭
    They should really just allow numbers in the name.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only say that because ...
    they are saying that because they got the name before anyone else. maybe they were here when tera launched and didn't come in a week ago.
    you don't always get your way in life and in games. just because you want it, doesn't mean that you are entitled to it. just because someone isn't using their named character at this moment doesn't mean they wont use them in the near future, and just because they haven't played as that character in a while doesn't mean that they deserve to lose the name. that's like saying just because you have a car stored for the winter and haven't driven it in 6 months or more, someone else that likes your car and always wanted one just like it , means you have to lose your car and the person that wants it is entitled to it. I have a purple and black dress I haven't worn in probably a year now, does that mean I deserve to lose it? I still wear my other clothes, but I haven't worn that particular dress in a long time. I still want my dress, and I plan on wearing it again someday. same principle as the name wipe. just because someone hasn't played as "X" character , doesn't mean they haven't been playing as a different one.
  • P2WP2W ✭✭✭
    they are saying that because they got the name before anyone else. maybe they were here when tera launched and didn't come in a week ago.
    you don't always get your way in life and in games. just because you want it, doesn't mean that you are entitled to it. just because someone isn't using their named character at this moment doesn't mean they wont use them in the near future, and just because they haven't played as that character in a while doesn't mean that they deserve to lose the name. that's like saying just because you have a car stored for the winter and haven't driven it in 6 months or more, someone else that likes your car and always wanted one just like it , means you have to lose your car and the person that wants it is entitled to it. I have a purple and black dress I haven't worn in probably a year now, does that mean I deserve to lose it? I still wear my other clothes, but I haven't worn that particular dress in a long time. I still want my dress, and I plan on wearing it again someday. same principle as the name wipe. just because someone hasn't played as "X" character , doesn't mean they haven't been playing as a different one.

If that's the case, then allow duplicated names. There are many people that are called John and Jane in real life. Would you stop someone from naming their newborn John or Jane because you already claimed that name first.

If EME does decide to release names, I wouldn't do it i a mass name wipe. Instead, any character that hasn't logged in for say 12 months and/or total playing time is less than say 12 hours, their names would get released.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few outfits (mostly elin stuff) in the wardrobe, never to be used because I don't wanna soul bind it nor sell it. Maybe the Tera gods will one day swoop down and empty my wardrobe to give the stuff to someone else.

In a more related thought, this thread right here proves this idea has many detractors, as I supposed it would. This and the server merge subjects are very prone to heated discussions because so many go passionate about it in the end.
  • SrosaSrosa ✭✭
    i disapprove, why? the person who had it way before you, they can have it.
  • P2WP2W ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Srosa wrote: »
    i disapprove, why? the person who had it way before you, they can have it.

That's assuming that player is an active player. But there are players that left/quit the game but the names are still being taken. If the player hasn't logged in once in 12 months, their names should be released for others to use.

Then there are the name hoarders who hoard the names for profit but don't actually play the game. I propose that the characters that have a total playing time of less than 12 hours in one year and doesn't have elite also have the names released.
  • McOnosRepMcOnosRep ✭✭✭
    I stayed up on the night of name release to grab as many short appealing names as possible.

it's all well and good to say "be imaginative, come up with something original", but realistically, every single 3, 4 and 5 letter proper word or recognizable name is taken and anything that isn't just a random string of characters is most likely be taken. The only people with short elegant names are people who reserved them when they were released or people who have paid insane amounts of in game gold.

Personally (this is just my opinion, you are free to disagree) a short elegant name makes it easy for people to remember you and type out your name when you apply to a party. If your character has a name you like, you will feel better about that character as well. In my guild at the moment, I am the only player with short elegant names. Even the alts I never play have them.

1) I think a name reclamation should be an annual thing.
    any character that has not been logged into over the past 12 months will loose its name.
    ample warning would be provided via the email associated with the account.

2) name hoarding should be discouraged.
    not easy to come up with the perfect policy for this. this will sound like a terrible way of handling it, but just think about it for a second.
    new characters can only choose names with a dot separation or long names with a minimum number of letters, when you reach lv65, you get a free name change to any unclaimed name.

3) name selling is already banned, but requires the game itself to make the practice harder.
    I have already heard this suggested, I am repeating this. From what I understand kTera already does something like this
    whenever a name is released by deleting a character, that name will be unavailable for a long time. I think kTera does this for 30 days.
    it has been suggested that the period should be random (between say 7 days and 30 days for example)
    I would extend this to names made available by an account being permanently banned or names made available through name change.

4) name exchange allowed between characters on the same account.
    cannot be used to exchange names between characters on different accounts
    might be a cash shop item
    allows people to retain a recognized name they like if they choose to switch the main character they play.
    might allow friends list to switch as well (optional)
    prevents name from being stolen by a name thief.

5) finally, scrap the whole thing and have a family name system instead.
    restricted to long inelegant names when you start playing.
    free family name change when you hit a certain total lv65 combat time (only accumulates when in combat against lv65 bams/mobs/pvp, summed across all characters) suggested value 100 hours.
    friend list and broker list combined across all characters with same family name.
    potentially, allowed to have multiple family names across 1 account by purchasing a cash shop item.
    can have any first name you like, must be unique to your family name only.

To be honest there is no perfect solution to the current issue. Still the suggestion above seem to be the least worst options available.

The exception being the very good idea:
    [I have already heard this suggested, I am repeating this. From what I understand kTera already does something like this[/i]

with the large random release date which actually deals with the name selling issue very well. I would even say announce this in advance to give plenty of time for active players to make an alt with any special names on their own account. Also you could have it so that if you delete or rename a character you can make a new character with that name within 3 days, but after that the name is treated as unavailable to anyone for the default range.

• I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but what would be a good idea imho would be if TERA would let you change the displayed name while tying it to your character account name. That way you could have multiples of the same name without needing the true server name. And the people who snagged the originals would get to keep theirs, too, maybe with a special color or symbol to show they are the OG. BHS/EME could even profit from it with display name vouchers. *hint* *hint*
  • DokibunDokibun ✭✭✭✭
    they already did this once. twice in 6 years? players are always returning.
  • P2WP2W ✭✭✭
    Dokibun wrote: »
    they already did this once. twice in 6 years? players are always returning.

If the players aren't active or logged in for a year, why not release the names. But I would prefer if they allowed duplicated names then no name wipes would be needed. It would actually encourage people to come up with creative names and eliminate name hoarders.