[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance on 2/18 at 6pm PST, and have an expected downtime of 1 hour. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Tera might be TOO EASY to enjoy and draw players in?

Allow me to preface this by saying I am not talking about the Raids or boss fights therein; I am referring to the gameplay as a whole. I also do not want this post to appear to be crying for Tera to turn into Vanilla WoW, but it is the most well-known example for me to base things on.

I think my main complaint will be about experience gain and the Daily Vanguard Missions. I love playing the game, doing side quests, and getting involved in the story. Tera has a great one to tell. But it seems like doing all the side quests, or even just sticking to story missions, you out-level and out-scale the zones too quickly to stick around doing anything. By the time I'm really getting into a zone and learning what's going on in the area, I'm already late in moving to the next one, and I haven't completed 10% of the available mission. I feel like I'm being forced to fly towards end-game without be allowed the chance to just enjoy playing the game. You just teleport around turning stuff in, and the Gear Rewards from all the Dailys are equivalent to the Raid Gear, so there's no point trying to farm the latter. Even if you take the time to farm the Raid Gear, you level so much by the time you get it, it's useless. Back in Vanilla Wow, most of the basic missions felt like Raids you had to gather friends and plan a night for. You all had to get the quest, group up, and walk across the map together for an hour to find the place. It took a while to do, required some teamwork to avoid dying a lot, and felt really rewarding by the time you got to turn it it. And the little green dagger you found on the trip felt like an insane DPS boost. By no means do I think Tera should be quite that difficult to play and progress through, but at least stop throwing rewards and levels at us like they're going out of style. Make us actually earn something to feel pride in. Lvl 65 should feel like an accomplishment and reward after a month or so, not a requirement after 3 days of gameplay. The Raids should feel like a major undertaking for players that have built up a lot of individual strength and want to test themselves as a group, not feel like the only challenging aspect of the game.

Someone else may be able to state this better, I'm not very eloquent, but I believe the ideology of my beliefs are apparent. I'm not a programmer, so I don't really know HOW to go about correcting this, but the simplest thing to think would be to reduce all exp gains by 30% or so, remove Daily Vanguard crap that give insane rewards, and remove some of the teleporting around. Anyone else agree or have similar ideas? I know I'm rambling and jumping around a lot, and for that I apologize. I have a scattered mind and it cost me greatly in school. I guess a TL;DR for this would be Tera throws so much at you so fast, it's impossible to slow down and really get involved with the game.
«13

Comments

  • It used to not be this way. When tera first released it took weeks to level was no easy mode. I figure with all the whine/complaining than free to play tera got so nerfed that even fighting bams was no fun. With the current state of game with no content once you hit max level(2 days if casual) not really much to do except grind for mats for ambush. It only took me four weeks to get to +14 have not been able to get +15 (but why bother since no new content) so there is really nothing for me left to do but wait and level more alts and wait for awakening
  • Exactly... You fly through the story and missions so fast, you're at end-game before you've had a chance to learn your class, skills, mechanics, etc. No time spent walking around learning the map, zones, or story. But I've already said all this. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this opinion. I just wish threads like this got a lot more attention, so EnMasse would have a good enough reason to pay attention and look at correcting the issues. The reason they have the Reaper is so you can start a character at 50 and skip all the grind if you've done it before. But why rush new players into end content? Especially when they've already spent so much time, effort, & $ on making such a large game & story. Seems like a waste. Besides, there's a million and one MMO's out there that rush you to end-game. Rift seems to be the only one left where you can't max level in a couple days.
  • freonwolf wrote: »
    It used to not be this way. When tera first released it took weeks to level was no easy mode. I figure with all the whine/complaining than free to play tera got so nerfed that even fighting bams was no fun. With the current state of game with no content once you hit max level(2 days if casual) not really much to do except grind for mats for ambush. It only took me four weeks to get to +14 have not been able to get +15 (but why bother since no new content) so there is really nothing for me left to do but wait and level more alts and wait for awakening

    you already have ambush? tell me where to get the design? i couldnt find . tks ^^
  • JohnNapalm wrote: »
    freonwolf wrote: »
    It used to not be this way. When tera first released it took weeks to level was no easy mode. I figure with all the whine/complaining than free to play tera got so nerfed that even fighting bams was no fun. With the current state of game with no content once you hit max level(2 days if casual) not really much to do except grind for mats for ambush. It only took me four weeks to get to +14 have not been able to get +15 (but why bother since no new content) so there is really nothing for me left to do but wait and level more alts and wait for awakening

    you already have ambush? tell me where to get the design? i couldnt find . tks ^^

    Off topic; different thread, please.
  • Can just agree with this. If a player doesn't want to learn by himself how to play there is no way a tutorial through leveling will show any improvement in his gameplay. And there is no way, these kind of players will not access end game.

