[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

How have PC vets dealt with the RNG for all these years

This game is not the most casual MMO out there as some claim. This is a Korean MMO through and through. I've been staying away from the RNG as much as possible but I spent too much on innerwear boxes and I can't seem to get a single new glyph on my archer now. It is really demotivating and I can't believe I'm starting to not want to play a game that I enjoy so much. There needs to be at least a minimum level of progress felt when you play hundreds of hours or spend hundreds of dollars. This is not even P2W, its Luck2win.

Comments

• MyxMyx ✭✭
    Easy. Get Elitestatus, running ghillieglade, don't buy any rng boxes. Problem solved. You don't need anything from this boxes. Innerwear tokens and etching material comes from ghillieglade with a high dropchance. Glyphs can be farmed with high tier tokens without any rng involved.
    All your problems are selfmade. :}
  • GatokatzenGatokatzen ✭✭✭
    Farming glyphs via island of dawn mid tier or high tier bams.

They're like big cows if you have guille+12 even with guille+5 you can try for it
  • Myx wrote: »
    Easy. Get Elitestatus, running ghillieglade, don't buy any rng boxes. Problem solved. You don't need anything from this boxes. Innerwear tokens and etching material comes from ghillieglade with a high dropchance. Glyphs can be farmed with high tier tokens without any rng involved.

hes crying in all topics about he spend tons of emp with LOOTBOX and got nothing , i already said to him that ghillaglade its even better to get these innerarmor than spend emp with it.
  • VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    Easy...we made Daily insert your most hated race here sacrifices to our lord RNGjesus and idolised Majurak (They awakening enchant guy in Habre, you'll see him when you get Ambush)
  • JohnNapalm wrote: »
    Myx wrote: »

hes crying in all topics about he spend tons of emp with LOOTBOX and got nothing , i already said to him that ghillaglade its even better to get these innerarmor than spend emp with it.

Wouldn't you? Look even if you're right that's kind of insensitive coming from a guy who got their innerwear in 2 boxes. That's like winning the lottery and shaming others for buying a ticket. Actually that's exactly what it is.
  • Vinyltails wrote: »
    Easy...we made Daily insert your most hated race here sacrifices to our lord RNGjesus and idolised Majurak (They awakening enchant guy in Habre, you'll see him when you get Ambush)

Damn RNGesus has long forsaken me though.
  • JohnNapalmJohnNapalm ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    MY3RJLETWP wrote: »
    JohnNapalm wrote: »

Wouldn't you? Look even if you're right that's kind of insensitive coming from a guy who got their innerwear in 2 boxes. That's like winning the lottery and shaming others for buying a ticket. Actually that's exactly what it is.

well i got in the second box but i wouldnt open more than 3 anyway cuz i know what RNG means ^^

tomorrow will make 1 week that i have elite status and i already have 70 tokens from ghillaglade , and im doing with only one char , i pretend to exp a new mystic this weekend to do just ghillaglade then will be 2 box in a week , in around 3 weeks in sure that i will get some good innerarmor , dont even need to be critical one cuz then i can sell and buy the critical one ^^
  • MyxMyx ✭✭
    bbc.com/news/technology-43906306

quoted from the article above:

"As loot boxes are random, people could spend £10 and get something useful, or spend £100 and get nothing useful at all - similar to how slot machines work."

"But the Belgium Gaming Commission has disagreed, instead focusing on whether the loot boxes constitute a "game of chance" - the use of a game element which involves a bet that can by chance lead to profit or loss.

It cited a series of issues with how loot boxes function, such as the use of virtual currency which can be purchased for real money, and the way that some loot boxes make players think they will gain an advantage despite their random contents."

These are arguments why I would call it scam.
    It doesn't affect every player in the same way but the basic system of lootboxes is luring ppl with a high reward and an unknown chance (that helps to avoid a reality check of the customer) of winning into paying a lot of money, while the majority will not get what they gambled for.
    Even showing the exact chances would make this system way better cause players could at least imagine what effort is needed to get what they want.

But I doubt game companies can sell a lot of their boxes with a visible chance of 1:100 or 1:10000 like they do now.
  • Myx wrote: »

"As loot boxes are random, people could spend £10 and get something useful, or spend £100 and get nothing useful at all - similar to how slot machines work."

