Priests getting massive contribution on Guardian Missions

Priests are currently getting 2-3 times more contribution than the top DPSers. It's great that healers can get good contribution on guardians, but there's no reason they should be 30%+ of the entire zergs' contribution. It's just plain silly and extending the time it takes to complete guardians if you're a non-priest since priests are currently like a self-contained raid party.

Comments

• DL7MMWLJ3WDL7MMWLJ3W ✭✭✭✭
    Contribution doesn't mean a thing. Stop looking at it. It's never a good way to measure performance because people could come in late that are far more skilled and more relevant than you that won't reach top place on contribution because of that.

Seriously, the one thing focused on that doesn't matter needs to be complaining about it when there are more pressing matters.
  • Then you can make a thread and post about the matters you consider more pressing. This thread is about priests being grossly overcompensated during guardian missions currently.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Priests were crazy pre apex, I could earn 15 boxes in 10 mins. Now they nerfed it and usually I can earn 10-12 max. If a priest is getting 30% more than you it just means you're badly geared and are doing bad dps. Good dps catch up to me easily and I'm often neck a neck with them, but when there's tons of twist/frost players I'll easily leave them in the dust on my +8 sc priest lol
  • VishmitarVishmitar ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I mean the personal attacks are unnecessary @CornishRex but it's alright--I could just as easily say you're a bad priest if you're not doing 3x more than every dps, but that would be an unfair assumption for me to make since I know nothing about you, your gear, or the caliber of player you are.

I wish it was a personal performance or gearing issue, sadly that's not the case and it is instead that priests are completely out of control on guardian missions. Hoping EME can address it for the health of the game sooner rather than later.
    How did I say anything that was a personal attack? You can do amazing damage and know your class perfectly for your gear, let's say twist, but it will be far from an sc +7 dps with the same capabilities, you'll never come close. I didn't say you're doing bad dps because you're stupid or a bad player, but because you might have bad gear lol

I believe this was fixed after awakening and priests aren't that far ahead anymore unless you're talking about uhft where I do admit it's ridiculous because of 100% edict time where I can get up to 30 boxes in 10 mins. Other than that it's not as crazy as it used to be pre-awakening, at least when it comes to earning boxes.
  • Priests definitely get some exaggerated contribution values sure, their overall damage to contribution ratio is probably the best of any class.
    At the same time though, disregarding instances of either party getting their late, I've never seen a priest beat me in contribution by 3X, or even 2X. Hell it's rare to see a priest get than 2-3% ahead of most of my geared characters.

Of course you could just argue that every single Priest on MT that does GL's is trash and can't play for [filtered] which is why they're all only doing 35%~ of the DPS they should be doing.

But then I could argue that the system is mostly tuned for the casual player who wont know how to do optimal top-tier solo DPS as priest, and wont have alternate gear setups just for DPS purposes. Which is why it seems so heavily overtuned when a skilled Priest comes around with optimal rolls, glyphs and DPS rotation, dealing more than the expected amount of damage that it was tuned for.

That also means that if you nerf it you're going to really hurt the group of people that the overtuned contribution was designed for, making it a far worse experience for the average player.

Disregarding all of the above though, why does it matter? As far as I'm aware, the amount of contribution other people get doesn't affect you in the slightest because it's a damage conversion to points based on damage dealt and number of people there.
  • I'm in SC gear to be clear. Even if I was in twistshard it wouldn't change the fact that priests are dominating the +9 SC DPS players that are all around the guardian missions on TR. 1-5 contribution usually looks like this:

#1 priest: 15-20%
    #2 priest: 15-20%
    #3 priest: 15-20%
    #4 dps 7-10%
    #5 dps 7-10%

This is consistently my experience during guardians. The percentages depend upon the size of the zerg, but the ratios are quite consistent.
  • VishmitarVishmitar ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @LagIncarnate As far as I can tell it is a zero-sum system, and there will be winners and losers in such a system; which is fine when things are relatively in balance, but that's currently not the case and priest is a clear outlier.
  • ZenjionZenjion ✭✭
    My frostmetal mystic is almost always in the top 5 contributors :p mote explosion is just too good. I woudn't say healers need to do less contribution, I would actually say dps need to be adjusted to get more. 8-11 boxes per mission on a mystic vs 4-5 on a dps, both in frostmetal, just makes it feel like a pain to do it on anything else.

I mean my lancer gets somewhere around 7-8 in +0 frost.
  • Healers didn’t have a way to get income for 4 years. Don’t complain now that finally they can do some solo content. The greed in this forum is just astonishing.
  • Also priest dps is just painful and boring. Even with x10 contribution most wouldn’t even do it.
    > @Kevin2604 said:
    > Healers didn’t have a way to get income for 4 years. Don’t complain now that finally they can do some solo content. The greed in this forum is just astonishing.

Yeah I'd like to point this out actually. If you're a geared dps solo queueing mids or lows, you will breeze through them easily even if your party is horrid. Farming these while solo queueing on a healer you're on the mercy of your party, which is more often very slow than not. Being able to farm one type of content efficiently balances things out. Especially when you decide to gear your healer for the upcoming 453 ilvl content and don't really have the resources to gear other alts...
  • Vishmitar wrote: »
    @LagIncarnate As far as I can tell it is a zero-sum system, and there will be winners and losers in such a system; which is fine when things are relatively in balance, but that's currently not the case and priest is a clear outlier.

Except with some short testing I can say that's not how it works. Two quick tests proved pretty evidently that the amount of contribution points is based on an algorithm that converts a % of damage dealt into contribution points which varies based on class.

Two simple tests, two players only participating in the guardian mission. Player A, the variable, and Player B, the control. Damage was controlled by having the players kill different groups of mobs, so that each player did the the same amount of damage each time.

Scenario 1:
    Player A is a DPS class. Player B is a DPS class. Both players within range of the guardian mission mobs at all times.
    Player A kills Birds at Fimbrilisk, gains 108,995 contribution points.
    Player B kills Elite Orcans at Fimbrilisk, gains 145,593 contribution points.

Scenario 2:
    Player A is a Priest. Player B is a DPS class. Both players within range of the guardian mission mobs at all times.
    Player A kills birds at Fimbrilisk, gains 147,324 contribution points.
    Player B kills Elite Orcans at Fimbrilisk, gains 146,330 contribution points.

The variance in the control's (Player B) score of <1k is likely due to the skill in the second test used to finish the mobs off being Shining Crescent.

Despite variance in the contribution chart, Player B, the control, achieved almost identical score in both tests. The Priest being present did not have any affect on the overall contribution earned by Player B.

If you'd like to run some tests of your own and come back with proof that Priests overtuned scoring impacts the scores of other players participating in GL then I'd be happy to reconsider my stance as that would be detrimental to the majority of players. Otherwise however, as it currently stands the only thing that Priests do to other players is damage their pride, not their efficiency.
  • Why did player A in scenario 1 get 40k less contribution than player A in scenario 2 if they both did 100% of the bird killing, curious?

The tests are flawed though as there's no competition between player A and B. Naturally, if a priest solos a guardian (or part of the event--birds) it gets 100% of the contribution and 100% of the reward same as any other class. The zero sum part comes in when the priest is in competition with another player. If the priest can do 70% of the contribution during the encounter, they have placed a ceiling on the other player at 30%, netting fewer points and fewer boxes. Are you claiming there's no correlation between contribution % and points earned towards boxes? Or no correlation between damage dealt and contribution? Or both?
  • He already told you it’s % based. They don’t deal more damage, killer faster and don’t reduce the points given to other players. Their % is calculated based on their damage. Just read or test for yourself.