    FF14, my first MMO at its very beginning, had a primal (Titan Brutal) players had to pass to get the relic weapon. Iirc it would also give you access to the end game raid content (CoB). It was so difficult, under average players like me (at the time :P) had to spend weeks to pass it and would only work if the party learned how to read patterns, dodge things, use buffs & debuffs...etc...other than that you would never pass it. My party actually improved a lot after this and today I'm happy this thing existed because I actually became a much better player.
    And you know what ? People managed to buy their way through this content because elite players would carry them for Gils (Gold)...So there you got a "noob barrier" letting just the door open to end game for potencially above average players and look what happens...

    I don't mean to tell this would be a good system, nor do I want to judge any players. I just threw an example showing that if people don't want to improve by themselves it's not possible to force them to do so, no matter how.

    Back to Tera : Can confirm, there is to much PEX reward on the main quest scenario alone. I treat open world mobs as if they were threatened with extinction and side quest like plague to avoid overleveling. Currently playing since about 10 days, 2-3 hours a day, level 46 warrior :blush: (I craft a lot and never TP + I lost a fair amount of time changing my Hotbar again and again until I felt comfortable enough with my combos ^^' )


  • M6KPMHHLR3 wrote: »
    So basically turn the game back into a chore, the same chore that was complained about until they changed it. Also leveling teaches you nothing, in ff14/vindictus etc it takes awhile to get from 1-70(ff14)/90(vindictus) and people at end game still have no idea about gear, rotations, to not face tank mechanics.

    Vindictus heavily punished bad play by pulling a worse form of tera by utterly breaking your armor but many players still never learn or go beyond mashing light attacks.

    Tripling the time it takes will only further induce more lazy basic attack key holders and frustrations of being partied with people like that.

    The only people that learn the game are the ones who researched what your skills did or looked outside the game for optimal rotations.

    Virtually every mmo sans Blade and Soul never teaches you how to play your class.

    Not turning the game back into a chore, turning it back into a game. Where you actually have to play through it and accomplish objectives to progress and reach the END GAME & Raids. The Raids are supposed to be a reward for accomplishing everything else, and testing the limits of what you learned to acquire the Raid Gear, pushing those limits for further Raids. My problem with the current state of Tera is that there's so much EXP flying around, you don't get to play the game. The world is HUGE in Tera. I've maxed characters seeing less than 20% of it. You just wind up max level and only get to spend time in Raids. It's like there's no Tera outside of that. Then, they go the extra mile to make most of the earlier Raids pointless. You get better gear faster just accidentally finishing Dailies. Basically, there's so much catering to lazy people going on, there's no game left to play, and no rewards to "earn". Everyone gets the same things handed to them over and over. A player should feel like he's putting in some kind of work or time to earn something, not have so much thrown at them they don't have room for it all. At that point, you might as well be watching a YouTuber show off his collection.
  • Asylsson wrote: »
    Can just agree with this. If a player doesn't want to learn by himself how to play there is no way a tutorial through leveling will show any improvement in his gameplay. And there is no way, these kind of players will not access end game.

    FF14, my first MMO at its very beginning, had a primal (Titan Brutal) players had to pass to get the relic weapon. Iirc it would also give you access to the end game raid content (CoB). It was so difficult, under average players like me (at the time :P) had to spend weeks to pass it and would only work if the party learned how to read patterns, dodge things, use buffs & debuffs...etc...other than that you would never pass it. My party actually improved a lot after this and today I'm happy this thing existed because I actually became a much better player.
    And you know what ? People managed to buy their way through this content because elite players would carry them for Gils (Gold)...So there you got a "noob barrier" letting just the door open to end game for potencially above average players and look what happens...

    I don't mean to tell this would be a good system, nor do I want to judge any players. I just threw an example showing that if people don't want to improve by themselves it's not possible to force them to do so, no matter how.