"But the Belgium Gaming Commission has disagreed, instead focusing on whether the loot boxes constitute a "game of chance" - the use of a game element which involves a bet that can by chance lead to profit or loss.

It cited a series of issues with how loot boxes function, such as the use of virtual currency which can be purchased for real money, and the way that some loot boxes make players think they will gain an advantage despite their random contents."

It doesn't affect every player in the same way but the basic system of lootboxes is luring ppl with a high reward and an unknown chance (that helps to avoid a reality check of the customer) of winning into paying a lot of money, while the majority will not get what they gambled for.
    Even showing the exact chances would make this system way better cause players could at least imagine what effort is needed to get what they want.

But I doubt game companies can sell a lot of their boxes with a visible chance of 1:100 or 1:10000 like they do now.

Yea I hope something is done. I know people are going to say it's the player's fault but these kinds of rates is just beyond sinister. The reason F2P games usually don't last long is because they get too greedy. People will spend for years if prices are fair but everyone knows about loot box RNG now and people will drop games a lot faster than 10 years ago. Poor business sense in my opinion. Sacrificing consistent long-term income for short-sighted gain. I bet they had a good week but sales will plummet now that people got a taste of what EME is about.
  • MY3RJLETWP wrote: »

Sacrificing consistent long-term income for short-sighted gain. I bet they had a good week but sales will plummet now that people got a taste of what EME is about.

^ I agree and it's a shame. They probably could have gotten another $500 out of me this year, but now they'll be "lucky" to get another $50. Poor model indeed.
  • Funny part is that this model that you few people hate, has kept this game alive and is arguably one of the more generous systems compared to a lot of MMOs
  • DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    PC players dealt with the stupid/game breaking RNG progression in this game with OP/broken af events made by EME, especially for FOD/MWA farming.
    You're wrong.
    On PC It took me almost 1 year farming ghillieglade almost everyday on 3 toons to get a +16 Crit innerwear when it was BIS, 1 week after that they released +20 crit innerwear.
    And the BIS innerwear is the only one that matters tbh, the lesser ones it's so much more time efficient to just farm the gold and buy on trade broker..

Protip: You never fix the "RNG" problem just putting more time into the game, that's just like spending more money on lottery tickets.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dvsv wrote: »
    PC players dealt with the stupid/game breaking RNG progression in this game with OP/broken af events made by EME, especially for FOD/MWA farming.
    You're wrong.
    On PC It took me almost 1 year farming ghillieglade almost everyday on 3 toons to get a +16 Crit innerwear when it was BIS, 1 week after that they released +20 crit innerwear.
    And the BIS innerwear is the only one that matters tbh, the lesser ones it's so much more time efficient to just farm the gold and buy on trade broker..

Protip: You never fix the "RNG" problem just putting more time into the game, that's just like spending more money on lottery tickets.

Protip: dont spend money on lottery tickets.
  • IppikiIppiki ✭✭

The problem is, you don’t get something useless when you lose.

You actually get mats that are necessary to progressing the game.

Say you buy an extensive alkahest lootbox. On average I would say this lootbox pans out at giving you double the amount of mats you would get from a costume lootbox if you don’t immediately get the thing you want and instead keep buying lootboxes.

So what you are actually losing is roughly half the mats you would get from a dedicated lootbox.

Which I always see as fair enough. Yesterday I spent $40, thinking, “I do not expect to win, I expect to lose $20 based on getting good mats otherwise, vs buying extensive alkahest lootboxes and with the caveat that I also get other types of alkahest, spellbinding etc from these loot boxes.”

I did get the item (crit based innerwear) 4 boxes from the final one.

The problem is, of course: the fact that there is some trash in the costume lootboxes which is driven by the community prices.

MES: barely worth anything at the moment, I got two lots of it from these boxes.
    Getting a semi enig on top of the semi enig you get already from the box is also pretty bad.

They need to keep adjusting loot tables of loot boxes imo. But saying “I got nothing” from lootboxes is patently not true, unless you literally do not play the game and instead *only* stand in highwatch wearing pretty clothes.