    Back to Tera : Can confirm, there is to much PEX reward on the main quest scenario alone. I treat open world mobs as if they were threatened with extinction and side quest like plague to avoid overleveling. Currently playing since about 10 days, 2-3 hours a day, level 46 warrior :blush: (I craft a lot and never TP + I lost a fair amount of time changing my Hotbar again and again until I felt comfortable enough with my combos ^^' )


    There are easy ways around most things, but I'd like to simply focus on agreeing with your last paragraph. Great way to state that, by the way. Treating open world mobs like they're threatened with extinction is exactly how I feel. And see, I remember days when some side questing would be required for the game if you were solo, otherwise you'd be too weak to just fly all the way through the story. So you could either group with a friend to make up for it, or you did the side quests for extra exp, (hopefully) better gear, or at least a health potion to carry along.
  • M6KPMHHLR3 wrote: »
    So basically turn the game back into a chore, the same chore that was complained about until they changed it. Also leveling teaches you nothing, in ff14/vindictus etc it takes awhile to get from 1-70(ff14)/90(vindictus) and people at end game still have no idea about gear, rotations, to not face tank mechanics.

    Vindictus heavily punished bad play by pulling a worse form of tera by utterly breaking your armor but many players still never learn or go beyond mashing light attacks.

    Tripling the time it takes will only further induce more lazy basic attack key holders and frustrations of being partied with people like that.

    The only people that learn the game are the ones who researched what your skills did or looked outside the game for optimal rotations.

    Virtually every mmo sans Blade and Soul never teaches you how to play your class.

    I can say this better. They don't have to increase difficulty to the point it's all a chore, just not as fast as it is now. Leveling itself doesn't teach you mechanics, it's the time spent fighting and grinding at that level. When you have no Avatar weapon for guaranteed crits, and your abilities aren't all strong enough to 1-shot most enemies you see. You have to use multiple abilities multiple times, for a long period of time. You get to see which ones are & aren't as effective. You get to learn a playstyle and abilities that fit it. Adding in difficulty is what teaches these things to people. Make them ask each other and practice. Just throwing more gear, stronger gear, and more levels at players for nothing makes this problem worse, it doesn't fix it.
  • > @MD4EEW6RDN said:
    > Allow me to preface this by saying I am not talking about the Raids or boss fights therein; I am referring to the gameplay as a whole. I also do not want this post to appear to be crying for Tera to turn into Vanilla WoW, but it is the most well-known example for me to base things on.
    >
    > I think my main complaint will be about experience gain and the Daily Vanguard Missions. I love playing the game, doing side quests, and getting involved in the story. Tera has a great one to tell. But it seems like doing all the side quests, or even just sticking to story missions, you out-level and out-scale the zones too quickly to stick around doing anything. By the time I'm really getting into a zone and learning what's going on in the area, I'm already late in moving to the next one, and I haven't completed 10% of the available mission. I feel like I'm being forced to fly towards end-game without be allowed the chance to just enjoy playing the game. You just teleport around turning stuff in, and the Gear Rewards from all the Dailys are equivalent to the Raid Gear, so there's no point trying to farm the latter. Even if you take the time to farm the Raid Gear, you level so much by the time you get it, it's useless. Back in Vanilla Wow, most of the basic missions felt like Raids you had to gather friends and plan a night for. You all had to get the quest, group up, and walk across the map together for an hour to find the place. It took a while to do, required some teamwork to avoid dying a lot, and felt really rewarding by the time you got to turn it it. And the little green dagger you found on the trip felt like an insane DPS boost. By no means do I think Tera should be quite that difficult to play and progress through, but at least stop throwing rewards and levels at us like they're going out of style. Make us actually earn something to feel pride in. Lvl 65 should feel like an accomplishment and reward after a month or so, not a requirement after 3 days of gameplay. The Raids should feel like a major undertaking for players that have built up a lot of individual strength and want to test themselves as a group, not feel like the only challenging aspect of the game.
    >
    > Someone else may be able to state this better, I'm not very eloquent, but I believe the ideology of my beliefs are apparent. I'm not a programmer, so I don't really know HOW to go about correcting this, but the simplest thing to think would be to reduce all exp gains by 30% or so, remove Daily Vanguard crap that give insane rewards, and remove some of the teleporting around. Anyone else agree or have similar ideas? I know I'm rambling and jumping around a lot, and for that I apologize. I have a scattered mind and it cost me greatly in school. I guess a TL;DR for this would be Tera throws so much at you so fast, it's impossible to slow down and really get involved with the game.

    Ooooh great sooo on top of ssss luck with RGN with feedstock pretty much enchanting and anything that includes RGN you also what this game to take up to 2 weeks to level up one character so making people not to want to make more characters because if we get bored level up just 3 characters not quick because this still takes me about a week sorry I don't no life the game, it's pretty much gonna suck out the fun or the want to level up multiple characters.

    MY SUGGESTION IS STOP NO LIFING THE GAME GO THROUGH THE STORY LINE QUEST ONLY TO GAIN XP WITH OUT BEING ELITE OR DOUBLE XP AND I WILL GUARANTEE YOU THAT YOUR WISH WILL COME TRUE
  • You don't seem to understand...I'm not elite and even then I gain waaaaaay too much EXP. Truth is, as much as I sometimes would like to take dungeon twice, I cannot do it because it could overlevel me for the next dungeon...
    Yeah Double XP may cause this to happen but I'm not waiting till the end of the event to play.

    About the time you need to pex your Alts, imo this is way too quick too. There are people who manage to reach max level on 2-3 classes within a weekend. And sorry but your argument about people not wanting to create Alts because of more time investement is bull****. I've seen it in other games.
  • MD4, I agree totally with you.
    Hello, a 2 week old player here.
    I started playing Tera as an accident, I had Ps4 Plus and it notified me about the cool items I could get for free in the store if claimed them, so I downloaded it. I decided to start playing it for melancholy purposes mostly. I can't play MMOs as much as I would like(Normally).

    Im telling you this because I need you to see I am not biased, I love the graphics in your game, but I've played other MMOs that do it too (Although Tera's armors are the most flamboyant and cool).



    > @MD4EEW6RDN said:
    > I think my main complaint will be about experience gain and the Daily Vanguard Missions. I love playing the game, doing side quests, and getting involved in the story. Tera has a great one to tell. But it seems like doing all the side quests, or even just sticking to story missions, you out-level and out-scale the zones too quickly to stick around doing anything. By the time I'm really getting into a zone and learning what's going on in the area, I'm already late in moving to the next one, and I haven't completed 10% of the available mission. I feel like I'm being forced to fly towards end-game without be allowed the chance to just enjoy playing the game.



    I couldn't be more in favor. I have been trying to enjoy the game and missing out on most of the story
    One thing I noticed extremely off the chart is I reached level 20 without even having to finish the Tutorial. I was reaching level 18 by the time I was released in Velika for the first time (less than 2 hours of gameplay), and as far as I know, by level 20 you become a high ranking officer in the story-line.

    That's where I realized I had elite status.

    You give Elite status to players for 15 days, enabling them to literally level up their way to 45 without breaking a sweat.
    I have two level 60 characters as of today, playing around 4 hours every other day, and I DO NOT level up fast. Believe me, I love to engage in conversation with other players, I love to party around and help new players, I thoroughly enjoy questing canonically in order to see the plot your writing team developed over countless hours of typing. Now, I know what you're thinking, "Why can't you just run through the quests after you reach a certain level, or keep going through the quests without giving regard to level".

    Do you like playing a game where a single attack murders every monster presented to you?

    I think the game is meant to be played differently, and I also believe the developers did that too.

    Also...
    See, I already beat the final boss.

    What's the point of me wanting to go through the struggle, the creation and the difficulty of this game, if I can beat it in less than a week?

    Now I'm reaching endgame content without even understanding what half of your stats mean. Of course, someone with experience can tell what Critical strike is, what stats modify strength or HP.
    But your game is not the kind of game that copies every other game. You've been in this for a few years now, and have your own set of updates. Your own breed of MMO so to speak.

    So why don't you give players a give experience curve to have time to get into the roll of things?

    If people REALLY want to power level, shouldn't they be encouraged to make the game better for everyone?

    Experience boons from partying.
    Experience boons from questing with others.
    Experience boons from helping others complete quests.

    I mean considering how important it is to keep players engaged, we should strive to motivate them to PLAY and make friends.
    Don't people usually buy more from your shop the more engaged they are in the game?
    I think first and foremost you are a business model, which thrives in people giving their time and money to this place.

    But hey, that's just my opinion. Anyone is entitled to disagree and rebut it.

    Also, if there's a way to block EXP that would solve some of the issue, considering they're allowing us to block exp gains to retain difficulty.

    OR to minimize experience gains. (Let's say you make an NPC who reduces exp by a fixed %)
  • The game will never specifically cater to any new medium as it's just a copy of a copy. So unless something changes in kTera it will continue to be blast to 65 and grind/focus on GearScore.
  • So you're basically saying adapt or leave? I refuse, sorry.
Sign In or Register to comment.